Use walkthoughs or not?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rampagerolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rampagerolph
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I find if you use a walkthrough for a very openended game (I'm thinking zelda: TP) it takes much of the fun and feeling a accomplishment out of it... but then again how fun is it to be super frusterated and have no clue what to do next? So it raises the question... Do you use walkthroughs or not?
romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts
No I don't as a rule, but I would if the game is not mineor I don't care about it that much.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Yes before i start throwing the controller.
Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

If I play the game a second time (or more), if I am unable to progress and would quit the game and if I play only part of the game and just bypass other aspects of the game.

Those are the 3 big reasons as to why I would use a walkthrought, pretty much in that order. I am more likely to quit a game then use a walkthrought, so the fact I use 1 should be considered an honor, as it means I enjoy the game enough to paliete to a weakness in it and do something boring (check for a walkthrought) in order to appreciate the game more.

If I use a walkthrought twice a year, this is exceptionnal.

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

It really depends on the game, what else I'm doing, etc. Same goes for cheats with me.

I game to see new things, to uncover a story, etc. Challenge and the like is not my 1st priority. If I have the time and desire then I don't use any of those things, but at a time of year like this when there are so many new games asking for my attention you will find me resorting to those things a little sooner than I would otherwise. Like I said, my goal is not the sense of accomplishment in beating a game, it is experiencingthe environment, story, etc.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Only when things get to frustrating. Before I get to upset, I turn to either walkthroughs or cheats. I had to do that with a few games, but it saves me the trouble of being pissed at a game for no reason but frustration.
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts
I usually use walktroughs if i decide to replay the game.
shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts
I use walkthroughs at the end of the game. I mainly search for faq maps for collectible items.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

No, using a guide tends to turn a game like STALKER into being about "completion" and "finding powerful items" instead of being about enjoying the gaming experience. Guides are nice if you get stuck in the same area for a while, but if you're doing a game like Twilight Princess, are you really getting "stuck", or are you not truly exploring the game?

-

That said, I dislike things in a game that essentially *require* a walkthrough - for a sidequest, fine, but for the main game, if there's some so obscure, unintuitive, and needlessly complex that no one could reasonably figure it out on their own, that must be done to progress, then the game design has broken down.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts
I generally use them when I get stuck. Though a famous exception to that was Morrowind. I started off had no idea what I was doing so I read a walk through that got me started and I never looked back and had one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.
Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts
Only when I've beat the game or are stuck. My most recent example of getting stuck would be entering the ghost ship in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. How was I supposed to know I needed another map to enter?
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
I very rarely use walkthroughs on games these days,but I have every once in a while.