Top 20 biggest game worlds

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by HipHopBeats (2899 posts) -

Here is an intersting find. Do you agree with this list?

#2 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18507 posts) -
What's there to agree with? The numbers don't lie. Anyways, I'll take the smaller world of San Andreas and FarCry 2 over the 600+ square km of Just Cause 2. Size is not everything, and that's what she said
#3 Posted by sukraj (23032 posts) -

Far Cry 3 has a very big open world.

#4 Posted by -Unreal- (24544 posts) -

I've not played Minecraft but I doubt the pre-generated terrain is as large as Kalimdor+Eastern Kingdoms+Northrend+Outland, but who knows.

Some of them shouldn't be on the list. Diablo 3's world isn't very big, neither is Dark Souls.

One continent in WoW is much bigger than Skyrim and that's #3.

#5 Posted by -Unreal- (24544 posts) -
Size is not everything, and that's what she saidBlack_Knight_00
More like "that's what HE said".
#6 Posted by almasdeathchild (9517 posts) -

LOL darkfall isnt on this? wtf over..... anyway yea i thought the list was actually pretty legit

#7 Posted by brickdoctor (9746 posts) -

I'm pretty sure both Far Cry 2 and Just Cause 2 had a bigger world than RDR. Also, the descriptions don't really talk about the games worlds as much as the games themselves. Also, where's Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising?

#8 Posted by brucecambell (1572 posts) -

I dont know how exactly accurate the article is but the 20 picked are some of the biggest worlds out there. I dont understand though why GTA4 was picked when San Andreas was much bigger.

#9 Posted by -Unreal- (24544 posts) -

I dont know how exactly accurate the article is but the 20 picked are some of the biggest worlds out there. I dont understand though why GTA4 was picked when San Andreas was much bigger.

brucecambell
Yeah good point. GTA SA was bigger than GTA4.
#10 Posted by 190586385885857957282413308806 (13084 posts) -
It's a popularity list. GTA IV being on there instead of SA, Minecraft's random generated world but not Daggerfall's randomly generated world...
#11 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2884 posts) -
It's a popularity list. GTA IV being on there instead of SAsmerlus
of course...it's size may be smaller,but don't mess with how it looks so real than what SA can have
#12 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
is arkham city REALLY bigger than gta4? :S wow.... still havnt played it
#13 Posted by true_gamer007 (700 posts) -

Gothic 3 not even in the list??

#14 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2884 posts) -
I doubt it may be bigger,as the big part I know in there was the red zone
#15 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2884 posts) -

true_gamer007
how big was the map?
#16 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

No The Saboteur? It is a huge world set in WW2 Paris and Germany.

#17 Posted by RobertBowen (4094 posts) -

This image gives a very good idea of game world sizes in comparison to each other:

Large Video Game Worlds

Daggerfall was certainly the largest game world ever created, although the randomised nature of it made it a far less interesting place to explore. Size certainly isn't everything.

I actually thought the size of the island of Panau in Just Cause 2 was about right for exploration purposes, but that game had fast vehicles and aircraft, so it was easier to cover the distances. If you only had access to horses, it might have been a bit of a chore going from place to place.

Skyrim certainly didn't feel small, particularly with the wealth of dungeons, caves, forts, etc., to explore, although it was around the same size as Cyrodiil from Oblivion in actual land mass.

I think the quality of the explorable world is far more important than the sheer size of the map.

#18 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16788 posts) -

That is not a good list. Just cause 2 should have been far higher on it. then others just feel like they shouldn't be on there. In terms of sheer scope, JC2 should have been at the very least in the top 5.

Also where the hell is Xenoblade on there?

#19 Posted by -Unreal- (24544 posts) -

This image gives a very good idea of game world sizes in comparison to each other:

Large Video Game Worlds

RobertBowen

That is innacurate.

#20 Posted by markop2003 (29917 posts) -
Just Cause 2 is many times larger than a lot of those games, even Just Cause 1 is far bigger than GTA4
#21 Posted by Postmortem123 (7704 posts) -

Diablo 3? What?

#22 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
He didn't include Daggerfall because it is randomly generated... but included Minecraft? :lol: That list is awful. The top 3 in terms of sheer size are: 1. Minecraft 2. TESII: Daggerfall 3. Just Cause 2
#23 Posted by Moriarity_ (1349 posts) -

Lack of daggerfall on that list is disturbing.

edit: He also included Diablo 3? It's not exactly a small game(the maps get bigger as difficulty increases) but it shouldn't be anywhere on that list.

#24 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Interesting top 20 list but I definitely disagree with the placement of many of them. Just Cause 2 by far has the biggest game world I've ever seen, how on earth that was only at #14 I'll never know. The size of the game world doesn't mean everything though, because I enjoyed games like Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV more than Just Cause 2.

The biggest open worlds imo:

1. Just Cause 2
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Far Cry 2
  4. Fallout: New Vegas
  5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  6. Red Dead Redemption

I only included this-gen games in the list, otherwise GTA: San Andreas would have been high up. The list would be different if I put these games best to worst which shows that quality is better than quantity. Far Cry 3 and Grand Theft Auto V are set to have large open worlds too, so I'm looking forward to them.

#25 Posted by HipHopBeats (2899 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucecambell"]

-Unreal-

I agree San Andreas is definitely bigger in terms of scope but more detail was put in GTA4 world. Some of San Andreas world is just empty space with long stretches of road.

#26 Posted by tjricardo089 (7429 posts) -

What's there to agree with? The numbers don't lie. Anyways, I'll take the smaller world of San Andreas and FarCry 2 over the 600+ square km of Just Cause 2. Size is not everything, and that's what she saidBlack_Knight_00

True and funny.

#27 Posted by true_gamer007 (700 posts) -

[QUOTE="true_gamer007"]

Smashbrossive50

how big was the map?

Bigger than GTA IV, Arkham city , Far Cry 2 and many other. I bet it would have made in top 8 at least. It's an open world 3ps RPG, you can imagine.

#28 Posted by true_gamer007 (700 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"][QUOTE="brucecambell"]

HipHopBeats

I agree San Andreas is definitely bigger in terms of scope but more detail was put in GTA4 world. Some of San Andreas world is just empty space with long stretches of road.

Yes he does make a good point. I don't see San Andreas and gothic3 in the list.

#29 Posted by Grovilis (3728 posts) -

I'm kind of surprised that Arkham City is on this.

#30 Posted by roleplayer2004 (921 posts) -

Ha, Oblivion is far bigger than Skyrim which is very small for a game that came out in 2011. Morrowind bigger than Fallout 3? I think not. Where the hell is San Andreas? That should be in the top 5, not the weak and very small GTA 4.