What do you guys think of FFVIII?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GreySeal9 (24118 posts) -

I'm playing through it again and I must say I'm having a much better time with it this time around. To me, it's really great JRPG with some pretty noticeable problems. Due to drawing and overeliance on GFs, the combat aspect of the game simply doesn't feel as fluid as the other ones. Not to mention that the junction/GF system is overly convoluted and is too easy to exploit if you don't practice self control.Drawing is kind of cool, but it gets pretty old pretty fast. I wish there was a more efficient way of doing it. Plus, the level scaling was very ill-advised. All this combines to make the combat/character building portion of the game feel really weird. It's not terrible, but it feels "off".

That being said, the art design is so creative and gorgeous (I don't think I can name a single JRPG that looks as distinctive as this game does; it's the least 'fantasyish' but it still manages to have the most striking look), the music is beautiful in usual FF fashion, the story is extremely interesting, and the game has so many interesting scenarios and so much creativity. So many moments stick out. For instance, the "assassination" at the end of disc 1 or that part where you have to disconnect the train cars. I think FFVIII might actually be the best as far as creative scenarios is concerned. It's just unfortunately badly let down by systems that weren't thought through. The pacing and story compells you to keep playing like the others, but there's no escaping the feeling that the combat is just not as fun.

I'm even warming up to the character cast a more. Squall is still a giant douche, and Rinoa can be annoying at times (tho kind of endearing at others), but Zell seems like a cool person to hang out with even if he's dumb as rocks, I like Selphie's slight craziness, Irvine is an entertaining person, Laguna is a great guy, and Quistis still feels like she's just kind of there if you get what I mean. Also, Edea is probably the most imposing villain outside of Kefka IMO.

All in all, I still feel it's the weakest PS1 FF and it seems kind of unpolished (by Square standards) compared to FFIX (my favorite), but I think it shows the power of FF that the game can be so flawed in some ways but still be a great JRPG all things considered. The main reason FFIX edges it out so much is the better character cast, better visual presentation, the more lively world, funner battles, and just being alot more well put together, but I have to admit that FFVIII is a little more unique and creative. Same with FFVII, although I really don't like the character cast in that game any better than VIII's and the visuals are much worse; the game is just more well thought out and has less flaws.

What do you guys think of FFVIII?

#2 Posted by Seabas989 (10136 posts) -

Terrible game with an excellent soundtrack and great presentation at the time.

#3 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

My 2nd favorite Final Fantasy, i love it.

#4 Posted by GreySeal9 (24118 posts) -

Seabas989

Honestly, I feel the presentation still holds up, mostly because of the prerendered backgrounds which still look extremely good. It looks really sophisticated.

I can see why you think it's terrible tho. Before this playthrough, it really rubbed me the wrong way and many things about it still do. But I really like the "whole package" this time.

#5 Posted by GreySeal9 (24118 posts) -

Another thought: as interesting looking/interesting to explore as the world is, I do have to say that the areas feels really confined compared to FFIX. I mean, I know FFIX hardly has big areas and I know that confined areas is kind of a staple of FF, but it feels like FFIX gave you more space to walk around. Is this just me?

#6 Posted by GreySeal9 (24118 posts) -

crimsonman1245

What's your 1rst?

#7 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

GreySeal9

What's your 1rst?

Final Fantasy VII.

#8 Posted by Seabas989 (10136 posts) -

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

GreySeal9

Honestly, I feel the presentation still holds up, mostly because of the prerendered backgrounds which still look extremely good. It looks really sophisticated.

I can see why you think it's terrible tho. Before this playthrough, it really rubbed me the wrong way and many things about it still do. But I really like the "whole package" this time.

Well it doesn't help that I've played a lot more JRPGs that I enjoyed since playing VIII. Went back to play it again but stopped after the 'dance" scene. I have a huge backlog so replaying games I didn't like feels like a waste of time.

At least it was the first to use the Dualshock.

#9 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

It's one of my favorite FFs. It is sadly overshadowed by FFVII most of the time and doesn't receive the attention it deserves. Loved it though.

