torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

My No #1 Most Overrated game i've ever played is Final fantasy 7 and Crisis core .

FF7 was and still is being hailed as one of the best Ps1 games whereas i find it as the worst goddamn RPG i've ever played in my life mainly because its aged so poorly.

it just had awful load times,ugly character designs(I love Japanese cartoons but this shitz is like anime for emo people) gameplay was just your old school turn based strategy in fugly 3d and the story.. oh yes the story is the most epic letdown considering how its rabid fanbase told me that it has a great epic story and how you'll cry manly tears when aeries dies... or how sephiroth is the greatest video game villain ever.

The story was like it was written by bunch of 12 yr old avril lavigne fans on a sleepover.

I got over the FF7 hype debacle but Crisis core really got under my skin because it was being hailed as one of the best PSP games on the market.. and i tried it and guess what?? It was an "okay" game way better than the FF7 but the characters are still as about as engaging&deep as a paperclip and are emo as fuc* and gameplay is fairy average..

As an RPG game it gets its ass whooped by awesome games like monster hunter,Ys seven and Disgaea.

No #2 :-

After deep pondering i've come to the conclusion that Sonic has in fact ALWAYS SUCKED BALLS!

Its one of the most shallow,unoriginal platforming game i've ever played... all do you is run to the right,jump and collect unnecessary rings .. and there are people who call mario 2d games "outdated and simple" ? play sonic! you'll immediately appreciate good game designing hell even angry birds has more "variety" than any 2d sonic game.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY brilliant games like earthworm Jim gets cancelled after just one awful 3d game but this pile of putrid garbage gets to live so long,Sonic fans you make me lose faith in humanity! you people bitch&moan about how sonic 3d games are mediocre platformers while not realizing that its only because it is based on a 2d sub-par mediocre platforming game!

BTW Super Castlevania 4 sucks too its easy as fu*k and has the worst type of music&artwork and i can't believe AVGN thinks that this is the "best" castlevania game..

No #3

Final Fight&Golden axe..whenever you type "Beat'em'up" on google you are 100% guaranteed to get these 2 on the top these games define that genre despite being so abysmally mediocre.. they have no extended combo moveset,have stiff animation,controls and overall slower pacing with forgettable music.

Streets of Rage 2,Sengoku 3,Cadillacs&dinosaursand Guardian heroes.. these are the games that should be used to represent this kickass genre NOT something mediocre like golden axe or final fight and i hate the word "Final fight clone" its just like saying "God of war clone" while it actually makes sense why anyone would use God of war as a yardstick but final fight.... really?? that's like saying dynasty warriors is better than devil may cry.

And in the current gen i've had the misfortune of witnessing plethora of titles like Street fighter 4,GTA 5,Bioshock infinite,Skyrim these games had INSANE amount of hype and did they live up to it?? NOPE.. they're just average games which was just piggybacking on its predecessor's success.

SF4 is GARBAGE.. its character designs look ugly,has stiff controls and has jerky movesets and some broken "supers" bullshit and the final boss.. boy he sure is so easy to beat... (NOTTTT)

I am perplexed to see how a SNES era game can be given a HD coating and people will hype it like its something new and revolutionary.

GTA 5oh yeah do i even have to mention? we knew what we were getting it was going to be like every other GTA... THERE WAS NOTHING to be this hyped about it was not something revamped it just builds upon GTA 4.and adds more stuff to it..

Elder scrolls is a long running series.. and skyrim is the 7th or 8th entry in the elder scroll series.. WHAT IS SO GODDAMN NEW ABOUT THIS GAME? where was the hype for all the other games which came before it? was i living under a rock or something? i never even heard about this series!

And very recently the amount of hype bioshock&last of us got were INFUKKINGSANE! and its popularity fizzed out so fast i can't believe it! either i'm going mad or i really can't find people raving about bioshock infinite and last of us's brilliant story anymore what brought about this change i wonder...(probably their ADHD but i digress).

Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Justin_G
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

their add? what about yours?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but I find the Half-Life series very overrated.

Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Justin_G

agreed. (bout every HL since number one... call me a purist... but aren't those
"puzzles" and the linearity of the game seemingly jarring, in HL2 and the episodes??)

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 torenojohn7

@mastermetal777 said:

I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but I find the Half-Life series very overrated.

Yup i agree half-life is a decent FPS game but seriously WTF is so good about Gordon? he has the personality of a sandpaper.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#6 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Every BioWare game post Baldur's Gate, especially Mass Effect

Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Justin_G

Dragon Age Origins for PC was the best thing since Baldur's Gate, but still nothing like it other then some of the combat.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#8 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I find Rockstar games in general to be incredibly overrated. RDR is not a masterpiece, not to me at least. There are many open world games that deliver more fun per hour than their games.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Spec Ops the Line - The game play itself is average at best. The story is a poorly made story about toll of violent on a person or a game that point at shooters and says there a lot of shooting in them and video games does not portray real life perfectly.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mastermetal777

Here are other games I find to be overrated:

GTA 4 - it clearly needed to be another game, considering the type of story they were telling here.

Metro: Last Light - an average shooter with an interesting art choice and terrible story.

Call of Duty: Black Ops - slower gameplay, boring campaign, and uninspired multiplayer (wooo, zombies...next).

BioShock 2 - it added nothing to the original, had sloppy pacing, poorly balanced gameplay, and it retconned the original's story too much.

Metal Gear Solid (series) - I'm sorry, but Hideo Kojima is a lousy writer. Coupled with overtly complex game mechanics and too much zaniness for a story trying to take itself seriously, this series just doesn't do it for me.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Oh Snap ! ! ! Another List Thread !

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@torenojohn7: "After deep pondering i've come to the conclusion that Sonic has in fact ALWAYS SUCKED BALLS!

Its one of the most shallow,unoriginal platforming game i've ever played..."
I don't know how it's shallow or unoriginal since no other platformer before or since the original Sonic games have had the same unique, nuanced pinball physics style platforming, or the unique, surreal aesthetics those games had.

"all do you is run to the right,jump and collect unnecessary rings"
Don't forget rolling, looking for secrets, collecting enough rings to access the special stages, and trying to find the fastest route through stages without fucking up.

"and there are people who call mario 2d games "outdated and simple" ? play sonic!"
Classic Sonic is more fun than 2D Mario though.

"I HAVE NO IDEA WHY brilliant games like earthworm Jim gets cancelled after just one awful 3d game"
Because Earthworm Jim was always terrible in the first place.

"you people bitch&moan about how sonic 3d games are mediocre platformers while not realizing that its only because it is based on a 2d sub-par mediocre platforming game!"
The 3D Sonic games have almost nothing in common with the 2D originals. You really don't know what you're talking about at all.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: You have a fascination with these kinds of threads, don't you? lol

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By torenojohn7
@Lulu_Lulu said:

Oh Snap ! ! ! Another List Thread !

AW HELL NO! this thread is about overrated games in general not a list of overrated games,and why do you leave so much space in your punctuation?

@Pffrbt: "Because Earthworm Jim was always terrible in the first place"

AAAAND you lost all credibility right there! no wonder you're a sonic fan,sonic is like flappy bird&slender man people only liked back then it because it was a fad.

As hilarious it sounds but 3d sonic games actually are way better than the shallow 2d platformer it is based on,i don't blame them for being mediocre.. the content they had to work with was pretty lame to begin with.

It doesn't matter if you make Shakespeare write a sequel to 50 shades of gray.. you know its GONNA SUCK.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@torenojohn7

I don't know....... I have flu..... Can't think straight. :(

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#17  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Halo and Half Life/Counter Strike

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#18 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Any game TC likes.

champgto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 champgto
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Any game TC likes.

this.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

There's no such thing as overrated games in my book. They're either my cup of tea or they're not.

