TtitanFall...really that anticipated ???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by scarred_fox (296 posts) -

Titan Fall, named one this years most anticipated games of our year. I was fortunate enough to play the beta and well...it has a COD feel to it sadly. Not putting the game down for it but for my taste, I left that kind of genre behind...let me explain.

I can't claim to be an FPS aficionado since I did not grow up with Unreal and quake. I grew up with counter strike 1.3, delta Force, Joint Operations and battle field. these were games that required some tactics in order to over come the overwhelming numbers in the match and there was self gratification for it since you eliminated a threat which took its time to settle in. The run and gun type game play felt like my own player was expendable and got no self gratification for taking the time to flank and take out a squad which can easily make their way back due to the small size of the maps.

In other words, the Goldeneye or Perfect Dark type gameplay from N64 is way behind me and I was hope full for something new from this title. Once the bots and player counts were mentioned, I began losing interest and playing the beta put the nails on the coffin. I did not feel challenged nor gratification, just felt like another basic run and gun shooter.

Titan Fall is unique in its own way and if you enjoyed the beta or like run and gun, quick spawn matches then by all means support the game...this is just my take on it.

Any one else fell the same way or do you disagree. Let me know.

P.S: alcohol has been consumed XD

#1 Edited by Mesomorphin (826 posts) -

How is having a COD feel to it a sad thing? to be honest with you, I'am sick of COD just as much as the next guy. But I'am willing to admit that the COD games do have very engaging/addictive online multiplayer game modes that keep you coming back for more. Now imagine that without all the BS sniper quick scopes and spawn kills, but add parkour, better sci-fi themed visuals and mechs with freaking ejector seats and telekinesis! Now please don't accuse me of being blind 13 year old kid( I'am actually 19 ) But sounds incredible awesome! and I'am a single player gamer. Now whether you chose to dislike the game/ not buy it, you cant ignore the fact that this game will sell well into the millions and will have a very active community for years to come, if the reactions to the beta are anything to go by. And aslong as there is no BS quick-scopes/spawn kills, I love the idea of that. And who knows, this may actually put COD out of business, or at least force it to innovate inorder to survive as a franchise. Please, if you're going to reply to this, dont be an idiot and reason with my statement, don't insult it.

#2 Edited by scarred_fox (296 posts) -

If you read the devs report they mention, "it's not COD with giant robots" sadly, it is. During the beta, not many players or bots utilized the parkour type style and in fact the walls were way too high to even double jump upwards to the next level or roof top. Like I said, there's no self gratification talking out bots nor getting a titan to drop which is every two minutes. At least in the COD titles, every streak earned you a perk to help you out but on titan fall its just a hand out. That's not my type of game.

I'll beat it like a dead horse, its not my type of game play but others will like it and Titan Fall may grow in popularity and I will not hate on that. Its just not the game play I'm interested in despite the hype.

To make it clear, I'm more into tactical shooters than run and guns. Hopefully that clarifies my stance.

#3 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18541 posts) -

It will be completely forgotten in a few years, but for what it is it looks like good fun

#4 Edited by Mesomorphin (826 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

It will be completely forgotten in a few years, but for what it is it looks like good fun

Wouldn't be so certain man, given the popularity for this game. EA will likely punch out sequels as often as Battlefield. Which can be a good thing, aslong they're aren't released yearly, which in a way EA is good like that. They give their franchises time to breath. etc Mass Effect, Battlefield.

#5 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18541 posts) -

@mesomorphin said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Wouldn't be so certain man, given the popularity for this game. EA will likely punch out sequels as often as Battlefield. Which can be a good thing, aslong they're aren't released yearly, which in a way EA is good like that. They give their franchises time to breath. etc Mass Effect, Battlefield.

