What do you guys think of Radiant Historia?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GreySeal9 (23275 posts) -

I know the consensus is that this game is amazing, but I'd like to hear individual opinions.

I'm playing it right now and these are my impressions:

Positives:

+Amazing storyline and storytelling. I cannot stress enough how interesting the story is and how well the game tells it.

+Very likeable characters. I love Marco and Raynie even in spite of them being total oddballs that don't quite mesh with Stocke.

+The time travel concept is used brilliantly. While it's not nearly as good as Chrono Trigger, I feel this game actually makes better use of the time travel concept. The structure of the game has me wanting to see how everything plays out.

+Very satisfying and rewarding combat system. I love trying to get enemies onto the same square to more efficiently deal damage.

+Good music

Negatives:

-The environments and the art style in general are quite bland, which makes the game feel a bit uninspired even in spite of the amazing storyline. I really don't get why they couldn't have tried harder to make the game and its locations more interesting to look at.

-Seems to be a lot of backtracking through the uninspired environments even early on in the game.

#2 Posted by GreySeal9 (23275 posts) -

I'd also like to say that Marco has an extremely weird design. Dude is way to cute to for me to take him seriously as a warrior.

And yes, I only posted that to bump my topic.

#3 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22014 posts) -

I just bought this game waiting for it to be delivering here. how is the leveling up? does it take awhile to reach a level? and does the team leveling up with you? this was kinda problem with in DQIX though I can somewhat understand the execution.

#4 Posted by GreySeal9 (23275 posts) -

I just bought this game waiting for it to be delivering here. how is the leveling up? does it take awhile to reach a level? and does the team leveling up with you? this was kinda problem with in DQIX though I can somewhat understand the execution.

From what I've played, you level up really fast in this game.

Your inactive party members get at least a fraction of the experience that active party members do. I haven't really been paying attention to how much they get (since I've never changed up my party), but I do know that they get some.

#5 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

I think the strongpoint of games like that is the story...for me it's always worth it if the story is good.

#6 Posted by wiouds (4809 posts) -

I am enjoying the combat but time travel is one of story element that I do not like. I would not mind a bit more control of how the character roles grow.

#7 Posted by GreySeal9 (23275 posts) -

@wiouds said:

I am enjoying the combat but time travel is one of story element that I do not like. I would not mind a bit more control of how the character roles grow.

What don't you like about it?

#8 Posted by klonoafanboy122 (200 posts) -

im probebrly not gonna get it i am picky with jrpgs very picky

#9 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

The backtracking carries on throughout the entire story. It's just how the game is setup. I was genuinely surprised near the end game when I realized how few locations there actually are.

That said it's one of my favorite DS titles, second only to 9 Hours, 9 Persons and 9 Doors. I've sold most of my DS games outside of a few titles. Radiant Historia obviously made the cut. The story really was something great, as well as the battle system and character development. I remember the only plot hole I really felt the game had was at the end of the third chapter or so. The boss battles get pretty darn amazing later on, requiring some creative tactics

But above all that soundtrack is amazing. Mechanical Kingdom, Blue Radiance and The Red Locus are my favorites. Shimomura is a queen amongst composers. Really love her work (Kingdom Hearts series and Super Mario RPG series)

#10 Posted by wiouds (4809 posts) -

@GreySeal9: For me it seem that Time travel become the cure all in games.

"The city was over run by Demons. What do we do?" TIME TRAVEL

"The bridge is out. What do we do?" TIME TRAVEL

"The food cold. What do we do?" TIME TRAVEL.

#11 Edited by gargungulunk (123 posts) -

The things that make this game stand-out are the music, characters and battle system mechanics...and the fonts/menu style, the drop-shadow on the text lets it read really well (I'm being serious).

That said, I still haven't finished the game...I'm somewhere in the final hour(s).

I've taken 2 long breaks from the game, mainly due to not remembering where to go next. Sometimes it felt like so much backtracking, where even the cause & effect of time travel lost it's appeal...especially when having to go through all the cut-scenes for most "warps". The only other drawback would be that at times the map really felt cramped with it's exploring, like you can only go a certain path.

It delivers a solid woven story however, I just need to get back into it.

#12 Posted by GreySeal9 (23275 posts) -

@wiouds said:

I guess I can understand that, but time travel and the idea of different choices>different scenarios is what makes the story interesting IMO.

#13 Posted by GreySeal9 (23275 posts) -

The things that make this game stand-out are the music, characters and battle system mechanics...and the fonts/menu style, the drop-shadow on the text lets it read really well (I'm being serious).

That said, I still haven't finished the game...I'm somewhere in the final hour(s).

I've taken 2 long breaks from the game, mainly due to not remembering where to go next. Sometimes it felt like so much backtracking, where even the cause & effect of time travel lost it's appeal...especially when having to go through all the cut-scenes for most "warps". The only other drawback would be that at times the map really felt cramped with it's exploring, like you can only go a certain path.

