Upgrade PC vs PS4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade my PC or buy a PS4. Turning out to be quite a hard decision. Currently, my PC can play SC2 and Dota 2 just fine which are the games I play basically 100% of the time. But at the same time, I love strategy games and Planetary Annhilation and Rome 2 does interest me and I would like to try them. At the same time, console games like GTA V are great and don't seem to show up on PC so I'm at loss of what to do. The PC I want to upgrade to is:

Intel i5-4670k

8 GB DDR3 RAM (have this already)

GTX 760

Would this PC be a better choice than a PS4?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

The PC actually has games

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@argetlam00 said:

I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade my PC or buy a PS4. Turning out to be quite a hard decision. Currently, my PC can play SC2 and Dota 2 just fine which are the games I play basically 100% of the time. But at the same time, I love strategy games and Planetary Annhilation and Rome 2 does interest me and I would like to try them. At the same time, console games like GTA V are great and don't seem to show up on PC so I'm at loss of what to do. The PC I want to upgrade to is:

Intel i5-4670k

8 GB DDR3 RAM (have this already)

GTX 760

Would this PC be a better choice than a PS4?

Yes, that pc would be a better choice because you can probably save up twice again for a ps4 before there are enough games out there to warrant a purchase :) unless you're hungry for new console hardware.

phatkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 phatkav
Member since 2005 • 1357 Posts

PS4 will have superior great games by Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, and Guerrilla Games that your shiny new PC won't have. So get a PS4 and support Sony.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

Alright guys I think I'm going to go with PC. I enjoyed being part of the PC gaming community and my consoles have been mostly collecting dust over the last few years so I think PC would be a better investment. Worse case scenario I get bored of video games I can find another use for this PC.

DavidSchmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#6 DavidSchmidt
Member since 2013 • 50 Posts

Yeah its a good decision. While I will be getting both consoles as well as having a gaming computer, to play the exclusives. I would personally just stick with PC for a year or two, then buy a PS4 once the price drops and the games library becomes more abundant.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

PS4 gonna be a kickass maybe next year becouse now there isn't any good exclusive u know sth like Uncharted to lure u into ...

But i'd still go with PS4 !

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

What are your current specs? because my old hardware is still holding up haven't seen any huge reason to upgrade just yet.

At the moment im just buying nothing nothing i really care about is on the PS4 yet and I have no reason to upgrade

I know eventually i'll be purchasing both though.

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zijuun
Member since 2013 • 95 Posts

Playstaion 4 man. It's easier to maintain your games on and you'll get the really good games first. Plus you don't have to keep dumping your money on the PC. And I'm guessing most of your friends will have a PS4 too!

@phatkav said:

PS4 will have superior great games by Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, and Guerrilla Games that your shiny new PC won't have. So get a PS4 and support Sony.

And pretty much this. ^

Although hardware may be superior on a PC, I'd still suggest a PS4 with a large diverse library of games to choose from. The only thing I see better on a PC is keyboard-and-mouse for FPS which isn't bad.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

There's literally no reason to buy the PS4 at the moment. It has no games and odds have it you might get one of the problematic consoles - you're better off waiting a year or two and getting it at a lower price and most likely improved over its initial release version.

That, and PC gaming is just better. @zijuun you're kidding, right? What's the 'diverse' library the PS4 has? At best, it has an impressive 'potential' library - which we won't see come to fruition for another two or three years. TC, trust me: without backwards compatibility, you're going to be stuck with launch shovelware and the one or two quality exclusives they drop on a yearly basis. Absolutely no reason to get a PS4 at the moment, -if- you're between choosing that and a PC.

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

Right now, I'd stick to PC. The PS4 would be a fine choice in a year or two when there are lots more games out. PC always has games to play.

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zijuun

@iHarlequin said:

There's literally no reason to buy the PS4 at the moment. It has no games and odds have it you might get one of the problematic consoles - you're better off waiting a year or two and getting it at a lower price and most likely improved over its initial release version.

That, and PC gaming is just better. @zijuun you're kidding, right? What's the 'diverse' library the PS4 has? At best, it has an impressive 'potential' library - which we won't see come to fruition for another two or three years. TC, trust me: without backwards compatibility, you're going to be stuck with launch shovelware and the one or two quality exclusives they drop on a yearly basis. Absolutely no reason to get a PS4 at the moment, -if- you're between choosing that and a PC.

