LunaticPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LunaticPenguin
Member since 2012 • 30 Posts

I am planning on buying collector's editions of promising games as a sort of investment (keeping them sealed). My question is do all LE's and CE's increase in value if kept sealed? The editions I am talking about are ones that offer a physical item, for example, Assassin's Creed 2: Black Edition which has an Ezio figurine. These now go for around $400 (they were originally priced about $100).

What do you think? Do all LEs increase in price?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Depends on the gamss

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

Are you sure that's how much it's going for and not how much people are TRYING to sell them for?

I'd say it's only the niche games that will be worth anything.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts
@LunaticPenguin said:

I am planning on buying collector's editions of promising games as a sort of investment (keeping them sealed). My question is do all LE's and CE's increase in value if kept sealed? The editions I am talking about are ones that offer a physical item, for example, Assassin's Creed 2: Black Edition which has an Ezio figurine. These now go for around $400 (they were originally priced about $100).

man the states really put up the ac2 black edition for 400?

you can find it in eu for 70 euro unboxed.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@LunaticPenguin said:

It depends on a few things like the game and the availability of the Collectors edition and the extra you get in the CE.

But in the end its all about supply&Demand.

LunaticPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LunaticPenguin

@Jacanuk: there's a survival edition for fallout 3 which is going for 350 usd . How do you find out how many copies of a CE were produced? I want to get the the AC syndicate Big Ben edition, it seems like something that might grow in value.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

For starters you gotta have an idea of how many collector´s/special editions are going to be available, most of them are produced in large numbers so as an "investment" they don´t provide enough revenue to make the investment worth it for keeping it sealed. One of the few cases for example are the TLoU editions specially the Post Pandemic Edition or the Batman Arkhman Knight Batmobile edition ( high collectors value are those really hard to get, specially the GameStop editions ) or The Halo MCC collector´s edition, those are selling for insane prices right now, the rest not really worth a lot.

bearnewman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 bearnewman
Member since 2007 • 2033 Posts

In general you have collect games for the pure joy of collecting. 95% lose value, opened or unopened. It's like collecting baseball cards, when the market is flooded, they are just another piece of cardboard. raugutcon has the right of it.

LunaticPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LunaticPenguin

@raugutcon: What do you reckon about the Assassins Creed Syndicate Big Ben Edition?

http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/en_AU/pd/ThemeID.8605700/productID.317807000/Assassins-Creed-Syndicate-Big-Ben-Collectors-Case

When they claim there are only "Limited Quantities", I am unsure if that is BS. Although this does seem like a rare version of the game as it is only available from uPlay.

LunaticPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LunaticPenguin

@bearnewman: I do enjoy playing games. When I was younger, I used to buy some of these collector's editions and wasted a lot of money. I opened them and damaged everything inside. But after reading some articles, I realised that if these were kept sealed they must have increased in value. Some of them anyway.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@LunaticPenguin said:

@Jacanuk: there's a survival edition for fallout 3 which is going for 350 usd . How do you find out how many copies of a CE were produced? I want to get the the AC syndicate Big Ben edition, it seems like something that might grow in value.

Ya, Fallout 3 is a great game and not many got the CE back in the day.

As to how many was made, you can usually figure it out by calling/emailing the developer or look it up on google. But usually its not a lot.

As to AC Big Ben Ed. hmm thats a hard one, Ubisoft messed up with unity and their goodwill is pretty much gone. But if you can afford it then go for it.

LunaticPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LunaticPenguin

@Jacanuk: Since Unity was garbage, I am hoping not a lot of people get the Big Ben Edition. But at the same time, I hope Syndicate turns out to be a great game so that demand for this would rise eventually. It's kind of like dealing with shares, but tougher. Think I might go for it, if it effs up I can give it to my brother as its his favourite series.