Umbrella Chronicles Hell (Wii) IGN Review '20 hours of Lightgun play'

• 173 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#101 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
No love for Tomb Raider? Pfft, the Wii version is going to be awesome. Cmon, its a remake of one of the early classics of 3D adventure gaming.EdgecrusherAza
I just bought this for my 360 (for $30) but tis on the shelf until next year as im swamped to begin with. Hi definition Lara Croft = win. Im still only like halfway through Tomb Raider Legends as well... *sigh*
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
[QUOTE="bugsonglass"]

[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]I'm quite suprised Umbrella chronicles worked out well. Spirit_of_87

Likewise, question however is who's going to buy these games on the week when Galaxy is being released?

I am:wink: I am passing on Mario Galaxy for thegreener pastures of quality third party titles. Including Ghost Squad and Soul Calibur Legends next week.

No time to be elitist :P Mario might be ubiquitous but it is so for a reason. It's going to feel every bit as special as if being the lone person in the Galaxy playing this.

The others can wait. As GG said there's always christmas. I don't share your optimism regarding Soul Calibur Legends though ... and Ghost Squad is sadly full price in Europe so it won't be an impulse buy.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#103 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

How can they release a dreamcast port for full price in 2007? :? Endless ocean is £16 online! Argh!

Did I mention just how good endless ocean is yet?

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

How can they release a dreamcast port for full price in 2007? :? Endless ocean is £16 online! Argh!

Did I mention just how good endless ocean is yet?

gaminggeek

Arrrghh stop it. I am off work today and had my fingers crossed that it would arrive but still no joy. Hopefully tomorrow. At least i'm really enjoying Phantom Hourglass but EO has been my most anticipated game as it's coming way out of left field.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 gaminggeek
It's awesome. I put some new pics up in the thread.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

[ Hi definition Lara Croft = win. GodModeEnabled

Until you realise that Lara's model is the only visually impressive thing about it. Still, good game at a good price.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
i have a feeling this will be my christmas game with the fam. its going to be such a blast in 2 player.
Spirit_of_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Spirit_of_87
Member since 2003 • 2423 Posts
IGN Review.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 gaminggeek

IGN Review.Spirit_of_87

7.9, so that's an 8.0 then really. 8.3 from gametrailers. I guess a 7.5 from good ole gamespot.

IGN said "there's no denying the fun we had playing the game, and any Resident Evil fan out there will undoubtedly feel the same way after a few hours of Umbrella Chronicles. It lacks polish, and it may have some annoying gameplay quirks that keep it from being a "great" game by definition, but as a tribute to the Resident Evil franchise, and a fun in-between game that works well in short bursts, UC delivers. There's a huge variety of RE-inspired levels to blow through, over 20 hours of play (gigantic for a light gun game), nearly a dozen weapons to find and upgrade, and a pretty ambitious amount of scripted cut scenes and ****cally bad Resident Evil voiceover work. It's far from perfect, but it's an entertaining addition to the RE "gun survivor" genre, and it simply boils over with fan service. "

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 gaminggeek

1up-review

"While Umbrella Chronicles doesn't accomplish much of note besides solidifying the Resident Evil story thus far, it provides plenty of point-and-pull-the-trigger satisfaction for your buck (especially with a friend in tow). It offers the welcome accessibility of the Wii amidst a more thematically mature setting, providing an enjoyably casual trip through a slice of gaming history. Series fans will devour it as an excuse to flesh out the Resident Evil canon, but there's enough casual slaughter of the undead for anyone to enjoy."

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#112 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts
Wow, this is getting fantastic reviews for a lightgun game! Albeit a 20 hour one!
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 gaminggeek

gamepro-review 4.25/5.00

Resident Evil plus solid light-gun action equals 'teh awesome.'

Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts
I'm really glad this is receiving positive reviews after my intial skepticism. I hope it sells well so Capcom support the Wii in the future, hopefully with more quality, in-depth games.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I kind of want this now!

This is the perfect, pick-up-and-play type of game. Great for casuals and hardcore alike.

20 plus hours, wow! That's a lot of good content for a light-gun game!

