UPDATES! Does it even pay to buy games on release day ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1 sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

If we play games we sure want to get the best out of it, so i ask myself why should i buy a game on release day when presumably 2 months and 60 patches later it finally works the way it was meant to be or even better...they not only took care of bugs but enhanced graphics and gameplay mechanics as well.

me for my part, i stopped buying games on release day and wait weeks, sometimes even months, depending on what people say about the bugs or the ammount of patches coming out.

the amount of games being too bugged or the amount of patches coming out within the first weeks after release are really way too much at times these days.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19550 Posts

It really depends on what you're buying.

For example, Nintendo games tend to release fully polished and rarely drop in price, so you may as well buy them straight away.

And then there are Kickstarter games, which sometimes get deep discounts for buying them early (like Wasteland 2 for $15, or Divinity Original Sin for $25).

It also depends on things like pre-order bonuses as well. If a game offers previous games in the series as a pre-order freebie, that can be a great incentive to lure new players in.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

Haha, yeah - Fallout New Vegas was unplayable when it first came out and took a while to iron most of the bugs out. That said, it's one of my favorite games of all time...

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sabretooth2066

@Planeforger said:

It really depends on what you're buying.

For example, Nintendo games tend to release fully polished and rarely drop in price, so you may as well buy them straight away.

And then there are Kickstarter games, which sometimes get deep discounts for buying them early (like Wasteland 2 for $15, or Divinity Original Sin for $25).

It also depends on things like pre-order bonuses as well. If a game offers previous games in the series as a pre-order freebie, that can be a great incentive to lure new players in.

kickstarter games, greenlight games, god those are even the worst, dont get me wrong, they can be great games, but why the hell starting and probably finish a game being still in development at 75% or even less, paying for it when its not even clear if they ever going to finish the product.

the biggest problem i have with those is that i dont want to finish a game when i cant get the maximum out of it, coz when i finished the game i want to move on to the next one, i dont have in mind to constantly repeat a whole game with every update or in case of greenlight games...with every step they take in the game´s development

on the other hand in case of FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS its an extreme example of a bugged game, thank god games like this are not the regular case these days, but again in case of SHADOWS OF MORDOR and its later released ULTRA-HD GRAPHIC PACK...thats another thing again, the ultra pack needs a graphic card with friggin 6gb vram, i "only" have 3 and do not have in mind to upgrade my rig/buy a new rig within the next 12 months, so i ask myself....should i play and complete SHADOWS OF MORDOR now the way it is or should i wait until i have a 6gb vram card to enjoy the game to its fullest with ultra hd graphics ?

well for sure i will not complete the game now and again one year later with ultra hd graphics then, there are just too many games out there to repeat one single game over and over again, it may happen that i repeat certain games, but not within just 12 months

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Not really. You pay maximum price for a game that will go down in price over time. I guess it depends on how badly you want to experience the game. I don't really buy full priced games very much. I think I purchased one this year, and two last year.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sabretooth2066

@Shmiity said:

Not really. You pay maximum price for a game that will go down in price over time. I guess it depends on how badly you want to experience the game. I don't really buy full priced games very much. I think I purchased one this year, and two last year.

of course it depends on how badly i want to play a game, in fact i have that feeling with many games coming out these days, but when i look at all those patches/updates they bring out within the first couple of weeks after release, i will just wait a few weeks more then, and if its too bugged or if i notice they make gameplay or graphic upgrades, then i probably wait even longer

WASTELAND 2 for example, they made a friggin graphic upgrade soon after release, so i ask myself how many of those graphic upgrades and gameplay upgrades they gonna make in the next months, that causes me to have that bad feeling if i decide to buy and start the game right now or better wait....and again i think its better just to wait a few weeks, it would be a pain if i work hard to complete the game when i realize i wasted my time on it without all those great updates and patches they released months after release.

well in certain cases they release updates even 3 years after a games release, then it would mean that id never buy a game becaues id have to probably wait forever until they released the final last patch, but i am not talking about small patches/updates mostly released in the last era of a game, i am talkin about updates making bigger differences to gameplay/graphics/bugs, and those are mostly released within the first weeks or months after release