Video Game Music and you

#1 Posted by AGeekyLink (55 posts) -

Have you ever had a soundtrack of a video game that created a powerful emotion in you (sadness, joy, excitement, etc) ? The kind of soundtrack that 10, 20 or 30 years later will have the same effect on you ?

For me it would be the soundtrack of Final Fantasy VI. It all started with this game's music. But of course there are many others (or FF, metroid games, zelda, castlevania, bayonetta, etc).

What about you ?

#2 Edited by mastermetal777 (554 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess has a beautiful soundtrack. I have too many memories with that game, and I remember all of the music tracks to this day. And also Shadow of the Colossus.

#3 Posted by AGeekyLink (55 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess has a beautiful soundtrack. I have too many memories with that game, and I remember all of the music tracks to this day. And also Shadow of the Colossus.

Twilight Princess has indeed a very good soundtrack.

I like those three :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iryO0ksUeSc&list=PLEF76B0AD30F72468&index=5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74W5WYFGlmQ&list=PLEF76B0AD30F72468&index=6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbjZ1QY9MsQ&list=PLEF76B0AD30F72468&index=8

very calm and peaceful.

#4 Posted by Jeager_Titan (944 posts) -

Hah. Same pick for me. Also frogs theme from chrono trigger, elizabeth's theme from bioshock infinite and many more.

#5 Edited by Jacanuk (3675 posts) -

@ageekylink said:

Have you ever had a soundtrack of a video game that created a powerful emotion in you (sadness, joy, excitement, etc) ? The kind of soundtrack that 10, 20 or 30 years later will have the same effect on you ?

For me it would be the soundtrack of Final Fantasy VI. It all started with this game's music. But of course there are many others (or FF, metroid games, zelda, castlevania, bayonetta, etc).

What about you ?

I have a ton of soundtracks and i also backed https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1916334303/video-games-live-level-3-game-composers-of-the-wor

And my favorite is probably the Final Fantasy, Civilization and the above album.

#6 Edited by SovietsUnited (1775 posts) -

World of Warcraft; even though I quit playing long ago, the memory of the experience remains intact thanks to the absolutely amazing variety of memorable soundtracks.

Legends of Azeroth

Ulduar Interior Titan Music 2

The Shaping of the World

Karazhan

A Call to Arms

Ulduar Antechamber

Invincible

Mountains of Thunder

Grizzly Hills

Temple of Ahn'Qiraj Interior

Stormwind

Mountains (Night)

Trial of the Crusader 2

Naxxramas Military Quarter (original 2005 Diablo 3 music)

Forest (Elwynn Forest)

The Black Temple

Seasons of War

and those only concern my playtime, I have no doubt Cataclysm, Pandaria had and now WoD will have its own standout tracks.

The only other soundtrack to come close on the strength of its music for me is Castlevania

As for single songs, I have a whole video on them

#7 Posted by Minishdriveby (10001 posts) -

Hotline Miami.... I listen to the soundtrack almost every time I use my iPod. Rayman Origins and Botanicula also have really good soundtracks.

#8 Edited by JamesJoule (154 posts) -

mass effect , call of duty mw2 and dragon age origins stand out

#9 Edited by AGeekyLink (55 posts) -
#10 Posted by geniobastardo (917 posts) -

The main menu song of Stronghold Crusader(I'm still playing this game, even after 10 years).

#11 Edited by Behardy24 (2340 posts) -

The song below always make me feel like I'm going on a adventure

#12 Posted by c_rakestraw (14549 posts) -

Journey's soundtrack always manages to move me, particularly when I listen to the whole soundtrack in order. Has almost the same impact of playing the game, the music perfectly channeling each and every segment of the game. Memories of my first time playing it always come floating back whenever I listen to the game's soundtrack.

Most recently, listening to the ending theme of Transistor after finishing the game turned me into a blubbering mess. Haven't lost my composure while listening to it since, but something about that song really got to me. Can't remember the last time any track of music had such a profound effect on me. Most they usually elicit is feelings of nostalgia, maybe some slight adjustments in mood depending on the general tone of the track, but never anything that powerful.

#13 Edited by elkoldo (909 posts) -

You could hear this after booting up the game , on the game's icon in XMB.It always delivered an inarticulate sadness to me ; I could never shake off the feeling that the poor old man was going to lose another daughter.

