Veteran RPGer needs help!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

burningrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 burningrand
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

So I'm trying to find a new RPG that isn't a classic (because I've probably played it) but has not fallen into the devil's trap that is streamlining.

I'm anxious about DAI - I am praying every day to Lathander to make DAI as awesome as they say it will be and that I will be able to customize, side-quest and spend 100s of hours on it.

Pillars of Eternity is in beta but they have pretty much shat on their promise of making it a spiritual predecessor of Baldur's gate - limited abilities, no out of combat depth (pickpocketing, lockpicking etc), no incentive to side-quest... Also praying to Lathander that the absence of these things are just due to early beta.

Anything else people know about coming up? Feel free to list them/give reasons. Maybe there's something in the waters that I don't know about.

What I'm looking for: Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's gate, Icewind Dale, all elder scrolls (as far as customization and side quests go), original Mass Effect (minus the bugs), Fallout, Arcanum, even DAO as far as choice/dialogue goes etc etc... You know what I mean. Tonnes of side-quest incentive, depth of customization, intense story-line (except for Skyrim!). Desperate for recommendations!

I hope I don't sound snobby, just tired of streamlining. Really want someone to break the formula.

Avatar image for SilverBlade1805
SilverBlade1805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 SilverBlade1805
Member since 2012 • 69 Posts

I highly recommend Kingdoms of Amalur and Dragon's Dogma.Fantastic and heavily underrated games.Some of the best of 2012 IMO KoA Had a great variety of weapons,fantastic combat and gameplay,a decent story,I enjoyed the Fate System and Twist of Fate Cards etc. Dragon's Dogma is also great,the story was good,the gameplay was good,very medieval setting,good boss fights,I liked its class system too,the pawns were a nice addition that made you playing alone just a fraction less lonely.I really enjoyed both of these fantastic games.So yeah get them.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

I highly recommend Age of Decadence.

The game isn't entirely finished yet (you can play most of it, but they're still working on the last city and much of the late-game content), but what has been released on Early Access is an extremely replayable, deep and challenging RPG.

It plays almost identically to Fallout (AoD is a turn-based post apocalyptic roleplaying game...albeit one set after the fall of the Roman Empire) - but the catch is that you're just a regular person with a very limited skillset, so death is easy and failing quests is an ever-present threat. It's great fun training up your character, mastering skills to open up new quest solutions, betraying quest-givers if you like, and carving out a name for yourself against pretty huge odds.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Pillars might not end up being the completely deserving successor to the IE games, but I'm sure it'll be better than any Dragon Age game, that's for sure.

And here.....

Recently released/upcoming cRPGs- http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-second-list-of-incline-new-poll.91705/

All time list - http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

(look at the list as a whole and don't get hung up about individual rankings, as it was not a curated top 70 list)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I love Streamlining !

Cut out the Fat ! :)

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#6 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Have you played The Witcher 2 yet? That's a fantastic RPG, in my opinion.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Divinity: Original Sin seems like it'd be perfect for you.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#8 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Yeah, I second Divinity: Original Sin

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I'm assuming you've played Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2, otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question, so.....

Try any of the Spiderweb Software games: Avernum, Avadon, Geneforge, etc...

burningrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 burningrand
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts
@Lulu_Lulu said:

I love Streamlining !

Cut out the Fat ! :)

It works for some things i.e. I wasn't as offended by the stramlining in Mass Effect. But for games that pride themselves on being spiritual successors to games like Neverwinter Nights/Baldurs gate it's terrible to see such radical simplification.

Also great suggestions above! Have played a few of them but actually haven't gotten around to Divinity - will also check out some of those other ones on the 'can't wait for' poll.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu

@burningrand

In my experience Spiritual Predecessors are usually deeply flawed, Everything from President Evil to System Shock, if those games were actually good they would have sequels, not Spiritual Successors.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: System Shock 2 has a spiritual successor. It's called BioShock, and it was fantastic. And apparently, The Evil Within is getting rave reviews as a good revival of the survival horror genre. Games don't always need sequels, just so you know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Well, I would likely pick the following (if you have not playied them).

Divinity: Original Sin

Wasteland 2

Vampire teh masquerade: Bloodlines (were not on the list so the horror of you possibly passing this one by is err... horrible?)

The Witcher 1 (not able to customize sadly, but has fairly good depth despite that.)

upcomming: The witcher 3

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Good games need sequels.... Just so you know...

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@burningrand

In my experience Spiritual Predecessors are usually deeply flawed, Everything from President Evil to System Shock, if those games were actually good they would have sequels, not Spiritual Successors.

That's oversimplifying things. Many great games don't get sequels because of low sales (critical acclaim doesn't always lead to financial success), rights issues (developers tend to go out of business over the years), or simply being distracted by other projects.

For example, System Shock 2 is easily the best 'Shock' game, Bioshock included. It didn't receive a sequel because Irrational didn't have the rights to make one.

You're also assuming that Spiritual Predecessors don't get sequels, but that isn't always true. For example, X-Com: Enemy Unknown is a brilliant game with some great spiritual sequels (like Xenonauts). It had a whole bunch of sequels that weren't as good, and the series eventually collapsed after mediocre yearly releases. Nobody wants a spiritual sequel to the later games, but people definitely want spiritual successors to the older games.

Same thing with Thief. Thief 2 is the spiritual predecessor to Dishonered, and is a vastly superior game. It got one sequel, which was not particularly amazing, and another more recent reboot, which was relatively crap.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

@Planeforger

Basicly what you're saying is anything can happen ?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: no they don't. Many games are standalone titles that have a complete enough experience to not warrant a sequel. Those usually happen cuz of financial pressure and/or intention to make one.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Complete for you perhaps.... other people always want more.... Especially those of us who like gameplay..... I can see how frustrating it would be for some one who plays games for the story.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: that implies I hate sequels, which I don't. And story, as I've said before, isn't the only reason I play games. It's second to gameplay in my book, if not equally as important if a game chooses to have one. I love how you assume things without evidence. I like more with my games. It's not always necessary though.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Actually I was implying you hate gameplay... And considering your definitions on just about everything revolve around what you like and dislike I stand firmly behind my assumptions. You may like your version of "gameplay", but when it comes to actual gameplay its never that simple with you.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: that definition applies to anyone really. I don't hate gameplay. I just know what I prefer. I love all types of games if they're entertaining to me, and that's it. You just can't get over that people like different things than you, and that gameplay is whatever you want it to be

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

I can.... Its the made up definitions that bother me.

FYI I like story in games too, only if it makes use of the medium....

Tell me it wouldn't bother you if people refered to "Mexican" as a language. you know what... It probably wouldn't... You would be a hypocrit if it did.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: I wouldn't be bothered cuz I'm not Mexican. And everyone tries to come up with definitions of what gameplay is, yourself included. If anything, you're the hypocrite for saying that.