Video Game Story Of The Year

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Video Game Story Of The Year (20 votes)

Beyond: Two Souls 15%
Bioshock Infinite 75%

I swore I'd never do these types of threads, but Its a slow weekend and I'm bored.

Anyway the GOTY Award is all nice and everything but I'm more interested in which game will get an award for its story. Naturally I filtered out any game that That uses the conventional cutscene method to deliver its story because clearly they don't believe in the Interactive Storytelling potential this Medium has to offer, Which is a real Shame because The Last Of Us really had me going in the prologue but afterwards it was typical "story by movie leeching" for pretty much the entire game, right up until they end, they tried to give the player a role in the narrative but it was too little too late.

Anyway if I left out any games that do have interactive narratives please list them, they matter !

• 
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1  Edited By SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

The Last of Us by far. A story doesn't have to be interactive to be good.

I thought the narrative in Beyond: Two Souls to be too disjointed and random, your decisions lack permanence and lead to very little consequence for the actions taken by the player. That said I liked it, but not enough to say it's the best of this year.

To answer your question: The Wolf Among Us is pretty awesome

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#2 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Why is Beyond on this list? I thought this thread was for video games, not movies. :P

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19568 Posts

Of the games that I've played this year, I'd say the competition is between:

• The Wolf Among Us (well, the only released episode has been excellent)
  • The Stanley Parable
  • Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

I'd also like to throw a slight shout-out to Killer is Dead. On its surface, the story isn't much, but I have a nagging feeling that I'm only seeing the jumbled pieces of a very interesting puzzle.

And bugger Bioshock Infinite being on that list - the game had one maybe-good idea, but the writers failed to think it through properly, and shoddily slapped together some carboard characters and a throwaway setting to act it out.

*edit*

Oh, well if you're just talking about interactive narratives, then The Stanley Parable wins and I can't imagine how anything else could be close to it. That crazy beast has, like, 16 different narratives, and half of them seem to be interactive narratives about interactive narratives.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

The Last of Us

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I would agree with the The last of us. But Metro Last light deservers a mention.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ SirWander

I never said it wasn't good, it was just irrelevant to the "gaming" experience, And lets be honest, the Uncharted games were average in every department except how hell they could tell stories in cutscenes, put its story up against the medium in which it leeched the narrative from and then lets see if its as good as everybody makes it out to be.

As For Beyond, its not Heavy Rain or The Walking Dead or Mass Effect, its exactly like the Prologue in TLOU. It wasn't about decisions and consequinces, it was about giving the player something to do in a linear story. There doesn't have to be choices for a story to be told interactively. Both directions have their advantages and dissadvantages.

And I'm looking foward to TWAU ! Lol

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu

@ speedfreak48t5p

Name one single game that has more interactive plot points in its narrative, name just one.

Anyway you are right, its not a game, its definately not a movie either. besides, who would want Beyond to be in category that people still think are glorified childrens toys

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SirWander

Than mayhaps you should change the title to include "interactive drama." True enough, you did not make that implication. But my decision still stands, linear narratives don't offer any interactivity to the story but they offer wonderful context.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

My pick would have to be The Last of Us.

It doesn't have a great *story* per se but has great storytelling and extremely well written characters, which can work wonders even with such a simple plot. It's the quintessential example of why you don't need to "ambush" the audience with twists and turns around every corner in order for the game to make an impression. The human drama is more effective than any narrative or cinematic artifice.

Bioshock Infinite fails in terms of narrative, not because of the plot iself, which I guess can appeal to fans of that sort of sci-fi, but for the fact that the only interesting parts are the first and the last 30 minutes, which are separated by 12 to 15 hours of narrative void and constant, mind-numbingly repetitive gory violence which doesn't just disrupt the pacing, but also completely undermines the motivations of the characters. An overrated script if I've ever seen one.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Planeforger said:

Of the games that I've played this year, I'd say the competition is between:

• The Wolf Among Us (well, the only released episode has been excellent)
  • The Stanley Parable
  • Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

I'd also like to throw a slight shout-out to Killer is Dead. On its surface, the story isn't much, but I have a nagging feeling that I'm only seeing the jumbled pieces of a very interesting puzzle.

