Underrated NES Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JogsterXL (299 posts) -

What do you think are some of the best, but, sadly,underrated and underappreciated, Nintendo Entertainment System games. For me, it's probably The Lone Ranger. That game had a great story, great gameplay, and great music. Part sidescroller, part top down, part first person, it was like 3 games in one. I also notice some modern games are similar, like Red Dead Redemption, and especially Red Dead Revolver. Any other games you like, that you feel were underrated?

#2 Posted by DeafNYCPlayer (2307 posts) -
The Adventure of Bayou Billy, it played with different gameplay- beat-up 'em, driving, and shooting.
#3 Posted by Allicrombie (25359 posts) -

I thought Crystalis was pretty good, despite being labeled a Zelda-clone.

#4 Posted by AvatarMan96 (7324 posts) -

Kid Icarus....it was underrated at one point; that point being before Brawl came out :P

#5 Posted by JogsterXL (299 posts) -
The Adventure of Bayou Billy, it played with different gameplay- beat-up 'em, driving, and shooting.DeafNYCPlayer
Ahh, yes, Bayou Billy! I never beat that game, but I had fun trying. :)
#6 Posted by JogsterXL (299 posts) -

Allicrombie
Hmm, I never played it, but I remember reading about it.

Kid Icarus....it was underrated at one point; that point being before Brawl came out :P

Which reminds me, there is now a new Kid Icarus in the works called Uprising. Also, Rygar. It was extremely tough (IMO) and because of the difficulty, it never quite got the attention it deserved.
#7 Posted by KilleRotom (19 posts) -
I really like a game that's called The magic of Scheherazade. The goal is to pronounce the name right :D ... No way, just kidding! It's an awesome RPG that's a mix of zelda and Final Fantasy. If you find it you should buy it. Great game
#8 Posted by TheSacredFlame (324 posts) -

Journey to Silius is such an underrated NES game.

#9 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

The Battle of Olympus

#10 Posted by DiminixZor (149 posts) -

Willow

#11 Posted by pills4louis (1331 posts) -

Gimmick!
Shatterhand
Recca
Crisis Force
Over Horizon
Journey to Silius
Xexyz
Section Z
Fuzzical Fighter
The Guardian Legend

#12 Posted by kittensRjerks (3802 posts) -

renegades

#13 Posted by YellowOneKinobi (4128 posts) -

The Adventure of Bayou Billy, it played with different gameplay- beat-up 'em, driving, and shooting.DeafNYCPlayer
I loved that game back in the day.

On Topic: Amagon

#14 Posted by pills4louis (1331 posts) -

TheSacredFlame

Ultimate bro.

Best chiptune soundtrack ever, btw.

#15 Posted by JogsterXL (299 posts) -
Wow, those are some good ones, and I agree, most of them were very underrated.
#16 Posted by lordlunch2 (544 posts) -
Alpha Mission was pretty fun, it had a cool armor and weapon select screen and it was pretty addictive. Only problem was that it was unbearably difficult and nobody has really heard of it lol
#17 Posted by TheSacredFlame (324 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheSacredFlame"]

pills4louis

Ultimate bro.

Best chiptune soundtrack ever, btw.

Yes I agree completely.

#18 Posted by Allicrombie (25359 posts) -

The Battle of Olympus

TheKungFool
That was horrid game. Used to piss me off.
#19 Posted by TheRaiderNation (1653 posts) -

Gremlins 2. I thought the game had a great 8 bit soundtrack and the gameplay was fun and challenging.

