What constitutes an RPG

This topic is locked from further discussion.

poisonrain87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 poisonrain87
Member since 2007 • 62 Posts
When i sit and talk with my friends, i mistake some action/adventure games for rpgs. I was just wondering what it takes to consider a game an rpg? My usual take on it was, that the character must grow throughout the game, in either level or skill or etc. I don't think it necessarily has to be turn based, and there is a major direction that the character heads in but can have side quests. am i forgetting something?
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

It's extremely hard to answer that question due to the fact that the term is used to describe a lot of very different games. In its essence, role-playing means to take on a character role and create your own or play out existing stories. Stats and stuff, they're RPG elements, sure, but in my opinion, RPG's are all about freedom - whether it's the open-ended gameplay, branching storylines, the ablity to create your own storyline, character customization, etc. Some people would go so far as to say that Japanese RPG's aren't 'true' RPG's since they lack heavily in most of these areas.

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
  • Character Development and a Way to Advance Specific Character Skill Sets and even personality that have a direct impact on gameplay and interaction with the game world and the characters that populate it.
  • Choice....whether it be in handling scenerios, dialogue options, and ways of interacting with the game world.
  • Characters...ie Engaging NPCs....I think in order for an RPG to be memorable and good, you can't just create an environment and drop a player in and just have him running around like some sandbox games do...I think a good RPG also populates an open environment with engaging NPCs for the player to interact. An RPG that doesn't have engaging characters is simply shallow in my book.
  • A Set Storyline or Goal that drives the character through the game world....though an RPG requires giving the player choice in both developing the character and interacting with the environment, I also think a good RPG has a specific plot, scenerio, or storyline that the player must play though....I think this is one of the aspects that helps set an RPG apart from a standard sandbox game.
At the same time I don't think there is any rulebook to make a great RPG.....in fact, what I consider to be the best RPG ever made, Planescape Torment, took many RPG cliches and turned them on their head, such as dying being a key component to progress the story, ideas and words being more powerful and dangerous then weapons, and dialogue being a better way to defeat a tough opponent then fighting, among many others.
Hate_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Hate_Squad
Member since 2007 • 1357 Posts
Expect answers as:"customizing my characters nose,eyebrows and penis length"It's the damage that oblivion caused in the rpg genre.I don't say that it's bad but it's not an important element.I could live without that
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
I think it's mostly a quantifiable method of in-game character progression that ties RPGs together...
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts
The biggest thing I've noticed between most RPGs is no-skill combat. Basically knowing what to do is the vast majority of the battle. Most of the things you do is determined by numbers. The more twitch-based you make the game, the more it becomes an action-adventure sorta deal.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

The biggest thing I've noticed between most RPGs is no-skill combat. Basically knowing what to do is the vast majority of the battle. Most of the things you do is determined by numbers. The more twitch-based you make the game, the more it becomes an action-adventure sorta deal.AtomicTangerine

:lol:... you make both varieties sound lame.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

[QUOTE="AtomicTangerine"]The biggest thing I've noticed between most RPGs is no-skill combat. Basically knowing what to do is the vast majority of the battle. Most of the things you do is determined by numbers. The more twitch-based you make the game, the more it becomes an action-adventure sorta deal.Funkyhamster

:lol:... you make both varieties sound lame.

Yeah, because it IS lame! Seriously, when I can't get good at a game then that is lame. Having my character get better is fun too, but where the real satisfaction comes in is when YOU get better. Most RPGs just have numbers determine everything. Even in Oblivion, where the combat is real-time, the only thing you control is if you hit them and if they hit you. Damge is all done by a computer rolling the dice.

Nothing is wrong with it though, and if you like it, great. However, just imagine how awesome KOTOR could have been if the combat was like Jedi Outcast and everything else was untouched...

PuRe_CaNaDiaN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 PuRe_CaNaDiaN_
Member since 2003 • 204 Posts
When I really break Role Playing Game down, I think the most important part is the ability to choose your role. So, the choices are what makes it important. Choices can be in the beginning (where you setup your character), the middle (who you make friends with, what paths you take and what you equip), and in the end (where you determine the final state of the game). Now a choice here and there does not constitue an RPG, but a constant stream of them does. The more choices you have that affect the how the game is experienced, the more of an RPG I would consider it. While this definition might say what is an RPG, I'm not even going to get into what makes a GOOD RPG :P
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts
At this point, I would say generally any game that has experience points and character levels - or some sort of similar type of character progression - is considered an RPGs, although I'm sure someone will find some exception to that rule just to be annoying. :P
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
A game with a heavier focus in character development, mathematically or storywise. Most games we consider as just a plain RPG tend to have a heavy focus on both forms of character development.
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#12 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

When i sit and talk with my friends, i mistake some action/adventure games for rpgs. I was just wondering what it takes to consider a game an rpg? My usual take on it was, that the character must grow throughout the game, in either level or skill or etc. I don't think it necessarily has to be turn based, and there is a major direction that the character heads in but can have side quests. am i forgetting something?poisonrain87

The RPG genre puts an emphasis on character development through whatever means.

fattychubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fattychubs
Member since 2002 • 1079 Posts

Genres are really defined by the games they started those genres. Genres tend to evolved as well. Look at FPS games, started as Wolf3D and Doom, and all in First Person, now even some games in third person are considered FPS at heart.