And bugger Bioshock Infinite being on that list - the game had one maybe-good idea, but the writers failed to think it through properly, and shoddily slapped together some carboard characters and a throwaway setting to act it out.

*edit*

Oh, well if you're just talking about interactive narratives, then The Stanley Parable wins and I can't imagine how anything else could be close to it. That crazy beast has, like, 16 different narratives, and half of them seem to be interactive narratives about interactive narratives.

Why the Stanley Parable? its an awesome satirical outlook on videogame making, but a great story, not really that is it...

But its hard to pick a really good story because they are all made for a game and therefore fall prey to that it must be interactive, even Beyond´s story isn't really that good, same with Tlou.

So if i had to pick one i would say GTA IV or Remember Me for its down to earth appeal, but even those two are narrow shortstories.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu

@ SirWander

I said Video Game Stories, thats distinctive enough.

And Beyond and TLOU are both Linear Narratives. Except TLOU's narrative is not interactive.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SirWander

The story in The Last of Us is a video game story.

I wouldn't say that Beyond: Two Souls is linear, but I suppose those were a poor choice of words for the point I was trying to make. At least you understood the distinction I was trying to make.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ Black_Knight_00

Sounds about right. But narratively Quality isn't exactly what I had in Mind, because lets be honest, TLOU's story wouldve been worse if they didn't use cutscenes.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

@ SirWander

The Last Of Us is a Movie Story in a Video Game, its not the samething. The Samething with Max Payne 1 and 2, its a Graphic Novel Story in a Video Game.

Regardless of how good it is or how well it sets up the gameplay, especially with TLOU since they were on the right track with the Prologue and then abandoned the Idea like a bunch of cowards, seriousl lack of faith.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ hrt_rulz01

Read the OP

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Black_Knight_00

Sounds about right. But narratively Quality isn't exactly what I had in Mind, because lets be honest, TLOU's story wouldve been worse if they didn't use cutscenes.

I don't see the problem. Cutscenes are an integral part of that game's storytelling.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu

@ Black_Knight_00

Cutscenes were made into an integral part of that games storytelling. Its not surprising people like it that way, movies/books have been around so long we wouldn't recognize interactive narratives if they violated us in a dark alley. But You're right, its like me framing you for a crime and telling you need a lawyer, which is right, and total crap. TLOU may not make much sense without its cutscenes but with them its nothing more than a band aid to a serious inconsistancy.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Black_Knight_00

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Black_Knight_00

Cutscenes were made into an integral part of that games storytelling. Its not surprising people like it that way, movies/books have been around so long we wouldn't recognize interactive narratives if they violated us in a dark alley. But You're right, its like me framing you for a crime and telling you need a lawyer, which is right, and total crap. TLOU may not make much sense without its cutscenes but with them its nothing more than a band aid to a serious inconsistancy.

If by "interactive narrative" you mean something like Half-Life 2's, I'll gladly take cutscenes over it any day. It's much less intrusive to just sit and watch a well directed cutscene than hang around a sealed room watching characters do their thing from a bad angle until they're done and the door opens allowing you to proceed.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulu_Lulu

@ Black_Knight_00

Rome wasn't built in a day Mr. Knight, you know that. Infact theres literally not a single game thats gotten it right, not even close.

I'm not asking you to like it or get use to it or adopt it. Just asking you give it space to allow it learn.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

From those options, i have to go with Bioshock Infinite (not interested in Beyond Two Souls at all) and even that, i don't think that Infinite's story was that good, it had a lot of things going on, like the civil war or the background story from the characters...so it has a lot of context and while the ending was great and all, the overall story is just ok.

IMO The Last of Us was much better in that regard, you get to know this characters at one point and through their hourney they share things, learn things and they ended up in a completely different place while Infinite's character development is just your typical video game fanfare.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulu_Lulu

@ madsnakehhh

One must debate Relevance before they can determine quality. Or else I'l just say Da Vinci Code's story is better than both, TLOU and Bioshock Infinite. Its true is it not ?