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 gaminggeek

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles Trailer

Exclusive russia footage

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 nopalversion

Really want it, this what the Wiimote was made for!

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 gaminggeek

So 4.25/5 from gamepro, that's good right :lol: Seriously what a stupid rating scale they have. :lol:

So what do you guys think about this from the IGN review?

"the experience feels incomplete without the inclusion of RE2 and RE4. You'll play through parts of Zero, the original RE, and RE3, but the game lacks any RE2 or RE4 goodness. Why they were left out is anyone's guess (we're hoping that this is an early hint that Capcom is working on a new RE2 to team with the re-release of RE4 on Wii), but they're definitely missed, as those two games include a ton of great Resident Evil moments. "

Kawata has said that he wants to do a RE2 from the RE4 perspective in the past, in fact that was what Umbrella chronicles was supposed to be like..

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#121 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

The main feeling I have is that the reason why Accuracy isn't tracked in RE:UC is due to how much the game wants you to find hidden files and such, that you're going to shoot about a bit randomly at things to find those hidden points, which would normally drop your accuracy.

If you boost the difficuly to Hard...man, the enemies get a bit faster and harder to deal with. Afer a first run through, I'm definitely doing a pass through on Hard.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts

Sweet, sounds like I didn't waste my money by buying this today, then. I wonder if it gets old towards the end though? I mean, 20 hours is a long, LONG lightgun game.

And oh man, that would be sweet if they remade RE2. I've said for years, I would have preferred a remake of RE2 done up just like RE1, with extra area's, weapons, etc, over RE Zero. Hands down.

Progenitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Progenitor
Member since 2003 • 3710 Posts

I've said for years, I would have preferred a remake of RE2 done up just like RE1, with extra area's, weapons, etc, over RE Zero. Hands down.

EdgecrusherAza

I sort of agree, but Shinji Mikami's team was hard at work on RE4 by the time the first game's remake was released in Japan, and Hideki Kamiya (the original RE2 director) was busy with Viewtiful Joe. An RE2 remake from the former Capcom Production Studio 3 (Zero's developers) would not have appealed to me. I'd rather not have Masachika Kawata in charge of such a project either, for that matter. Now that the men who were most responsible for the original masterpiece have left the company, I would prefer it if Capcom decided against remaking any of their past works, and concentrated on moving this series forward instead.

-OmegaKnight-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 -OmegaKnight-
Member since 2002 • 22957 Posts

GameSpot just posted their review: 7.0

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/residentevilseries/review.html?sid=6182921

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#126 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

-OmegaKnight-

"On-rails shooter gameplay can still feel restrictive"

It's an on-rails shoter... what were they expecting?

tbone29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 tbone29
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts
[QUOTE="-OmegaKnight-"]

Foolz3h

Good question...

It's like they marked off an on-rails shooter for being an on-rails shooter :?

creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts
[QUOTE="Foolz3h"][QUOTE="-OmegaKnight-"]

tbone29

Good question...

It's like they marked off an on-rails shooter for being an on-rails shooter :?

Agreed.

Also, on a personal, off-topic note...How dare Gamespot use the Almighty Accordion to represent their "bad music" demerit? If they can name a single other instrument of equal range and auditory beauty that is all at once portable, acoustic, and allows for simultaneous performance of melody, harmony, bass and rhythm, then I'm all ears!:x

Anyway, it looks like this game is getting fairly strong reviews, with the usual exception of gamespot. I'll definitely be picking this up and some point.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Skylock00

Anyway, it looks like this game is getting fairly strong reviews, with the usual exception of gamespot. I'll definitely be picking this up and some point.creepy_mike
This is still a good, solid review of the game. Regarding the 'restrictive' comment, I can understand what he's saying, especially because of how much the camera moves about, it's sometimes really hard to get some of the shots that you want to place, and can feel like sometimes getting some of the hidden items, or good shots is more about luck than skill (a boss fight or two come to mind, where the camera motions restricts you to having only a .5 second span of time out of nowhere before you are hit twice for notable damage).