#10 Posted by arkhamcity42 (14 posts) -

honestly this is one of my least liked ff games. to sum it up this game is all style over substance. the assisination part that you like so much ihs what made me hate the game. it was like something out of a bollywood film cuz it was so unlikely of a plot like that happening. plus the **** PLOT TWIST in the middle of the game where it just so happened that most of the main characters used to be from the same orphanage, which they all forgot about (DAFUQ) because of the GF, made me drop the controller that instant. plus how the hell did cid ever get with a digital hottie like the matron. its also funny how the matron turned out to be the sorceress and her husband the leader of seed. smh...plot was annoing and characters like irvine, selphie, and quistis were shallow and useless, story and gameplay wise. i tried to refrain from using negative language and i hope instead of calling me a retarded **** (cuz its forbiddenn to have an opinion on the internet) someone could counter what i pointed out and enlighten me. srsly tho did i miss something? cuz this game sold millions for some reason. ps i love all the other ff's even 13

#11 Posted by Bubble_Man (3090 posts) -

I very much enjoyed it. For me, the most memorable parts are when you get to control Laguna and see parts of his story. I could have played an entire game about him.

#12 Posted by paranoidpixie95 (2198 posts) -

It's my second favourite game of all time and in my opinion the best game I've ever played. By that, I mean I like Gran Turismo 2 more, but I think overall Final Fantasy VIII is a better game.

#13 Posted by Fear- (525 posts) -
The game gets way to much hate, and Squall is one of the best characters in FF in terms of character development.
#14 Posted by Metamania (11973 posts) -

Seabas989

Indeed. The second worst FF in history. The only good thing about that game was the soundtrack.

It's garbage, it's hateful, and it's bulls***. End of story.

#15 Posted by spike6958 (4716 posts) -
VIII is my least favorite Final Fantasy. The game had so many problems, the battle system was ridiculous and had zero challange, the characters are emotionless and boring, and the story is, TBH I don't even know, and that's after beating the game 3 times. There is only two things good about it, the soundtrack, and the card game, seriously, that card game was so much fun, but it's not worth suffering though the rest of the game just to play it. Give me Final Fantasy IX any day.
#16 Posted by spike6958 (4716 posts) -
VIII is my least favorite Final Fantasy. The game had so many problems, the battle system was ridiculous and had zero challange, the characters are emotionless and boring, and the story is, TBH I don't even know, and that's after beating the game 3 times. There is only two things good about it, the soundtrack, and the card game, seriously, that card game was so much fun, but it's not worth suffering though the rest of the game just to play it. Give me Final Fantasy IX any day.
#17 Posted by TheLoneMortal (818 posts) -

My least favorite of the PS1 FFs like you, Seal. I still enjoyed it, the music and presentation was top notch, combat system was pretty fun though the junction system didn't rub me the right way. Triple Triad was one of my favorite mini-games as well. The cast and story was pretty weak in my eyes.

#18 Posted by CLOUDsea (1085 posts) -

It's very easy to break the game without trying (do not attempt to draw for long periods of time; you can easily become overpowered without it). So on the gameplay front it's somewhat of a mess ... but on the other hand it's a great adventure and one of the more unique JRPGs out there with a distinct aesthetic, which as far as I can see, hasn't been replicated.

#19 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -

For an PS1 game, I thought it did pretty well. The music was great, & the cutscenes were fantastic. It'll be nice if they did a remake for it, just like how just about everyone wants a FF7 remake, or atleast a sequel.

#20 Posted by nekrothing (387 posts) -

Pros:

-The futuristic/realistic setting, it was a nice change of pace from the other Final Fantasy titles.

-Similar to the first point, the game had a nice art-style. I also enjoyed the non-deformed character models.

-Quality FMVs, as always.

-Pretty decent OST.

Cons:

-Horrible, unlikable cast of characters.

-Terrible plot that becomes completely convoluted towards the end, with a love story that felt completely forced.

-Shallow villain with an underdeveloped backstory whose motivations were never truly revealed. Some fans were so in denial about how poorly developed the villain was that they tried to perpetuate their own ludicrous theory that Ultimecia was Rinoa just to make Ultimecia seem more interesting. Reminds me of those ME3 fans that came up with the IT theory because of how in denial they were about how bad the ending was.

-Junction system is a piece of counterintuitive, cumbersome trash. It's confusing when you first start playing the game, but when you finally understand how the Junction system works, the game becomes exploitably easy. Let's not forget how often the game forces you to change party members, requiring you to constantly switch Junctions between characters on an annoyingly consistent basis.

