What are you playing right now?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#501 Posted by travisstaggs (10536 posts) -
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on PS1. Most people will probably say it's an awful game but I enjoy it. I used to own it when it first came out (2001) and it's good fun playing through it again. :)MonoSilver
Who is the chick in your sig? I've been playing the Devil May Cry HD collection and Resident Evil 4 HD. replaying Devil May Cry 3 with a res boost and achievements is a blast.
#502 Posted by WWE6427 (207 posts) -

Glory of Heracles for the DS

#503 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

932720_81445_thumb.jpg

Despite the generally pooey review scores, i'm actually finding a bit of fun here. Not 8/10 fun, but more than the 4/10 that i was thinking about giving it during the first few missions. I like it when my perseverance is rewarded. :D

#504 Posted by AtelierFan (1543 posts) -
Pamdora's Tower, Rondo of Blood, and Gradius II
#505 Posted by dbz987 (3716 posts) -

Shin Megami Tensei II

#506 Posted by Heirren (16283 posts) -
Battletoads on Genesis. Easier than the NES one, but the music is just such a great effort.
#507 Posted by Quofan (1606 posts) -

Playing a lot - I have trouble keeping focused. Playing multiple retro games at once as well as 360, DS and PC is why I don't complete more games in general these days.

I keep meaning to finish my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom playthrough. Tend to slide in and out of Uncharted Waters: New Horiaons, Railroad Tycoon 3, Total War series, Fire Emblem series and various other SNES games.

Also want to go back and finally get all 50 gems in Illusion of Time, nearly did it a year ago and my save got randomly wiped during the boss gauntlet in the Tower of Babel. Only had one gem to find, and that hidden one in the pyramid took me ages to get too....

And until I recently got a DS (9 years or so after release too) I was playing a lot of the GBA Pokemon games. Very slowly training as many Pokemon as I could up to level 50 or so or whenever they learn their last move.

Feel like I should probably force myself to play through Inazuma Eleven on the DS so I can post a review of it, but I have to admit it although the mechanics are interesting, it gets off to a slow start. I don't like the fact I'm basically being forced to play certain story characters - what's the point in having 1000 characters to choose from if most of them are devoid of personality and the story pretty much ignores them anyway in favour of the original line up?

#508 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Pamdora's TowerAtelierFan

Jealous. That game looks awesome.

#509 Posted by AtelierFan (1543 posts) -
Shock Troopers - quite fun.
#510 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

http://86bb71d19d3bcb79effc-d9e6924a0395cb1b5b9f03b7640d26eb.r91.cf1.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/halo-3-odst-box-artwork-xbox-360.jpg

I think I'm pretty close to the end of the campaign in Halo 3: ODST. Much better than I expected. I hear a lot of negative stuff about the game from Halo fans, so didn't run out and buy it like I usually do with Halo. Since my expectations were low, I've been pleasantly surprised. Great production value, fun firefights, and it has Nathan Fillon from Firefly doing voice-acting! There is a little of retreading through areas you've already been though, but it's not so bad it ruins the game or anything.

#511 Posted by AtelierFan (1543 posts) -

[QUOTE="AtelierFan"]Pamdora's TowerEmerald_Warrior

Jealous. That game looks awesome.

I think it is a lot better than some reviews are giving it credit for (though, to be fair, I know GS gave it an 8). The chain mechanic makes combat, platforming and exploration a blast. Also, I think the game looks great - I don't know why some reviews are saying it is ugly. I also don't know what the 'technical issues' are that reviews mention - the game runs great. If you can get it, I recommend it!
#512 Posted by Articuno76 (18677 posts) -
Still playing FF8. On disc 3 now. I'm can't shake the feeling that the game was very unfinished and the developers had a few weeks/months to wrap up without all the pieces. The biggest issue is there isn't really much in the way of foreshadowing/pacing with the plot reveals, relationship changes. A lot things in the game just happen, seemingly arbitrarily. Also for anyone playing the game on the Vita. Map L2/R2 to the touch-screen instead of the touch-pad. I found that solved a lot of the text hanging issues.
#513 Posted by vashkey (33712 posts) -
Metroid Prime
#514 Posted by Articuno76 (18677 posts) -

Currently playing an PS1 game called 'Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuuchou' (). I'm only a bit over an hour in but it appears to be an S-RPG with a high-school setting. The in-fight graphics are nice and clean but the art-work for the story sequences so incredibly bad, even by the standards of the time it's really sketchy looking.

title.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

The blurry background isn't a screenshot issue.  The background actually look like that.

One interesting aspect is that your character doesn't talk but instead interacts with the other characters in the world by showing certain emotions.  The negative emotions are mapped to the d-pad directions (anger, being cold, worry, sadness) and the positive ones to the facia buttons (symphatise/agree, love, joy, friendship).  You can also respond with silence, Sakura Wars style.

