Watch_Dogs sells 4 million in its first week; new record

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

So they have set a new record for a new franchise. Also showing that fall isn't the only time games can thrive.

High-Res

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 High-Res
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

Well, PS4 & XOne gamers are starving and will buy anything to play something on their new consoles (*cough* Wolfenstein *cough*).

Another point of interest is well, they launched that game onto 4 Systems (5 if you count PC). All with a heavy installed base. Yes, even the new systems have a very healthy install base.

Lastly and not to bash on Ubi cause I love them....Ubi games have no Shelf Life...they are kind of like Gears or Halo. They shoot their whole load at launch and have little to no sales afterwards. Hell if you are willing to wait 2 - 3 weeks after launch you can almost always buy a Ubi $59.99 for $39.99

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Last_Ride

@High-Res said:

Well, PS4 & XOne gamers are starving and will buy anything to play something on their new consoles (*cough* Wolfenstein *cough*).

Another point of interest is well, they launched that game onto 4 Systems (5 if you count PC). All with a heavy installed base. Yes, even the new systems have a very healthy install base.

Lastly and not to bash on Ubi cause I love them....Ubi games have no Shelf Life...they are kind of like Gears or Halo. They shoot their whole load at launch and have little to no sales afterwards. Hell if you are willing to wait 2 - 3 weeks after launch you can almost always buy a Ubi $59.99 for $39.99

i haven't seen that here unfortunately, may be because games cost 120 bucks

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Like I said before, all that marketing paid off. Literally.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Behardy24

Ubisoft=

LiquidButter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 LiquidButter
Member since 2014 • 46 Posts

I preordered it. Proud I did, and I hope it leads to more Watch Dogs games.

Hate me.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Gee I wonder what game will be number one for May's NPD list. :P

Anyway congrats to Ubi, I just picked up a copy of the game for my Xbox One and so far the game is excellent.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I wonder how many of those 4 million were traded into Gamestop after those who didn't like it realized the game didn't live up to the hype.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Behardy24

@liquidbutter said:

I preordered it. Proud I did, and I hope it leads to more Watch Dogs games.

Hate me.

With the amount of money the game has made thus far, a Watch Dogs sequel is inevitably.

LiquidButter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LiquidButter
Member since 2014 • 46 Posts

@behardy24: Good. Then I got what I paid for. I like the game and used my wallet to vote for a sequel. It feels like people just want to bash Ubisoft for overhyping and breaking sales records through hype. Well I bought into it and I'm not ashamed of it. I love the world they are building, I love the themes explored in Watch Dogs, and I want more of it.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@behardy24 said:

Like I said before, all that marketing paid off. Literally.

Their E3 presentation was apparently brilliant as well. So many people ate that up and decided right then they were going to buy the game, even when reality hit with all the news that came after that.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#12  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@liquidbutter said:

@behardy24: Good. Then I got what I paid for. I like the game and used my wallet to vote for a sequel. It feels like people just want to bash Ubisoft for overhyping and breaking sales records through hype. Well I bought into it and I'm not ashamed of it. I love the world they are building, I love the themes explored in Watch Dogs, and I want more of it.

Glad to see a non-hater for once.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Last_Ride

@jasean79 said:

I wonder how many of those 4 million were traded into Gamestop after those who didn't like it realized the game didn't live up to the hype.

i still have it and i love it

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

i still have it and i love it

So I guess it's really up to the person playing it. I haven't played it yet, will probably wait for a sale before picking it up.

What I can't stand is when people compare games to others and then use that as a basis for how bad a title is. For instance, all I hear is how bad WD is in comparison to GTA games. GTA is its own thing - it shouldn't be compared to other open world games, just because they're open world. GTA V I thought was good, but isn't the game that defines all. I've played better.

High-Res

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 High-Res
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: Are you in Latin America? Wouldn't it just easier to have a Family member buy it and "mail" it to you?

That really upsets me because the games designated to Latin America are actually CHEAPER than the games Designated for the US.

Just for a quick Example, and EA in the US has a cost of around $48.00 -$50.00 to the retailer who then marks it up to $59.99

The wholesale cost on the same exact game, if it is designated for the Latin America Market is $38.00 to $42.00 dollars!!!!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@High-Res said:

@The_Last_Ride: Are you in Latin America? Wouldn't it just easier to have a Family member buy it and "mail" it to you?

That really upsets me because the games designated to Latin America are actually CHEAPER than the games Designated for the US.

Just for a quick Example, and EA in the US has a cost of around $48.00 -$50.00 to the retailer who then marks it up to $59.99

The wholesale cost on the same exact game, if it is designated for the Latin America Market is $38.00 to $42.00 dollars!!!!

Look in my signature, i am not in LAtin america mate

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@jasean79 said:

Hmm, doubt its that many

Most who buy this probably got it online and the ones who got it from a store is probably to lazy to go down there again :D

But its a nice sale, but i doubt it will sell a lot more than that, most are finding out just how horrible broken the game is.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm glad I only rented it.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Congrats to Ubisoft for releasing this amazing game.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 The_Last_Ride

@Bigboi500 said:

Why? It's amazing

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Why? It's amazing

It's FAR from amazing. Sure, it has its moments, the gunplay is good, the hacking and profiling is fun, invading and being invaded is fun for a while, and the game looks gorgeous. But the negatives heavily out weigh the positives: the story is laughable, the main missions are short and consist largely of filler content, the driving mechanics are horrible, NPCs are over-sensitive and repetitive, AI is extremely stupid.

I think Ubi might have something here to build on. Watch Dogs is kind of like the first Assassin's Creed game in that it's the beginning of a new franchise that might have some potential as a series in the future, and its first offering is a bit primitive and lacking.

I did just about everything in the game, played it hard for days. I rated it a 7/10.

vicky_john1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 vicky_john1
Member since 2014 • 230 Posts

Amazing.. sounds good... So what's next ? Is there any info about watch dogs sequel

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sukraj

no sequel yet.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Last_Ride

@Bigboi500 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Why? It's amazing

It's FAR from amazing. Sure, it has its moments, the gunplay is good, the hacking and profiling is fun, invading and being invaded is fun for a while, and the game looks gorgeous. But the negatives heavily out weigh the positives: the story is laughable, the main missions are short and consist largely of filler content, the driving mechanics are horrible, NPCs are over-sensitive and repetitive, AI is extremely stupid.

I think Ubi might have something here to build on. Watch Dogs is kind of like the first Assassin's Creed game in that it's the beginning of a new franchise that might have some potential as a series in the future, and its first offering is a bit primitive and lacking.

I did just about everything in the game, played it hard for days. I rated it a 7/10.

Well i love it

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sukraj

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Why? It's amazing

Well i love it

so do i bro

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@sukraj: Haters gonna hate