What are your best video game trilogies

#1 Edited by torenojohn7 (315 posts) -

3d GTA trilogy(GTA 3,vice city and san andreas):-

These 3 games defines the ps2 era for me they popularized sandbox genre and no matter what anyone says not even watch dogs can top what san andreas did in terms of "Grandness".

Hitman Trilogy(Hitman 2,contracts and blood money)

IF you are a PC gamer from the early 2000's you must fondly remember hitman 2 and contracts! and blood money is like a polished&refined collage of those two games.

Metal Slug(1,2 and 3) :-

Simply put metal slug is the best side scrolling run'n'gun games i've ever freaking played! contra seems visually dated and stiff in comparison to this.

God of war trilogy :-

This game series is easily one of the best action adventure/hack'n'slash game series if there's anything that makes this trilogy seem any less perfect its the amount of unwanted prequels it keeps getting.

Silent hill Trilogy:-

Silent hill trilogy makes up for all the shortcomings of resident evil in ps2 era but unfortunately after 3 brilliant games the series just got saturated into an uninspired,disappointing mess.

I also wanted to add prince of Persia,devil may cry&Castlevania trilogy but they all have a sequel which ruins the trilogy.

#2 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6236 posts) -

Easily Mass Effect.

#3 Edited by thehig1 (2309 posts) -

Two of my favorite trilogies have disappointing 3rd installments, but still overall are great trilogies I love.

Mass effect - I even loved mass effect 3, but the ending left a bitter taste and it didn't have the same impact on me that the suicide mission on 2 did.

Penumbra- overture was a mess, it was terrifying and it was brilliant. Black plague was more polished and the puzzles were challenging and logical. It was dam scary too with head phones and full volume.

However penumbra requiem didn't really fit in, there was no threat and the puzzles were just puzzles, more like portal but as well executed.

#4 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72458 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Easily Mass Effect.

The easiest answer ever

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13708 posts) -

YAY more List Threads !

#6 Posted by SovietsUnited (2319 posts) -

My favorites would be Prince of Persia trilogy, Marathon trilogy, God of War 1-3 and the Metroid Prime trilogy

#7 Posted by elkoldo (1164 posts) -

If the trilogy must consist only of three consecutive games , starting from one , then my answer would be

• Syphon Filter 1,2,3.
  • Resident Evil 1,2,3.

If other types of trilogies are acceptable too then

• Silent Hill 1,2,4
  • GTA San Andreas , 4 ,5
#8 Posted by thehig1 (2309 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: yeah we should make a list of our favorite list threads

#9 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13708 posts) -

@thehig1

Well.... Atleast its upping the ante

#10 Posted by SovietsUnited (2319 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu

Well, if you can't escape them, contribute :D

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13708 posts) -

@SovietsUnited

I did.....

#12 Posted by Behardy24 (4648 posts) -

Mass Effect.

#13 Posted by benleslie5 (7878 posts) -

For me it's-

• Kingdom Hearts series
  • God of War series
  • Metal Gear Solid series
#14 Edited by Behardy24 (4648 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu:

#15 Edited by SovietsUnited (2319 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@SovietsUnited

I did.....

You really didn't, dismissing every thread like that doesn't equal contribution.
Nonetheless, each to their own

#16 Edited by Behardy24 (4648 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

@Lulu_Lulu: yeah we should make a list of our favorite list threads

#17 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13708 posts) -

@SovietsUnited

See ? Now this is real contribution.... This is me and you actually discussion something in depth instead of listing crap in a sea full of crap then leaving. Then repeating the process all over again.

#18 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13708 posts) -

@Behardy24

You have alot of Pictures

#19 Posted by SovietsUnited (2319 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@SovietsUnited

See ? Now this is real contribution.... This is me and you actually discussion something in depth instead of listing crap in a sea full of crap then leaving. Then repeating the process all over again.