Hm yeah, I suppose they are planning to alternate Titan Fall to Battlefield for a yearly release in lieu of Medal of Honor

#6 Posted by Metamania (12018 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

It really depends on how successful the game is though in terms of sales. If people decide to buy the game multiple over, then it won't be forgotten anytime soon. After all, this game is being made from the same people that created the original Call Of Duty games in its early lifespan. When people hear that? They'll go batshit crazy and buy it, whether they are a fan or want to experience it for themselves (I'm the latter, not the former).

#7 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18541 posts) -

@Metamania said:

It really depends on how successful the game is though in terms of sales. If people decide to buy the game multiple over, then it won't be forgotten anytime soon. After all, this game is being made from the same people that created the original Call Of Duty games in its early lifespan. When people hear that? They'll go batshit crazy and buy it, whether they are a fan or want to experience it for themselves (I'm the latter, not the former).

Yeah, either sequels will keep the franchise alive or it will be dead and forgotten in a few years. In any case you won't be able to play this Titan Fall in 4 or 5 years as the servers will have been repurposed. It's a rental.

#8 Posted by Metamania (12018 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@Metamania said:

Yeah, either sequels will keep the franchise alive or it will be dead and forgotten in a few years. In any case you won't be able to play this Titan Fall in 4 or 5 years as the servers will have been repurposed. It's a rental.

Well, there is no harm in trying it out. Since I'm getting this on the 360 and not on Xbox One, I imagine that the game will be scaled down quite a bit to fit the Xbox 360's machine capabilities.

#9 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

I bought theif and banished.

I couldnt care less about Titanfal

#10 Edited by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Wow, hadn't even thought of that. With EA's server closing habits, yes, Titanfall will be completely unplayable within four years to five at the max. These guys really do see gaming as a disposable bubble gum hobby. Chew a piece until the flavor is gone, then spit it out and get another.

#11 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18541 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Wow, hadn't even thought of that. With EA's server closing habits, yes, Titanfall will be completely unplayable within four years to five at the max. These guys really do see gaming as a disposable bubble gum hobby. Chew a piece until the flavor is gone, then spit it out and get another.

Precisely. I have MAG sitting on a shelf here. The servers are offline now, I keep it as a replacement jewel case, that's all it's good for now. Titan Fall will be the same, at least on consoles, PC is a different story.

#12 Edited by scarred_fox (296 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

I bought theif and banished.

I couldnt care less about Titanfal

I'm looking forward to thief as well.

#13 Posted by hijacobhi (82 posts) -

I don't know I haven't played it yet but the game looks kind of cool. The giant titans that everyone gets seems to make the game stand out more then others I have seen. plus this is an online only game so I think when the full thing comes out it will be flawless since that's all they have been working on.

here is some really cool gameplay I found on YouTube. if you watch when he is in the titan I think its so cool that it can use force powers, also jumping out right before it explodes is awesome.

#14 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

My problem with CoD was never the mechanics, but the setting. WW2 is interesting enough, but the whole modern military shooter thing just bores me. But the mechanics were always fine.

Titanfall is fun. I don't care if it's gone in a couple of years because I'll likely only play it for a couple of months anyway. I enjoyed my time with the beta enough to want more. It's not an investment for me, I don't care what value it will hold in a few years. That's what story based games are for. Sometimes all a game needs to be is fun in the moment. That's enough in this case. I may not play the sequel (a new and hopefully better Halo will be out by then) and since there's no proper story mode I won't need to revisit it anyhow.

#15 Posted by scarred_fox (296 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13:

agreed on the modern shooter.

#16 Edited by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

I was one of those people that was skeptical and even bashed Titanfall tell I played the PC beta. Titanfall does have that CoD feel to it but it quickly goes away once you see how fast and fluid the game is. It's become one of my must have games for 2014 and March needs to get here faster.

#17 Edited by The_Last_Ride (72503 posts) -

i personally don't see the big deal about this game tbh. But i have mentioned this before. I think it's going to sell just well no matter what i think. I don't think it does anything new or amazing.