Virtual Console Releases for 01/14/08.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts
WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO NEW CLAS-SIC GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Jan. 14, 2008

This week you can spend your time carefully planning puzzle strategies or rescuing a damsel in distress. Help one of the most iconic characters in all of video gamedom eat some troublesome ghosts or set off to defeat an evil organization using only your furious fists. The choice is yours. What are you in the mood for?

Nintendo adds new games to the WiiTM Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii PointsTM to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Pac-Attack(Super NES®, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Pac-Man makes a rare appearance outside of a maze environment in Pac-Attack, a fun and quirky puzzle game. This unique entry in the genre puts its own twist on established conventions and adds one of gaming's most iconic characters to the mix. The goal is simple: Keep your screen clear of falling blocks and ghosts by lining up blocks horizontally, causing them to disappear. Clearing the ghosts, though, requires the help of a hungry Pac-Man (who just happens to swing by every so often for a snack). It's up to you to get all of the ghosts lined up for him, because Pac-Man will keep eating them until he is stopped by a block or he runs out of ghosts. In addition, his range of movement on the playing field is limited to horizontal or downward-thus adding further strategy. There are three game modes to choose from: 1 Player Normal, 2 Player VS., and the challenging 1 Player Puzzle. Feel like gobbling up some ghosts?

Riot Zone (TurboGrafx16 CD-ROM, 1 player, Rated E 10+ for Everyone 10 and Older - Tobacco Reference, Violence, 800 Wii Points): Riot Zone is a side-scrolling fighting game that follows two heroes as they fight to take down an evil organization. The crime syndicate Dragon Zone has kidnapped Hawk's girlfriend and it's up to him and his partner detective, Tony, to get her back. Join them as they jump "fists first" into the grim Kowloon district. Play as Hawk or Tony and fight through all five stages in the deadly Kowloon district. Smash down the Dragon Zone goons in areas like the Harbor, Abandoned Warehouse and the Ghetto. Both characters have unique skills and attacks. Hawk is a master of karate, while Tony is a hard-hitter. That being said, both guys are massive and possess killer techniques. The hard-boiled action is enhanced by the game's realistic sound effects.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Phantom_Leo
Don't be fooled by Riot Zone. It only resembles Streets of Rage in its graphics!
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

Wow what an awful week. . . is something good getting released this week? Besides NitroBike I mean.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Phantom_Leo

Wow what an awful week. . . is something good getting released this week? Besides NitroBike I mean.

Robio_basic

Not that I am aware of.

I think Nintendo has started to realize they need to slow down a bit to spread out the VC Releases over the next 4 years or so...

I'm fine with that! I have a back catalouge of games that will last me into next year anyway!

Anyone who says there aren't enough good games out already, REALLY needs to stop being damn spoiled and picky and start playing some cIassic games!

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts
It seems they slowed down on quantity as well. They've been releasing 2 games for the past 3 weeks, if I'm not mistaken.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Never seen Riot Zone before, shame theres no demos in VC.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
I wouldn't bother with Riot Zone. It's your average brawler. Played it years ago. It doesn't do anything that Streets of Rage hasn't done better. So how come we're getting two games per week now?
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

I wouldn't bother with Riot Zone. It's your average brawler. Played it years ago. It doesn't do anything that Streets of Rage hasn't done better.King9999

Well, yeah, I guessed as much, but the same could be said about Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, if you get my drift.

Spirit_of_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Spirit_of_87
Member since 2003 • 2423 Posts

Robio_basic

Nano Stray 2 (DS)

Heavenly Guardian A.K.A. Pocky and Rocky: (PS2)

Both games are being released on Jan 15th.:wink:

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I love my brawlers so Riot Zone will likley be a buy someday. Why are we only getting two games per week now? There are sooo many games available for them to release at least bring us back up to three games o_0
EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
[QUOTE="Robio_basic"]

Phantom_Leo

Not that I am aware of.

I think Nintendo has started to realize they need to slow down a bit to spread out the VC Releases over the next 4 years or so...

I'm fine with that! I have a back catalouge of games that will last me into next year anyway!

Anyone who says there aren't enough good games out already, REALLY needs to stop being damn spoiled and picky and start playing some cIassic games!

But I already have all the good clas-sics. It just ticks me off when they add useless garbage like Donkey Kong Jr Math or something.
I'm don't like how we're only getting two games a week now.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#12 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts

Don't be fooled by Riot Zone. It only resembles Streets of Rage in its graphics!Phantom_Leo

:o You can read my mind! Sorcery, I say! Sorcery :P!

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
[QUOTE="Robio_basic"]

Spirit_of_87

Nano Stray 2 (DS)

Heavenly Guardian A.K.A. Pocky and Rocky: (PS2)

Both games are being released on Jan 15th.:wink:

I meant in reference to the Wii. Usually when the Wii has a big game coming out for it, Nintendo will put out a weak VC release for that week so that people can save their money for the new game. This line-up didn't impress me so I was thinking maybe something big was in the pipe.

EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts

[QUOTE="Phantom_Leo"]Don't be fooled by Riot Zone. It only resembles Streets of Rage in its graphics!Video_Game_King

:o You can read my mind! Sorcery, I say! Sorcery :P!

:) I was thinking Streets of Rage when I saw the picture. I mean that's basically the main character in SoR.
ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts
Dang, what's the holdup on Harvest Moon? It better come next week.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

Not a terribly exciting week. Haven't played either of those games. I guess Riot Zone looks ok but that's simply because I really like the side-scrolling beat 'em ups.

I also find it kind of strange that they have been on this two games a week stretch now considering the humongous number of games that are available on all the currently supported systems on the VC along with the possibility of getting even more systems supported in the future.

Rockingtime75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rockingtime75
Member since 2006 • 805 Posts

The one game I really want for the VC is Majora's Mask. But I fear I may be waiting a long time.

These games don't look too bad, I may look into them.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
*sigh* When will we get Mario rpg or Chrono Trigger?