Uncharted won't run at 60 FPS if it affect player experience

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Link

This is interesting, so they might not go the route of 60 fps. But nothing is certain though

thoughts?

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Having the game run at 60fps will affect the player experience but only in a positive matter imo making the controls much more responsive and everything will look smoother in motion running at 60fps vs 30fps yeah some graphical effects may have to be sacrificed but the PS4 has enough power that it won't look like crap or anything even if they aim for 60fps.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#3 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

If The Last of Us Remastered is any indication, 60 fps will be a great thing. Especially for an action-heavy series like Uncharted.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: I read the article but I'm not clear on what they mean by that. I guess part of it is if they can't maintain a constant 60FPS they will cap it as lower but the article is confusing.

-Byshop

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mastermetal777

@Byshop: they basically mean that if players don't like the Uncharted series being in 60 FPS during playtests, then they'll keep it at 30 like always.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#6 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I've never been bothered with frame rates as long as it's stable or continuously runs above 30 FPS. So, as usual, I'm not too concerned about what this game will be running at. I'm more interested in the gameplay mechanics, story, and so forth.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#7 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

It's gonna be 30fps. Druckmann (director) pretty much confirmed it

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Basically there saying the PS4 isn't powerful enough to run the game at 60fps, so the frame rate is the first thing they will compromise to get the game to run on the hardware.

Cutting frame rate to 30fps wont affect game trailers and marketing near release, but cutting graphical detail would

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

They mean Viewer's Experience.... a player would prefer the silky smooth frame rate over the lighting affects of the sweat on Nate's forehead which you can only see during cutscenes.....

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Meh. Would 60fps help? Sure. Was 30fps the take-home complaint from the previous Uncharteds? No. I'd rather see improvements (which it seems like there are) in other areas. Wouldn't say no to 60, but 30fps wasn't the weak link in Uncharted IMO and they are perfectly playable at that framerate

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#11 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I don't care if it's 30 or 60, since I'm not an FPS whore, but I'm getting a little tired of people saying "60 frames ruins the experience!" Like what they said with The Order, I think? "30 is more cinematic!" Ugh... Just say you're struggling with the system's hardware...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@xantufrog: Yeah, I'd rather get a consistent experience than the best possible technical merit.

-Byshop

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kakamoura
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

Have people who say 30 fps is ok EVER played on 60 fps? Have they ever realized the difference?

I have no idea how can anyone play at 30 fps and not get physically sick. Now, if anyone actually believes they went 30 fps FOR PLAYER EXPERIENCE then I guess they deserve what they get.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@JustPlainLucas:

I agree but if ai ever become a developer

... I'l stick to my story.... no matter what....

To be honest I don't developers like sugar coating the facts anymore than some of us like hearing them..... but unfortunately good business is not built on the blatant truth...

How ever this one developer whom I believe if he says he intended his design choices to be a specicific way... and thats Hidetaka Miyazaki....

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@kakamoura said:

Have people who say 30 fps is ok EVER played on 60 fps? Have they ever realized the difference?

I have no idea how can anyone play at 30 fps and not get physically sick. Now, if anyone actually believes they went 30 fps FOR PLAYER EXPERIENCE then I guess they deserve what they get.

30 is still fine. To say you physically can't play with 30 is like saying you physically can't eat hamburger after steak. You're making it sound like 30 is a slideshow.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kakamoura

@JustPlainLucas said:

@kakamoura said:

30 is still fine. To say you physically can't play with 30 is like saying you physically can't eat hamburger after steak. You're making it sound like 30 is a slideshow.

30 fps makes me dizzy, not to mention it introduces input lag and general unresponsiveness.

It might be because last time I played anything at 30 fps was back during gamecube times but I really can't deal with 30 fps anymore unless it's a point n click game or something without camera movement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

There is nothing about 60FPS that could possibly negatively affect the players experience. I wish these developers would stop spewing out total BS. Just give us 60FPS Uncharted, if you can't give us it due to poor hardware. Then just say so.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

This is interesting, so they might not go the route of 60 fps. But nothing is certain though

thoughts?

Why is it interesting? 60fps is nice but as long as its above 25fps its fine and wont be noticed by most gamers.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

thoughts?

Why is it interesting? 60fps is nice but as long as its above 25fps its fine and wont be noticed by most gamers.

Because it might be cool to see it at 60 fps

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

@kakamoura said:

So, Skyrim on PC has this glitch (probably related to one of my mods) where the frame capper kicks in and holds it at 30fps from the usual 60 I like to run it at. I notice it instantly and have to restart the game because it physically bothers me. Have no problem with going from playing a 60fps game on PC to playing a 30fps game on consoles, though. I'm sure someone can explain that, but I can't. I know console games and TVs themselves typically have a lot of image processing built in, like blur, adjusted to the expected framerates, and PC games and monitors usually are free of that sort of stuff. Might have something to do with that. Anyway, my point is that he's not exaggerating.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Last_Ride

@Crossel777 said:

There is nothing about 60FPS that could possibly negatively affect the players experience. I wish these developers would stop spewing out total BS. Just give us 60FPS Uncharted, if you can't give us it due to poor hardware. Then just say so.

