was the Xbox more powerful than the GameCube?

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts

Ok, I was at bestbuy showing an employee how my phone had better graphics than the vita, and I dont know why but he said the ps2 had the strongest graphics chip of its gen nd I corrected him. Before I knew it 5 employees got into the discussion and a few customers. It turnned into a gc vs xbox hardware war. Both sides made valid points but I couldn't believe  an argument would break out over decade old console hardware. Apparently the xbox gpu was more powerful than the gc's but it could do stuff the xgpu couldn't and the xbox's programmble shaders took a hit on performance whereas the gmecube's fixed function shaders didnt. The gc had a better cpu and faster ram altho less. apparently the xbox wouldnt be able to handle wind waker due to slow ram but jet set radio future looks way better imo. I still have both consolez and I dont think one looks better thn the other graphically, but gc exclusives do run better with less frame drops than the xbox. So, was the xbox really the most powerful console or was it like a ps3 vs 360 situation? 

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I think last gen went like this in power terms

Xbox >>> GC >> PS2 > DC 

Xbox was the only console I never owned. So I never got to play it much because I only knew one person who owned one. 

Hseptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hseptic
Member since 2003 • 1566 Posts
What you said makes sense, TC. Both had their advantages and weaknesses.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Xbox was more powerful but I still think Metroid Prime 1+2 look MUCH better than Halo 1 or Halo 2.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#5 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Xbox was more powerful, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. 

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Xbox was more powerful but I still think Metroid Prime 1+2 look MUCH better than Halo 1 or Halo 2. YoshiYogurt
IMO, Halo 1 looked better. Halo 2 had downgraded graphics, though. In Halo 2, the character models were shiny, the textures were awful, and the framerate was much worse than Halo 1...
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Xbox was more powerful, but Nintendo knew better how to take full advantage of the hardware.
Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts
What you said makes sense, TC. Both had their advantages and weaknesses.Hseptic
Not really, I dont see any advantage the GC had over the Xbox as is. in theory, the Ganecube had more raw power, with how they made the Gamecube, you aren't going to see that raw power. I was going to say the Gamecube had the upper hand with having the ability to use brighter colors on polygons, but i was proven wrong about that recently.
Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

They were pretty close - they had different architecture and the graphics on some of the games were on par with each other, but the Xbox had the advantage in DVD space and its internal hard drive. 

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kaszilla
[QUOTE="Hseptic"]What you said makes sense, TC. Both had their advantages and weaknesses.Jakandsigz
Not really, I dont see any advantage the GC had over the Xbox as is. in theory, the Ganecube had more raw power, with how they made the Gamecube, you aren't going to see that raw power. I was going to say the Gamecube had the upper hand with having the ability to use brighter colors on polygons, but i was proven wrong about that recently.

Rebel Strike on the GC outperformed every xbox game technically
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]Xbox was more powerful but I still think Metroid Prime 1+2 look MUCH better than Halo 1 or Halo 2. superclocked
IMO, Halo 1 looked better. Halo 2 had downgraded graphics, though. In Halo 2, the character models were shiny, the textures were awful, and the framerate was much worse than Halo 1...

After playing these games in recent times on the OG Xbox, i found Halo 2 to look astronomically better than Halo CE, so i honestly cannot comprehend such an opinion. The performance was the exact same as CE, aswell.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts
[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"][QUOTE="Hseptic"]What you said makes sense, TC. Both had their advantages and weaknesses.Kaszilla

What are you talking about?
Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kaszilla
[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"][QUOTE="Kaszilla"][QUOTE="Jakandsigz"] Not really, I dont see any advantage the GC had over the Xbox as is. in theory, the Ganecube had more raw power, with how they made the Gamecube, you aren't going to see that raw power. I was going to say the Gamecube had the upper hand with having the ability to use brighter colors on polygons, but i was proven wrong about that recently.

The GC game Rebel Strike was the most impressive game technically that gen What are you talking about?

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

It deff. had a better GPU and more RAM.

Xbox's GPU was a modified GeForce 3 and very advanced for it's time.

In comparison, GC had a GPU developed by ArtX, who were later acquired by ATi (now AMD) and it had, like you said, fixed-function shaders and was more in the performance ballpark of the GeForce 2. (PS2's GPU was somewhere in in the middle of GF1 & GF2, performance-wise)

GC's strong points were the fast 1T-SRAM and PowerPC CPU architecture which was better for graphics related stuff than the modified Pentium 3 in Xbox.

