What are some deep and meaningful games?

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

What are some deep and meaningful video games that you have played?

Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, Fallout, would be mine. A lot more obviously, but not many that I can think of that are recent releases.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Silent HIll 2 and Ether One both jump out at me, both because of my real life experiences with taking care of a terminally ill loved one and people close to me who've had Alzheimer's. I can't really explain the impact briefly, so suffice to say I really got the sense that these were stories written by people that endured similar experiences... there are just moments you really learn to appreciate that you miss if you haven't had the real life experiences.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Thats easy.... Any story driven game with crappy gameplay.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

The Swapper

There's also the talos priniciple that came out yesterday. I made a topic about it looking for feedback but it seems no one has played it yet.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

The Bioshock franchise.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

The DeadRising Series (more specifically the first game) if your looking for good American Satire.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Bayonetta 1 and 2. Deep combat with loads of style and campy humor mean a lot to me.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

ps2 ghost master , lord of the ring , the 2 towers.still playing them.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Silent Hill 2, Journey, Heavy Rain, The Last of Us, Shadow of the Colossus, and at times Assassin's Creed 2. Also, Majoras Mask was pretty fucked up, too.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Assassin creed series

far cry series

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

For me: none. That's not something I actively look for in videogames. Some games have raised interesting topics, but none of those have been deep or meaningful on a personal level. I get that occasionally with movies or documentaries, but so far I haven't had it with videogames. I do find it interesting to analyse and discuss media products when other people point out deep or meaningful aspects, but I see that as an activity that's separated from the gaming experience itself. Unless I've heard about something prior to playing a game. For example, I'm curious to see how the first person perspective in GTA V will affect me when I'm going to play it on pc (there have been a lot of different opinions on that topic).

If deep and meaningful simply mean that a game emotionally moved me, then I really only had that with the Mass Effect series and a bit with Dishonored (before I realised I could actually save Emily). Strangely enough there were not a lot of emotions with the Walking Dead, even though I thoroughly enjoyed that game. I'm not entirely sure why, but it might have something to do with the game suggesting I had more agency than I actually had, which led to annoyance rather than emotions (for example,some of the events and dialogue choices surrounding Lilly shooting Carley made no sense to me and as such were frustrating rather than emotional).

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

The witcher 1 and 2 , freelancer , divinity original sin , shadow warrior , broken sword 1 , 2 and 5 , broken age act 1 , the longest journey , dreamfall , dreamfall chapters book 1 , the book of unwritten tales , deus ex series , half life series , no one lives forever series , freelancer , fear etc .

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Hmm...well, The Last of Us meant something to me after I played it. Others include Shadow of the Colossus, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mega Man X, Xenogears, the BioShock series excluding 2, Okami, Mass Effect, Heavy Rain, and Metroid Prime.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Mass effect trilogy, Dragon age Origins, Persona 4 Golden, Bioshock 1. You know, the games that make you think about its world and characters long after you turn off that console.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#15 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
  • Mass Effect trilogy
  • Dragon Age 1 & 2
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Spec Ops
  • Walking Dead
  • Wolf Among Us
  • Journey
  • flower
  • Assassin's Cred Black Flag
  • Proteus

Each for their own reasons, because a game like Spec Ops is totally different to Journey

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Some visual novels but I suppose those aren't really games.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#17  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: Forgot about Spec Ops and Journey. Add those to my list

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

Dark Souls, Stalker SoC. And I'm not real great at them and have a hard-time getting into them some times but Sid Meier's Civilization 5 and also Total War: Shogun 2. (This last one I have a really tough time getting into and have pretty much given up.)

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@commonfate said:

F/SN?

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@top_lel said:

@commonfate said:

F/SN?

No. 999 and Virtue's Last Reward.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

super Mario 3d world.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

To The Moon.

GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

The Bioshock series in particular Bioshock Infinite is a fantastic game, both emotional and exciting.

There was a game call Child of Eden,it was on both 360 and PS3, and I must say that was an other really emotional game as well.

Final fantasy X

Shin Megami Tensie 3: nocturne

Mass effect 3

Shadow of the colossus (was said many times)

The Last Story

And probably one of the most emotional games I have played this generation or last generation I should say is a game called Pandora's Tower!

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MikeHockbourns

@loafofgame said:

For me: none. That's not something I actively look for in videogames. Some games have raised interesting topics, but none of those have been deep or meaningful on a personal level. I get that occasionally with movies or documentaries, but so far I haven't had it with videogames. I do find it interesting to analyse and discuss media products when other people point out deep or meaningful aspects, but I see that as an activity that's separated from the gaming experience itself. Unless I've heard about something prior to playing a game. For example, I'm curious to see how the first person perspective in GTA V will affect me when I'm going to play it on pc (there have been a lot of different opinions on that topic).

If deep and meaningful simply mean that a game emotionally moved me, then I really only had that with the Mass Effect series and a bit with Dishonored (before I realised I could actually save Emily). Strangely enough there were not a lot of emotions with the Walking Dead, even though I thoroughly enjoyed that game. I'm not entirely sure why, but it might have something to do with the game suggesting I had more agency than I actually had, which led to annoyance rather than emotions (for example,some of the events and dialogue choices surrounding Lilly shooting Carley made no sense to me and as such were frustrating rather than emotional).

none? really? I mean if you're a true gamer I find that hard to believe. Metal Gear Solid was pretty deep and meaningful with the whole nuclear weapons will be the death of us all theme.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@MikeHockbourns

Cutscenes !

