Top 10 Boss Fights!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Koi-Neon-X (2148 posts) -

I've played a ton of games and have experienced a lot of opposition that leads to a game's next stage orconclusion. Which boss fights left a permanent impression on you? here are my top 10 boss fights in no particular order:

**WARNING: SPOILERS**:P?

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES) last boss/Lavos (all forms)

2. Castlevania (NES) last boss/Dracula

3. Super Metroid (SNES) last boss/Mother Brain

4. Mega Man 2 (NES) last boss/Dr. Wily

5. Streets of Rage 2 (SG) last boss/Mr. X

6. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) last boss/Dracula

7. The Legend of Zelda (NES) last boss/Ganon

8. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SG) last boss/Dr. Robotnik

9. Metal Gear Solid (PS1) Psycho Mantis

10. Final Fantasy VII (PS1) last boss/Sephiroth

Honorable Mentions Top 10(in no particular order)

1. Ninja Gaiden (NES) last boss/Jaquio/Jashin

2. Capcom cl*ssics Collection Vol 1.(PS2) /Gun.Smoke/Round 3 Ninja Darts

3. God of War (PS2) Hydra Boss

4. Final Fantasy III (SNES) last boss/Kefka

5. Ghouls 'N Ghosts (SG) last boss/Loki

6. Contra: Shattered Soldier (PS2) Stage 5/Archipelago/Lance + multiple bosses

7. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) The End

8. Contra (NES) last boss/Red Falcon

9. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) stage 3 boss (two cyber-skeletons/fire-breathing skeleton behind wall)

10. Super Mario World (SNES) last boss/Bowser

#2 Posted by hurriflash (643 posts) -

Every single Colossi from Shadow of the Colossus and Tyrant from RE

I've played a ton of games and have experienced a lot of opposition that leads to a game's next stage orconclusion. Which boss fights left a permanent impression on you? here are my top 10 boss fights in no particular order:

**WARNING: SPOILERS**:P?

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES) last boss/Lavos (all forms)

2. Castlevania (NES) last boss/Dracula

3. Super Metroid (SNES) last boss/Mother Brain

4. Mega Man 2 (NES) last boss/Dr. Wily

5. Streets of Rage 2 (SG) last boss/Mr. X

6. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) last boss/Dracula

7. The Legend of Zelda (NES) last boss/Ganon

8. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SG) last boss/Dr. Robotnik

9. Metal Gear Solid (PS1) Psycho Mantis

10. Final Fantasy VII (PS1) last boss/Sephiroth

Honorable Mentions Top 10(in no particular order)

1. Ninja Gaiden (NES) last boss/Jaquio/Jashin

2. Capcom cl*ssics Collection Vol 1.(PS2) /Gun.Smoke/Round 3 Ninja Darts

3. God of War (PS2) Hydra Boss

4. Final Fantasy III (SNES) last boss/Kefka

5. Ghouls 'N Ghosts (SG) last boss/Loki

6. Contra: Shattered Soldier (PS2) Stage 5/Archipelago/Lance + multiple bosses

7. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) The End

8. Contra (NES) last boss/Red Falcon

9. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) stage 3 boss (two cyber-skeletons/fire-breathing skeleton behind wall)

10. Super Mario World (SNES) last boss/Bowser

Koi-Neon-X

#3 Posted by pills4louis (1385 posts) -

In my particular order:

Radiant Silvergun - stage 1 boss

Radiant Silvergun - Xiga (final boss)

God Hand - Devilhand (recurring boss)

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Atolm Dragon (recurring boss)

Gradius V - the entire stage 2 boss rush

Psyvariar 2 - final boss

Einhander - Stratagen Spacecraft (stage 6 boss)

Gunstar Heroes - Seven Force

Metroid II: Return of Samus - Metroid Queen (final boss)

Sin & Punishment - Earth Mimicry (final boss)

#4 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

#1 Omega Pirate (Metroid Prime - GC)

Damn You Omega Pirate!!!

