Underrated Hidden Gems

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by willtsherman (667 posts) -

List some of your favorite games that aren't really heard of. Here's mine:

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy (One of the best 3rd party adventure game in my opinion)

Lord of the Rings The Two Towers and Return of the King 

Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom (I was expecting this to be complete trash. In fact, it was the opposite)

Star Wars Episode III DS (Very short game but extremely addictive)

Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee

#2 Posted by norsecrusader (60 posts) -
lord of the rings conquest (could have been much better but still very underated imo) star wars battlefront 2 pc version jurrassic park on sega genesis im sure theres a ton more but theres a few off the top of my head
#3 Posted by PS4TrumpsXbox1 (1079 posts) -
Terminator on SNES Secret of evermore as well
#4 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27477 posts) -

List some of your favorite games that aren't really heard of. Here's mine:

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy (One of the best 3rd party adventure game in my opinion)

Lord of the Rings The Two Towers and Return of the King 

Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom (I was expecting this to be complete trash. In fact, it was the opposite)

Star Wars Episode III DS (Very short game but extremely addictive)

Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee

willtsherman

YAY! Another Sphinx fan. :D

Although the two LOTR games were very popular on all consoles because of the movies, I do agree that those were awesome too.

#5 Posted by Dudersaper (32950 posts) -
Baroque (PS2) - I get why lots of people wouldn't enjoy it, but for some reason I find it incredibly addicting. Kya Dark Lineage (PS2) - Maybe not underrated but overlooked, a great action platformer, definetly a must play for Jak & Daxter fans. Raw Danger/Disaster Report (PS2) - Two great survival games, fighting against mother nature. Silent Bomber (PS1) - I see so few people talking about this game, but it was pretty unique mechanics and is pretty fun.
#6 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Anyone who lists "Godzilla: Melee" has my attention. Excellent game, in that it (graphically) captures the subject wonderfully, and has great 4-player MP that carries the spirit of the Toho films for all-out monster brawls. So, good on'ya, m'friend!

I would add -

"REEL Fishing" (DC/PS1/PSP/Wii - and now on IOS! - series)

"Call of C'Thulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth" (XB)

"Maken X" (DC)

"Metal Arms: Glitch in the System" (multi-plat)

"Sky Odessey" (PS2)

"Pandemonium!" (PS1)

"Iron Aces" (DC)

"Super Monkeyball I & II" (NGC)

#7 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

Anyone who lists "Godzilla: Melee" has my attention. Excellent game, in that it (graphically) captures the subject wonderfully, and has great 4-player MP that carries the spirit of the Toho films for all-out monster brawls. So, good on'ya, m'friend!

I would add -

"REEL Fishing" (DC/PS1/PSP/Wii - and now on IOS! - series)

"Call of C'Thulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth" (XB)

"Maken X" (DC)

"Metal Arms: Glitch in the System" (multi-plat)

"Sky Odessey" (PS2)

"Pandemonium!" (PS1)

"Iron Aces" (DC)

"Super Monkeyball I & II" (NGC)

MonkeySpot
Did you like Pandemonium 2?
#8 Posted by Dudersaper (32950 posts) -
"Maken X" (DC)MonkeySpot
Definetly this. And I equally reccomend it's PS2 remake, Maken Shao, which has all the awesomeness of the original in third person.
#9 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17345 posts) -

Sparkster, both for the Genesis and SNES. I sometimes see Rocket Knight Adventures get mentioned, but never these two. They're not that cheap, but they're definitely underrated.

I think the Genesis version of Sparkster might be my favorite of the three.

#10 Posted by Hseptic (1566 posts) -
Voodoo Vince for Xbox. Perhaps criminally underrated...
#11 Posted by willtsherman (667 posts) -

I also forgot to add Vexx

#12 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Did you like Pandemonium 2?Jakandsigz

Yes, I did... Though not quite as much as that first one. The first game is platforming perfection, and a psychedelic masterpiece... The second game was good, but lacked a little undefinable "something" which the first game was dripping with... I still own both. Have you played either of them?