There "literally no reason"? Tell me why with it's huge launch line-up you can choose lots of different games including AC, COD, BF, Infamous and etc. I won't deny the awesomeness of PC gaming and the convenience of comfortable controls, beautiful graphics and a good library. But to say that there's literally no reason to get a PS4? Dafuq? Ignorance is bliss.

And if a console does have problems, you don't have to wait years. You can wait some good months and then get it. And the probability you'll get a ****ty PS4 is quite low, and if you do get one, Sony is very flexible.

It's completely subjective of which is better, but if you like PC gaming more, I won't hold that against you. Everyone human is entitled to his or her opinion. But to say that it's pointless to get a PS4 is retarded fanboy logic considering millions of people get it and millions prefer a PS4 over a PC for gaming.

Sony has also promised us Gaikai streaming. It'll take a good year or two to get it up and running perfectly which is fine. We'll have plenty of awesome games to keep us busy by then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

I recommend upgrading your PC and if you still want a PlayStation 4 later on, I recommend getting it when you can. I do not recommend getting a PlayStation 4 now unless there are must have video games you want for the console; as you will end up with not much.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I would personally take a PS4 over upgrading my pc. There just are not enough cool new exclusive games coming to PC. I have a nice gaming pc with a GTX680. I dont feel the need to upgrade it because i rarely play games on it. I have a full Steam account with a bunch of games, but it just does not excite me like my PS4.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jacanuk

@Videodogg said:

I would personally take a PS4 over upgrading my pc. There just are not enough cool new exclusive games coming to PC. I have a nice gaming pc with a GTX680. I dont feel the need to upgrade it because i rarely play games on it. I have a full Steam account with a bunch of games, but it just does not excite me like my PS4.

Hmm, this is a first , i never heard anyone talk about exclusives on pc as a deciding factor in whether or not to buy/upgrade.

Anyways you have a pc so of course right now new is welll new and thats what the ps4 is, but considering the limits on a console compared to pc, graphics, multiplayer ect. for someone who doesnt have a 680 which is a decent card and the rest is in the same "newish" grade, i would recommend a PC any day of the week right now, yes the ps4 is new but there simply isent enough games to keep it fresh, while on a pc you have the games but you also have for some a huge modding community plus the big indie game scene.

So if you're thinking longterm the pc is 100% the choice right now.

DragonSaiya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DragonSaiya
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

buy a ps4 right know, consoles are always best if you buy them at start. The PS4 is also stronger than the specs you have listed

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@dragonsaiya said:

buy a ps4 right know, consoles are always best if you buy them at start. The PS4 is also stronger than the specs you have listed

lol no

Consoles always have issues on release, it's best to wait 6 months.

I'm seeing people list AC4, CoD, and Battlefield as reasons to buy a PS4, when it's the exact opposite.AC4 looks better on PC, and isn't locked to any res or fps. CoD is the same.
BF4 on PS4 has a max of 32 players, while PC has 64 player matches.

Buy a PC, and by the time you've saved enough for a PS4, it'll have dropped in price and have more exclusives.

moix123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 moix123
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

I would go for a pc upgrade. ps4 doesnt have much games yet.

LeftClick007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LeftClick007
Member since 2013 • 77 Posts

Upgrade your PC for now, there's not much on the ps4 right now that you cant play on pc, Just wait and get a Ps4 later. I was asking myself the same question a few weeks back. The main reasons that did it for me were lack of titles and no backwards compatability on the ps4, so Ill just get one later when theres a handful of games i want to play. Im also the kind of person that likes to replay good games, and theres plenty on pc, so I have no problem waiting to get the PS4

iBuSHiDo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 iBuSHiDo
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts

I'm a Sony fanboy and I say upgrade your PC. PS4 won't have enough amazing games you can't get on PC for at least a year, probably longer. By then, some of the great games will be cheaper or Greatest Hits titles, the PS4 will probably get some patches and new features, PSN will have more games and better deals, and by then you'll also most likely hear about other new IP's and other sequels to their exclusives that might be coming. That's when you get a PS4.

