What classic titles should I visit/re-visit in the new year?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Before I leap into the next generation, I usually like to take some time to re-visit old games or play old games that I never discovered/finished/found time for. Can anyone make some suggestions for any games prior the PS4/One/XboxOne era and a reason for those suggestions?

I've already formed an initial list for myself, but I would like to hear what others have to say as well.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

What system(s)?

Genre(s)?

Not sure how "classic" classic is to you, but: Okami, Thief (original PC games), Deus Ex: Human Revolution are a few gems that were not particularly mainstream but have garnered acclaim.

Okami is a beautiful and engaging adventure/RPG set in Japan. It's fantasy stands out for its grounding in Japanese legends. The artistry is styled after Japanese water color, and the actual gameplay mechanics tie into that aesthetic

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Minishdriveby

@xantufrog said:

What system(s)?

Genre(s)?

Not sure how "classic" classic is to you, but: Okami, Thief (original PC games), Deus Ex: Human Revolution are a few gems that were not particularly mainstream but have garnered acclaim.

Okami is a beautiful and engaging adventure/RPG set in Japan. It's fantasy stands out for its grounding in Japanese legends. The artistry is styled after Japanese water color, and the actual gameplay mechanics tie into that aesthetic

Any system any genre as long as it was released prior to the new console generation.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Minishdriveby: you should have a look through my raptr page

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

kotor 1 and 2

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Minishdriveby

@xantufrog said:

What system(s)?

Genre(s)?

My interest piqued on those game when I heard that The City of Lost Children inspired the second game's environmental art; however, I never did get around to playing those. I'll definitely look into them.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Minishdriveby said:

@xantufrog said:
Thief (original PC games)

My interest piqued on those game when I heard that The City of Lost Children inspired the second game's environmental art; however, I never did get around to playing those. I'll definitely look into them.

You won't regret it. Be warned, the graphics are aged, and the combat is poor. But it doesn't matter - because you aren't supposed to be in combat anyway, and the graphics do a great job conveying what they need to convey. Thief 1 and 2 are truly two of my favorite games despite their quirks

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Minishdriveby:

Freelancer

Loading Video...

No One Lives Forever 1 and 2

Loading Video...

Max Payne 1 and 2

Loading Video...

Thief 1,2 and 3 (The Dark Project (Gold Edition), The Metal Age, Deadly Shadows)

Loading Video...

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

i also recommend Okami, also Antichamber and Valkyria Chronicles would be worth looking into