Still, more RAM and a better GPU gave Xbox the graphical edge over NGC and several games showcased it. (not so much GC games whose most impressive games came out rather late, e.g. Rogue Leader 2 & Resident Evil 4)

The CPU debate is also under question since Xbox showcased physics and AI not seen in GC games which may lead to conclusion that it's Pentium 3 derivate was actually better for those calculations than the PowerPC in GC.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#15 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

The GameCube had more raw power, in terms of floating point performance and polygon fill rate.

However, the Xbox had superior shading capabilities (programmable hardware pixel shaders versus the GameCube's fixed-function pipeline shading).

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Xbox was more powerful. However I wonder what would of happened if both systems lasted longer.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

There used to be a website that listed the 'tech specs' of every system from every console generation (pcvsconsole.com - but it seems like it doesn't exist anymore).

At least from what I remember, the main CPU speed in the Xbox was something like 750MHz vs the one in the GameCube was somewhere around 400, or 450MHz. The Wii is/was actually very similar in power to the original Xbox. PS2 was around 300, and DreamCast was 233. Not that CPU power is everything, just the main thing I remember.

Edit:  It seemed like most multiplatform games either had smoother framerates and/or more graphical touches available on the Xbox version.  It may have also been said that games like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 could only be run on the Xbox.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#18 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
Um... yeah. :|
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Even if you go by the bare minimum of speed Nintendo Gamecube run a 485 Megahertz and Xbox ran a 733 megahehertz. Plus the Xbox had a 8GB HDD which ended up being quite revolutionary for videogame consoles at the time this was new. Today Xbox One and PS4 will come with 500GB HDD's back way back in 2001. It was a brand new idea of a HDD coming with your videogame console out of the box.

Xbox was basically a Pentium 3 computer. While Gamecube used the processor of a 1997 Power PC 1 computer. Which began Nintendo's tradition of PowerPC tech for their game consoles as seen in Wii and Wii U.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Yes.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kaszilla

Even if you go by the bare minimum of speed Nintendo Gamecube run a 485 Megahertz and Xbox ran a 733 megahehertz. Plus the Xbox had a 8GB HDD which ended up being quite revolutionary for videogame consoles at the time this was new. Today Xbox One and PS4 will come with 500GB HDD's back way back in 2001. It was a brand new idea of a HDD coming with your videogame console out of the box.

Xbox was basically a Pentium 3 computer. While Gamecube used the processor of a 1997 Power PC 1 computer. Which began Nintendo's tradition of PowerPC tech for their game consoles as seen in Wii and Wii U.

Megavideogamer
The gamecubes powerpc cpu was clocked lower than the p3 but it was still more powerful
Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Yo-SUP
Member since 2013 • 357 Posts
[QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

Kaszilla
The gamecubes powerpc cpu was clocked lower than the p3 but it was still more powerful

Which doesn't matter at all. Overall, the Gamecube was weaker in every area with some games being very hard to even get running on the Gamecube. A stronger CPU means nothing if people have issues running gimped PC games on your console.
LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

Xbox was more powerful. However I wonder what would of happened if both systems lasted longer.

Seabas989
I wished they did, the XBox & Gamecube only lasted 4-5 years while this past gen we got a 8 year life span from the 360, 6 for the Wii and 7 for the PS3, crazy. After looking at games like GOWII, Resident Evil IV and Black I'm sure those systems had a couple of years left in them before moving on to newer systems.
Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Yo-SUP
Member since 2013 • 357 Posts
[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

LittleMac19
I wished they did, the XBox & Gamecube only lasted 4-5 years while this past gen we got a 8 year life span from the 360, 6 for the Wii and 7 for the PS3, crazy. After looking at games like GOWII, Resident Evil IV and Black I'm sure those systems had a couple of years left in them before moving on to newer systems.

Gamecube lasted like 6, Xbox was the first to bail out. To be honest, it was the normal average time frame, and I don't think we would have seen much better from the GC and Xbox.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nameless12345

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"][QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Yo-SUP

Gamecube lasted like 6, Xbox was the first to bail out. To be honest, it was the normal average time frame, and I don't think we would have seen much better from the GC and Xbox.

It would be cool if MS went with a 1 GHz CPU and 128 MB RAM with the first Xbox.

They were already loosing cash on it so why not give gamers that extra bit of power? ;) (you could upgrade the console with a 1 GHz CPU and 128 MB RAM but games didn't take advantage of it)

GameCube would also benefit from more RAM.

I actually think the next-gen consoles will be the first time consoles won't run out of RAM so fast or that it would bottleneck development.

WhySoLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WhySoLimp
Member since 2009 • 135 Posts

Xbox was known as the graphics king that gen, right? Didn't some of its games even run in 720p?