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I have to go with The Last Of Us, not even up for debate.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lulu_Lulu

@ contracts420

another one who skipped the OP. I wonder if you you do the same with Reviews.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By contracts420

@Lulu_Lulu:

No, just don't take your posts seriously so I often skip them.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Planeforger

@Jacanuk: I mentioned The Stanley Parable not because the 'story' was great, but the writing and storytelling (and voice acting, and pacing, etc.) was top notch. It's a simple tale told extremely well. Plus it did a wonderful job of probing the nature of choices and player agency in videogames.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ contracts420

And yet here you are in my Thread. Mr. I don't care. LOL. :D

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 contracts420

@Lulu_Lulu:

I still participate in this community and this thread is an open discussion amongst forum members. Whether you created the topic or not is irrelevant to me.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu

@ contracts420

Ofcourse not. You go wherever you want sticking your fingers in your ears while chanting: "My oppinion can't be challenged". Its a great strategy......... If you're 8. :p

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@contracts420 said:

I have to go with The Last Of Us, not even up for debate.

I'm trying to remember on what film TLoU is based on. Keeps slipping my mind.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulu_Lulu

@ MirkoS77

Wasn't the idea from a documentary about ants ?

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 contracts420

@MirkoS77:

I remember Bruce Straley and Neil Druckman bringing up a number of inspirations ranging from novels such as The Road and City Of Thieves to film and television with No Country For Old Men and a BBC Documentary based on Cordyceps.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 contracts420

@Lulu_Lulu:

I could easily argue that TLOU offers as much character growth and storytelling through gameplay as Bioshock Infinite. If anything, Naughty Dog used cutscenes sparingly when compared to Uncharted. Much of the world is filled with story whether it be through notes found or character interaction during gameplay or even through the environment itself, "They did not suffer" is a great example of this. If you've played the game you should understand what segment I am referring to.

The reason I typically skip your posts is that you seem to have a very condescending approach to these forums. Some say to never argue with an idiot, I say never argue with an elitist. Which is why I don't bother.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Haven't played Beyond two souls, so I wouldn't have a clue about that game. However Bioshock Infinite had a great story no doubt. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also was it just me, or did Crysis 3 surprisingly have a good story?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#35 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@mesomorphin said:

Haven't played Beyond two souls, so I wouldn't have a clue about that game. However Bioshock Infinite had a great story no doubt. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also was it just me, or did Crysis 3 surprisingly have a good story?

Crysis 3? did it even have a story?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu

@ contracts420

If you could such an argument, you would have already. I only played the game once so you may have to refresh my memory. And isn't it alil passive aggressive for you to be hostile towards me, I didn't call you out specifically, I didn't force you to engage with me, that was all you. You and your "not debatable" oppinion, I may be an ass but atleast I try to argue my oppinions.

shaggyaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shaggyaz
Member since 2004 • 2279 Posts

The Last Of Us and Bioshock Infinite

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lulu_Lulu

@ shaggyaz

Another one. You guys must all know eachother. Lol :p

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Planeforger

@Lulu_Lulu: To be fair, you did ask for the videogame 'story' of the year, so their responses are entirely valid to your thread's title.

If you wanted to make a thread about the best examples of interactivity in storytelling in 2013, perhaps you should have named the thread something else, or created a different thread to discuss those nominees?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lulu_Lulu

@ Planeforger

Thats what the OP was for.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

This should clear up any miss understandings (sorry about the link: cant format)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_storytelling

As defined by Stephen Dinehart, Interactive Narrative Design combines ludology, narratology and game design to form interactive entertainment development methodologies. Interactive

entertainment experiences allow the player to

witness data as navigable, participatory, and dramatic in real-time:[19] “a narratological craft which focuses on the structuralist, or literary semiotic creation of stories." Interactive Narrative design seeks to accomplish this via viewer/user/ player (VUP) navigated dataspaces.[20] Interactive Narrative Design focuses on creating

meaningful participatory story experiences with

interactive systems. The aim is to transport the

player through play into the videogame

(dataspace) using their visual and auditory senses. [21] When interactive narrative design is successful, the VUP (viewer/user/player) believes that they are experiencing a story

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 contracts420

@Lulu_Lulu:

Much of the character interaction and depth is fulfilled during gameplay while the player moves about the world. You can find notes and other such goodies giving depth to the world and its character throughout the experience. What about the story of Ish which is created entirely through exploration on the players part to find all the pieces.

