Video games: human's salvation or doom?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by alim298 (1212 posts) -

In my opinion video games are like nuclear science. They are so powerful and useful that with them come great risks but should we just censor violence and by doing so actually censor video games just not to take risks?

What do you think?

#2 Posted by c_rakestraw (14606 posts) -

That video games are no more harmful than any other entertainment medium. Movies tend to be violent too; should we censor those as well?

I don't understand how this is even a question.

#3 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

Neither. They're entertainment. Like film, they can be an art form if done right, but that's about as far as it goes.

#4 Posted by guynamedbilly (12959 posts) -
Yea, must be one of those two.
#5 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

Salvation or doom? Comparing it to nuclear science?

LOL I think you're overestimating video games. They're only entertainment, just like literature, movies, and TV. And why censor only video games and not movies, tv, and books? Seems a little unfair to me. Cenorship would discourage developers from taking meaningful risks in their narrative and content. Meaningful. Not putting in controversial content like extreme violence or explicit sexual content for no reason, or just for the sake of trying to be "mature" and "edgy."

#6 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70697 posts) -
come again? Videogames are no more harmful than TV, magazines, movies, comic books, etc. They aren't harmful, nor has any study shown it. You can't blame someone that isn't right in the head and shouldn't be playing them in the first place and shove the blame on videogames
#7 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6248 posts) -

Neither.

They're just a passtime.

#8 Posted by alim298 (1212 posts) -

Salvation or doom? Comparing it to nuclear science?

LOL I think you're overestimating video games. They're only entertainment, just like literature, movies, and TV. And why censor only video games and not movies, tv, and books? Seems a little unfair to me. Cenorship would discourage developers from taking meaningful risks in their narrative and content. Meaningful. Not putting in controversial content like extreme violence or explicit sexual content for no reason, or just for the sake of trying to be "mature" and "edgy."

Lucky_Krystal

Yes, I know it's kind of stupid

#9 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Both.

Video games should be subject to the same censorship rules as other media i guess.

#10 Posted by funsohng (27614 posts) -
I.... uh..... the hell is this. I mean.... like.... what?
#11 Posted by alim298 (1212 posts) -

Actually it is either me talking in a very formal language or it is you guys taking my words very seriously. all I mean to ask is that whether you agree with people trying to exaggerate video games influence and blame every single disaster on them or not...

#12 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

That video games are no more harmful than any other entertainment medium. Movies tend to be violent too; should we censor those as well?

I don't understand how this is even a question.

c_rake

One could argue that in video games the player is the one controlling the violence. As opposed to movies, where you just passively experience it.

#13 Posted by AcidThunder (2332 posts) -

dude asking this on a gaming forum is pointless
we all are gamers here who hate those ignorant people who blame everything on this beloved medium of entertainment

#14 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

"Video games: human's salvation or doom?"

I've never heard about a game called Human's Salvation, though, sounds pretty interesting. On the Other Hand, Doom is pretty famous and a relativley good and classical FPS, one of the first ever in case.

Anyways, shouldn't you ask this in the Game Recommendation Thread? Or Which Game Should I Buy?

#15 Posted by JamesJoule (162 posts) -

i dont know about how badly games full of violence affect gamers .. but the one thing i know that it waste time .. lots of time .. maybe affecting you socially .. culturally and physically

yet again this is not video games fault

#16 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18289 posts) -
video games are like nuclear sciencealim298
Videogames don't leave leukemia-inducing waste that lasts a thousand years and can't be safely disposed of
#17 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

[QUOTE="alim298"]video games are like nuclear scienceBlack_Knight_00
Videogames don't leave leukemia-inducing waste that lasts a thousand years and can't be safely disposed of

Some games do.

#18 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="alim298"]video games are like nuclear scienceIlovegames1992

Some games do.

Stay away from that crater please......an exemplar of Superman 64 has been sighted deep, deeeeeeep down below.....

#19 Posted by alim298 (1212 posts) -

we all are gamers here who hate those ignorant people who blame everything on this beloved medium of entertainment

AcidThunder

Well you know not all the people around me are gamers so when I discussed this matter with them they were all like " Violence in video games is definitely the reason for all this " so I just wanted to hear it from some people who actually play games and know what they are talking about.

#20 Posted by AcidThunder (2332 posts) -

[QUOTE="AcidThunder"]

alim298

Well you know not all the people around me are gamers so when I discussed this matter with them they were all like " Violence in video games is definitely the reason for all this " so I just wanted to hear it from some people who actually play games and know what they are talking about.

thats what i am saying that no one here would be against video games
almost all of the people here enjoy violent games so if they really blame these killings on violent games then they would just be hypocrites

#21 Posted by Ish_basic (3999 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="alim298"]video games are like nuclear scienceIlovegames1992

Some games do.

pretty much every copy of ET is buried in a landfill somewhere. True story.

anyway, i thought this thread was gonna about the effects of an evolving gaming medium on technological progress. I remember hearing Will Wright talk about this and the possibility of an advanced civilization that basically didn't grow outwardly to the stars, but rather focused on enhancing virtual realities to the point where said civilization just stays home. There's a great sci-fi book written in 1954, the Joy Makers, that suggests a similar fate for us, depicting a future in which the cities of earth are empty because everyone has isolated themselves in these sort of embryonic chambers, jacked into a central computer that feeds them the virtual recreation of their own fantasies. Good ol mid-20th century sci-fi.