Even when you're judging this game as a standalone title, not comparing it to FFVII, it still doesn't hold up very well. Speaking of which, I don't even like FFVII, but I think that it's better than this. The combat system wasn't an exploitable mess, the villain at least had some sort of backstory and character development, Cloud only acted like an emo brat for half the game (as opposed to Squall acting like one from start to finish), and the ending was relayed in a coherent manner.

#21 Posted by GreySeal9 (24118 posts) -

My least favorite of the PS1 FFs like you, Seal. I still enjoyed it, the music and presentation was top notch, combat system was pretty fun though the junction system didn't rub me the right way. Triple Triad was one of my favorite mini-games as well. The cast and story was pretty weak in my eyes.

TheLoneMortal

I love Triple Triad. It's probably the most well-executed minigame in an FF game.

#22 Posted by GreySeal9 (24118 posts) -

Pros:

-The futuristic/realistic setting, it was a nice change of pace from the other Final Fantasy titles.

-Similar to the first point, the game had a nice art-style. I also enjoyed the non-deformed character models.

-Pretty decent OST.

Cons:

-Terrible plot that becomes completely convoluted towards the end, with a love story that felt completely forced.

-Shallow villain with an underdeveloped backstory whose motivations were never truly revealed. Some fans were so in denial about how poorly developed the villain was that they tried to perpetuate their own ludicrous theory that Ultimecia was Rinoa just to make Ultimecia seem more interesting. Reminds me of those ME3 fans that came up with the IT theory because of how in denial they were about how bad the ending was.

-Junction system is a piece of counterintuitive, cumbersome trash. It's confusing when you first start playing the game, but when you finally understand how the Junction system works, the game becomes exploitably easy. Let's not forget how often the game forces you to change party members, requiring you to constantly switch Junctions between characters on an annoyingly consistent basis.

Even when you're judging this game as a standalone title, not comparing it to FFVII, it still doesn't hold up very well. Speaking of which, I don't even like FFVII, but I think that it's better than this. The combat system wasn't an exploitable mess, the villain at least had some sort of backstory and character development, Cloud only acted like an emo brat for half the game (as opposed to Squall acting like one from start to finish), and the ending was relayed in a coherent manner.

nekrothing

Well, to be fair, Kefka was never really well-developed in terms of motivations, tho I guess he didn't "need" the development like the sorceress did.

#23 Posted by NinjaLegacy (184 posts) -

Yea I was hugely dissapointed with VIII after falling in love with 7.

#24 Posted by nekrothing (387 posts) -

Well, to be fair, Kefka was never really well-developed in terms of motivations, tho I guess he didn't "need" the development like the sorceress did.GreySeal9

Exactly, he didn't need the development because he was a pretty straight-forward villain. He just hated everyone and wanted to kill everything, pure misanthropy. It would've been nice to know why he was such a psychopath (some sort of traumatic experience?) but it's not really necessary to appreciate him as a villain. With Ultimecia though, we know almost nothing about her. It got to the point where fans tried to come up with their own crazy theories as to who Ultimecia was and what her true motivations were (the most popular one being Ultimecia=Rinoa from the future, although this was officially debunked by Square) since the game never tells us much.

#25 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

I hated VII, but really enjoyed VIII. Go Figger.

:)

#26 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

Square somehow managed to make a Final Fantasy game with more broken combat than FF VI. Like many others have said, I couldn't stand the characters, the progression of your characters in terms of combat strength either feels underwhelming or roflstomp overpowered and perhaps my biggest gripe is the story.

I mean.. what? I've beaten the game several times, once as a kid and another 2 years ago. Each time I thought I was getting trolled. It was just... stupid. Stupid.

But I don't like VII all that much either, but VIII did some things better than VII, despite the badness.

FF IX is my favorite. It's male lead actually acts like a man.

#27 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Square somehow managed to make a Final Fantasy game with more broken combat than FF VI. Like many others have said, I couldn't stand the characters, the progression of your characters in terms of combat strength either feels underwhelming or roflstomp overpowered and perhaps my biggest gripe is the story.

I mean.. what? I've beaten the game several times, once as a kid and another 2 years ago. Each time I thought I was getting trolled. It was just... stupid. Stupid.

But I don't like VII all that much either, but VIII did some things better than VII, despite the badness.