How about the sequence where you search for Ellie with Tommy on horseback, or the great interaction between Ellie and Joel on the campus or where you pilot Joel after a possibly fatal fall while Ellie defends the player. How about the section where you fight off infected alongside a stranger Ellie does not trust but is forced to interact with given the circumstances. How about Ellie' boss battle with David, seems like a fairly interactive way to bring closure to that sequence, how about the scene where Ellie finds the portrait of a deer. or even the giraffe sequence. Let's not forget the obvious opening and ending.

I'd say there are many greater moments that bring depth to these characters and highlight their struggles through gameplay. You can find many sections where you can trigger context sensitive conversations with Ellie as well during gameplay. You can find plenty of story through the environment itself, building the world and its history. The cutscenes are used in very specific moments that would leave no room for player interaction outside of QTE prompts or just simply rotating the camera.

You seem to believe there is no acceptable middle ground, you often engage others on this forum with a sort of "I know what I'm talking about and you don't" mentality. You call Naughty Dog "cowards" and you always switch your stance the moment you have your argument thrown out the window. I swear you make up this crap as you go. Rarely do I ever find that you concede points and you always have a smart ass remark to drop at every turn. I have no reason to debate you and even lesser reason to acknowledge you in this community.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lulu_Lulu

@ contracts420

TLOU's gameplay is just brief encounters with enemies followed by long walks and scavenging pitsops followed by a cutscene, rinse and Repeat. The highlights were the Prologue, Being Ellie (which was a butload of fun) and the conclusion with the surgeon. All the siet seeing and pixel hunting was pretty underwhelming, just background information that adds little to the plot, same with Bioshock Infinite's voxaphones and Tomb Raiders journals and diaries, also just because you find them during gameplay doesn't make them interactive. As for those encounters with David or whatever that douchebag's name is, we killed A few clickers and then killed him, thats pretty much the only interactivity the player can add to the story, The rest of his arch was handled through cutscenes, I . Oh right Ellie steals the horse, funny you should mention that, that couldve been another potential hilight of the game but........ Well kotaku explains it better than I could

: kotaku.com/are-we-ready-for-shorter-video-game-experiences-1456549811

You're right about the cutscenes not having the necesary elements for player interaction. Infact it seems like all they did was talk. They had to switch to cutscene mode to tell me about some boring history about Tommy or Sarah or Ellies Mom. Oh and then theres that section with Sam and his brother (forgot his name), interactively they were just a pair of Extra hands, just a sub for Ellie and Tess.

There is no middle ground, The Last Of Us kept switching between passive story and active gameplay, you can't make something Passively Active or vice versa. They are polar opposites and don't mix together, as evident by TLOU's execution of using a different method in for the Narrative.

I research and study my oppinions (because I got two weeks off), you're gona rag on me for taking time to find research of what I'm talking about then thats okay I guess, I never switched my position, I clarified it because clearly theres been some misunderstanding of what I'm talking about. You are the one with the argumentitive issues, You do remember what your 1st post was right. If you don't wana debate then don't, especially if your best experience with interactive narratives consists of pixel hunting and Context sensitive dialoge whos only purpose is to stop the game from being such a drag. Although That doesn't disqualify it from being a nominee, but its relevance to interactive storytelling is minor and incidental, so naturally if it wins, it won't have anything to do with its story.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

Bioshock infinite

but hey i'm surprised why last of us isn't part of that :/

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lulu_Lulu

@ kingcrimson24

Story was way too Passive (as it usually is in many video games). Great plot, but wrong narrative to deliver it in, So I left it out.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

you missed last of us, hence your poll is bad. Don't give a damn that you think custscenes are bad, had the best story, period.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

TLOU FTW!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lulu_Lulu

@ Krelian-co

Never said they were bad, infact I admitted TLOU was a better off for using cutscenes. I left it out because it doesn't fit the criteria.

The Internet is a large place, I'm sure theres enough room in it for you to create your own poll with the last of us in it. Go nutz on that new topic button, I promise I won't tell the mods: :D

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

TLOU had a better story than Bioshock Infinite.

Yeah, Infinite's story was amazing for the first week. But TLOU's story just has more longevity.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lulu_Lulu

@ drekula2

Ofcourse it does, its easier to create a damn good story if you stick with the conventional narrative by non-interactive cutscenes. Its why I didn't include it, they felt it was more important to play it safe than to take advantage of the mediums untapped potential.