#515 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
It doesn't look too bad. Just a bit pixelated.
#516 Posted by Articuno76 (18677 posts) -
It doesn't look too bad. Just a bit pixelated.Dudersaper
You see the blurred background in the third picture? That's not a forced 16:9 artefact or a result of the way the screenshot is taken. It actually looks like that. And that isn't just done to give focus to the characters, even the scenes without characters looks close to or as bad. Also it's a little hard to tell in that short but the gradient of colour on the character art is really bad as well (like someone sucked 40% of the colour of the scene somehow). In fact that screen appears to have bi-linear filtering applied (which I've turned off because it makes reading the low-res font quite hard) which has smoothed out a lot of the jaggy, dirty looking rough-edges. You have to really see it to understand how crude it is. I'm going to soldier on though because the reviews all told me ahead of time that the game was ugly but the characters were good (which so far seems true on both counts).
#517 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
Aye, I'll take your word on it :P Are you playing a translation or something? The game seems interesting.
#518 Posted by Articuno76 (18677 posts) -
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Aye, I'll take your word on it :P Are you playing a translation or something? The game seems interesting.

Nah. Original Japanese version off the PSN store (it was going for around 600 yen). It just happens that my Japanese happens to be quite good. I hear there is an anime based on it as well, no idea if it is any good though. One thing I've noticed about the character portraits is they have no sense of depth, that and the rough edges makes them look like paper cut-outs. No voice-acting either (which some games of that era such as Eve Burst Error do have). Writing is sharp though.
#519 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Heretic on PC, I'm have a nostalgic blast! (No pun intended.) I used to love this series because the fantasy-elements really made it stand-out amongst the sea of Doom-clone FPS back then. And it's still a blast to play today! I got it in a package deal on Steam for $9.99 along with Hexen, Hexen II, and the 2007 Hexen game.

http://i.iinfo.cz/r/photos/games/heretic/1.jpg

#520 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
[QUOTE="Articuno76"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Aye, I'll take your word on it :P Are you playing a translation or something? The game seems interesting.

Nah. Original Japanese version off the PSN store (it was going for around 600 yen). It just happens that my Japanese happens to be quite good. I hear there is an anime based on it as well, no idea if it is any good though. One thing I've noticed about the character portraits is they have no sense of depth, that and the rough edges makes them look like paper cut-outs. No voice-acting either (which some games of that era such as Eve Burst Error do have). Writing is sharp though.

A little off topic, but did you learn japanese in school? Or do you live in japan or something? I'd love to know japanese to play some Japan exclusives like you're doing.
#522 Posted by Articuno76 (18677 posts) -
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="Articuno76"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Aye, I'll take your word on it :P Are you playing a translation or something? The game seems interesting.

A little off topic, but did you learn japanese in school? Or do you live in japan or something? I'd love to know japanese to play some Japan exclusives like you're doing.

I did it as a (4 year) university degree. The second year of that degree was an exchange programme in Japan (in the middle of the countryside).
#523 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Playing through Champions: Return to Arms on PS2. Obviously I'm playing it alone in 2013, not linked in online play.

Very similar to the first game, which isn't a bad thing. I like my hack-n-slash action-RPGs. And this one follows in the same vein as the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance series.

However, the story feels very generic and not intriguing at all. Not that story is usually a huge factor in these sort of games, but this one really doesn't try at all. You have this hub that you enter areas from where there's this mage-chick that tells you you're her champion and you're fighting on her behalf. Pretty dull stuff. At least the first game took place on a singular world where you traveled to different areas because it had to do with an actual plot.

But the gameplay makes up for it. So far, Champions of Norrath is the better game of the two. But I'm not all that far into it, so we'll see how this goes.

#524 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Due to literally haing no money and having to sell most of what i own, on the verge of getting kicked out of the house, currently playing through my old xbox shit.

Lord of the Rings, the Third Age. Skill rinding for the win.

#525 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

Just got back into Fire Emblem:  The Sacred Stones again, I was only about halfway through it before and now I'm finishing it up.

#526 Posted by archvile_78 (8382 posts) -

Finished Breath of Fire IV last week after almost 50 hours of playing. Now i'm in Breath of Fire III and dare i say i enjoy the fishing minigame!

#527 Posted by AtelierFan (1543 posts) -
Ys Book I&II, courtesy of the Wii VC.
#528 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

Uhhh Castlevania Bloodlines with a little SotN on the side.  Toss in some Megaman X games in the mix as well.  

#529 Posted by LAN7ERN (373 posts) -
Right now I am not playing any classic games but I am currently playing Injustice on my PS3.
#530 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

Swooping into the top 10 funniest games i've played is this:

997694_171853_thumb.jpg

2009's 'Truck Racer' on the PS2. A game with physics so bad that even the AI trucks can't drive around corners without crashing.

