Wall Street Journal Editor hates video games, tells your parents

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 0

#1 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts

Wall Street Journal editor Stephen Moore wrote a piece in today's edition stating that Japan created video games out of vengeance for Hiroshima (yes, this was in the Wall Street Journal), equating video games with drugs or sex responsible for the atrophy of their children's muscles, and dubbing gaming industry representatives as warlords. Of course, Moore also writes for the National Review, take that for what you will. Some choice excerpts follow:

My new year's resolution is to get my two teenage sons back. They've been abducted -- by the cult of Nintendo. I'm convinced that video games are Japan's stealth strategy to turn our kids' brains into silly putty as payback for dropping the big one on Hiroshima.

Back in October we established for the older boys strict screen-time limits. It was then that we discovered the true extent of their addiction. They ranted and raved and cursed and even threw things -- almost as if demons had taken possession of them. These are classic withdrawal symptoms; they craved a fix.

I'm not one to blame every human frailty on some faddish psychiatric disorder. But I'm persuaded that computer games are the new crack cocaine. The testimonials from parents of online gamers are horrific: kids not taking showers, not eating or sleeping, falling behind in school. Some parents are forced to send their kids to therapeutic boarding schools, which charge up to $5,000 a month, to combat the gaming addiction.

Story Link (Subscription Required)

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
it doesn't sound like videogames, sounds like some bad parenting here... :|
appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 appleater
Member since 2002 • 1574 Posts

That's a member of the WSJ editorial board? I don't know what to think.

I'm frankly a little shocked he aired family problems like that. Video games are a false god, agreed. The Wall Street Journal has its own false god though.

Thanks for the article. :)

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Wowsers! I love parents that don't want to take responsibility for their children. Videogames can be very bad for kids if you don't try to moderate how much time they spend doing it. Videogames are this generation's Elvis.
ocphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ocphon
Member since 2006 • 184 Posts

it doesn't sound like videogames, sounds like some bad parenting here... :|chrisrooR

agreed.

gifteddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 gifteddie
Member since 2007 • 567 Posts

by the cult of nintendo wow. Gotta love writers who take themselves so seriously. And also what more importantelections for 2008, iraq, or videogames. Got to find out how these people get their jobs

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Somebody should inform this dip**** that videogames were invented in the U.S.

And the Japanese/revenge angle isn't amusing but rather is in poor taste.

dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
**** i hate ignorant people who think they know what they're talking about
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
lol. how does this guy have a job?
walrusgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#10 walrusgod
Member since 2007 • 337 Posts
There's a reason I don't get the Wall Street Journal, and it's people like this. Sounds more like ultra right-wing propaganda rather than actual journalism. Everyone else on the WSJ should be embarrassed to have this associated with them, but unfortunately some of them might agree.
Solid_Cobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Solid_Cobra
Member since 2006 • 757 Posts
What the hell is he complaining about. The success and addictiveness of videogames is a result ot the free market. But capitalism is good only when it benefits you and your ilk, huh, Mr. Moore.
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#12 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts
it doesn't sound like videogames, sounds like some bad parenting here... :|chrisrooR
I wonder, given the number of stories we read about parents blaming video games, if parents even care to try to be involved in their kids lives anymore.

That's a member of the WSJ editorial board? I don't know what to think.

I'm frankly a little shocked he aired family problems like that. Video games are a false god, agreed. The Wall Street Journal has its own false god though.

Thanks for the article. :)

appleater
No problem, this deserved highlighting. The gaming community needs to be aware of where adults and non-gamers are drawing their conclusions or, rather, having their conclusions drawn for them.
Wowsers! I love parents that don't want to take responsibility for their children. Videogames can be very bad for kids if you don't try to moderate how much time they spend doing it. Videogames are this generation's Elvis.rragnaar
Responsibility? An elitist journalist from the Wall Street Journal taking responsibility for their children? Alright, that was a poor generalization of my own. Speaking with WSJ representatives regularly as part of my job, their writers are as varied as any other field, though the bias of their editorial staff is somewhat alarming.

by the cult of nintendo wow. Gotta love writers who take themselves so seriously. And also what more importantelections for 2008, iraq, or videogames. Got to find out how these people get their jobs

gifteddie
If politicians prioritized the most important issues - the economy, international relations, health care - then we would never hear about trivialities like gaming again. Sadly, some analyst figured it would gain the appeal of lazy suburban parents that lack the time and compassion to raise their own children, and so the politicians took it upon themselves to highlight the issue. I would prefer they focused on building international relations and trade, and lowering taxes by cutting costs and reallocating money to be most effective. But what do I know?