To me, the term "overrated" smacks of juvenilism.

That said, I have yet to buy a fighting game or any Rockstar game for my PC or PS3. I group Watch Dogs in the same category as GTA and Saints Row. I have no particular interest in that genre. But, I got mine free with my video card.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By torenojohn7

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Any game TC likes.

But.. but i like pokemon :D

@jun_aka_pekto said:

There's no such thing as overrated games in my book. They're either my cup of tea or they're not.

To me, the term "overrated" smacks of juvenilism.

That said, I have yet to buy a fighting game or any Rockstar game for my PC or PS3. I group Watch Dogs in the same category as GTA and Saints Row. I have no particular interest in that genre. But, I got mine free with my video card.

That's like saying there's no such thing as pancakes because i ate them.

"Overrated" is a term used to describe any game/movie/book/comic which is over hyped beyond its caliber by critics&fans.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

On the competitive side of things, Super Street Fighter 4 is one of the strongest and most balanced fighters ever created. It's not overrated in the slightest. It just isn't for people who just want to play the game passively. It takes dedication and time to enjoy it.

Uncharted 2 is by far and away the most overrated thing I've ever touched in my life. Everything aside from presentation is just completely horrid. Awful shootouts that are bogged down by bullet sponge enemies that lack variety, "gameplay" segments that might as well have been cutscenes because you really have no control over them (every single climbing section, ice cave with tenzen, the museum heist), and a terrible story that isn't even half as good as a National Treasure plot, but is the center focus of the entire experience.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts
@SovietsUnited said:

Every BioWare game post Baldur's Gate, especially Mass Effect

This couldn't be more true.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@torenojohn7:

I actually read all that opening post, anyway I think gta5 has to be the most overly hyped game of all time.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#26 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

I hate the term "overrated" . people have their tastes and personal opinions and if you don't agree with them you shouldn't call it "overrated" . like , I'm a rock n roll/metal guy and i don't like Micheal jackson's music , but i never come out and call it overrated . I just say i don't like that kinda music .

same with video games .

anyway here are some games that I don't agree with the majority of critics about their score and i would give them a lower score .

GTA IV and V . thought V is much better but still none of them are really 10/10 . none of them come close to San andreas.

The Last of us .... umm , this game is pretty amazing but it isn't a 10/10 either . gameplay and story are nothing special . the only amazing thing about it was the character development and graphics .

Gears of war . thought i was always a Xbox guy and could never get into these games for some reason .

Dark souls . the first thing about it is that it is a RPG but there isn't a good story . I mean , all through the game i feel like " why the hell am i here and doing all of these " . i think the main reason people like Dark souls so much is that its Hard and other games these days are really easy so people like dark souls just because its different . Combat is really great but the game has many flaws that can't be ignored !

daniel_meigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#27 daniel_meigh
Member since 2009 • 39 Posts

bioshock

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#28 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Dark Souls and GTA .

Fun stuff but overrated ... way too much .

ChristianGmr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By ChristianGmr14
Member since 2014 • 157 Posts

Left 4 Dead, at least the console version anyway. It only had like 3 short missions and that was it, not worth $60.

Halo ODST was the same way, I don't understand how it got such high reviews.

The first Assassin's Creed game and GTA 5 were also overrated IMO.

