What are some good mech games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kaszilla (1718 posts) -

i love mech games. what are some quality mech or mecha titles?

#2 Posted by Heirren (17319 posts) -
I don't remember which version, but the obvious answer is Armored core. Some are better than others, but there's been so many I don't even remember the versions I played. One game that goes completely off radar is Battle Clash for snes, mostly because it's a Super Scope game. It plays great and had high level Nintendo people working on the game. Music is decent too. .
#3 Posted by naju890_963 (8954 posts) -

Zone Of the Enders 1 and 2 for the PS2. Fantastic arcade mech games, their is also an HD collection on PS3 if you're interested.

#4 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -

WOLF FANG for the Saturn or PlayStation.

An excellent arcade game with part customization options that probably had an influence on the ARMORED CORE series.

#5 Posted by boredom_kills (190 posts) -

If side scrolling does it for you, you could do worse than Cybernator on the SNES. Depending on where you are in the world, the game also went by the name of Assault Suit Valkan. I loved that game.

#6 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

MechAssault 1 & 2 on the original XBox, and the Armored Core series on PS1 & PS2 are the best ones I've played. MechAssault is very action-oriented with lots of destructible environments and mutliple mechs to choose from. While Armored Core is still action-oriented, but more focused on earning money to upgrade your mech with an insane amount of interchangable parts, which can be quite satisfying when you finally build your "dream-mech".

#7 Posted by Byshop (11605 posts) -

Depends on what you're looking for. If you like full simulators then the already suggested Armored Core series is pretty good, and there are like a dozen of them between PS1 and PS2.

Steel Battalion is the best hands down in this category.

The cell shaded Robotech Battlecry was fun if you want an arcadey, fast paced mech shooter. Kind of like the already suggested ZOE series.

If you're looking for a good quality game that involves mechs but is more strategy oriented then the Front Mission series is worth checking out.

-Byshop

#8 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -

A bit more elaborated list :

MegaDrive family :

• X-RANZA
  • ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS
  • ARROW FLASH
  • MUSHA ALESTE
  • DENNIN ALESTE : NOBUNAGA AND HIS NINJA FORCE
  • VIXEN 357 (Strategy Simulation game)
  • DEVASTATOR (I wouldn't call it great personally, but some people might like it)
  • METAL HEAD (Super 32X - lots of divided opinions on this one)
  • BARI-ARM
  • ATOMIC ROBO-KID
  • FZ SENKI AXIS
  • HERZOG ZWEI

Saturn :

• GUN GRIFFON I & II
  • VIRTUAL-ON
  • MS GUNDAM GAIDEN TRILOGY
  • WOLF FANG
  • ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS 2
  • DEADALUS
  • BULK SLASH
  • CYBERBOTS
  • HYPER DUEL
  • SAKURA TAISEN (it has mechs...)

Dreamcast

• SUPER STEEL WARRIOR KIKAIOH / TECH ROMANCER(?)
  • MS GUNDAM GAIDEN : FALLEN COLONY
  • MS GUNDAM : FEDERATION VS ZEON
  • MS GUNDAM : GIRHEN'S AMBITION - BLOOD OF ZEON
  • FRAME GRIDE
  • VIRTUAL- ON : ORATORIO TANGRAM
  • MARIONETTE HANDLER 1 & 2
  • PANZER FRONT (becaus mechs started as tanks, game is great too)

There's lots of great mech games on classic (Japanese) PC systems and other more esoteric platforms, but I don't know if those would interest you.

#9 Posted by Kaszilla (1718 posts) -

A bit more elaborated list :

MegaDrive family :

• X-RANZA
  • ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS
  • ARROW FLASH
  • MUSHA ALESTE
  • DENNIN ALESTE : NOBUNAGA AND HIS NINJA FORCE
  • VIXEN 357 (Strategy Simulation game)
  • DEVASTATOR (I wouldn't call it great personally, but some people might like it)
  • METAL HEAD (Super 32X - lots of divided opinions on this one)
  • BARI-ARM
  • ATOMIC ROBO-KID
  • FZ SENKI AXIS
  • HERZOG ZWEI

Saturn :

• GUN GRIFFON I & II
  • VIRTUAL-ON
  • MS GUNDAM GAIDEN TRILOGY
  • WOLF FANG
  • ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS 2
  • DEADALUS
  • BULK SLASH
  • CYBERBOTS
  • HYPER DUEL
  • SAKURA TAISEN (it has mechs...)

Dreamcast

• SUPER STEEL WARRIOR KIKAIOH / TECH ROMANCER(?)
  • MS GUNDAM GAIDEN : FALLEN COLONY
  • MS GUNDAM : FEDERATION VS ZEON
  • MS GUNDAM : GIRHEN'S AMBITION - BLOOD OF ZEON
  • FRAME GRIDE
  • VIRTUAL- ON : ORATORIO TANGRAM
  • MARIONETTE HANDLER 1 & 2
  • PANZER FRONT (becaus mechs started as tanks, game is great too)

There's lots of great mech games on classic (Japanese) PC systems and other more esoteric platforms, but I don't know if those would interest you.

Panzer_Zwei
thanx for the list. Ranger x is good
#10 Posted by Saladin__7 (149 posts) -

PS2

Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Xbox

Mechwarrior

#11 Posted by DeafNYCPlayer (2307 posts) -
Front Mission series BatteTech/ MechWarrior series, also MechCommander, MechAssault Xenogears Ghost in the Shell series
#12 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
Zone of the Enders 1 & 2 Armored Core Series Front Mission 3 & 4 Metal Wolf Chaos
#13 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
armored core series, mainly 2 + 3
#14 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
If you've got the cash, the space, and don't mind keeping an original Xbox around, Steel Battalion is a must. (People even still play Line of Contact through Xlink Kai and other such tunneling services! Who needs Xbox Live?) Other than that, you've got the MechWarrior series (MW4: Mercenaries was made freeware on MekTek a while back), Heavy Gear II (you're gonna need an old computer for this one, preferably something Win98SE-era), and numerous other sims on PC that I haven't tried, like Earthsiege/Starsiege.
#15 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23604 posts) -
hawken
#16 Posted by Kaszilla (1718 posts) -
hawkenJigglyWiggly_
This is Legacy Forums, I dont have a good pc for that but how's chromehounds?
#17 Posted by Byshop (11605 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]hawkenKaszilla

That's just jiggly being his usual, helpful self. :P

Chromehounds was like a light knockoff of Armored Core. Not really all that great IMHO and the servers have been shut down already.

If you want to go -really- old school there were two semi-RPG titles for PC based on the Battletech universe called Battletech: The Cresent Hawk's Inception and The Cresent Hawk's Revenge. These were awesome games back in the day.

Are you looking for games in which you the player are piloting the mechs or strategy-style games that involve mechs that you control?

-Byshop

#18 Posted by Kaszilla (1718 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]hawkenByshop

That's just jiggly being his usual, helpful self. :P

Chromehounds was like a light knockoff of Armored Core. Not really all that great IMHO and the servers have been shut down already.

If you want to go -really- old school there were two semi-RPG titles for PC based on the Battletech universe called Battletech: The Cresent Hawk's Inception and The Cresent Hawk's Revenge. These were awesome games back in the day.

Are you looking for games in which you the player are piloting the mechs or strategy-style games that involve mechs that you control?

-Byshop

The former
#19 Posted by Planet_Pluto (2175 posts) -

Target Earth (Genesis)

Exo-Squad (Genesis) <-- although I enjoyed the show which helped me to enjoy a mediocre game a little extra