It delivers a solid woven story however, I just need to get back into it.

It does feel "cramped" but I could deal with that if the game's art design was not so bland. I mean, Final Fantasy X felt cramped as well, but the environments were rich and beautiful. Radiant Historia doesn't have the aesthetic beauty to offset that feeling of being "cramped".

#14 Edited by turtlethetaffer (15579 posts) -

It's an amazing game. Terrific storyline, great cast of characters, side quests that actually flesh the story out a lot, awesome battle system and HOLY FVCKING SHIT THE SOUNDTRACK.

It does have a few flaws, like an overabundance of linearity and sometimes objectives aren't clear enough (like, you need to go some place back on another timeline to get a specific item but good luck finding that exact spot). But everything else in the game was just amazing. It's my third favorite game on the DS (Knights in the Nightmare being first and Dragon Quest IX being second simply because of how many hours I have sunk into it).

It's a game that was poorly advertised that should have been more well known simply because it does so much so well. It's got pretty much everything that makes a great RPG, especially with battle customization, simply because just about any combination of characters works well enough to use effectively as long as you can come up with the right strategy. Plus, Dat true ending (after beating all the side quests). ALMOST brough a tear to my eye, but not quite.

As an aside, I liked the visuals overall, even though they aren't the game's strong suit. The best part about them was with the character and enemy designs; some of the armored guys you fought are just badass. The environments are a mixed bag; I never said 'wow" to any of them but I didn't dislike any of them either.

#15 Edited by GreySeal9 (23275 posts) -

It's an amazing game. Terrific storyline, great cast of characters, side quests that actually flesh the story out a lot, awesome battle system and HOLY FVCKING SHIT THE SOUNDTRACK.

It does have a few flaws, like an overabundance of linearity and sometimes objectives aren't clear enough (like, you need to go some place back on another timeline to get a specific item but good luck finding that exact spot). But everything else in the game was just amazing. It's my third favorite game on the DS (Knights in the Nightmare being first and Dragon Quest IX being second simply because of how many hours I have sunk into it).

It's a game that was poorly advertised that should have been more well known simply because it does so much so well. It's got pretty much everything that makes a great RPG, especially with battle customization, simply because just about any combination of characters works well enough to use effectively as long as you can come up with the right strategy. Plus, Dat true ending (after beating all the side quests). ALMOST brough a tear to my eye, but not quite.

Damnit. Now I feel I have to get the true ending despite not being a completionist!

#16 Posted by GreySeal9 (23275 posts) -

What are you picky about? If you're picky about story, this is a game you need to have. It's one of the more sophisticated RPG tales out there.

#17 Posted by klonoafanboy122 (200 posts) -

@klonoafanboy122 said:

What are you picky about? If you're picky about story, this is a game you need to have. It's one of the more sophisticated RPG tales out there.

actualy its more to do with setting im not very big on the medievil history style games

i dont mind persona games because there set in modern times

the only exceptions i have for fantasy rpgs are atelier and grandia ^^

i migth give it ago wether or not i enjoy it is another story

#18 Edited by turtlethetaffer (15579 posts) -

@GreySeal9: The True Ending explains everything AND gives a satisfying closure to the story. Do it up, use a guide, that's what I did since most of the side quests are hard to come by anyways.

#19 Posted by GreySeal9 (23275 posts) -

@GreySeal9: The True Ending explains everything AND gives a satisfying closure to the story. Do it up, use a guide, that's what I did since most of the side quests are hard to come by anyways.

How many more hours would doing all the sidequests add onto my playtime?

#20 Posted by wiouds (4809 posts) -

@wiouds said:

I guess I can understand that, but time travel and the idea of different choices>different scenarios is what makes the story interesting IMO.

I am starting to hate those type of choices in game. I like it when the heroes need to work through problems on their own instead of using the same thing again and again.

#21 Posted by turtlethetaffer (15579 posts) -

@GreySeal9: I would say 5- 10 hours depending on how much walkthrough you use.

#22 Edited by GreySeal9 (23275 posts) -

@GreySeal9: I would say 5- 10 hours depending on how much walkthrough you use.

5-10 hours sounds reasonable.

#23 Posted by turtlethetaffer (15579 posts) -

@GreySeal9: Do it up. Like I said, completing every side quest makes the ending feel much more "complete" than it does initially. this is in part because each quest usually ties in to a specific party character, fleshing them out more, and because there's an added scene that explains the final thing in the normal ending. Trust me when I say that it's worth it. Like I said, just use a guide since both finding and completing them usually requires a very, very specific set of steps. That was the game's biggest flaw IMO; it didn't really explain what you need to do well with the side quests.