And satisfies the desire i never knew i had of powersliding one of these:

l_4x4%20skip%20volvo.JPG

#531 Posted by Dexter-010 (508 posts) -
Back in Borderlands. Gonna play Batman: Arkham City (goty) later on this day if I've time for it.
#532 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

Currently playing Resident Evil 1 remake.

I really suck at this game because I got tired of back tracking to refill my canteen and burn all of these zombies, also it's costing inventory space

I'm also taking a long time to get through the game because I'm exploring every room as per the map, I just know that I'll come up to a puzzle or need to get an item but I'll  be full up

#533 Posted by eo_the_shaman (1800 posts) -

golden sun on my new micro gameboy :3

#534 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

919488_62755_thumb.jpg

Average user score on GS was 8.0 before i put my score in.

REALLY BORING, terrible controls and constant bad frame-rate. Do you ever get the impression that just because a genre is under-represented that people over-score a game as there are so few alternatives?

I will give it another chance and see if it can be played from an RTS perspective, but as a tank-shooter it's flippin awful.

#535 Posted by Articuno76 (18677 posts) -
Just bought and RPG of PSN called Linda3 Again (Read as 'Linda Cubed, Again). I honestly have never heard of it but reviews of it seemed positive. I'm getting that giddy feeling that I might have just found a hidden gem.
#536 Posted by WhySoLimp (135 posts) -

Got a huge backlog of PS2 games, but right now I'm going through:

Persona 3 FES

SMT Nocturne

FFX

Zone of the Enders 2

DMC3 SE

Ace Combat 04

Gradius V

#537 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -

Persona 3 FES

SMT Nocturne

FFX

Zone of the Enders 2

DMC3 SE

Ace Combat 04

Gradius V

WhySoLimp
God, how can you play 3 RPG's at once?
#538 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

Finally got an acceptable time for my John Morris playthrough of Bloodlines, now its on to Expert mode to do a no-death speedy playthrough.  That game is just way too fvcking intense, the threat of losing the upgraded whip/spear and sub-weapons puts a fear into my heart that no other game can, lol.  What would be a simple run of the mill jump and attack an enemy turns into a slow-mo climactic moment of truth.

#539 Posted by WhySoLimp (135 posts) -

[QUOTE="WhySoLimp"]

Persona 3 FES

SMT Nocturne

FFX

Zone of the Enders 2

DMC3 SE

Ace Combat 04

Gradius V

Dudersaper

God, how can you play 3 RPG's at once?

It's not too bad, I just devote a day for just 1 of them. You should see my PS1 RPG backlog:

FF 7-9

FF Tactics

Front Mission 3

Chrono Cross

Xenogears

Vagrant Story

Parasite Eve 2

That's only the RPGs, I have other stuff like the Oddworlds and Castlevania SoTN that I need to finish.

#540 Posted by dbz987 (3716 posts) -

Metroid Prime 

#541 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

Metroid Prime 

dbz987

You can play that game 100 times and it still won't get boring

#542 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

562075_54244_thumb.jpg

Seems to consist entirely of corridors and rooms with little-to-no interesting scenery additions. But it's good gun-play and challenging so rather enjoying it.

#543 Posted by Heirren (16283 posts) -

Here's what I'm playing.

#544 Posted by SonOfChewbacca (653 posts) -

Just finished Klonoa on PS1... Wonderful game, very underrated. Was surprised at the ending, it almost made me tear up a little bit. Anyways, onto Klonoa 2 soon.

#545 Posted by GreySeal9 (24007 posts) -

Here's what I'm playing.

Heirren

Excellent game.

#546 Posted by Heirren (16283 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Here's what I'm playing.

GreySeal9

Excellent game.

Yeah, it's incredible. Makes me wonder how the n64 version would have been.
#547 Posted by GreySeal9 (24007 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Here's what I'm playing.

Heirren

Excellent game.

I'm pretty glad they made it on GBA. Those N64 screenshots didn't look nearly as nice as the GBA Mother 3. I think they would have had to get rid of alot of the game's detail to render it in 3D.

#548 Posted by Heirren (16283 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Excellent game.

GreySeal9

I'm pretty glad they made it on GBA. Those N64 screenshots didn't look nearly as nice as the GBA Mother 3. I think they would have had to get rid of alot of the game's detail to render it in 3D.

I agree and disagree. It looked unfinished. What looked good, looked great. And, what looked bad looked very muddy. It sort of resembled the Zelda tech demo.
#549 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

Playing through Fire Emblem Path of Radiance mostly at the moment. Currently on Chapter 24. One of my favourite games ever,

I want to unlock Ashnard for the trial maps, but I heard you have to beat the game 15 times to do that.

I could easily do that, but it's way too time consuming considering the game is around 30 hours at best for just 1 playthrough

#550 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

X Men Legends.