MLBknights58

No. ****ing. WAY. You will never get me to believe that any of the Fancy-Lads in FF games act with any sort of male attributes, whatsoever... It just doesn't HAPPEN.

:lol:

#28 Posted by GreySeal9 (24118 posts) -

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

MonkeySpot

No. ****ing. WAY. You will never get me to believe that any of the Fancy-Lads in FF games act with any sort of male attributes, whatsoever... It just doesn't HAPPEN.

I find this comment pretty puzzling. The FF leads are not super manly by any means, but I don't see how one can possibly argue that they don't display any male attributes.For instance, Squall doesn't like to express emotion or warmth, which is a stereotypical attribute of men. Zidane constantly has pvssy on this mind, which is another stereotypical attribute of men. Tidus is something of a jock and loves the attention he gets for it, which is another stereotypical attribute. The incredibly douchey Snow from FFXIII goes around trying to impress his girl with heroics, which is yet another stereotypical male attibute.

Also, I think it's very very difficult to swallow the argument that the FF leads act in a way that doesn't seem male. Some of them look kind of girly and the Final Fantasy games from 8 onward have a rather feminine aesthetic, but they certainly don't act girly.

#29 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

Played it halfway and really enjoyed it. Need to start over and play it again sometime. I've forgotton most of the plot.

#30 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

GreySeal9

I find this comment pretty puzzling.

(uninteresting blather edited out for sanity)

Relax. I'm not attacking FF, simply making a JOKE... Jezuz, where do they come from???

To all FF fans out there who seem to think I don't play anything but CoD and couldn't possibly know or understand "their world" - I HAVE PLAYED THESE GAMES, enjoyed them, AND RESPECT THEM to this DAY. Now, LIGHTEN UP.

:evil:

PS - DragonQuest uber-alles, beechez! LoL

#31 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -
I liked the game but agree with most of the problems stated in this thread. Over all I didn't like it as much as IX but thought it was better than VII as far the PS1 main FFs go.
#32 Posted by GreySeal9 (24118 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

MonkeySpot

I find this comment pretty puzzling.

(uninteresting blather edited out for sanity)

Relax. I'm not attacking FF, simply making a JOKE... Jezuz, where do they come from???

To all FF fans out there who seem to think I don't play anything but CoD and couldn't possibly know or understand "their world" - I HAVE PLAYED THESE GAMES, enjoyed them, AND RESPECT THEM to this DAY. Now, LIGHTEN UP.

:evil:

PS - DragonQuest uber-alles, beechez! LoL

I never thought you were attacking FF. I just thought your comment was serious, so I argued against it.

#33 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Are you one of those people who attends live concerts of FF music and gets all weepy?

#34 Posted by GreySeal9 (24118 posts) -

Are you one of those people who attends live concerts of FF music and gets all weepy?

MonkeySpot

No. I would never do that. I do masturbate to the game covers tho.

#35 Posted by Gemini_Red (3290 posts) -

[QUOTE="nekrothing"]

Pros:

-Pretty decent OST.

Cons:

GreySeal9

Well, to be fair, Kefka was never really well-developed in terms of motivations, tho I guess he didn't "need" the development like the sorceress did.

Kefka was a sociopath and a nihilist. Those alone were his motivations. I do remember someone stating in the game that his mind snapped after being infused with magitek, but the only extra thing I could think of that they could have done is show how Kefka was prior to that....although I'm willing to bet he was rather unstable even before he was infused.

#36 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

GreySeal9

I find this comment pretty puzzling. The FF leads are not super manly by any means, but I don't see how one can possibly argue that they don't display any male attributes.For instance, Squall doesn't like to express emotion or warmth, which is a stereotypical attribute of men. Zidane constantly has pvssy on this mind, which is another stereotypical attribute of men. Tidus is something of a jock and loves the attention he gets for it, which is another stereotypical attribute. The incredibly douchey Snow from FFXIII goes around trying to impress his girl with heroics, which is yet another stereotypical male attibute.

Also, I think it's very very difficult to swallow the argument that the FF leads act in a way that doesn't seem male. Some of them look kind of girly and the Final Fantasy games from 8 onward have a rather feminine aesthetic, but they certainly don't act girly.

The comment was more of a joke and meant to be playful stab at FF VIII more than anything. :P Sorry bout that, but it seemed to stir up some good discussion.

But yes, I wasn't serious.