#14 Edited by alim298 (1022 posts) -
#15 Posted by Archangel3371 (15155 posts) -

Chrono Cross had an amazing soundtrack. People Imprisoned by Destiny struck me as a very sad tune back when I first played the game and it still does to this day.

#16 Posted by geniobastardo (917 posts) -

@alim298 said:

Sadness: Waterfalls of Agharta - The last battle -> Lords of Shadow I don't want to set the world on fire - Maybe -> Fallout 3

Excitement: Snake eater -> Metal gear solid 3 Ninja Gaiden Act2-2 -> Ninja Gaiden 2 At hell's gate -> Doom

Pure epicness: Bloody tears -> Castlevania Belmont's theme -> Lords of Shadow One who craves souls -> demon's souls

Joy: Monkey Island theme -> Monkey Island Megaman 3 title theme -> Megaman 3

Belmont's theme was EPIC dude, I never heard that before in the game.

#18 Edited by Renegade_Fury (16950 posts) -

Sure, plenty of games have done that for me like NiGHTS, Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, Thunder Force, Mega Man, and so on. The Sonic games, however, have by far the most memorable soundtracks, be it from 20+ years ago or from now. Using modern examples:

If I want to hear something somber, I can listen to stuff like this:

or if I want to listen to something upbeat, there's always fun music like this:

When it comes to music, Sonic soundtracks will always stick with me.

#19 Edited by AGeekyLink (55 posts) -

Do not forget about castlevania !

#20 Edited by GeoffZak (3700 posts) -

Has anyone listened Starbound's soundtrack? It's pretty incredible

Also Tales of Legendia has a pretty amazing soundtrack. I say it all the time, but the game flew under the radar and no one knows about its incredible music. I think the game deserves an award for its soundtrack.

#21 Posted by AGeekyLink (55 posts) -

@GeoffZak: very cool soundtrack.

These kind of games always have amazing tracks.

#22 Posted by Mercuria1_King (269 posts) -

I have never been a big fan of the soundtrack from a game.

#23 Posted by zeroyaoi (1826 posts) -

Majora's mask had an amazing ost(most zelda games do). Could never get the observatory song out of my head. :P

#24 Posted by RyuRanVII (4212 posts) -

The opera soundtrack from Heroes of Might and Magic II never ceases to amaze me.

#25 Posted by thehig1 (847 posts) -

Mass effect 2...The suicide mission soundtrack.

Final fantasy vii - various tracks

Chrono cross - another world music

Lost odyssey- battle theme

There's probably more

#26 Posted by marcyza (6 posts) -

Morrowind and its soundtrack is still one of the best ambience I've seen in games, maybe it was my state of mind then, but hell, yeah, think I'll have that feeling with me till the day i die, walking out on the rain with bow 'n' arrow in my hand, aiming and shooting the hunger in the mouth and stuff. Yeah, that was a great game.

#27 Posted by mastermetal777 (554 posts) -

@mercuria1_king: Why not, if I may ask? Music enhances and puts the mood to any given situation, both in film and in video games - maybe more so in the latter, IMO.

#28 Posted by lumzi32 (326 posts) -

I love final fantasy vi soundtrack. I also love much of Kotor's sound. Bastila Shan used to given me chills.

#29 Posted by Shmiity (4965 posts) -

I post the same response on all of these threads:

The Quest 64 OST is still one of the best soundtracks ever, no matter what you think of the game itself.

Also, obligatory: Ocarina of Time has one of the best ones, as well.

#30 Posted by Mercuria1_King (269 posts) -

@mercuria1_king: Why not, if I may ask? Music enhances and puts the mood to any given situation, both in film and in video games - maybe more so in the latter, IMO.

I do not know how to really put it into words. I basically liked the music while gaming but I would not want to listen to it on it's own.

#31 Edited by AGeekyLink (55 posts) -

@Shmiity said:

I post the same response on all of these threads:

The Quest 64 OST is still one of the best soundtracks ever, no matter what you think of the game itself.

Also, obligatory: Ocarina of Time has one of the best ones, as well.

I think my favorite track for OOT would be the gerudo valley (if i had to pick one and only one). How about you ?

#32 Posted by Shmiity (4965 posts) -

@ageekylink: Probably Kakariko Village. Gerudo Valley is great, too.