Well he was referring to the game having bugs

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I guess they're worried that at twice the fps the campaign will be half as short :O

That is how it works, right?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mastermetal777

@ianhh6: no. They're actually worried about players enjoying the game. Everyone else is just turning it into a big war over fps and console performance.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@mastermetal777: 'Twas only a joke, sir.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@kakamoura said:

i personally don't care as long as the game is good

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mastermetal777

@kakamoura: it doesn't matter to me. And I've played both 30 and 60. It just depends on the game for me. They're both fine as long as they're stable and don't dip every time things get crazy on-screen.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jacanuk

@kakamoura said:

Then you must not play a lot of games... And i guess you skipped the PS2, Xbox, Ps3, Xbox360, Wii, WiiU, SNES, NES etc. etc. etc. etc and a whole lot of pc games up until a few years ago. On the account that you get physically sick by their sheer presence on the screen.

Or should we just confirm that you are one of those people who love to seem "hip" and only want to play in 60fps even though you have been perfectly good with 30 for so long.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Byshop said:

@The_Last_Ride: I read the article but I'm not clear on what they mean by that. I guess part of it is if they can't maintain a constant 60FPS they will cap it as lower but the article is confusing.

-Byshop

They aren't very clear on it, i kind don't know what they meant either. I think they mean bugs and framerate stutters. It's a vague statement tbh

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Should just aim for 30 to get more out of the PS4, and this series has been at 30FPS since 2007 so a higher FPS isn't needed but welcomed.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The_Last_Ride

@mitu123 said:

Should just aim for 30 to get more out of the PS4, and this series has been at 30FPS since 2007 so a higher FPS isn't needed but welcomed.

i mean if they can achieve it and don't screw up the game, then i am fine with it

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kakamoura

@Jacanuk said:

@kakamoura said:

Then you must not play a lot of games... And i guess you skipped the PS2, Xbox, Ps3, Xbox360, Wii, WiiU, SNES, NES etc. etc. etc. etc and a whole lot of pc games up until a few years ago. On the account that you get physically sick by their sheer presence on the screen.

Or should we just confirm that you are one of those people who love to seem "hip" and only want to play in 60fps even though you have been perfectly good with 30 for so long.

I was content with as low as 10 fps sometimes (true crime nyc, jesus) because I had no other options.

60 fps is objectively better than 30 fps, in any kind of situation, no exceptions and now that I have the choice to play on 60 fps or lock it down to 30 fps, I choose 60 fps EVERY TIME.

Only console users claim otherwise because they are in denial (fox and grapes you know).

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kakamoura

@mastermetal777 said:

@kakamoura: it doesn't matter to me. And I've played both 30 and 60. It just depends on the game for me. They're both fine as long as they're stable and don't dip every time things get crazy on-screen.

That's your opinion and as long as we understand 30 fps is a product of COMPROMISE not ARTISTIC CHOICE (muh cinematic experience) I am ok with it.

It's ok if you don't have a problem with 30 fps but if you have the choice between 30 fps and 60 fps and you choose 30, then sorry but there's something really wrong with you.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 The_Last_Ride

@kakamoura said:

@mastermetal777 said:

That's your opinion and as long as we understand 30 fps is a product of COMPROMISE not ARTISTIC CHOICE (muh cinematic experience) I am ok with it.

It's ok if you don't have a problem with 30 fps but if you have the choice between 30 fps and 60 fps and you choose 30, then sorry but there's something really wrong with you.

There is a big difference, but if a game is better overall on 30 i am ok, but i know 60fps is better

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kakamoura

@The_Last_Ride said:

@kakamoura said:

@mastermetal777 said:

There is a big difference, but if a game is better overall on 30 i am ok, but i know 60fps is better

How can a game be better on 30 fps? In other words, how can a game be better with unresponsiveness, input lag and without as much room to drop more fps in cases it's needed?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 The_Last_Ride

@kakamoura said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@kakamoura said:

@mastermetal777 said:

How can a game be better on 30 fps? In other words, how can a game be better with unresponsiveness, input lag and without as much room to drop more fps in cases it's needed?

i meant the overall game, if it has less bugs with 30, i rather have that than a buggy mess at 60

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kakamoura
@The_Last_Ride said:

@kakamoura said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@kakamoura said:

@mastermetal777 said:

i meant the overall game, if it has less bugs with 30, i rather have that than a buggy mess at 60

Dude framerate has nothing to do with bugs unless the game engine is built from scratch with the intention of being locked at 30 fps.

For example skyrim's physics scripts are coded around framerate and if you try to disable v-sync and go above 60 fps, the physics go crazy but that's a problem with physics implementation.

Other than this particular implementation, the dillema between 60 and 30 fps is not bugs, it's graphical compromise.

And really, PC users have the option to crank up the graphics and play at 30 fps or disable some effects and go up to 60 fps or anything in between. This whole "30 or 60 fps" exclusive dilemma is console-bred because consoles lock it down. (with extremely rare cases) and it's a false dilemma.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The_Last_Ride

@kakamoura: The game might not run aswell and it might stutter if it does go 60 fps and it can't handle it

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kakamoura

@The_Last_Ride said:

@kakamoura: The game might not run aswell and it might stutter if it does go 60 fps and it can't handle it

Mate, running well means it's higher framerate. When we say a game runs smoothly, that's what we mean. You don't seem to understand what fps means.