Odd choice of words? Maybe, but I can see what he's talking about.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 GodModeEnabled
WTF 20 hrs?! This is awesome. I cant wait to buy this one. Why is there so many good games all at once? Whos bright idea was this? Come here so I can slap you sensless :evil: *looks at his large pile of unopened awesome games he still needs to play* *sigh*
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Skylock00

WTF 20 hrs?! This is awesome. I cant wait to buy this one. Why is there so many good games all at once? Whos bright idea was this? Come here so I can slap you sensless :evil: *looks at his large pile of unopened awesome games he still needs to play* *sigh*GodModeEnabled
Honestly, I played RE:UC for an hour or so, then decided to get back to Mario Galaxy....but after a few mins of Galaxy, I just wanted to get back to RE: UC again!

Yeah, that's how much fun I'm having with it. Once you learn critical spots on enemies, it's a blast to try and get nothing but one shot kills on as many enemies as possible. :D

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 GodModeEnabled

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]WTF 20 hrs?! This is awesome. I cant wait to buy this one. Why is there so many good games all at once? Whos bright idea was this? Come here so I can slap you sensless :evil: *looks at his large pile of unopened awesome games he still needs to play* *sigh*Skylock00

Honestly, I played RE:UC for an hour or so, then decided to get back to Mario Galaxy....but after a few mins of Galaxy, I just wanted to get back to RE: UC again!

Yeah, that's how much fun I'm having with it. Once you learn critical spots on enemies, it's a blast to try and get nothing but one shot kills on as many enemies as possible. :D

Nice! That gives the game a bit more depth, I also like the hidden files idea and the fanservice the reviews keep talking about. The boss fights sound really cool too. Im throughly impressed that this game is around the 20 hour mark too, after a year of all my games being 5-8 hours long im happy to have some more meaty titles like this and Fire Emblem to go through. btw off topic but did you like Manhunt 2? I just picked it up for the ps2.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 OneWingedAngeI
glad to hear you guys are enjoying it. going to exchange a copy of metroid prime 3 i have leftover from the last TRU b2g1 sale when they do the wii only version of the sale on the 18th. i dont think ill open it until after galaxy is done or i lose intere..LOL yeah right..
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Skylock00

Nice! That gives the game a bit more depth, I also like the hidden files idea and the fanservice the reviews keep talking about. The boss fights sound really cool too. Im throughly impressed that this game is around the 20 hour mark too, after a year of all my games being 5-8 hours long im happy to have some more meaty titles like this and Fire Emblem to go through. btw off topic but did you like Manhunt 2? I just picked it up for the ps2.GodModeEnabled
Manhunt 2 is alright, but suffers from glaring, general design flaws that don't make it as impactful as Manhunt 1. Namely, since none of the executions are really all that mandatory, and there is no incentive to do more brutal executions for any reason in the game (unlike the first), there simply is this lacking sense of finish to the game. There's no judgement or grading imposed on how well you do a stage... or even a clock showing how long it took. It just says you finish with a stage.

Furthermore, the story was both disjointed and blatant for me, like Kev said in his review (actually, he was pretty much on point with most of the flaws of the game). Graphics were alright, but the really iffy AI, poor balancing of difficulty on a stage by stage basis, and poor pacing on a stage by stage basis really makes it seem like at the end of the day, all the time spent delaying the game to tweak its content should've been spent making a fundamentally better game.

I'm not terribly bummed out, though, cause I'll prolly give some stages a second run through in the future, but it just felt like a lot of wasted potential on many fronts.

Now, RE:UC on the other hand has a lot of strong qualities in its design thus far, fun incentives to doing your best, and the addition of branching paths (both mandatory and optional) add some variety and fun to the mix. All I want to test next is co-op mode.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 gaminggeek
Nice impressions. Despite owning RE0, RE1, 2, 3, Code veronica and RE4 I never classed myself as a RE fan :P Strange looking back on it. I'll get this gifted to me for christmas and see what its like. It'll be fun to have something to play with the family.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Skylock00

I managed to squeeze in about 3 hours with the game today, did about 6 missions. The mansion levels are definetly better than the zero level but its still a bit off for a light gun game. Wiimote is no subsitute for a light gun, moving a cursor is not as fun as aiming and shooting. The aiming feels a bit off, there are times where enemies will jump at your screen and you are sure you hit them but it does nothing. As noted in nearly every review the critical shot feels off. To be honest I have played more exciting light gun games, the virtua cop games are more fun than this, they just have no where near the depth.dvader654
I disagree on these points. As a traditional arcade light gun game, yes, this is off a little to some degree.

