What are some good RTS games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by wildcat2000 (4499 posts) -

Ive played a few demos in the past(one in particular for PS2, dont remember the name. It was full 3D with cartoon-y visuals)and I really liked them but for some reason Ive never bought any but I know its something Id like.

Can be from any past gen...16bit, 32bit ect...

#2 Posted by Shidira (941 posts) -

Well it depends on what system you're looking to play them on, but I recommend RTS on PC. Console versions of RTS, in my opinion, are not as fluid and fun as on the PC. Anyways, for PC, I would recommend StarCraft, any of the Total War series, Dawn of War II, Warcraft series, Age of Mythology, Age of Empires, Command and Conquer (preferrably the older ones), Company of Heroes, Sins of a Solar Empire, and Supreme Commander. I would start with any of those, as those are some pretty fun games that will give you hours of gameplay.

#4 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

Command and Conquer , Red Alert , Tiberian Sun (withFirestormexpansion), Red Alert 2(with Yuri's Revenge , Warcraft 2 (with Dark Portal expansion) ,Starcraft (with Broodwar expansion) , Warcraft 3 (with Frozen Thronw expansion), you could also get Dune 2 and the original Warcraft, but be aware that the controls are pretty akward, or at least they can be.

you could also get some of the Total War games (I recommend Medieval, Rome , Medieval 2) which are very fun in that they combine real time strategy with some turn bases strategy.

#5 Posted by grizzlybear1 (1249 posts) -

Best one ive played is Command & Conqour Generals & the expansion Zero Hour. Its an awesome game on PC but it wont run on vista! Itsbetter then C & C 3 and better than all the old ones aswell.

Its a lot of fun building a base fill up on harrier jets & infantryand build some nukes and just annihalate the enemy bases lol. Epic game.

#6 Posted by bisonfan2010 (630 posts) -

If you are more interested in a tank type war and like to customize your own units as much as possible then warzone 2100 is for you

#7 Posted by Calvin079 (16406 posts) -

I'd recommend the Stronghold series on top of theCommand and Conquer games.

#8 Posted by Seabas989 (11327 posts) -

Recently i've been playing Rome Total War which is awesome. Also the Age of Empires games are great.

#9 Posted by mrbojangles25 (32126 posts) -

Any Command and Conquer game up to, but not including, Red Alert 3. I recommend C&C: The First Decade for the best value and games

Supreme Commander

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War + expansions

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2

Company of Heroes + expansions

Homeworld series

#10 Posted by mrbojangles25 (32126 posts) -

If you are more interested in a tank type war and like to customize your own units as much as possible then warzone 2100 is for you

bisonfan2010

jesus i thought i was the only one that played that game lol

#11 Posted by tomdaman64 (25 posts) -

Any Dawn of war or the latest starcraft 2 coming out this year

Visit www.thegamesvoid.com

#12 Posted by DEsMONdo67 (25 posts) -
Command and conquer and Halo Wars are Good RTS's
#13 Posted by wildcat2000 (4499 posts) -

These are all great suggestions guys but I guess I should have said console RTSs. Theres no way my PC can run these type of higher-end games.

#14 Posted by Calvin079 (16406 posts) -

You'd be able to run Stronghold Crusader (normal) or the Extreme version on your computer. Extreme runs on Windows 2000, Windows XP/XP Media and Vista.

#15 Posted by amsfm6 (2777 posts) -

These are all great suggestions guys but I guess I should have said console RTSs. Theres no way my PC can run these type of higher-end games.

wildcat2000

Most of the suggestions are very old. You should be able to run them on just about any computer. I can play all of those on my 6 year old PC. Heck my original blueberry Imac runs Starcraft like a champ.

Bottom line, if you want to play some good RTS, do it on a computer.

#16 Posted by bisonfan2010 (630 posts) -

wildcat2000

Civilization-ps3
Warzone 2100-ps1 (also its free on cpu with better graphics but not computer crashing graphics)
Age of Empires 2-ps2

And Halo Wars-Xbox

Also if you want to go older to keep your computer nice there is Age of Empires 1,2
Rise of Nations
Rollercoaster Tycoon
...well any Tycoon game for that matter lol.