Computers do calculations right? When it completes a series of calculations, it "prints" them on the monitor so you can see them (ie a frame).

The better the computer runs, the more frames you can see in a single second. When we say "wow this PC can run games well" we mean that the computer can do calculations fast or that it has a high frame rate. Frames per second is the assessment of performance itself, it's not something that impedes performance like shaders or anti-aliasing etc etc. The higher the framerate, the better the game runs.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jacanuk

@kakamoura said:

@Jacanuk said:

@kakamoura said:

I was content with as low as 10 fps sometimes (true crime nyc, jesus) because I had no other options.

60 fps is objectively better than 30 fps, in any kind of situation, no exceptions and now that I have the choice to play on 60 fps or lock it down to 30 fps, I choose 60 fps EVERY TIME.

Only console users claim otherwise because they are in denial (fox and grapes you know).

Ok, not what you wrote first but ok.

Anyways yes of course 60fps is better than 30 fps, the higher the frames the more smooth experience, but they key here is that most gamers won't be able to tell the difference straight away, It requires training and exposure to higher frames more than just a few hours a week.

So 30fps is fine for most gamers and they will never be able to see a difference from 60 to 30 particular not if they only game on console

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kakamoura

@Jacanuk said:

@kakamoura said:

@Jacanuk said:

@kakamoura said:

Ok, not what you wrote first but ok.

Anyways yes of course 60fps is better than 30 fps, the higher the frames the more smooth experience, but they key here is that most gamers won't be able to tell the difference straight away, It requires training and exposure to higher frames more than just a few hours a week.

So 30fps is fine for most gamers and they will never be able to see a difference from 60 to 30 particular not if they only game on console

But I'm not concerned with people who don't know the difference, I'm concerned with people who say 30 fps isn't inferior.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mastermetal777

@kakamoura: in some instances, I would prefer 30 FPS just to have it feel cinematic and stable. Some games just don't feel right at 60 FPS, and that's fine. I'm sorry you have such hostility towards it, but many times it is a conscious choice and usually doesn't impact the overall quality of a game, at least for me and many others.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kakamoura

@mastermetal777 said:

@kakamoura: in some instances, I would prefer 30 FPS just to have it feel cinematic and stable. Some games just don't feel right at 60 FPS, and that's fine. I'm sorry you have such hostility towards it, but many times it is a conscious choice and usually doesn't impact the overall quality of a game, at least for me and many others.

There are a hundred other better ways to make games feel cinematic without compromizing the quality of the game with drop in FPS.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 The_Last_Ride

@kakamoura said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Mate, running well means it's higher framerate. When we say a game runs smoothly, that's what we mean. You don't seem to understand what fps means.

Computers do calculations right? When it completes a series of calculations, it "prints" them on the monitor so you can see them (ie a frame).

The better the computer runs, the more frames you can see in a single second. When we say "wow this PC can run games well" we mean that the computer can do calculations fast or that it has a high frame rate. Frames per second is the assessment of performance itself, it's not something that impedes performance like shaders or anti-aliasing etc etc. The higher the framerate, the better the game runs.

i do know how a pc works, i studying this mate.

However, if they want to make a game that looks "better" and make the overall have a better graphic that fits with it, then i don't see a reason why not. However a game always looks the best when it's running at 60, because it just runs better. But for a game like uncharted, you don't really need compared to competative games like COD or Forza

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mastermetal777

@kakamoura: like I said, I don't care if it's 30 or 60 as long as the framerate is stable.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kakamoura

@mastermetal777 said:

@kakamoura: like I said, I don't care if it's 30 or 60 as long as the framerate is stable.

The problem with 30 fps isn't the stability, it's the 30 fps.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mastermetal777

@kakamoura: it can be stable if it doesn't drop. I don't get sick looking at it. It's not a bad framerate. Anything lower is hell

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kakamoura
@mastermetal777 said:

@kakamoura: it can be stable if it doesn't drop. I don't get sick looking at it. It's not a bad framerate. Anything lower is hell

"it can be stable if it doesn't drop"

People die if you kill them.

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ktseymour
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts

@mastermetal777:

Actually what the Dev's supposedly said was the game is going to run around 50-60 but they capped it at 30 for the press release so the game doesn't stutter for obvious reasons. What is actually being said is don't be surprised if the game doesn't run at 60, which means the game more then likely will not and will come close, but run more around 50 or so.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@kakamoura said:

@mastermetal777 said:

30FPS is fine though for console games, unless it's PC then 40+ is more preferable.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kakamoura

@mitu123 said:

@kakamoura said:

@mastermetal777 said:

30FPS is fine though for console games, unless it's PC then 40+ is more preferable.

What's the difference between a console game and a PC game?

Let's take Crysis as an example. Why is it ok to be 30 fps on consoles but should be 40+ on PC?