Went to a PS4 kiosk at Walmart

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wubikro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wubikro
Member since 2013 • 54 Posts

They had Knack playing on a demo machine, and I thought the graphics were surprisingly bad for a next-gen console. I'm not trying to hate on the system, but it looked just like a PS3 game. Blurry, low resolution, and tons of aliasing. They had an Xbox One demo machine next to it, and it looked just as bad. Do all next-gen titles look like this on consoles?

Ironically, they had a Wii U demo booth next to them which was playing the Wind Waker HD remake, and it looked so much better and clearer. It was much more pleasing to look at.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

I pretty much nailed Knack for the same thing in my review. Not the game they needed to showcase the PS4.

What Xbox One game was running?

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

KZSF would have been the perfect demo and Ryse would have been the perfect demo but as we know just because you own a company and became successful though faith doesn't mean that you have a brain. Actually the more money people have the more the brain lacks basic functions.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

@RimacBugatti said:

KZSF would have been the perfect demo and Ryse would have been the perfect demo but as we know just because you own a company and became successful though faith doesn't mean that you have a brain. Actually the more money people have the more the brain lacks basic functions.

While KZSF and Ryse would better showcase the PS4/Xbone capabilities, it's ridiculous to expect such violent products to be put on showcase where any little kid could play them. The video game industry has enough hate mongers when it comes to violence, we don't need to get more uneducated people thrown into the mix after seeing a 2 minute demo at the store.

Knack doesn't impress us, but it gets the kids talking which gets them bugging their parents which gets them to buy the console. This is the same reason you see things like Ice Age, How to Train Your Dragon, or any Disney movie on the TVs in the entertainment section instead of say, 300.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RimacBugatti

Your right but I guess I always saw Nintendo as the childs console but that doesn't stop them from playing I guess. Well Forza 5 and Driveclub would have been ideal in that case so I guess Microsoft made a bad choice and Playstation didn't move fast enough.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6  Edited By IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

@RimacBugatti: Well the Xbox One kiosk near my house only had Forza 5 on showcase. Er, it had a shitty Kinect game too but I just remember it not working, so... but yeah, Forza 5 was great. Driveclub would have been good too, but alas, they delayed it. Too bad too, game looks like a winner right now.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

It could have been a number of things making it "look bad". The tv they used wasn't set up correctly visually, the settings in the menu under video on the consoles could have been set up wrong, also not all games will look alot better than the previous generation.

The graphics this generation(PS4/Xbox One) isn't as big as "jump" in graphics as the "jump" in graphics from the original Xbox/PS2 to the Xbox360/PS3 or atleast at first may not be as noticeable to some. In some games like Killzone Shadow Fall and Ryse: Son of Rome the graphics look really good to great at times, but in games like Dead Rising 3 the graphics may not look as good even though they are alot better than then the previous Dead Rising games because it has like hundreds if not more zombies on the screen at one time and they are all moving and doing something. That is a something that the PS3/Xbox 360 just can't do, and it takes alot of power to do that so you can't have great looking graphics all the time.

It is true that some people say that graphics aren't everything or don't matter, but they sure do help. With that being said these new games on these new consoles still look great, but not as good as they could because some games have alot of other things in game to process to help make the games more playable and that helps make it more fun.

Games are about having fun, and so far none of these games have disappointed me yet as I am very happy with my PS4 and Xbox One.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RimacBugatti

Yeah the more going on the more exciting agreed. Driveclub having been delayed I'm assuming will prove to be superior to Forza 5. All those zombies do make the game look really fun. I have been thinking of getting the game but I don't want to be disappointed graphically.

tiger5lood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 tiger5lood
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Maybe the tvs inside the kiosks weren't on a High Defintion setting? Like someone stated above, the person that was in charge of setting that up may not have had the knowledge to make it look as good as it should. What store was it & what kind of monitors/TVs where they using?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

@DarkCatalyst said:

I pretty much nailed Knack for the same thing in my review. Not the game they needed to showcase the PS4.

What Xbox One game was running?

Knack may have not been impressive graphically, but the gameplay is a lot of fun, even if it a kid's platformer with basic fighting mechanics thrown in.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

@wubikro said:

They had Knack playing on a demo machine, and I thought the graphics were surprisingly bad for a next-gen console. I'm not trying to hate on the system, but it looked just like a PS3 game. Blurry, low resolution, and tons of aliasing. They had an Xbox One demo machine next to it, and it looked just as bad. Do all next-gen titles look like this on consoles?

Ironically, they had a Wii U demo booth next to them which was playing the Wind Waker HD remake, and it looked so much better and clearer. It was much more pleasing to look at.

Name one game that came out when a new system came out that blew you away visually? It takes time to take advantage of a systems graphically capabilities.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

@Metamania: See, I can't even give it that. Cerny has done so much better in the past with less to work with. Knack is basically the corridor shooter of platformers. Where's the exploration from Spyro? Where's the level design from Sonic 2? Knack could've been an infinitely better game even without being a graphics showcase, but it wasn't. There's a reason I scored it a 2/5.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

@DarkCatalyst: Yeah, man, I know. I read your review in full and that was one of the problems you did bring up; the linearity. And to be quite honest, I didn't think you would be remotely interested in a series like Spyro at all and an more surprised by the fact that you digged its exploration, which is something I only found in the very first game I played, which was on the Playstation One (the series crumbed and died a long time ago, but Spyro lives on through the Skylander games apparently). That being said, the tastes we have are varied, that's for sure.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Must ohave been the TVs. Knack is no juggernaut, but it's a very crisp, clear title. Not blurry.