For now, upgrade the PC, enjoy all the games you want, enjoy the Steam sales, build up a nice little backlog of games, and then enjoy them all while you wait.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iHarlequin

@zijuun said:

@iHarlequin said:

There "literally no reason"? Tell me why with it's huge launch line-up you can choose lots of different games including AC, COD, BF, Infamous and etc. I won't deny the awesomeness of PC gaming and the convenience of comfortable controls, beautiful graphics and a good library. But to say that there's literally no reason to get a PS4? Dafuq? Ignorance is bliss.

And if a console does have problems, you don't have to wait years. You can wait some good months and then get it. And the probability you'll get a ****ty PS4 is quite low, and if you do get one, Sony is very flexible.

It's completely subjective of which is better, but if you like PC gaming more, I won't hold that against you. Everyone human is entitled to his or her opinion. But to say that it's pointless to get a PS4 is retarded fanboy logic considering millions of people get it and millions prefer a PS4 over a PC for gaming.

Sony has also promised us Gaikai streaming. It'll take a good year or two to get it up and running perfectly which is fine. We'll have plenty of awesome games to keep us busy by then.

Sorry, you're the one being a fanboy. TC asked whether it was, at this point, better to upgrade to the PC he listed or to get a PS4 - you'd have to be blind to think it's better to get a PS4 than that computer. All the titles you said, bar Infamous, are multi-platform games and will look and play better on the PC. Like I said, PS4 is still in the realm of potentiality - a few years from now it may make sense, with multiple exclusives and whatnot. If you're having to weigh your purchase of a PS4 against the purchase of a PC, I will always say that, from an objective standpoint, the PC is better. There's no argument there: if you have to choose one, the PC has more games and plays those that it shares with the consoles better.

At the moment, the PS4 has a game library that consists of a few dozen titles, of which only half a dozen or so are actually exclusive (and none of these exclusives are hardware-sellers like Uncharted or Gears of War, in the sense that no one would buy a console -just- to play Knack). The PC has, literally, several thousand games to play through - and even if you're not into alternative gaming (independent and PC-only, for instance), it still has hundreds of games released in the two past years.

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zijuun

@iHarlequin said:

@zijuun said:

@iHarlequin said:

Sorry, you're the one being a fanboy. TC asked whether it was, at this point, better to upgrade to the PC he listed or to get a PS4 - you'd have to be blind to think it's better to get a PS4 than that computer. All the titles you said, bar Infamous, are multi-platform games and will look and play better on the PC. Like I said, PS4 is still in the realm of potentiality - a few years from now it may make sense, with multiple exclusives and whatnot. If you're having to weigh your purchase of a PS4 against the purchase of a PC, I will always say that, from an objective standpoint, the PC is better. There's no argument there: if you have to choose one, the PC has more games and plays those that it shares with the consoles better.

At the moment, the PS4 has a game library that consists of a few dozen titles, of which only half a dozen or so are actually exclusive (and none of these exclusives are hardware-sellers like Uncharted or Gears of War, in the sense that no one would buy a console -just- to play Knack). The PC has, literally, several thousand games to play through - and even if you're not into alternative gaming (independent and PC-only, for instance), it still has hundreds of games released in the two past years.

Alright, whatever floats your boat.

I find it much more convenient playing games on a PS4 especially when having access to online where you'll have more friends on rather than on a PC. Besides it will almost always run better with it's exclusives. And I don't find it very comfortable to dump money into a PC while on a PS4, once you get it, you're literally set.

I'm not in the mood to argue right now and where our conversation is leading, it's not going to go any where. Agree to disagree we shall, to argue more we shall not.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 iHarlequin

@zijuun said:

@iHarlequin said:

@zijuun said:

@iHarlequin said:

I find it much more convenient playing games on a PS4 especially when having access to online where you'll have more friends on rather than on a PC. Besides it will almost always run better with it's exclusives. And I don't find it very comfortable to dump money into a PC while on a PS4, once you get it, you're literally set.

I'm not in the mood to argue right now and where our conversation is leading, it's not going to go any where. Agree to disagree we shall, to argue more we shall not.