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]Xbox was more powerful but I still think Metroid Prime 1+2 look MUCH better than Halo 1 or Halo 2. Lucianu

After playing these games in recent times on the OG Xbox, i found Halo 2 to look astronomically better than Halo CE, so i honestly cannot comprehend such an opinion. The performance was the exact same as CE, aswell.

The character models looked better back then with the specular layer added to them, but some of the environments were awful looking. I didn't see a single bad texture in Halo 1. Halo 2 had horrible textures all over the place. And it seems like I remember framerate drops at times in Halo 2. Maybe not, but aside from the character textures, the textures were awful in comparison, especially up close...
dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

xbox 1. gamecube was a piece of shit.

xbox 1 came out at a time that i was still devastated from the dreamcast's violent death. it was nice having a hardcore gaming console back. i liked it better at for its time than 360 now

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kaszilla
If the xbox was more powerful, why do the gc exclusives look as good if not better than xbox exclusivez while running at smoother framerates?
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

If the xbox was more powerful, why do the gc exclusives look as good if not better than xbox exclusivez while running at smoother framerates?Kaszilla

Because Nintendo are very talented when it comes to their games.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kaszilla

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]If the xbox was more powerful, why do the gc exclusives look as good if not better than xbox exclusivez while running at smoother framerates?Seabas989

Because Nintendo are very talented when it comes to their games.

That and bcuz the gc's hardware. Sony is also talented but that doesnt magically make demanding games run smooth bcuz they usually didnt.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nameless12345

If the xbox was more powerful, why do the gc exclusives look as good if not better than xbox exclusivez while running at smoother framerates?Kaszilla

Depends which ones.

The Rogue Squadron and Resident Evil games on NGC look fantastic to this day, still.

But Xbox had Doom 3, Far Cry Instincts, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi, Ninja Gaiden, SC: Chaos Theory which gave GC's best a run for their money.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kaszilla

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]If the xbox was more powerful, why do the gc exclusives look as good if not better than xbox exclusivez while running at smoother framerates?nameless12345

Depends which ones.

The Rogue Squadron and Resident Evil games on NGC look fantastic to this day, still.

But Xbox had Doom 3, Far Cry Instincts, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi, Ninja Gaiden, SC: Chaos Theory which gave GC's best a run for their money.

That's my point tho. The GC was at LEAST as powerful as the xbox based on the games
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jag85

Megavideogamer

The GameCube's PowerPC CPU was faster than the Xbox's Pentium III. It's not the clock rate that matters, but how many instructions it could process with each clock cycle. The PowerPC was superior to the Pentium III in that regard, hence why the Xbox 360 abandoned the Pentium III and went with a PowerPC architecture like the GameCube. In addition, the GameCube's 1T-SRAM was also faster than the Xbox's SDRAM. When it came to speed, the GameCube was the faster console, with practical polygon fill rates pushing up to 15 million polygons per second in game, while the Xbox was barely able to push beyond 10 million polygons per second in game. The Xbox's main advantages over the GameCube lied in its more advanced 3D graphical capabilities, particularly the use of programmable pixel shaders, and of course the PC-like architecture which made it easier to develop games for.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jag85

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]If the xbox was more powerful, why do the gc exclusives look as good if not better than xbox exclusivez while running at smoother framerates?nameless12345

Depends which ones.

I'd say the GC's Rebel Strike and Xbox's Chaos Theory both looked good enough to rival the Xbox 360's launch games.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]If the xbox was more powerful, why do the gc exclusives look as good if not better than xbox exclusivez while running at smoother framerates?Jag85

Depends which ones.

I'd say the GC's Rebel Strike and Xbox's Chaos Theory both looked good enough to rival the Xbox 360's launch games.

If they were running in HD res, yes.

But 360 still had better-looking launch games like Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, PGR3, GRAW, ect.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
You wouldn't catch me dead ever touching the XBox, so I prefer the GameCube.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 YoshiYogurt
You wouldn't catch me dead ever touching the XBox, so I prefer the GameCube.BigBen11111
Why not? There are some good games for it.
tchurch95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tchurch95
Member since 2013 • 86 Posts

I think this question is kind of inherently flawed.

Are you asking "what machine has better graphics, sound, and processing capabilities?" That is a question with a surefire answer, and not an opinion as people tend to treat it. "The GC is more powerful," some people say, "because Super Metroid looked graphically better than Halo." That's not a reason. That's called a Hasty Generalization, which is a form of logical fallacy. "One game looks better than another, therefore the entire system must be better than another."

