Was anybody able to enjoy Dragon Age Origins after playing Baldurs gate II?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 anab0lic
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

Im only a few hours in... but the game just feels like a worse version of baldurs gate in every way...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#2 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i still enjoyed it, i have played the heck out of that game
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
It doesn't even compare to its contemporaries in the genre like The Witcher games. Comparing it to Baldur's Gate I or II is like comparing Sonic '06 to Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

BioWare has always been awful at constructing their own rule set. BG2 was great because they translated the rules from D&D really well, and the result was deep, tactical gameplay. But every time they try to create their RPG mechanics from scratch you end up with easy, unbalanced garbage. Games like ToR and DA illustrate this particularly well. I enjoyed DA well enough, but then, I didn't have much of a choice seeing as western RPGs are few and far between these days.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#5 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
It was very poor in every way compared to BG2 and other games like it. And the animations in the game during combat were worse than KOTOR.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Yes, but that's because there was a seven year gap between the two. I don't know why the hell Bioware didn't use the D&D ruleset, or pathfinder, and just give the game updated graphics and some proper real-time gameplay, within the ruleset.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19568 Posts
They certainly made a huge mistake in calling it a spiritual successor to Baldurs Gate 2, when it had none of the depth, charm, fun, or good design decisions of that game.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i never played BGII, but i did play BG and preferred dragon age. each game has its ups a downs, but i had more issues with BG. there were weird short term balancing quirks like how it was advantageous to make wizards use slingshots instead of staves. worse for me was how bioware used the D&D license and basically assumed i knew everything about the forgotten realms. i'm sure some of it was just weak writing like how the first time i would hear anything about nearly any given boss would be right as i fight and defeat them. still, more of it felt like bioware was leaning on the license without going into detail (or adding detail if it was lacking).

like there is an early quest about troubles in an iron mine where the player can piece together what happened through item drops as they go along. i wish there was more of that going on.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I played a sh!t ton of it. It's great.

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts
Real question is: was anybody able to enjoy Dragon Age II after playing Dragon Age I ?
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Real question is: was anybody able to enjoy Dragon Age II after playing Dragon Age I ?lancea34
I was. I think DA2 is in many ways better than DA1
chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts
I think DA2 is in many ways better than DA1Black_Knight_00
It was definitely a lot more watered down than DA1. The story and setting just seemed too shallow.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I think DA2 is in many ways better than DA1chicknfeet
It was definitely a lot more watered down than DA1. The story and setting just seemed too shallow.

The story was fantastic, it was this brilliant escalation of the "mages vs templars" tension, touching on themes such as racism, religious fanaticism and prejudice and was written in a way so that neither side were the "good guys", it was such a refreshing premise after the "go kill the evil demon dragon" of DA1.

That said the environments were too limited and the party members were fairly meh, but the combat was a lot more balanced and didn't throw you into impossible situations like DA1 occasionally did.

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

[QUOTE="chicknfeet"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I think DA2 is in many ways better than DA1Black_Knight_00

The story was fantastic, it was this brilliant escalation of the "mages vs templars" tension, touching on themes such as racism, religious fanaticism and prejudice and was written in a way so that neither side were the "good guys", it was such a refreshing premise after the "go kill the evil demon dragon" of DA1.

That said the environments were too limited and the party members were fairly meh, but the combat was a lot more balanced and didn't throw you into impossible situations like DA1 occasionally did.

There are some things that were better in DAII, but all together it wasn't nearly as good as the first one.

On topic. Baldurs Gate 2 was about the best western rpg ever created. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy a great games like DAO though.

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts

Black_Knight_00
Which impossible situations are you referring to?
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19568 Posts

Real question is: was anybody able to enjoy Dragon Age II after playing Dragon Age I ?lancea34

I haven't gotten around to playing Dragon Age 2, but I refuse to believe that it could be any less enjoyable than Dragon Age Origins. The last two-thirds of that game was like pulling teeth.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

chicknfeet

Which impossible situations are you referring to?

Right before the final chapter you have a moral choice to make concerning Morrigan and if you choose to do the right thing she leaves. Now, I had built my whole party on Morrigan and now my whole battle strategy was screwed up right before having to fight hordes of ogres, five minibosses and the final boss. I had to set it on easy so I could beat it and that's bullshit.

Other examples: battles which are alternately easy or impossible, like the Sloth Demon, or the highwaymen ambush, or the werewolves ambush: play them the exact same way twice and depending on the "dice rolls" the outcome will be drastically different, the wolves may instakill your whole parrty or may wail at you like fools as you cast your spell, for instance. DA2 fixed this, making combat a little more logical and predictable in a good way.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44147 Posts
Absolutely. I loved the game despite it's graphical shortcomings and somewhat awkward controls for the console versions. I also loved DA2 and played the hell out of both games. Needless to say I'm very much looking forward to DA3.