But this discussion of ours is extraneous to the subforum itself, we should discuss games and share opinions be it list form or any other. List threads say which games each user takes in high regard and that helps when understanding opinions in future discussions. For example, I legitimately have no idea which games you like except Gears of War, Hitman Absolution and adventure games in general, because you never listed your favorites.

Just my two cents.

#20 Posted by Gannon27 (98 posts) -

Bioshock

#21 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17223 posts) -

These three:

• Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles
  • Streets of Rage 1-3
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
#22 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13708 posts) -

@SovietsUnited

Awwwe you're so sweet.... Nobody else knows that about me..... :D

Anyway I own a grand total of 20 games, and haven't bought anything since last year.... (Bioshock Infinite)

I'd get bored of listing the same games... My own games.

Plus Lists don't do my games justice.... I like it discuss each one in depth, one at a time. List threads just take that away from me.

#23 Edited by Behardy24 (4648 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Behardy24

You have alot of Pictures

Google Images is a goldmine :D

#24 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13708 posts) -

@Behardy24

You Own Google Images ! ! ! ? :O

#25 Posted by Behardy24 (4648 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Behardy24

You Own Google Images ! ! ! ? :O

Yes, I confess. I own Google Images. If anyone needs a couple million dollars and a collection of gifs, just hit me. :P

#26 Edited by pyro1245 (873 posts) -

Mass Effect. 3rd game was still great. I don't even remember the ending.

#27 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13708 posts) -

@Behardy24

LOL.... I won't even hesitate.

#28 Edited by Flubbbs (3159 posts) -

Uncharted is up there

The Witcher trilogy will be among the greatest ever

#29 Edited by Heirren (17365 posts) -

SUPER MARIO BROS NES TRILOGY.

SUPER STAR WARS TRILOGY

HALO TRILOGY

STAR WARS PREQUEL TRILOGY.

UNCHARTED TRILOGY

#30 Posted by PyreofKoL (5858 posts) -

Right now, Halo is my number one trilogy (I know there are more games but the first 3 are still great), but that may change at the end of this year depending on how good Dragon Age III and Arkham Knight are.

#31 Posted by lensflare15 (6182 posts) -

Resistance, Uncharted, the PS1 Spyro games, and the Sly Cooper PS2 games (yeah, I'm having difficulty thinking of anything other than playstation exclusives atm).

#32 Posted by kingcrimson24 (468 posts) -

Mass Effect and Halo

#33 Edited by blamix99 (2063 posts) -

Crash Bandicoot and God of War

#34 Posted by vicky_john1 (172 posts) -

GTA vice city. San andreas and 4 the best...

#35 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

I think I've never ever completed a trilogy. But let me also contribute to this thread. I liked the POP trilogy, AC 2 trilogy and God of War trilogy.

#36 Edited by yngsten (224 posts) -

Watch Dogs doesn't even deserve to share sentence with GTA San Andreas. (Oops!)

#37 Posted by Archangel3371 (15746 posts) -

My top 3 are:

• Halo
  • Gears of War
  • Mass Effect
#38 Posted by spike6958 (4839 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Easily Mass Effect.

Yep. It's not even a question, Mass Effect tops them all.

#39 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

I do not consider it a trilogy unless it is three specific games telling one consecutive story. While their can be trilogys that are within a larger series (Metroid prime as an example) just being three games does not make it a trilogy. A trilogy has a beginning, a middle and an end. that is the definition. Silent hill is not a trilogy, though three is a sequel to one, Metal Gear is not a trilogy, its the same story since the MSX. Halo and gears are trilogys to the degree they tell one story in three parts within a larger narrative.

For me the answer is mass effect. It is a true trilogy. Even with new ones being made they are not the story of shepard and the reapers.

#40 Posted by XIntoTheBlue (850 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

Mass Effect. 3rd game was still great. I don't even remember the ending.

You don't remember the ending because the ending traumatized you into blacking it out.

As for my favorite? Well, it's shaping up to be The Witcher, but that'll depend how the third installment turns out. Other than that, Mass Effect ranks up there pretty high. I can't remember any other trilogies I might have played.