1) Why will you have more friends? That depends entirely on the person and what -his- friends use. I have nearly no friends on either the XOne or PS4, but plenty who play LoL, DotA 2 or PC games in general. Is that going to be the case for everyone? No - and because it isn't, you can't use it as a point when you're trying to convince someone to buy this or that.

2) I still say that between consoles, what defines which one to pick are the exclusives, not the hardware. I agree with you (although your 'it will almost always run better with it's exclusives' statement makes no sense), and I reiterate: at this point, for fans of -any- genre, the PC still has many more games than the PS4. The console just launched, and I personally think that, unless you have money to spend (as in, you're not having to choose between the launch console and a PC, as is TC's case), getting a console at launch is fairly pointless. As I said, if you're already saturated with hardware (you have a PC, last-gen consoles, etc.) and have the money, go for the PS4 - otherwise, it offers little for its price tag (at the moment).

3) Standardized hardware is a good and a bad thing. It's good because, as you said, you'll buy the console and won't have to spend any more to upgrade it. It's bad because you'll buy the console and you won't be able to spend any more to upgrade it. Early on this won't show much, but I guarantee you that two to three years into the generation the settings presets for modern games on the PS4/Xbox One will be the equivalent of the 'low' setting on the PC (same thing that happened to the PS3/Xbox 360 after 2008 - 2009).

TL;DR - the PC has better hardware and a wider array of options, but which is better will boil down to personal software preference. The Wii U is weak, hardware-wise, but has fantastic games that many fans would rather play than any PC game. As such, the PS4 might become an interesting option down the road, when the exclusives actually come out for it. At the moment, however, it simply doesn't have enough software to justify buying it over a PC.

ConorHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By ConorHat
Member since 2013 • 141 Posts

A PC is always a better choice than consoles, better exclusive games too.

StarCraft, Civilization, Warcraft, Dota, League of Legends, Hearthstone, the list goes on and on.

If you can afford a PC then you shouldn't settle for any less.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#25  Edited By Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

It sounds like you prefer PC games to what's available on consoles so that's obviously the way you should go. If you're getting an i5-4670K, you'll also need a new motherboard as the Haswell CPU's aren't compatible with the previous ones.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

PC if you want to upgrade your rig every six months or so to prevent it from becoming obsolete.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#27 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

I would wait for several things: GTA is likely coming to the PC, the PS4 may have some launch issues so I would wait just in case, and your PC can already play your favorite games well.

Once the PS4's library has fleshed-out a bit you can reconsider.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jacanuk

@zijuun said:

@iHarlequin said:

@zijuun said:

@iHarlequin said:

Fun debate you have going on there.

But no matter what you try you can't hide the fact that right now the Playstation 4 have almost no exclusive titles and with games that cost 10$ in retail and no steam sale , its not a good choice if your low on cash and want to buy the thing that can give you the most amount of games and enjoyment.

Also as to the friends online? well thats kinda individual but even if you have no friends i would say its alot easier to find and make friends on the pc than on a console. And actually you're not that set if you get a ps4, since you still need games , hardware your set but just look at the WiiU , content matters more than fun hardware.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

PS4 currently has not enough exclusive titles to justify buying it now, better invest money into new hardware to play the same ps4 games currently available but with better graphics (battlefied,ac4, cod:ghosts, watchdogs..when its finally released hopefully in the beginning of 2014)

buy a ps4 at the end of 2014 when there are probably more ps4 exclusive games available, thats what i do, till then i play all the great games with more and better graphic features on my pc than the ps4 has

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

Playstation and Xbox won't have that much variety of games until some point in the future. So as of now, I would suggest you to upgrade your PC. Unless you really love FIFA.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

if there wouldnt be exclusive console games, i absolutely wouldnt buy any console coz i see no point in playing games on console when the same games look better on pc plus the features you have with customization on certain games.

there actually arent too many exclusive console games which also stayed that way, a whole bunch of former exclusive console games sooner or later found their way onto pc,like "enslaved" or "brutal legend" or "castlevania - lords of shadow" which found their way to pc a few years after their console release, that raises the question which other so console-exclusive praised games will follow...

a shame that certain games like uncharted or god of war never found their way onto the pc....yet...

touchscreenpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 touchscreenpad
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

Unless you're after PS4 exclusives then go for PC.