#17 Posted by bisonfan2010 (630 posts) -

[QUOTE="bisonfan2010"]

mrbojangles25

jesus i thought i was the only one that played that game lol

Now I know of 3 people in this universe that play this game lols
I don't know why i didn't take off it was an amazing game for even just being ps1. (especially for the fact that you can create over 2000 different types of tanks, and if you have played the free cpu version there is 3000 different combinations)

#18 Posted by King9999 (11835 posts) -

What kind of PC do you have that can't run C&C: The First Decade or Starcraft? :shock:

Seriously, the best RTS games are on the PC. Games like Starcraft and C&C were ported to the consoles, though.

#19 Posted by DonatelloToAll (813 posts) -

If your looking for more than just good,but awesome RTS games,I'd look not on consoles,but on the PC.On the PC you can play Warcraft 3,Star Craft,and Age Of Empires,plus other great RTS games.

#20 Posted by FFCYAN (4955 posts) -

I never get tired of Starcraft.;)

#21 Posted by PetJel (3724 posts) -
Red Alert 2, Earth 2160, Ground Control 2 and Generals, and while not RTS you could check out Sim City 4 and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, those are fun aswell. The only rts I liked on a console was Red Alert: Retaliation on the ps1.
#22 Posted by Efaustus9 (155 posts) -

RTS are best played on a PC. Here are a few I enjoyed on that platform.

PC:

DUNE II (Its and early one but a good one, I still play it on my PS3 w linux from time to time)

Starcraft

Rise of nations

Black & White

#23 Posted by lovehookah (25 posts) -

bisonfan2010
Oh man! I've been looking for this game! I played it a couple of times on play station when i was younger and loved it. Thanks!
#24 Posted by Daavpuke (13770 posts) -
[QUOTE="bisonfan2010"]

lovehookah
Oh man! I've been looking for this game! I played it a couple of times on play station when i was younger and loved it. Thanks!

I don't understand the love for it. I thought it had major camera/control issues. Nice concept though. In any case, can't go wrong with Starcraft, Warcraft, C&C, Rise Of Nations and other cIassics. Another game worth checking out is Disciples (series). I really enjoyed them.
#25 Posted by ThePerro (3103 posts) -

Red Alert 2
Starcraft
Warcraft series
Age of Empires 2

#26 Posted by magnax1 (4605 posts) -

Age of Empires 1 & 2 are far and away the best RTS ever in my opinion, and unlike most RTS from the same era, they're still very playable. Rise of nations, Command and conquer 2 (can't remember the name, maybe tiberian wars) and the total war series are all good too.

#27 Posted by angryfodder (20490 posts) -

There is a mountain of great RTS games on PC.

But there is only one king of RTS

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/totalannihilation/index.html

#28 Posted by xboxmad12 (575 posts) -

Try Cossacks Or Populous Or Red alert.

They can run on any computer built after 98 (red alert mabey a little later)

#29 Posted by Sabure-scph9002 (33 posts) -
Warzon 2100, good game, its for psx and pc, of course the last one has the beter version. Its an abandonware now i think so google it, you can download it
#30 Posted by SauceCaptain (1273 posts) -

Hmmm for sega Genesis, try Populus, Centurion Defender of Rome, or Dune Battle for Arrakis- The first real RTS game and the precursor to Command and Conquer, made by the same company.

For Game Boy Color there was an awesome RTS game called Warlocked

If you count real time puzzle - Both Pikmin games for the Gamecube are classics

I have the Jaguar version of Syndicate another classic game

#31 Posted by aryoshi (1728 posts) -
Dune 1 & 2 Command & Conquer, C&C Red Alert, Red Alert 2, Tiberian Sun Fallout Tactics (sort of an RTS, more tactical, but still a blast) Star Trek Armada Warcraft Pretty much all of those but C&C and C&C Red Alert are PC games, but they're still really good. C&C and C&C Red Alert can be picked up on the PSX, the first C&C can be found on multiple consoles: Sega Saturn, N64, PSX, and I think a few others. They'll certainly keep you busy for a good while.