Ultra Street Fighter IV

#1 Posted by BranKetra (48752 posts) -

With the digital version of USFIV available and the retail version soon to be available, I am considering who I will play. If Vega is anything like he is in Arcade Edition where I can simply time Izuna Drops with a one hundred percent chance of success as long as my timing is accurate, I may choose him again. I will likely play with Ryu as my main once again. He is a very balanced character.

Who will you choose?

#2 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

Dead or Alive ! :)

its the only choice.

#3 Posted by OneSanitarium (6921 posts) -

I want to try Hugo, do silly damage from footsies, and make them scared of my grabs. It'll be cool. Maybe. I'll probably just be a training mode warrior for a lot of other characters though.

#4 Edited by CrimsonBrute (23597 posts) -

@BranKetra: I don't really understand. Why change your preferred character since it's basically the same game as the original with a few more "bells and whistles"?

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

@CrimsonBrute

Because....uuuhhhmmmm.... Well because ITS ULTRA ! :D

I'm just joking I also don't see the reason why either.... Howerver this only applies to Street Fighter, in other Fighting games its cool because theres more stuff.... Right ?

#6 Edited by BranKetra (48752 posts) -

@crimsonbrute said:

@BranKetra: I don't really understand. Why change your preferred character since it's basically the same game as the original with a few more "bells and whistles"?

The basic fundamentals may be the same, but the mechanics are altered with each version. Movement speed, hit priority, and move damage are all traits of gameplay which change in varying amounts among others. Hence, certain characters increase in tier potential because of "buffs" or decrease as a result of "nerfs." They may seem like little changes by themselves, but they make a new game, together.

#7 Posted by CrimsonBrute (23597 posts) -
@BranKetra said:

They may seem like little changes by themselves, but they make a new game together.

Is that the reason there are about 46,853 different versions? One would think DLCs would do the job just as easily.

#8 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

@BranKetra

No.... A new game makes a new game all together... this is just DLC plus rebalancing, the issue is why pay for a game that shouldve been tweeked properly in the 1st Place ?

Whats even funnier is the series hasn't felt new since Street Fighter 3.......

If they go 3D then that would be something.... :)

#9 Posted by BranKetra (48752 posts) -

I am not going to argue with you. Sorry.

#10 Edited by BranKetra (48752 posts) -

@crimsonbrute said:
@BranKetra said:

They may seem like little changes by themselves, but they make a new game together.

Is that the reason there are about 46,853 different versions? One would think DLCs would do the job just as easily.

There are three versions of Street Fighter IV including Ultra. The new characters and rebalancing are collectively more than DLC and updates. That is what makes Street Fighter as popular as it is among the fighting game community.

Edit: Typo

There are four versions or five if you count Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition and Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition Updated version as separate games.

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

@BranKetra

You breaking my heart.... :(

#12 Posted by BranKetra (48752 posts) -

I did apologize.

#13 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

@BranKetra

Twas hardly sincere.

#14 Posted by bunchanumbers (1364 posts) -

Dan. His saikyo kick is now a command move which means greater freedom. Also his ultra 2 hits all the way now and deals more damage. His gadoken is better too. Add in easier comboing with his moves and you got a dark horse. Otherwise people have been pretty infatuated with evil ryu. He has a near infinite combo and nearly the same broken OPness of Akuma.

I also found that my combos with E Honda are easier to pull off than in previous versions. EX HHS four times followed by a heavy HHS is possible. I have finished off battles with 25+ hit combos with him. The only reason it wasn't higher was because they were KO'd.

#15 Posted by BranKetra (48752 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Let's stay on-topic.

@bunchanumbers said:

Dan. His saikyo kick is now a command move which means greater freedom. Also his ultra 2 hits all the way now and deals more damage. His gadoken is better too. Add in easier comboing with his moves and you got a dark horse. Otherwise people have been pretty infatuated with evil ryu. He has a near infinite combo and nearly the same broken OPness of Akuma.

I also found that my combos with E Honda are easier to pull off than in previous versions. EX HHS four times followed by a heavy HHS is possible. I have finished off battles with 25+ hit combos with him. The only reason it wasn't higher was because they were KO'd.

I saw the Evil Ryu combo you mentioned in the above post. E.Honda seems more capable of delivering successive damage, now. I expect Ryu to be changed somewhat as well.

I wish Alex were in more Street Fighter games, but since he is the main character of Street Fighter III, Capcom must not intend to bring him until that point in the series.

#16 Posted by MethodManFTW (25784 posts) -

I'll be playing Rose.. I've been suffering on PC waiting for Ultra but it will finally hit any day now.. I almost bought a 360 a month ago just for Ultra.

Also

Street Fighter IV, Super Street Fighter IV, Super Street IV Arcade Edition, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 2012 (A free update), Ultra Street Fighter IV.

#17 Posted by bunchanumbers (1364 posts) -

I believe Rose took Evo 2014. I'm a little disappointed in GS for not covering Evo this year. Last year they were all over it. There were tons of characters you almost never see doing damage in Evo. Rose, E Honda, Makoto, Dhalsim too. There was one T Hawk I saw some vids of from KojiKOG. His stuff was insane. I never thought a T Hawk could do what he was doing. Just evidence that its a different version.

#18 Edited by BranKetra (48752 posts) -
@MethodManFTW said:

I'll be playing Rose.. I've been suffering on PC waiting for Ultra but it will finally hit any day now.. I almost bought a 360 a month ago just for Ultra.

Also

Street Fighter IV, Super Street Fighter IV, Super Street IV Arcade Edition, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 2012 (A free update), Ultra Street Fighter IV.

Rose is a good character whether or not she is based on Lisa Lisa.

I made a typo. I edited my post to include all the versions.

#20 Posted by Metamania (12015 posts) -

At the moment, I'm unsure. I need to pick up a PS3 before I can play Ultra and from what I've heard, Ultra is pretty much all over the place with its balance issues. People tell me that Yun is a tier of his own (meaning he's apparently godly) while fighters like Dan continue to get worse. So I'm unsure as to who would be my main for Ultra.

#21 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (834 posts) -

Tiger shot! Tiger Knee! Tiger Uppercut! Sagat all the way.

#22 Posted by Byshop (11627 posts) -

@BranKetra: Lisa LIsa is the one I adore.

I'm a big Ken player, and I'll probably stick with him. Most of the changes I have read sound really interesting and I can't wait to try them out. The modified ex-tatsu trajectory for fake cross ups, the speed, and the damage tweaks all sound cool based on how I play. The only thing that'll mess me up that I know about is they took away Ken's ability to FADC on the second hit of a DP. That will make FADC-ing out of a blocked DP much harder.

-Byshop

#23 Posted by Archangel3371 (15739 posts) -

I can't wait to pick this up later today. I'm thinking of trying out Poison and Decapre as potential mains.