Ubisoft does it again.Forcing us to advertize Assassin's Creed 3 to unlock an ad

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

4444444z0ug2.png

1.776 million votes to unlock ANOTHER ad for their game. Now I have seen everything. I always knew facebook and twitter were evil, now i know why. I also find it funny that they acutally think making it 1.776 million votes will make us think 'oh wow, what a neat history reference that ties in well with the story'. Well, f*ck you Ubisoft.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

It's just for publicity. Although, if it works, it will only help them with business networking.

thegroveman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 thegroveman
Member since 2012 • 123 Posts

You can be offended if you want, but companies pour billions into advertising that works. Viral marketing generates all kinds of hype for these big releases, and it will pay off for them.

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
I think the TC is being a bit naive...
kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts
People didn't cry as much when Dark Souls did the same thing. I don't see anything wrong with it, it's just marketing.
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

For planning purposes, can anyone tell me what I should be doing with my money when civilisation collapses? Should I put it into gold or something a little more exotic like rare stamps (a la Dr No)? Also, when the invading armies march through our cities and trample our fields into dust would it be prudent to make sure I'm reserved for the officers (in which case I hope they like 32 year old dudes)?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It's just a business strategy and they're genius for making people into tools to do their bidding.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#8 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

Anyone else here completely uncaring about Assassins Creed 3? After 3 games in 3 years with minor tweaks I am finding it hard to give a crap about this one, advertising for a trailer sure as hell isn't going to change that.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

Oh man... so, let me get this straight...

I have to use my account to spread the word to my friends in order to promote the unveiling of a trailer that is targeted to me and my friends. If we don't hit the established goal using my friendship/social channels then we will not be able to view this trailer that is, once again, targeted at me.

Wait. If we are using my social channels to promote Ubisoft's trailer then I should be compensated, right?

I'm tired of Facebook, Twitter and whatever other social media channels that can be force into the marketing chamber in my games. At first, this approach wasn't so bad when social media was on the rise of breaking new ground but now it's so unoriginal and standard operating procedure that I am actually insulted. It's turned into a very ugly trend.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I am pretty sick of Facebook and Twitter as well. Seems like a smart move for Ubisoft I guess, but this kind of thing annoys me.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 S0lidSnake

I have to use my account to spread the word to my friends in order to promote the unveiling of a trailer that is targeted to me and my friends. If we don't hit the established goal using my friendship/social channels then we will not be able to view this trailer that is, once again, targeted at me.

Wait. If we are using my social channels to promote Ubisoft's trailer then I should be compensated, right?

I'm tired of Facebook, Twitter and whatever other social media channels that can be force into the marketing chamber in my games. At first, this approach wasn't so bad when social media was on the rise of breaking new ground but now it's so unoriginal and standard operating procedure that I am actually insulted. It's turned into a very ugly trend.

juradai

Stop being so naive!

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 S0lidSnake

Anyone else here completely uncaring about Assassins Creed 3? After 3 games in 3 years with minor tweaks I am finding it hard to give a crap about this one, advertising for a trailer sure as hell isn't going to change that.

AzelKosMos

I was kind of sick of AC after Brotherhood even though it's a great game, have skipped Revelations, but this game looks like a complete reboot. New setting, new lead, new gameplay mechanics, free running on trees! Huge war battles, this is unlike any AC game we've played.

Sadly, we dont have a single video of this game in action, and with Ubisoft holding the first official video hostage until we do the advertising for them, this looks like it will be a long wait.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 branketra

juradai
When you put it that way, it is annoying. It's like a social experiment that they're getting paid for but the subjects aren't.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#14 c_rakestraw
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Dumb. Just dumb.

Hope this doesn't become a trend.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 juradai
[QUOTE="juradai"]

BranKetra
When you put it that way, it is annoying. It's like a social experiment that they're getting paid for but the subjects aren't.

What perplexes me the most is that they don't have to take the cheap social channel route to promote this game. If I'm reading the reception of ACIII since its announcement so far, this game is already highly anticipated. Anything they do now to promote it must be done carefully and be unique to keep the momentum going.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 juradai

[QUOTE="juradai"]

S0lidSnake

Stop being so naive!

