umm... whats a beta?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by pooka216 (370 posts) -
:oops: i have always just been a casual gamer, so i dont know that much about this kind of stuff. So what is a beta?
#2 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (19123 posts) -

It's a work-in-progress version of a game that is released for testing, generally to a limited number of paid testers or selected users.

You can read all about it here ;)

#3 Posted by UT_Wrestler (16378 posts) -
The beta is what you put on the hooka to catch the fisha.
#4 Posted by pooka216 (370 posts) -
so is the beta like a demo. Could u find it at the ps3 or xboxlive store?
#5 Posted by UT_Wrestler (16378 posts) -

so is the beta like a demo. Could u find it at the ps3 or xboxlive store?pooka216

Like a demo? Well, no. Demos can be downloaded by the general public, and are usually a highly polished sample of what the final game will be like.

Betas are unfinished and often unpolished full versions of the final games. A group of random gamers might be brought in to the game's studio to try out the beta, seeing if they find any bugs in the game that the developers might have missed. You can't just download these betas or find them in a store, though.

#6 Posted by The_Frederick (605 posts) -
Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying that betas are unfinished and unpolished. But they're not entirely debugged.
#7 Posted by CrimsonpugTwo (2220 posts) -

When games are being developed and coded they are considered being in their "Alpha" stage. Once most of the work is done, and all thats left is playtesting and de-bugging, that is referred to as the "Beta" stage.

Every game undergoes the beta stage, but 95% of them are done in house (by the developers or publishers by their QA - or Quality Assurance - staff). For games that will require an online presence there is often a "closed" Beta by regular gamers who get in by invite only. Other games, like the recent Little Big Planet, SOCOM: Confrontation, and even Metal Gear Online give beta access to anyone who can get a code, these are called "Open Betas".

And after the "beta" stage comes the "Gold" stage, where the game has shipped to manufacturers for disc creation, packaging and shipping.

#8 Posted by MkwFan7767 (456 posts) -
NO A BETA IS A ALPHA IN DISGUISE THAT HAS ONE OMEGA THAT LIKES DELTA :D
#9 Posted by Mike1978Smith (2012 posts) -
It's what we watched our movies on back in the 80's. :P
#10 Posted by N8A (18602 posts) -

It's a work-in-progress version of a game that is released for testing, generally to a limited number of paid testers or selected users.

You can read all about it here ;)

Black_Knight_00
this looks good to me.
#11 Posted by FatChuwawa (736 posts) -

The beta is what you put on the hooka to catch the fisha.UT_Wrestler

i know you are most likely american so its not really your fault, but beta is pronounced beeta rather than bayta. So that joke doesnt techinically work. but it does if you are american.

nothing against americans but some of my friends started to say bayta and it annoyed me lol

#12 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (19123 posts) -

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]The beta is what you put on the hooka to catch the fisha.FatChuwawa

i know you are most likely american so its not really your fault, but beta is pronounced beeta rather than bayta. So that joke doesnt techinically work. but it does if you are american.

nothing against americans but some of my friends started to say bayta and it annoyed me lol

Being a greek word, it should be pronounced 'beta'.

#13 Posted by King9999 (11835 posts) -
It's what we watched our movies on back in the 80's. :PMike1978Smith
"Oh no...Beta!"
#14 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (19123 posts) -

:lol: Today's Penny Arcade has to do with Beta :lol:

#15 Posted by Unassigned (1970 posts) -

:oops: i have always just been a casual gamer, so i dont know that much about this kind of stuff. So what is a beta?pooka216

"Beta" is the same as "preliminary" or "prologue" , as in "Gran Turismo 5 Prologue".

#16 Posted by Lukas_917 (50 posts) -
hahaha! :) nice... Photoshop??
#17 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (19123 posts) -

[QUOTE="pooka216"]:oops: i have always just been a casual gamer, so i dont know that much about this kind of stuff. So what is a beta?Unassigned

"Beta" is the same as "preliminary" or "prologue" , as in "Gran Turismo 5 Prologue".

With the exception GT4 Prologue was sold at full price to the public (a dirty commercial trick if you ask me), while Betas are handed out for free to the chosen few.