We love some games because of nostalgia

This topic is locked from further discussion.

marlobc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 marlobc
Member since 2008 • 815 Posts

I think we love some games , just because of pure nostalgia , those games may not be that good to us if they came in the present , but we love the time we had playing them , and all the great memories . Some of the examples for me are Halo3 , COD4 , Mirrors edge , BF bad company . Please share your best nostalgic games .

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Absolutely. Some good examples for me are Nintendo games... Like Wind Waker. I loved it back in the day on Gamecube, but I played it again recently on Wii U and I just didn't really get into it. Goes with a few other Ninty games too.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

At the other end of the spectrum you have these ppl that go completely nuts over whatever the 'newest flavor of the month' is, just because it's new, only to completely forget about it (as it was most likely non memorable anyway) when the next 'big thing' gets hyped.

marlobc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 marlobc

@hrt_rulz01: i know what you mean

marlobc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marlobc

@bussinrounds: hype is the worst thing happened to games , take the example of destiny's 'alpha ' and Watch dogs

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Some games for me have the nostalgia but also don't get old. The 2D Mario or New Super Mario Bros., Megaman (X, Zero, ZX), 2D Castlevania, 2D Metroid and 2D Sonic stuff still feel fresh to me. That might just be because 2D games rarely change when compared to 3D games though. Some 3D games are still fun to play though. I can still binge on Super Mario 64, GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas and Metroid Prime.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@marlobc said:

I think we love some games , just because of pure nostalgia , those games may not be that good to us if they came in the present , but we love the time we had playing them , and all the great memories . Some of the examples for me are Halo3 , COD4 , Mirrors edge , BF bad company . Please share your best nostalgic games .

I think you are right in that assessment , it's like with the first kiss, there isent a time like the first and even though the following are sometimes better, nothing beats that first time.

But my fondest moment was probably of Resident evil, that game was the reason i got a ps1 back in the day.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I don't understand.... I like good games.... Most of them just happen to be old.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#9 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

Oblivion. I love that game a ton...everything about it makes me nostalgic. The soundtrack, the world, the sound effects....the repetitive dialogue lol. And the repetitive voice acting. The latter two are probably to the games detriment, but they are pretty nostalgic for me just because I have spent over 300 hours with the game, and that stuff just sticks to my mind.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Meh, nostalgia's overrated. Sure, there are some games that I hold fond memories of, but that I've attempted to go back to and couldn't stomach (Battletoads NES comes to mind), but there are also games that I can continually (and do) go back to and they are as amazing as the first time, such as Super Metroid, Fallout 1, XCom, and the original DOOM. Some games are timeless and maintain their quality regardless of time that's past or my biased fondness for them. I find it's pretty easy to distinguish between the two as time goes on, actually.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

I absolutely agree. Growing up in the NES-era my favorite consoles would be nes and sega genesis. Whenever I see a good 2d game I just have to buy it there's no other way. I think I have 100+ 2d games as of now. The interesting thing is that my little brother is nostalgic for PS1-like games and hates 2d games.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I don't understand.... I like good games.... Most of them just happen to be old.

Yeah, I don't think we ever really stop liking games that we used to play. Get tired of it but never actually stop liking it.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

@marlobc: Exactly.. take sonic the hedgehog for example.. its just an average sidescroller and yet its franchise is treated with so much fervor and anticipation.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I can't think of a game where I played it recently and thought "man this isn't that great, how did I ever like this?" Maybe it is just nostalgia, but I can usually find good qualities in my favorite older games.

Also TC listed games that are all fairly recent. Not sure why.

Nitro73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Nitro73
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

For me, I don't have that problem so much. Maybe if I tried to go back and play some of the older NFS titles on PC, but I can't really think of any that would be bad... except Eve of Extinction on PS2.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#17 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

I feel nostalgic for each passing generation lol; every era had its distinct style and feel.
I think it will stop here, now that the lines between gens are blurring

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

I try not to let nostalgia color my feelings for entertainment. If you see me talk about old games, such as Super Metroid, its because I revisit them over and over. I proclaim things classics not by my initial assessment but by does it keep me coming back again and again over the years.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

Oblivion. I love that game a ton...everything about it makes me nostalgic. The soundtrack, the world, the sound effects....the repetitive dialogue lol. And the repetitive voice acting. The latter two are probably to the games detriment, but they are pretty nostalgic for me just because I have spent over 300 hours with the game, and that stuff just sticks to my mind.

That's what I came here to say. ^_^

I'll finally get it on PC now that it's on the steam summer sale. I can't wait to lose myself in its world once more.

Bgamer221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Bgamer221
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Yes, indeed. Specially when all of your memory is deleted when you where 99.9% to ace a game and take that platinum achievement. Just that nostalgic stress makes them wonderful.

Wistful_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wistful_Gamer
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

I had that experience with a game called Stunt GP. It's nothing special and it's mainly for kids, I spent hours playing it more than 10 years ago and had some unforgettable moments fighting with my cousin about which game to play because he hated it. Awhile ago I tried to play it again and had the same fun I used to have when I played it as a kid.

marlobc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By marlobc

@torenojohn7: @Jacanuk: yes that is what i am talking about :)

GH05T-666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 1

#23 GH05T-666
Member since 2010 • 1067 Posts

Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Samus, Sonic, Pokemon

All excellent nostalgia game characters!

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

You know you're young when a 2008 game counts as "nostalgia"

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Hear, Hear. Isnt that what its all about? Some new games consolidate the action to make things more instant for te modern gamer when the control scheme is loaded.

And older games had simpler controls but paced out the challenges, tension and mastery differently just to condition us.

Old or new game I think the fact is were stuck in between two different schools of thought in game making. Only real question is how ADD or patient one feeld at any given moment when they turn on their system. I've been noticing I felt more patient (sit down with a good book) playing on the pc then when turning on the ps3/360 last gen which is more like (its 10pm my shows are on!)