#20 Posted by tab134 (338 posts) -
Metal Gear. People use to like it until avgn did his review and everyone sucked him off. Yes it was an ugly, buggy, engrish ridden port but the core gameplay holds up and i still find it a fun game to play. Despite the pukelike graphics and unstable framerate(limited to alerts usually) almost every room and item remains the same, so the mg experience holds up. The 'exclusive' opening stage is a complete joke and yes its annoying spawning there, but too those who disowned the game because of this should have played longer, because after the 1st boss you spawn in whatever building your currently working on. the 25char save system is pretty annoying, but theres worse examples on the nes. most of the games original soundtrack remains but some new additions like the entercode screen are earbleeding, when the games laggin the music gets chopped up too. despite all these short comings, it's still one of the best nes games, and had some pretty revolutionary gameplay for its time(as far as home consoles go).
#21 Posted by JogsterXL (299 posts) -
Metal Gear. People use to like it until avgn did his review and everyone sucked him off. Yes it was an ugly, buggy, engrish ridden port but the core gameplay holds up and i still find it a fun game to play. Despite the pukelike graphics and unstable framerate(limited to alerts usually) almost every room and item remains the same, so the mg experience holds up. The 'exclusive' opening stage is a complete joke and yes its annoying spawning there, but too those who disowned the game because of this should have played longer, because after the 1st boss you spawn in whatever building your currently working on. the 25char save system is pretty annoying, but theres worse examples on the nes. most of the games original soundtrack remains but some new additions like the entercode screen are earbleeding, when the games laggin the music gets chopped up too. despite all these short comings, it's still one of the best nes games, and had some pretty revolutionary gameplay for its time(as far as home consoles go).tab134
I have to disagree with you there. I hated the NES version of Metal Gear. As you said, it was a "buggy, engrish ridden port" with "pukelike graphics and unstable framerate." The MSX version is thousands of times better in my opinion.
#22 Posted by pills4louis (1331 posts) -

The MSX version is thousands of times better in my opinion.JogsterXL
Seconding this notion.

#23 Posted by Heirren (18164 posts) -

sdfsfsd

sdfsd

fsdfsdf

fsdfsdf

#24 Posted by tab134 (338 posts) -

[QUOTE="JogsterXL"]The MSX version is thousands of times better in my opinion.pills4louis

Seconding this notion.

yeah but do either of you actually own a msx?. of course it's ten fold better but it didnt came out in america till subsistence. as i've ranted its mainly the same game, and even with bad graphics i still found it fun to play even though i had played the ps2 port first, and no i didnt play the nes one emulated.

(tbh i'm just a big mg nerd)

#25 Posted by JogsterXL (299 posts) -
[QUOTE="tab134"]

[QUOTE="pills4louis"]

The MSX version is thousands of times better in my opinion.JogsterXL
Seconding this notion.

yeah but do either of you actually own a msx?. of course it's ten fold better but it didnt came out in america till subsistence. as i've ranted its mainly the same game, and even with bad graphics i still found it fun to play even though i had played the ps2 port first, and no i didnt play the nes one emulated.

(tbh i'm just a big mg nerd)

To answer your question, no, I do not own an MSX. I'm not saying the NES Metal Gear is horrible, I used to like it, but that's only because it was the only thing I had before Subsistence. After playing the Subsistence version, I don't really care for the NES version anymore. Have you played the sequel titled Snake's Revenge? Back on topic, G.I. Joe and Monster Party were both good games.
#26 Posted by tab134 (338 posts) -
Yeah I played snakes revenge for about a half hour until I ragequit. Didn't seem like the mockery that some make it out to be, but its harder than either mg or mg2. although its a famicon game, mother is a forgotten rpg classic.
#27 Posted by JogsterXL (299 posts) -
although its a famicon game, mother is a forgotten rpg classic.tab134
If I'm not mistaken, I believe there is a NES version titled Earthbound in existence, though it is extremely rare.
#28 Posted by pills4louis (1331 posts) -

[QUOTE="tab134"]although its a famicon game, mother is a forgotten rpg classic.JogsterXL
If I'm not mistaken, I believe there is a NES version titled Earthbound in existence, though it is extremely rare.

You are correct, sir, although it was for SNES. It was called Earthbound instead of Mother 2, since Mother 1 was never released in the US.