Oh yeah... I'm not sure what that other guy was referring to. If this is naive then by all means ignorance is bliss. I place this lazy social media trend right between Billboard Top 100 mainstream music and reality TV. It really has to stop.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="juradai"]

juradai

What perplexes me the most is that they don't have to take the cheap social channel route to promote this game. If I'm reading the reception of ACIII since its announcement so far, this game is already highly anticipated. Anything they do now to promote it must be done carefully and be unique to keep the momentum going.

So you think this is a gamble?
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Let the kids bother with it and then reap the fruit of their hard work. We do not sow
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 juradai
So you think this is a gamble?BranKetra
I think it is unnecessary. This whole social campaign lacks any real marketing creativity and strategic execution which is essential to maintaining the quality of the Assassin's Creed brand that they have worked so hard to establish. I'm not sure why they would take the social "whoring" route just to promote awareness. They are basically saying, "Help us spam the announcement of a game that has already been announced and we will reward you with a little treat called a game trailer." It's artificial and insulting to their market base. Social media, if used right, is strongest when the response of something grows organically through the grapevine with no incentive needed from the original source that is promoting it. If people "Like/+1" something they will do so voluntarily without the need of anything. The day companies started doing this is the day that viral marketing went all Hollywood.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I saw the teaser trailer and I like what I"m seeing more and more. However, I think I'm gonna start not reading up or looking up anything AC III...I want to be surprised when it does come out in October!

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

I don't see why this is big deal. The Legend of Korra did something similar using facebook to unlock early access to the first episode. It's vitually the same thing and I don't see what it hurts to send out a simple retweet or to like something that you will like anyway.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#22 c_rakestraw
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I don't see why this is big deal. The Legend of Korra did something similar using facebook to unlock early access to the first episode. It's vitually the same thing and I don't see what it hurts to send out a simple retweet or to like something that you will like anyway.Yusuke420

That was for the full first two episodes, though. This is just for a trailer. It's gameplay footage, granted, but it's still just another tiny peak at the full game. With E3 less than a month away, everyone might as well wait for the game to be demoed there instead; save themselves the trouble of unlocking this pointless thing. The E3 demo footage will probably be more lengthy than this thing, anyway.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]I don't see why this is big deal. The Legend of Korra did something similar using facebook to unlock early access to the first episode. It's vitually the same thing and I don't see what it hurts to send out a simple retweet or to like something that you will like anyway.c_rake

That was for the full first two episodes, though. This is just for a trailer. It's gameplay footage, granted, but it's still just another tiny peak at the full game. With E3 less than a month away, everyone might as well wait for the game to be demoed there instead; save themselves the trouble of unlocking this pointless thing. The E3 demo footage will probably be more lengthy than this thing, anyway.

I mean it really take very little effort though, I use twitter all the time and a retweet takes like three clicks. If you're interested in the game, it won't kill you to hype it a little bit.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]So you think this is a gamble?juradai
I think it is unnecessary. This whole social campaign lacks any real marketing creativity and strategic execution which is essential to maintaining the quality of the Assassin's Creed brand that they have worked so hard to establish. I'm not sure why they would take the social "whoring" route just to promote awareness. They are basically saying, "Help us spam the announcement of a game that has already been announced and we will reward you with a little treat called a game trailer." It's artificial and insulting to their market base. Social media, if used right, is strongest when the response of something grows organically through the grapevine with no incentive needed from the original source that is promoting it. If people "Like/+1" something they will do so voluntarily without the need of anything. The day companies started doing this is the day that viral marketing went all Hollywood.

Interesting views.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I would like to see more gameplay of the game though

speaking of which here's a teaser where you can see some gameplay in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv0DnFcgubA

Also this is more than just simple advertising, they are trying to see how many people are interested in the game.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 S0lidSnake

Also this is more than just simple advertising, they are trying to see how many people are interested in the game.

seanmcloughlin

lol how do you figure that?

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

S0lidSnake

lol how do you figure that?

I just mean publishers probably demand this stuff to be done to see how many people are very eager to play the game. More than likely if say they get 1 million people to do this then that means it will most likely be sold to those 1 million people. I'm not saying it's definitely that I just mean businesses do this crap all the time to test the water and see how many people are biting.