The only people I can think of who are technically capable of answering this question are game developers and product designers, and I'm not one of those and I don't think that many of us are. If you were to ask "which console was the better gaming system?" then that'd be more up to opinion and would probably run smoother; better yet, "which console had better titles?" Then some could all say "I preferred Super Metroid to Halo," and others could disagree. But I haven't seen much talk about graphics cards, RAM capacities, or anything else that sounds technologically sound--it's mostly talk about specific games outperforming other games. One console is more powerful than the other, and although I don't know which one is, I would rather spend my time debating which games I thought were better, rather than declaring one console more "powerful" than another. 

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
[QUOTE="BigBen11111"]You wouldn't catch me dead ever touching the XBox, so I prefer the GameCube.YoshiYogurt

I said it before & I'll say it again, I refuse to spend any of my money going towards Bill Gates and his legacy. I don't care how great their games are, when I could be playing Playstation & Nintendo.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 YoshiYogurt
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="BigBen11111"]You wouldn't catch me dead ever touching the XBox, so I prefer the GameCube.BigBen11111

I said it before & I'll say it again, I refuse to spend any of my money going towards Bill Gates and his legacy. I don't care how great their games are, when I could be playing Playstation & Nintendo.

I bash the xbox consoles when ever I get a chance but, not even I'm that close minded. I'm actually going to defend them right now and say they have plenty of games worth playing, most playable on the 360(which I use.) Pretty dumb to miss out on them because you hate Bill Gates(Who is a pretty cool guy who donates tons). He doesn't even run Microsoft anymore so..... I bet you also use a mac (Which are just fine too, but still)
Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="BigBen11111"]You wouldn't catch me dead ever touching the XBox, so I prefer the GameCube.BigBen11111

This doesn't even make sense, what drugs are yoU on currently?
Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kaszilla
[QUOTE="BigBen11111"]You wouldn't catch me dead ever touching the XBox, so I prefer the GameCube.YoshiYogurt

Huh?? Didnt you say the xbox has the worst library of any console?
Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kaszilla

[QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

Jag85

The GameCube's PowerPC CPU was faster than the Xbox's Pentium III. It's not the clock rate that matters, but how many instructions it could process with each clock cycle. The PowerPC was superior to the Pentium III in that regard, hence why the Xbox 360 abandoned the Pentium III and went with a PowerPC architecture like the GameCube. In addition, the GameCube's 1T-SRAM was also faster than the Xbox's SDRAM. When it came to speed, the GameCube was the faster console, with practical polygon fill rates pushing up to 15 million polygons per second in game, while the Xbox was barely able to push beyond 10 million polygons per second in game. The Xbox's main advantages over the GameCube lied in its more advanced 3D graphical capabilities, particularly the use of programmable pixel shaders, and of course the PC-like architecture which made it easier to develop games for.

What about gpu? The xgpu was based on the geforce 3 and it was actually better than it. How does the flipper compare to it? Other than lack of programmable shaders wasnt it a good bit weaker in other areas as well?
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 YoshiYogurt
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="BigBen11111"]You wouldn't catch me dead ever touching the XBox, so I prefer the GameCube.Kaszilla

There are still good games on it. Every other console just has MORE good games.
Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kaszilla
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="Kaszilla"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] Why not? There are some good games for it.

The GC and n64 dont
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Gamecube was the most powerful but once people decide something they stick with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

Kaszilla

What about gpu? The xgpu was based on the geforce 3 and it was actually better than it. How does the flipper compare to it? Other than lack of programmable shaders wasnt it a good bit weaker in other areas as well?

No, actually gamecube games had way more polygon's and detail.  Xbox games had much lower polygon counts and detail with those advanced shaders slathered over things.  It was unbalanced, Microsoft just threw the biggest and most power hungry components in the Xbox that was available for PC (which is exactly why people think Xbox was the most powerful, big and power hungry = powerful), Gamecube was a perfectly balanced gaming machine.  It's different with PC components nowadays, (Ps4) but back then it paid to make a fully customised gaming console.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 YoshiYogurt

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="Kaszilla"] Huh?? Didnt you say the xbox has the worst library of any console?Kaszilla

The GC and n64 dont

HA! The xbox doesn't come close to either of those...

Let's just agree to disagree...

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kaszilla

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] There are still good games on it. Every other console just has MORE good games.YoshiYogurt

The GC and n64 dont

HA! The xbox doesn't come close to either of those...

Let's just agree to disagree...

The xbox has twice as many games as either console. The n64 is actually nintendo's worst console imo.