BioShock Infinite, good gameplay but the story line was a mess and none of the choices you made had any real impact on the story. It's the same ending every time regardless.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

Got to go with a couple others. At my age I have come to learn overated and underated are piss poor guides and terms, when both opinions and taste are subjective.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#31  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@torenojohn7: There are only 9 Elder Scrolls games. 5 main games and 4 spin-offs. Please, do not include the add-ons as those are not full games, but rather, DLC.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kevlar101

Grand Theft Auto IV and V. I have more fun playing other open-world sandbox games. GTA is fun, and the locations are the most detailed and lifelike open-worlds that I have ever experienced. However, it is over-rated in my book due to the fact that many of the activities feel like poorly designed and cheap filler, and there just aren't enough interesting things to do unless you are the kind of person who likes going on mindless rampages. The games just have too many gameplay inconsistencies for me to love it. The gameplay of GTAIV was tedious as all hell , and luckily, GTAV improved on that immensely, so the latter is definitely the better game, if only by that much. Additionally, GTA fans are some of the biggest fanboys I know of, criticizing almost every other open-world sandbox game of being "boring in comparison" or a "GTA-clone/copycat" and how none will ever be as "amazing" as GTA.... and it's just ridiculous. The worlds of Assassin's Creed or FarCry or Sleeping Dogs may not be as detailed as GTA worlds, but they sure have a lot mre worthwhile things to do in said worlds, that is for sure.

Hell... I am probably one of the biggest Red Dead Redemption fans you could ever meet, and no, it is not exactly "GTA in the old-West." Why? Because RDR actually has structured side-activities in the world that are fun and interesting. It is a much better designed game that GTA. RDR has the perk of having a wonderfully detailed world like GTA, and a bonus of actually fun things to do in said world.

Call of Duty. Short half-ass campaigns, multiplayer that feels like a map-pack for the previous game, and the biggest fanboys in existence. Need I say more? I actually still buy the CoD games, once they are down to $20 or less. I see that as being alright for what is offered. I refuse to pay $60 for one though, they aren't worth that.

comptonst88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 comptonst88
Member since 2012 • 348 Posts

Dark Souls 1 and 2

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#34 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

The most overrated (good, but not great. People in the video game community need to stop using that word as negative all the time) games I've played are GTA IV, Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare (yeah, I went there), ESPN NFL 2K5 & The Last Of Us (I'll get flamed by the gaming community. But, I'm cool with that).

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

Halo - it was a decent sci-fi FPS, but really nothing special. There were tons of games like it before. Probably got his hype only because it was Xbox's starting title.

Skyrim - Best RPG ever, people say. I don't see it's charm at all. It's clunky, buggy, shallow and has a bad, rushed storyline. The only thing good about it is probably the graphics.

Pokemon - it has a nice atmosphere, but nothing else. The story and goals are literally the same in every Pokemon game and the only thing that changes is the world map.

Half-Life 2 - that one I liked. It had a good story for an FPS game and using physics to your advantage when killing enemies was a really cool feature.

Shadow of the Colossus - again, nice atmosphere, but no substance. I don't get why it gets so much praise. It's a game that has nothing except barren fields to ride your horse through and 16 enemies to kill. Oh, wait, there's also some kind of story... I think...

Need for Speed: Underground2 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005) - I don't understand why people like them so much and consider them the best NFS games. The driving model is horrible - cars behave as if they were giant soap bars, and you don't feel any speed when racing.

Dark Souls - I fell in love with it and jumped onto the bandwagon on this one. Great lore, cool storyline interconnected with said lore, fantastic combat system and the art style oozing with originality.

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

@torenojohn7: There's only been five main Elder Scrolls games. Where the F did you get 16?? smh.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

@huerito323:

Probably counted spin-offs and mobile games, too. With those, that number would make sense.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#38 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

"FF7 was and still is being hailed as one of the best Ps1 games whereas i find it as the worst goddamn RPG i've ever played in my life mainly because its aged so poorly."

I doubt you've played very many RPGs.

Anyway, I think God of War is extremely boring.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GreySeal9

@ariabed said:

@torenojohn7:

I actually read all that opening post, anyway I think gta5 has to be the most overly hyped game of all time.

The TC's posting style is really annoying, so I didn't.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By torenojohn7
@GreySeal9 said:

"FF7 was and still is being hailed as one of the best Ps1 games whereas i find it as the worst goddamn RPG i've ever played in my life mainly because its aged so poorly."