Same reason they have pre-orders so early. Counting their money before the game is even out.

But obviously it's advertising first and foremost I just mean there is more to it. not saying I promote it

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts
I really don't see what the big deal is myself. They're really not forcing much of anything, it just seems like marketing to me. It's not like they won't show plenty of other videos and info on the game outside of this before the game comes out. Anyway it's just typical social media type stuff and I'm sure plenty of people don't mind doing this type of thing. If you don't care for it then don't partake in it, I doubt you'll really miss out on much of anything if you don't. In the grand scheme of things this seems to be something pretty insignificant to be upset over.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
It's market research. They probably want to get an idea of how many care about Assassin's Creed 3 to bother to vote. I think it's smart. Blizzard is doing something similar.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

This isn't a bad thing, it just seems like they didn't really look at their target audience that well. By now it seems a lot of people are more nervous about this game since we just got 2 sequels to the 2nd game and are growing tired of the series. This would have worked better with the first or second game, as people were more hyped for it and wouldn't think twice about taking part in the viral marketing.

However, at this point there's no reason to be bothered since we pretty much know the basics of what we're going to get.

They should be doing more like Dragon's Dogma or especially Deus Ex: Human Revolution is still doing. Both are constantly interacting with their fans and DE:HR will frequently posts links related to their game, such as the latest advancements in biotic limbs. DD continues to post short video clips of different combos and moves each class can do in the game. The problem is, AC can't do that since a lot of it has already been done. What they can do is show off locations or historical places they went to for the game's design. It's obvious they don't really want to show that much of the game, which makes it seem like they don't have much new to offer. Afterall, Bioshock: Infinite had gameplay footage out last year and continues to release character design and behind the scenes clips (which can work very well to create hype, as the voice acting studio diaries got me really into the game before any gameplay was shown).

It just seems like Ubisoft isn't willing to accept that people don't really care as much about ACIII or are cautious about it, as social media as the potential to be used very well, and has been for many other industries.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
ye i dont like this...especially since its facebook which i hate using.. i dont mind what ea did with battlefield 1943 where they would unlock a map when u reached x amount of kills...that was cool
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

Clever adversitsing but almost 2 million for a trailer? Nah, This isn't GTA IV which broke the internet:lol: Now if it was to unlock a playable demo then we will bite :P

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 S0lidSnake

Oh whatever. This is way low on the evil actions by publishers list.dvader654

it's not evil. its f*cking stupid.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Archangel3371

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Oh whatever. This is way low on the evil actions by publishers list.S0lidSnake

Honest to god I'm really failing to see what the big deal is about this.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Oh whatever. This is way low on the evil actions by publishers list.Archangel3371

Honest to god I'm really failing to see what the big deal is about this.

This isnt a big deal. this is just a video game forum after all. Nothing I bring up here on this video game board is a big deal. To me, a big deal is people dying in wars all over the world, poor getting poorer, rich getting richer, and obama's chances of getting reelcted getting slimer. This is just me pointing out how absurd marketing has become.

This is worse than trying to youtube the Avengers trailer, but being forced to watch the Avengers trailer as an ad first. Ubisoft is asking us to advertise their advert so we can later watch the said advert. If you fail to see how stupid this is then i dont know what to tell you. If it was a demo that we could play then sure, i see nothing wrong with that. But this is just a freaking trailer, a commercial, something that is designed to sell the game.

TBH, I should've expected that not everyone will find this absurd. After all, people are ok with getting adverts shoved down their throats on a paid service like Xbox Live so i suppose some people have developed a thicker skin for such ridiculous endevaours than i have.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Archangel3371
No need to go all hyperbole S0lid I think I can agree what would constitute as actually being a big deal would be. The fact that you took what is likely more time and effort to create and converse in this thread then what it would take to actually do whatever it was in social media to partake in this event or whatever you want to call it seems to be more absurd to me. If you don't use social media then what's the big deal, you'll probably see it somehow eventually or you'll see other ads and info on the game where this one ad won't matter anyway. If you are into social media then doing these kinds of things such as "liking" something or recommending stuff to friends is basically second nature anyway so again no big deal. I really don't even see it being silly or absurd either as simply something that just is. It's marketing, advertising, word of mouth, viral, getting people to talk around the water-cooler so to speak. I'd rather it be something simple like an ad then something more integral to the game.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
So what's the problem here?
ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts
its a business. social media is a form of advertisement. get over it.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#40 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

By making this topic, you have now done what Ubi wanted by bringing their strategy to our attention.