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@mikehockbourns said:

none? really? I mean if you're a true gamer I find that hard to believe. Metal Gear Solid was pretty deep and meaningful with the whole nuclear weapons will be the death of us all theme.

I don't really care about those labels, 'true' or 'gamer'. I like playing videogames, I like reading about them in the media and I like discussing them (and their broader context). I do have to admit that videogames have only been a serious hobby for about three years (serious as in: not just playing them, but also reading and talking about them). Before that I simply played a lot, but often only a few games. I've never had a console or a handheld in my life. I can count the console and handheld games I've played on one hand. I do like to keep up with all features and coverage on all platforms, though. If a game is interesting, it's interesting, regardless of whether or not I'm going to play it.

Anyway, the reason I'm a bit hesitant is because I'm not entirely sure how I should interpret 'deep' and 'meaningful'. If the terms mean something like 'made you think about bigger issues, changed your view of the world, etc.', then no, no game has done that. Games are often (NOT always) too similar and superficial in their narratives to be that impacting on my world views and ideas. Sure, some games might raise interesting topics (Spec Ops: The Line comes to mind), but so far no game has made any deep and meaningful impression. At least, not in that sense. That doesn't mean I can't see how they could be deep and meaningful. For example, a lot of post-apocalypse videogames touch on human nature in crisis situations. GTA games have a very impactful way of confronting you with questionable (US/western) values, ideals and obsessions. But well, I do not think there was ever a game that made me think: 'huh, never thought about it like that' or 'wow, that's an interesting viewpoint.' Maybe movies, documentaries and books simply jumped the gun on that one during my youth and teens.

If the terms mean something like 'moving, emotional, etc.', then of course, that has happened from time to time (I mentioned some games in my previous post). Videogames can move you in similar ways a movie does, if the characters are likable and the story is engaging.

If the terms mean something like 'had an impact on your life as far as entertainment can do that', then yes, I can also name a few. I played Age of Empires 2 to death when I was in primary school. I liked how the game was related to real history, not some fantasy world, and I remember repeatedly reading the additional information about the different civilizations. It was an interesting way to learn about medieval history. MOHAA was the first shooter I played (I wasn't allowed to play videogames that were too violent during my youth). As a kid I was curious about WWII and being able to play in settings I had seen in Saving Private Ryan was amazing. And I thought the music was great (I still listen to it from time to time). But again, while awesome and memorable experiences, I wouldn't call them 'deep' or 'meaningful' in the sense that they contributed to how I view the world or made me think about things in a different light. At least, not in a significant way.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

I think shadow of the colossus was deep an meaningful in its own way.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Last_Ride

@mastermetal777 said:

those are pretty good tbh

GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#29 GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@mastermetal777 said:

Goodness how could I have forgotten about Journey and Spec Ops: The Line....

I know a certain game also about a blue hedgehog who dies and a kiss by a princess brings him back to life, i heard that was a pretty meaningful game :P

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Most games be be deep it a matter of perspective. I find most games that are "deep" are often bad. Look at Spec ops the Line. If you have not played it is a game where the main character willing make it so people will die from lack of clean water and then it force you to burn hiding people while telling a the most generic story ever. It does not even come close to any other generic shooter story. It has one of the worse story I have ever seen in a game and many only see the "depth" it has. Its "depth" is the only think people try to defend with poor arguments.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@commonfate said:

@top_lel said:

@commonfate said:

F/SN?

No. 999 and Virtue's Last Reward.

oh I though you were gonna say F/SN judging from your avy. Anyways, great tastes man!

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Walking Dead games & Valiant Hearts come to mind...

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

Brothers

Shenmue

Journy

FF7

Shadow Of The Collossus

The Last Of Us

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Bioshock series and Mass Effect 2 for me ....

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 The_Last_Ride

@GamerNerdTalk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@mastermetal777 said:

Goodness how could I have forgotten about Journey and Spec Ops: The Line....

I know a certain game also about a blue hedgehog who dies and a kiss by a princess brings him back to life, i heard that was a pretty meaningful game :P

Yeah those are two good games :P

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Dreamfall games, some of the Myst games, and Final Fantasy 8

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

The Last Of Us is great in terms of story, if you're looking for a meaningful plot, as well as Bioshock. I think they both blend story and gameplay really well, and are just all around great games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58848 Posts

"Planescape Torment" and "Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask Of The Betrayer".

Modern game wise - I'd recommend "Dues Ex Human Revolution".

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MikeHockbourns

@TheHighWind said:

Dreamfall games, some of the Myst games, and Final Fantasy 8

LOVE FF8, hard to choose it over 7 for the sheer importance of 7.

@uninspiredcup said:

"Planescape Torment" and "Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask Of The Betrayer".

Modern game wise - I'd recommend "Dues Ex Human Revolution".

I totally forgot about Deus Ex HR, definitely one of the best games last gen and one of the most meaningful, because that seems like where we are heading in the future.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40  Edited By AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Dead Space 1,2,3............awesome games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44102 Posts
  • Mass Effect trilogy
  • Bioshock games
  • Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross
  • Metal Gear Solid games