I have played enough turn based JRPG's to know that FF7 is nothing above average.. i don't dislike the gameplay style.. i just HATE the story,characters and the graphics.. this game gets SOOO much praise just for being a sloppy 3d Turn-based-RPG..

You might disagree with me but i really can't stand the hype&praise this game gets its ridiculous.

And God of war is boring? well congratulations that means you find hack'n'slash games boring! yeah i agree God of war is overrated as hell but its a good game for mindless fun.

@Kevlar101:

My bad i didn't know they were DLC's in the wiki here :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls

But yeah still 9 GAMES WTF?? why weren't the other games so popular? see "overrated" is a legit term which is not simply a subjective opinion.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

@christiangmr14 said:

Left 4 Dead, at least the console version anyway. It only had like 3 short missions and that was it, not worth $60.

Halo ODST was the same way, I don't understand how it got such high reviews.

The first Assassin's Creed game and GTA 5 were also overrated IMO.

BioShock Infinite, good gameplay but the story line was a mess and none of the choices you made had any real impact on the story. It's the same ending every time regardless.

You must not know how everyone feels about that game. Everyone says that the missions are repetitive. If anything, it is underrated.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GreySeal9

@torenojohn7 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

I have played enough turn based JRPG's to know that FF7 is nothing above average.. i don't dislike the gameplay style.. i just HATE the story,characters and the graphics.. this game gets SOOO much praise just for being a sloppy 3d Turn-based-RPG..

You might disagree with me but i really can't stand the hype&praise this game gets its ridiculous.

And God of war is boring? well congratulations that means you find hack'n'slash games boring!

Nah, I love Bayonetta and some of the Devil May Cry games.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Most recently: SOTC.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 torenojohn7

@GreySeal9: Then why do you find GoW boring? its just hack'n'slash with great graphics&cheesy greek story.

@cooolio: He's talking about circa:2007 when it was released it was really overrated and i agree with him... i am guilty of overrating that game but can you blame me? it was kinda unique for its time.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Kevlar101

@torenojohn7 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

@Kevlar101:

My bad i didn't know they were DLC's in the wiki here :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls

But yeah still 9 GAMES WTF?? why weren't the other games so popular? see "overrated" is a legit term which is not simply a subjective opinion.

The Elder Scrolls series has been around since god-damn 1994. That is 20 years........ and you think that 5 main games and 4 (mostly low-profile) spin-offs is too much? In 2011, Skyrim was the 5th main Elder Scrolls game after 17 years..... 5 main games in 17 years!

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cooolio
@torenojohn7 said:

@GreySeal9: Then why do you find GoW boring? its just hack'n'slash with great graphics&cheesy greek story.

@cooolio: He's talking about circa:2007 when it was released it was really overrated and i agree with him... i am guilty of overrating that game but can you blame me? it was kinda unique for its time.

Is that another name for the game? Either way it was not that popular

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cooolio
@torenojohn7 said:

Idk. i never really read the reviews and when I did a few months ago, most of them said that it was good with great concepts, but repetitive missions. I guess that it probably had those groups of people that loved it. But I do agree, it was really unique. Now......ugh.

vicky_john1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 vicky_john1
Member since 2014 • 230 Posts

GTA,NFS Series and Dark souls

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49  Edited By deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

Nothing in this world is overrated. Somethings I like may not be liked by others. Saying something is "overrated" is not an opinion. It's like you're trying to state a fact.

Just look at everyone's opinion here. Varies wildly doesn't it ?

Something that's incredible to someone is mediocre to someone else. So there is no such thing as overrated or underrated. But I do think many games are overlooked.

Take this post as friendly advice and not criticism. :)

Avatar image for runningman5ksmak
Runningman5ksmak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Runningman5ksmak
Member since 2013 • 61 Posts

I found the first infamous Grand theft auto 4 pretty overrated