In all honesty though, it doesn't seem to be a big deal. It takes little effort to tweet something or to post something on Facebook, or otherwise just post something for everyone to see. Ubi's just taking advantage of a tool in the way it's meant to be used, only now they're doing it in a different way. It's not like they're asking for money to unlock the trailer.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

People are missing the point of S0lids post. He's not saying this is the end of the f***ing world, it's just an annoying tactic that, is some ways, is quite condescending to gamers. "Advertise our game, then we'll show you an advertisement". It's not "get free in-game content", "get a demo early", or anything really beneficial or interesting. Of course we're gonna see the gameplay trailer eventually, no matter what.

It's annoying, and that's all he's posturing it as. Don't say sh!t like "Why even post about this?"... it's a videogame board, people. This is where we discuss things that inspire us, entertain us, and yes, irritate us in regards to our favorite hobby.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#42 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Sounds really good to me...

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I honestly can't see the problem here. If you don't want to participate then don't. In the end even if that goal is not reached they are going to show the trailer anyway :P

The very idea that Ubisoft is even in a position manipulate or use us is in itself funny. And in the end the joke is going to be on Ubisoft :P

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#44 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

People are missing the point of S0lids post. He's not saying this is the end of the f***ing world, it's just an annoying tactic that, is some ways, is quite condescending to gamers. "Advertise our game, then we'll show you an advertisement". It's not "get free in-game content", "get a demo early", or anything really beneficial or interesting. Of course we're gonna see the gameplay trailer eventually, no matter what.

It's annoying, and that's all he's posturing it as. Don't say sh!t like "Why even post about this?"... it's a videogame board, people. This is where we discuss things that inspire us, entertain us, and yes, irritate us in regards to our favorite hobby.

Jbul

Whether we realize it or not, we advertise games all the time. When we play an awesome game, what do we do? We tell everyone else about it. Ubi's basically taking a direct approach by telling everyone to tell the world about their new game. It's something people probably would've done anyway without the need for this tactic.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Pretty pointless to waste time tweeting and posting on facebook just to unlock a teaser trailer with more cutscenes or multiplayer crap. Might as well wait until E3. To each his own but marketing gimmicks like this shows how many people will salivate and fiend for a product they only saw glimpses of instead of being convinced to actually spend money. Even GTAV will have to show me it's worth my dollar, especially after GTA4's disappointment.

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#48 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts
LOL we have to kowtow to Ubisoft to get them to release an advertisement? Amazing.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#49 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
They aren't forcing you to do anything lol. It's also not an advertisement, it's a gameplay video. If you don't like the method, don't participate. You'll see the game in a month anyway at E3, and in five months you'll own it. Big deal.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 juradai
No need to go all hyperbole S0lid I think I can agree what would constitute as actually being a big deal would be. The fact that you took what is likely more time and effort to create and converse in this thread then what it would take to actually do whatever it was in social media to partake in this event or whatever you want to call it seems to be more absurd to me. If you don't use social media then what's the big deal, you'll probably see it somehow eventually or you'll see other ads and info on the game where this one ad won't matter anyway. If you are into social media then doing these kinds of things such as "liking" something or recommending stuff to friends is basically second nature anyway so again no big deal. I really don't even see it being silly or absurd either as simply something that just is. It's marketing, advertising, word of mouth, viral, getting people to talk around the water-cooler so to speak. I'd rather it be something simple like an ad then something more integral to the game.Archangel3371
I think it's pretty obvious to us who find this marketing approach unfavorable that Ubisoft will eventually release the gameplay trailer and we will get more content when E3 comes around. However, it's worth mentioning that being vocal about how they are going about it just shows how excited we are for the game and having to "jump through hoops" in order to see what will eventually be released comes across as insulting. You may not see it that way, which is fine, but I think being on a discussion forum and stating valid reasons as to why this is disappointing is why we are all here in the first place.