But this isn't an arcade Light Gun game...it's a light gun game built for the Wii, and in that regard most of the gameplay controls/mechanics are spot on for me. You're still aiming and shooting, the cursor is just there to help you find those critical points that add so much more when you hit them just right. For me, the critical hits are amazing, as it gets imbedded in your brain where those spots are, and after a little practice/experimentation, you can begin nailing those weakpoints repeatedly, and relatively easily. By the first Mansion mission, I pulled off about...47 critical shots, at least, if not more.

Also, I think this, as a light gun game, has /more/ depth than most arcade shooters, because there's more strategy involved in your gunplay here than in a typical light gun game. Most lightgun games have alternative weapons that are just good to use because they are stronger than your handgun, but in RE:UC, many enemies respond differently to different weapons, and you'll want to be careful about your ammo use so you can have a specific gun for a specific encounter.

Like, let's talk about these things regarding enemies jumping at you and hitting you, even after you attack them. Knowing that the game is made for the Wii, the devs ramped the difficulty of things so that you really have to make an impact on an enemy to stop an attack, which involves causing enough damage to knocking them off track, which is where either full critical shots come into play, or alternative weapons, or alternative strategies.

For me, the only major complaints I have so far about the game are the storytelling aspects being kinda lame outside of full cutscenes, and the framerate chugs a bit at times. Otherwise, I'm loving this game now, and I really can't play SMG anymore until I'm done with this game.

PS360Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#138 PS360Fanboy
Member since 2007 • 2096 Posts
i know i'll wait till christmas to get it
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 nopalversion
I'm not that sure about the pointer, but hey, I guess I won't mind much if the game doesn't get too easy.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Skylock00
I'm not that sure about the pointer, but hey, I guess I won't mind much if the game doesn't get too easy.nopalversion
Fortunately, I think Capcom understood how a traditional light gun game with a pointer would be too easy, hence why they make UC a bit more intense and difficult than a traditional light gun game. Even on Normal the game puts up a bit of a challenge. I can't wait to see how much harder the game turns out on Hard (I tried one stage, and not only were the enemies more agressive and fast, but there was less ammo and healing items).
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Skylock00

Damn, you are good with those shots, well in time I should get used to it. All good points, I agree that many aspects are better than light gun games. My comparison to the light gun games is a way for me to describe how I feel to most people that dont have the game, the closest comparison to this game we have are the light gun games. I am just saying I find the core gameplay mechanics of this game to be not as exciting as a true light gun game. I know this game is not trying to be a light game exactly but I cant help feeling that pointing at things is not as fun as a light gun. Its close though,and most everything else the game has to offer does make up for it.dvader654
Oh, I understand the comparison, but the point I was merely making is that this isn't an arcade light gun game...it's a Wii lightgun game. After about a few mins I realized to start thinking about it this way, and the whole vibe just got a lot better. Regarding critical spots, the main key is just learning what those spots are, and which weapons will cause the best critical hit effect. If you want, I can explain my approach for the main zombies, and hopefully that'll explain how it can be relatively easy to pull off in the right condition.

Regarding being exciting, I find this game to be really exciting due to the fact that you don't really know how things are going to pan out during the stages. What types of enemies you'll run into, knowing what their weaknesses will be, whether or not they'll run at you, whether or not they'll use a projectile. The variety is great in that regard, and helps keep things exciting for me. The excitement should come from the action in the game, not from whether or not you have a reticle on the screen. ;)

Oh, yeah, the story is horrible for the most part, but at the very least the dev team has made a solid, solid game to play in.

Progenitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Progenitor
Member since 2003 • 3710 Posts

I haven't started playing The Umbrella Chronicles yet, but it sounds like Kawata and co. made a bit of a mess out of the series' storyline. Since it was first revealed that Jill and Chris would be traveling together during the game's mansion scenario, I was not expecting the main 1998 chapters to do the original Mikami-era Resident Evil titles justice, but I'm sorry to hear that at least some fans are disappointed with many of the new story elements as well.

This is why I'm against the idea of an RE2 remake at this point in time.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Skylock00

I haven't started playing The Umbrella Chronicles yet, but it sounds like Kawata and co. made a bit of a mess out of the series' storyline. Since it was first revealed that Jill and Chris would be traveling together during the game's mansion scenario, I was not expecting the main 1998 chapters to do the original Mikami-era Resident Evil titles justice, but I'm sorry to hear that at least some fans are disappointed with many of the new story elements as well.Progenitor
I'm a long term RE fan, but honestly, the story was never something that I felt was something that really made or broke the series enough to the point where it makes RE:UC a disaster of any sort. It's non-canon in all regards, and that's all that needs to be said about it. ;)

[spoiler] Granted, the side chapters in the mansion with Rebecca was among one of the stronger points so far. [/spoiler]

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#145 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I'm really struggling with whether or not to pick this up. I really want it, because I'm a sucker for on-rails shooters and light gun games, but man, it couldn't come out at a worse time, and it would feel almost like sacrilege to pull Mario Galaxy out of the drive right now.

On top of that, this game is $49. I though it was going to be cheaper for some reason.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Skylock00
I'm really struggling with whether or not to pick this up. I really want it, because I'm a sucker for on-rails shooters and light gun games, but man, it couldn't come out at a worse time, and it would feel almost like sacrilege to pull Mario Galaxy out of the drive right now.

On top of that, this game is $49. I though it was going to be cheaper for some reason. Shame-usBlackley

Ghost Sqaud's going to be 30 bucks, if that makes you feel better.

At any rate, if you want to hear one line for me about this game, it's this:

Despite issues in presentation (framerate chugs a little under 30 at times), and story, I've already put more time into RE:UC than I did Mario Galaxy so far. I tried playing Mario Galaxy last night...and I ended up having to stop so I could simply get back to playing RE:UC more.

Yeah, like I said, it's been /that/ fun for me so far. ;) Then again, I am a Light gun nut. ;D

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 OneWingedAngeI

On top of that, this game is $49. I though it was going to be cheaper for some reason.

Shame-usBlackley

agreed on the price, it definately seems like a $39 game. but ill still get it. mario isnt budging anytime soon but come christmas vacation this will be a blast to play with family. DO EET!

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#148 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts
Ghost Sqaud's going to be 30 bucks, if that makes you feel better.

At any rate, if you want to hear one line for me about this game, it's this:

Despite issues in presentation (framerate chugs a little under 30 at times), and story, I've already put more time into RE:UC than I did Mario Galaxy so far. I tried playing Mario Galaxy last night...and I ended up having to stop so I could simply get back to playing RE:UC more.

Yeah, like I said, it's been /that/ fun for me so far. ;) Then again, I am a Light gun nut. ;D

Skylock00

So am I. Damnit, I guess the wallet can handle a little more pummeling. You only live once, right?

The most amazing thing for me is the length. I grew up playing light gun games, and since they were all made for the arcade, they were really, really short. 20 hours is just amazing for a light gun game, as long as it's time well spent.

That's a bold statement about Galaxy, though. Man, I was late to work because of that game this morning, and I can't remember the last time I let that happen.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Skylock00

That's a bold statement about Galaxy, though. Man, I was late to work because of that game this morning, and I can't remember the last time I let that happen. Shame-usBlackley
It's bold, but it's the truth for me. When I get back home tonight, I'm probably not going to play Mario Galaxy at all, but spending my time playing Resident Evil UC.

So, yes, for now...

RE:UC > SMG - at least in terms of what's getting more of my time for now.

:P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts

Shame-usBlackley

It really is cheesy that they sold this at $50. Especially after the value-packed RE4 was only $40.

Still, it beats them selling RE2, Nemesis, and Code Veronica for $40 a pop on Gamecube.