#13 Posted by GaussRiemann (183 posts) -

For example

Tempo on the Sega 32X

Silpheed on Sega CD

Maken X on Dreamcast

#14 Posted by starwolf474 (783 posts) -
Zombies Ate My Neighbors One of the greatest games of all time, but very few people know about it.
#15 Posted by Rayrota (1456 posts) -

NASCAR Rumble and N2O: Nitrous Oxide for the PS1

#16 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

NASCAR Rumble and N2O: Nitrous Oxide for the PS1

Rayrota

LOVE that game, still play it...

:D

#17 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -
[QUOTE="starwolf474"]Zombies Ate My Neighbors One of the greatest games of all time, but very few people know about it.

One of the best Snes games. Though I am pretty sure its pretty popular and well known.
#18 Posted by rwallacefan (4886 posts) -
Disaster Report and Raw Danger, simply amazing :)
#19 Posted by Heirren (18095 posts) -
The snes Aladdin is underrated, IMO. It's a great platformer.
#20 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Metal Warriors ... Loved that game and I never saved my copy from when I was young. Its worth like 400 bucks now !

#21 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -
Shadowrun (2007) Majesty 1 (recommend this to all it had a HD remake but it only changed the resolution I believe) Cossacks 1 and it's expansions I have more but I feel like nostalgia may play a part in others but the ones I just listed - I still play and they are great imo.
#22 Posted by Spinnerweb (2940 posts) -
Dead to Rights (PS2) is a game that many people dismissed as a Max Payne clone even though it's very different. It has an excellent story, and very fun gameplay. The graphics are a little dated now but overall it's a brilliant game.
#23 Posted by gameofthering (10397 posts) -

Toy Commander for the Dreamcast.

I hope it gets a HD port so that more people get to experience it. 

#24 Posted by Change_MyShorts (76 posts) -

Nascar Rumble. My friend and I rented that game, we both eventually bought the game because it was so fun.

Star Wars Trilogy: Apprentice of the Force. I picked this up for GBA out of the blue, the game followed the original trilogy very closely and was fun.

Brave Fencer Musashi. Hidden gem...plain and simple.

Notable mention

Star Wars Obi Wan. I had a blast playing this game and have beat the game a half dozen times.

#25 Posted by DeafNYCPlayer (2307 posts) -
Alley Cat Trap Gunner
#26 Posted by voljin1987 (743 posts) -

1. sheep, dog and wolf (PC)

2. kya dark lineage (PS2)

#27 Posted by TrickRider (9 posts) -

Baroque (PS2) - I get why lots of people wouldn't enjoy it, but for some reason I find it incredibly addicting. Kya Dark Lineage (PS2) - Maybe not underrated but overlooked, a great action platformer, definetly a must play for Jak & Daxter fans. Raw Danger/Disaster Report (PS2) - Two great survival games, fighting against mother nature. Silent Bomber (PS1) - I see so few people talking about this game, but it was pretty unique mechanics and is pretty fun.Dudersaper

I have the Wii version, but definitely agree that Baroque is great.

I think most Neo Geo Pocket Color games have been neglected because of the system they're on. I especially like Puzzle Link and Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure.

#28 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

Warpath Jurassic Park (PSX)

Gex 2: Deep Cover Gecko (PSX)

Agent Hugo (PS2)

#29 Posted by GaussRiemann (183 posts) -

Silpheed on the Sega CD.

#30 Posted by GaussRiemann (183 posts) -

Shinobi for the PS2. I don't know why this game was disliked so much.

#31 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

Hot Wheels: Velocity X-  Gamecube - I don't know about anyone else, but this is probably one of the best car combat games I've ever played and it's still fun to play today

Porsche Challenge for PS1...

Super Strike Gunner for SNES. Definitely one of my favourite shoot em ups and favourite games ever

Total Carnage  for SNES

Worlds Scariest Police Chases for PS1

#32 Posted by Collie_Lover (135 posts) -

Parasite Eve-PS

Culdcept-PS2

Maximo-PS2

RC Revenge Pro-PS2

Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild-PS2

Wipeout Fusion-PS2