Top 10 game controversies of 2012

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Last year might have been sonewhat disappointing for gaming but some interesting gaming drama took place. #1 isn't what you think it is.

Some of this ish I wasn't even aware of. Error 37? Dorritiogate?, lol! Even a mention of some old gamespot drama from way back.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
omg I'm so sick of people getting all worked up over rape in 18+ fiction. It's called mature content for a reason
applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

I only knew about the Mass Effect and Diablo issues, and vague details about the GMA's

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

omg I'm so sick of people getting all worked up over rape in 18+ fiction. It's called mature content for a reasonBlack_Knight_00

They'll be some group of people who feels offended every year when it comes to gaming. The question is when and what game.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

The Mass Effect 3 (Which I just snagged off Amazon for 15 USD!) is ranked the highest in my opinion. I haven't played the game yet (no spoilers please!!!) but I have never seen so many people with their knickers in knots about an ending. Also the 38 Studios thing was huge story and Curt Shilling lost all his gamer cred!

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#6 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Started watching until I realized it was 30 minutes long, screw that :lol:
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i love angry joes videos

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

The Mass Effect 3 (Which I just snagged off Amazon for 15 USD!) is ranked the highest in my opinion. I haven't played the game yet (no spoilers please!!!) but I have never seen so many people with their knickers in knots about an ending. Also the 38 Studios thing was huge story and Curt Shilling lost all his gamer cred!

Yusuke420

It's not just the ending, the whole game is like 20 hour of cutscene and dialogue and 2-3 hour of gameplay.

Example : Pop in disk, 1-2 minute splash screen, 1 minute char creation, 5-10 minute talking THEN you get to play for 5 minute, then again alot of talking and cutscene for 5-10 minute and again 5 minute of gameplay. Then go to citadel, talk to people for 30-45 minutes, and do a mission that takes 5-10 minutes.

Bioware needs to go back to video game school and get back to the fundamentals of how to tell a story without turning the whole game into a movie (most of which isn't even a GOOD movie.)

Basically it's like watching a 20 hour CHICK FLICK with 2-3 hours of gunplay.

Not buying another Bioware game until they grow a set of balls. They turned Mass Effect into General Hospital.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

ZombieKiller7

It's not just the ending, the whole game is like 20 hour of cutscene and dialogue and 2-3 hour of gameplay.

Example : Pop in disk, 1-2 minute splash screen, 1 minute char creation, 5-10 minute talking THEN you get to play for 5 minute, then again alot of talking and cutscene for 5-10 minute and again 5 minute of gameplay. Then go to citadel, talk to people for 30-45 minutes, and do a mission that takes 5-10 minutes.

Bioware needs to go back to video game school and get back to the fundamentals of how to tell a story without turning the whole game into a movie (most of which isn't even a GOOD movie.)

Not buying another Bioware game until they grow a set of balls. They turned Mass Effect into General Hospital.

Well ME is a space opera so it shouldn't surprise you that there is a lot of talking and often times drawn out melodrama. Granted, it's been done better before, but the game is more than that (yes, the beginning is more talk than gameplay but then it evens out). The problem is the voice actors for both male and female shepard were never good, so to have them talk more only further shows how nearly all the other voice actors outshine them. And if it weren't for Bioware going on about the ending prior to releasing the game then I doubt many would care, as the ending(s) really weren't that bad, and the endings for the side characters were all good (well, I didn't see them all as some of my characters died in ME2).

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

blueboxdoctor

Well ME is a space opera so it shouldn't surprise you that there is a lot of talking and often times drawn out melodrama. Granted, it's been done better before, but the game is more than that (yes, the beginning is more talk than gameplay but then it evens out). The problem is the voice actors for both male and female shepard were never good, so to have them talk more only further shows how nearly all the other voice actors outshine them. And if it weren't for Bioware going on about the ending prior to releasing the game then I doubt many would care, as the ending(s) really weren't that bad, and the endings for the side characters were all good (well, I didn't see them all as some of my characters died in ME2).

Since the first Mass Effect game, I tol every one that the choiced made would have little to no affects on the ending. Wioth that said, the ending of ME3 is still one of the laziest endings I have seen any game have.

Retrogamer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Retrogamer24
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts

I was unaware of some of those stories. AJ is funny some of the time, but in general, decent at what he does. I hope those Arma devs get released quickly. BS politics.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]omg I'm so sick of people getting all worked up over rape in 18+ fiction. It's called mature content for a reasonHipHopBeats

They'll be some group of people who feels offended every year when it comes to gaming. The question is when and what game.

I bet somewhere on the world there ARE guys like this:

*SPOILERS for CODMW2 AHEAD*

*Slaughters a Trizillion of Innocent People in the Airport Level of CODMW2* = "Oh my gosh this is such an awesome game"
*Sees a hinted rape scene in a not yet released Tomb Raider game* = "No this is so bad this can't be allowed in games"

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

The Mass Effect 3 ending was the dumbest controversy.

There shouldn't have been a issue there. Gamers are too over-demanding and butt-hurt.

I thought the ending was fine. I hated the false sense of entitlement all the Mass Effect fanboys had.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]omg I'm so sick of people getting all worked up over rape in 18+ fiction. It's called mature content for a reasonJustforvisit

I bet somewhere on the world there ARE guys like this:

*SPOILERS for CODMW2 AHEAD*

*Slaughters a Trizillion of Innocent People in the Airport Level of CODMW2* = "Oh my gosh this is such an awesome game"
*Sees a hinted rape scene in a not yet released Tomb Raider game* = "No this is so bad this can't be allowed in games"

What's simply hilarious is that in case the trailer showed Lara being tortured to death with a scalpel no one would have batted an eyelash, but a hand on her ass and UH-OH the game becomes the spawn of satan. That's when you realize without a doubt that rape itself was not the problem: people are simply terrified of sex, as ever.
I watched a FarCry 3 video on a major youtube channel and though they had no problem showing a girl's throat being cut from ear to ear with a machete, they censored a pair of nipples 20 seconds later. The bigotry is simply pathetic.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Man i've been out of touch of the gaming world for a while, only really knew a thing about a few of these. Been a poor year for gaming.

ESPM400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 ESPM400
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts

Man i've been out of touch of the gaming world for a while, only really knew a thing about a few of these. Been a poor year for gaming.

Ilovegames1992
I disagree, although it hasn't been a particularly great year, it's been pretty good. Almost every genre has seen at least one good release. Shooters saw Far Cry 3, which was the only game I've played that didn't see one moment of boredom throughout 40 hours of play time. Strategy saw Xcom and two great expansions, one for Shogun 2 and one for Civ 5. Racing was a bit less of a hit although Forza Horizon seems pretty great (I'm a huge racing fan, but haven't been able to shill out the dough for that one yet). Although I no longer play them, the unholy selling your soul genre (...er, I mean MMORPGs) got Guild Wars 2, which has the possible ability to unseat WoW from the MMO throne. That alone is saying something. We've gotten more spectacular indie games than I care to mention, and though those are the only genres I am knowledgeable in in the slightest, we did get one more great, which I have a hard time classifying; DayZ, an alpha mod of Arma II, which also happens to be my favorite game last year. So, as I said, not a poor year at all. Not spectacular, but still pretty damned good.