For RPG's it was traditionally taking those pen and paper RPG experiences and putting them on PC, but it evolved into JRPG's like Final Fantasy, and action RPG's or hack and slashes like Diablo.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
It's games that mimic the style and mechanics of pen and paper roleplaying games. Of course, there can be many varieties. Action RPGs, MMORPGs, or whatever.
SentientGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 SentientGames
Member since 2004 • 633 Posts

It's games that mimic the style and mechanics of pen and paper roleplaying games. Of course, there can be many varieties. Action RPGs, MMORPGs, or whatever.nopalversion

That's about the best answer you can get. Technically, an RPG is a game where you and your friends sit around a table and act out a story as characters that you create. However, over the past two decades, more and more people have ceased playing RPG's, and started playing video-games that utilize elements of RPG's. To attract the "pen and paper" crowd, companies dubbed these videogames "Role-playing games", or more accurately, "Computer Role-playing games", or CRPGs.

Since videogames have become far more popular then RPG's, people have lazilly began dropping the "C" and now just call video-games with RPG elements "RPGs".

Some common elements that CRPG's have taken from Pen and Paper RPG's (which may justify calling the CRPG an RPG):

• Character Creation, Development, and Experience - Mimmicks the experience of creating a character (or role) for you to play, advancing that character through experience, and watching your character grow more and more powerful.
  • Open-Ended Gameplay - Attempts to mimmick the sense of freedom that comes with Pen and Paper RPG's. Since Pen and Paper RPG's are controlled by a "GameMaster" and take place entirely within the group's imagination, there's no limit to what can happen in the story, and the choices the players can make.
  • Dice Rolls and Character Stats - Since RPG's take place within a group's imagination, dice are used to determine success or failure of actions based off of a character's ability, not the players'. Many CRPG's out there have adapted this system.
  • Themes and Settings - You'll notice most, if not all, CRPG's out there take place in either a sci-fi or fantasy setting, and this stems back to the idea that these two settings are traditional in RPG's.

I'm sure I could think of a bunch more if I really thought about it, but these are just a few off the top of my head.

Joshy2004uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Joshy2004uk
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

The last two posts i think are as close to a perfect answer as you're going to get. I'd ask this then. please state whether you think these games should be classed as RPG or not (simple put yes or no after the name)

Oblivion

Zelda

Final Fantasy

Dark Messiah

Grand theft Auto (later additions)

Diablo

Mass effect

This should be quite interesting i think.

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
No on all counts.
Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

Some here have an extansive explanation, some I like, some I don't.

Simpler:

PROGRESSION. You character become a LOT stronger, and it isn't linked with your l33t reflexs. Anything which ruins this progression feeling, such as game balancing in a MMO already launched, must be considered carefully; as you risk losing everything.

Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#19 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

The last two posts i think are as close to a perfect answer as you're going to get. I'd ask this then. please state whether you think these games should be classed as RPG or not (simple put yes or no after the name)

Oblivion YES, most RPG of the list.

Zelda MAYBE

Final Fantasy BARELY

Dark Messiah NO

Grand theft Auto (later additions) NO

Diablo YES

Mass effect KINDA (this is an angry yes, since they are going away from been a true RPG compared to their previous titles)

Joshy2004uk

I used to say barely for Diablo, but with the lack of RPGs in the recent years, I guess it promote Diablo to been a real RPG afterall. The "action" component of Diablo is far less annoying than the "action" component of Mass Effect for example. It is pretty hard to be too slow or react poorly in Diablo and died because of that...while in Mass Effect...

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#20 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

Oblivion

Zelda

Final Fantasy

Dark Messiah

Grand theft Auto (later additions)

Diablo

Mass effect

Joshy2004uk

Technically speaking your list goes: Yes, No, Yes, No, No, Yes, Yes.

There are going to be people who say that Oblivion made your character a jack of all trades and all decisions in the game were meaningless (which they'd be right) but by gaming definition, it is still an RPG. Just not a good example of one. Same thing with Final Fantasy except in that game you have even less control of your character. Dark Messiah is more like Hexen with a few RPG elements, GTA has RPG elements but they take a backseat to sandbox gameplay. Diablo is an action/rpg. Zelda is an action adventure game and Mass Effect is an RPG.

bored2thaskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bored2thaskull
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I think its a blend of good characters, epic storyline and also good listening to your ears. My personal favorite is final fantasy 9. Now that's something unforgettable