Somebody should inform this dip**** that videogames were invented in the U.S.

And the Japanese/revenge angle isn't amusing but rather is in poor taste.Grammaton-Cleric

The Japanese angle was what really tipped me over the edge, though everything about that Editorial borders on the ludicrous.

**** i hate ignorant people who think they know what they're talking aboutdante_123456
I will give Moore this: he is not ignorant. Moore is actually a bright economist. Why the Journal would give him reign to discuss family issues, however, I will not understand.
lol. how does this guy have a job? OneWingedAngeI
See above comment, this article was outside his specialty.
There's a reason I don't get the Wall Street Journal, and it's people like this. Sounds more like ultra right-wing propaganda rather than actual journalism. Everyone else on the WSJ should be embarrassed to have this associated with them, but unfortunately some of them might agree. walrusgod
I would not discount the WSJ because of a few poor articles or even its slanted reporting. It is one of the most well-read papers in the world and certainly the most respected financial daily. The Wall Street Journal has tremendous weight in both political and financial circles, and it is important to be aware of its direction. I completely agree with your conclusions, but remember that it is important not to dismiss a source of reporting just because it is biased or even shoddy if it wields a high readership. Dangerous indeed.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
It's that stupid rock and roll music! It destroyed the brains of all them stupid adults!
ratchet3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ratchet3
Member since 2004 • 7883 Posts

My new year's resolution is to get my two teenage sons back. They've been abducted -- by the cult of Nintendo. I'm convinced that video games are Japan's stealth strategy to turn our kids' brains into silly putty as payback for dropping the big one on Hiroshima.

Back in October we established for the older boys strict screen-time limits. It was then that we discovered the true extent of their addiction. They ranted and raved and cursed and even threw things -- almost as if demons had taken possession of them. These are classic withdrawal symptoms; they craved a fix.

Bozanimal
LMAO!! wow what can I say about this other than it's the stupidest things I've heard all year.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Is he just a guest editor or something like that? And the tone struck me as a little facetious anyway.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#16 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
Wow
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#17 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
i like how he use his news year resolution to explain why video games are bad
ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 ShenlongBo
Member since 2004 • 3800 Posts

I haven't read many of the responses here yet, but let me say one thing. If you're on your high-horse saying something about "parents taking responsibility [blah blah blah]," but aren't a parent yourself, then just stop talking right now. You're actually right that parents should take responsibility for how they raise their kids, but you don't have any right to say it. Don't.

This article and its author are jokes. Revenge for Hiroshima... even as a stupid joke, it's not worth crediting.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I haven't read many of the responses here yet, but let me say one thing. If you're on your high-horse saying something about "parents taking responsibility [blah blah blah]," but aren't a parent yourself, then just stop talking right now. You're actually right that parents should take responsibility for how they raise their kids, but you don't have any right to say it. Don't.

This article and its author are jokes. Revenge for Hiroshima... even as a stupid joke, it's not worth crediting.

ShenlongBo

You must be joking. Good and bad parenting are nothing more than common sense. Back when I was a childless student working with troubled kids, the mistakes parents made (including but not limited to giving whatever was on tv or the radio responsibility for raising their kids) were as apparent to me then as they are now that I have my own kids. It would be nice if parenthood conveyed some sort of special wisdom, but it doesn't.

donny666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 donny666
Member since 2007 • 422 Posts

ShenlongBo

Since when don't people have a right to stick up for what they think is socially and ethically right?

If someone were to approach me and say "I think gaming (the main focus in my day to day for the most part, and what I plan on making a living with someday) is ruining my children and society" which is pretty much what this "piece" is saying then I and anyone else who games has a right to say "No, it isn't an artistic medium but rather your inability to raise your children".

At the end of the day it is in fact the fault of the parent end of story. Saying such doesn't put anyone, parent or not, on a high horse.

You might as well find a mod to lock this thread and go burn a book or something.