#29 Posted by tab134 (338 posts) -
actually, there was a beta of an nes verison of mother(planned to be released as earthbound) that eventually got leaked into rom form(renamed earthbound zero by leakers to avoid confusion with earthbound). it was never released or licensed but exists as a private collectors item(in other words theres probably like 5 carts in existence).
#30 Posted by aryoshi (1728 posts) -
Crystalis The Guardian Legend Tiny Toons Adventures The Magic of Scheherazade Dragon Warrior I-IV (seems to be a forgotten series these days) Clash at Demonhead Little Nemo: The Dream Master StarTropics There's a ton of others I could think of really, it seems a lot of people that play the NES just stick with mainstream games.. But really, there's over 800 titles in America alone! Why not explore? :D
#31 Posted by JogsterXL (299 posts) -
There's a ton of others I could think of really, it seems a lot of people that play the NES just stick with mainstream games.. But really, there's over 800 titles in America alone! Why not explore? :Daryoshi
Yeah, that's why I asked. There are so many good games out there, but the only games most people seem to play are mainstream hits.
actually, there was a beta of an nes verison of mother(planned to be released as earthbound) that eventually got leaked into rom form(renamed earthbound zero by leakers to avoid confusion with earthbound). it was never released or licensed but exists as a private collectors item(in other words theres probably like 5 carts in existence).tab134
Yes, this is the one I was talking about.
#32 Posted by Morphic (4345 posts) -

I'm not quite sure what others thought of it, but Shadowgate was one of my all time favorites. Me and my brother were bonkers with this game. We would always try to figure things out and when we did we'd flip out! Like I suggest burning the rug cause we were stuck and there was a key! It was a little hard for beginniners but the adventure was blast.

#33 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Allicrombie

Crystalis is more than okay, it's a masterpiece. I daresay it's better than Legend of Zelda was. Better graphics, better storyline, more RPG-elements added, and more NPCs to interact with. SNK really had a gem on their hands. It's a shame that they completely turned away from the RPG genre and pretty much focused on fighting games after that.

#34 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Great, overlooked NES games, IMO:

• Adventure Island 3 - Back in the day when it came to pure platformers everyone wanted Mario, Sonic, or Kirby. Adventure Island was right up there with them, but was always in their shadow. And Adventure Island 3 was the best of the bunch, IMO.
  • Batman: The Video Game - This game is HARD. But it's fun. It's very reminiscent of Ninja Gaiden in many ways: Great action-platforming, very challenging, great cutscenes between levels, the oh-so-fun wall-jumping ability, a limited amount of projectile attacks, and a fan-freaking-tastic soundtrack. Probably the only good Batman video game until Batman: Arkham Asylum two decades later, lol.
  • The Battle of Olympus - Great side-scrolling action-RPG that was had open-ended gameplay (well open-ended for the 8-bit era). It was a set in Ancient Greece and had a strong emphasis on Greek Mythology and the Greek Gods. The NES's God of War.
  • Bucky O' Hare - Great action-platforming game that incorporated run-n-gun elements into it. Great graphics, and VERY well designed levels making for some great gameplay. Konami shines again in this game. What I love the most about this game is as you go along in the game, you gain playable allies that each have unique powers.
  • Crystalis - See my above post about this masterpiece.
  • DuckTales 1 & 2 - I'm sure many gamers passed these off as nothing more than silly licensed kids games. Those that did missed out on some of the best 2D platforming EVER CREATED. No joke, I am not exaggerating. The DuckTales games are some of the funnest platformers I've ever played. I'd rank them right after Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3.
  • Monster In My Pocket - Another Konami release that flew under many gamers' radar. An action-platformer where you play as a miniature Frankenstein's Monster or Dracula and fight againt an army of other miniaturized monsters. It's not all that original, but something about the graphics and level-design just make it feel so satisfying when you punch a mummy in the face. Pretty impressive graphics for NES as well.
#35 Posted by aryoshi (1728 posts) -

The Battle of Olympus

Emerald_Warrior

Oh snap, I totally forgot about that one, I even have it in my own collection XD Yes, Battle of Olympus is an amazing game. I'm one of the few that actually loved Zelda II and Battle of Olympus seemed like an enhanced version of it in many ways. Loved that game.

#36 Posted by JogsterXL (299 posts) -
Ahh, yes, how could I forget DuckTales. I used to play that game for hours back in the day, but haven't played it recently. Now that you mention it, I'm going to go play it right now!
#37 Posted by joseph_mach (3612 posts) -

Ya, lots of great games mentioned here, but 2 that I'll never forget and haven't been brought up are Faxanadu, and Blaster Master...ahh...the memories.

#38 Posted by david60639 (6947 posts) -
Thundercade. Mag Max.
#39 Posted by katana_duo (1751 posts) -
Kickle Cubicle Joust Karnov They hardly ever get any mention but I used to play these games to death as a kid.