Top 5 Hardest games on MD/SNES?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Sorry if this is hard,but i'd like you to make a top 5 hardest games list for each console.

#2 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -

SHADOW OF THE BEAST on the MD, easily one of the hardest games on the system.

#3 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Not sure if mega man x was for snes but that one definitely ranks up there.

#4 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

Not sure if mega man x was for snes but that one definitely ranks up there.

nooblet69
I actually don't think it's that hard, you just need to know where the upgrades are. once you get them the game becomes a peace of cake as for the question: I'd name contra hardcorps, now THAT game was hard
#5 Posted by Heirren (16851 posts) -
I remember Turrican on Genesis being incredibly difficult.
#6 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

I've never played it, but I hear Hagane is brutal.

#7 Posted by Stefan91x (256 posts) -

Contra Hardcorps is so unfair

#8 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -
Not sure about top 5 but these come to mind: Battletoads & Double Dragon (SNES/GEN) Contra: Hard Corps (GEN)) F-Zero (SNES) Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES) Super Mario All-Stars (SNES, because of Lost Levels)
#9 Posted by Domino_slayer (763 posts) -

Hard Corps really isn't very hard, just requires some practice.

Battletoads, Gaiares, Hellfire, and Eternal Champions are truly nasty games, in Eternal Champions you get sent back 2 stages everytime you lose, and you only get one match against the horrible last boss, lose it and its instant game over.

#10 Posted by Stefan91x (256 posts) -

Hard Corps really isn't very hard, just requires some practice.

Domino_slayer

Really? It seems you have amazing skills..... I could chew my gamepad.

#11 Posted by Retro-Ninja (21 posts) -
The following list are games I have played. So imho the hardest games are: Mega Drive/Genesis 1. Comix Zone 2. Kid Chameleon 3. Alien Soldier 4. Chakan: The Forever Man 5. Robocop vs Terminator Snes 1.Mega Man X 2. Starfox 3. Out of this world 4. Earthworm Jim 5. Spiderman and Venom: Maximum Carnage
#12 Posted by kyuss015 (293 posts) -

SEGA GEN/MD

Gaiares

Truxton (at least for me)

Streets of Rage 3 ( At least the American version)

Hellfire

Phantasy Star II (Maybe not today but man...)

SNES

Hagane

Super Adventure Island

Final Fight ( More unfair really)

Cybernator

Batman Returns (A little cheap)

My own opinions based on the games I have played. There are other dificult games around, but these stood out to me.

#13 Posted by Allicrombie (25195 posts) -
SNES -Arcade's Revenge -Out of This World -Starfox -Actraiser 2 -Street Fighter 2 (the higher difficulties are so cheap)
#14 Posted by l34052 (3162 posts) -

Earthworm Jim on the genesis, the game itslef wasnt all that difficult at all but one level (the glass ball/submarine) was so frustratingly difficult its a wonder i have hair at all left.

Basically it involved piloting a glass ball submarine type thing through a level with rocks all the way through and the only control u had was to turn the thrusters in fifferent directions and thrust or not. The ball would crack with each touch until it shattered and you had to do the whole thing again and again and agian and agai............

For me this was one of the all time most difficult things in any videogame i ever played and i never did beat it without using cheat codes for invincibility. The rest of the game was fine but that one level i'll never forget aslong as i live......:lol:

#15 Posted by TerragonSix (390 posts) -

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Super Ghosts N Goblins on the SNES. I wanted to throw my controller through the window EVERY time I played that game when I was a kid.

Then again, you could say that for pretty much any arcade port that came down the pipeline. Arcade machines were made to be quarter eaters, after all.

#16 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Super Ghosts N Goblins on the SNES. I wanted to throw my controller through the window EVERY time I played that game when I was a kid.

Then again, you could say that for pretty much any arcade port that came down the pipeline. Arcade machines were made to be quarter eaters, after all.

TerragonSix

Ikr???

I beat it eventually..and had to rebeat it to see the ending.

>_>

#17 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -

TerragonSix
I didn't think of that one, agreed.
#18 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

"CastleVania Dracula X" on SNES and "CastleVania Bloodlines" gave me fits in the later levels, never managed to beat either of those.

and I wholeheartedly agree with "Super Ghouls and Ghosts".

and needless to say, pretty much most shmups (Musha, R-Type III, etc)

#19 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

"CastleVania Dracula X" on SNES and "CastleVania Bloodlines" gave me fits in the later levels, never managed to beat either of those.

and I wholeheartedly agree with "Super Ghouls and Ghosts".

and needless to say, pretty much most shmups (Musha, R-Type III, etc)

TheKungFool
I always thought castlevania bloodlines was a cake walk when you play as Eric Lecarde
#20 Posted by DeafNYCPlayer (2307 posts) -
Comix Zone Super Star Wars Trilogy Battletoads
#21 Posted by WWE6427 (207 posts) -

Spider-Man and X-men arcades revenge on the snes was a cheap and hard one.

#22 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

Out of what I've played, Super Star Wars is definitely the hardest, I still haven't beaten the fourth level...Also:

Mega Man X-mainly because of the Sigma fight, that's probably the hardest final boss I've ever faced.

Mega Man 7-Same reason as X, Dr. Wily was hard as hell.

Donkey Kong Country 2-Had some pretty challenging levels, not the hardest plaformer though.

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs-I played this game/watched my friend play it and it looks like hell lol.

#23 Posted by clubhaxor (2482 posts) -

SHADOW OF THE BEAST on the MD, easily one of the hardest games on the system.

Panzer_Zwei

First post in and this was what I was gonna go with:P