#5 Posted by Koi-Neon-X (2148 posts) -

In my particular order:

Radiant Silvergun - stage 1 boss

Radiant Silvergun - Xiga (final boss)

God Hand - Devilhand (recurring boss)

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Atolm Dragon (recurring boss)

Gradius V - the entire stage 2 boss rush

Psyvariar 2 - final boss

Einhander - Stratagen Spacecraft (stage 6 boss)

Gunstar Heroes - Seven Force

Metroid II: Return of Samus - Metroid Queen (final boss)

Sin & Punishment - Earth Mimicry (final boss)

pills4louis

I was watching some footage of Radiant Silvergun (actually it was a long play/playthrough) and I was completely amazed (I think my jaw is still on the floor!) :o

#6 Posted by pills4louis (1385 posts) -

I was watching some footage of Radiant Silvergun (actually it was a long play/playthrough) and I was completely amazed (I think my jaw is still on the floor!) :o

Koi-Neon-X

It's pretty amazing. I paid $117 for my copy (bargain, since it still goes for upwards of $150) and I've gotten more than my money's worth, but I'd suggest waiting for the HD port on the XBLA if you have a 360. Either way, I'd consider it a must-play for anyone who enjoys shoot-em-ups.

#7 Posted by TheLordHimself (3316 posts) -

1. Ultimecia - Final Fantasy 8

2. The End - Metal Gear Solid 3

3. Emperor Ing - Metroid Prime 2

4. Yami - Okami

5. Nero Angelo - Devil May Cry

6. Nyx Avatar - Persona 3

7. Kronos - God of War 3

8. The 13th colossus - Shadow of The Colossus

9. False King Allant - Demon's Souls

10. Doctor Robotnik (final battle) - Sonic 2

#9 Posted by chocolate1325 (32500 posts) -

1.Mother Brain:Super Metroid

2.Ganon: Ocarina of Time

3.Colssous of Rhodes: God of War 2

4.Bowser: Super Mario 64

5.3 Headed Hydra: God of War

6.Kraid: Super Metroid

7.Giant Baby Bowser: Yoshis Island

8.Doomsday Zone: Sonic and Knuckles

9.Dark Link:Ocarina of Time

10. Shadow Queen: Paper Mario 2

#10 Posted by Koi-Neon-X (2148 posts) -

1.Mother Brain:Super Metroid

2.Ganon: Ocarina of Time

3.Colssous of Rhodes: God of War 2

4.Bowser: Super Mario 64

5.3 Headed Hydra: God of War

6.Kraid: Super Metroid

7.Giant Baby Bowser: Yoshis Island

8.Doomsday Zone: Sonic and Knuckles

9.Dark Link:Ocarina of Time

10. Shadow Queen: Paper Mario 2

chocolate1325

I like the Kraid boss fight in Super Metroid and the Giant Baby Bowser in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island too!:) the Colossus of Rhodes in God of War 2 is pretty epic boss fight too. Makes me want to play it again!:o

#11 Posted by planetjumper (638 posts) -

MGS3 The End and The Boss

MGS1 Psycho Mantis

WoW vanilla-four horsemen, nefarian

BC-Illidan, Leotheras the blind, kael'thas sunstrider, Prince Malchezaar

shadow of the colossus

this gen

demons soulstower knight and the penetrator

#12 Posted by Koi-Neon-X (2148 posts) -

MGS3 The End and The Boss

MGS1 Psycho Mantis

WoW vanilla-four horsemen, nefarian

BC-Illidan, Leotheras the blind, kael'thas sunstrider, Prince Malchezaar

shadow of the colossus

this gen

demons soulstower knight and the penetrator

planetjumper

I'll never forget my first encounter with a boss in Shadow of the Colossus (!) it's just epic!:) it's one thing to watch a demo of someone else playing it and quite another when you personally interact with it:o

#13 Posted by bloom467 (192 posts) -

KillingEdgar Ross in red dead redemption!!

#14 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

I'm actually surprised to see so many people opted for MotherBrain from Super Metroid! I love me some Super Metroid, one of my all-time favorite games, but I honestly felt all four of the sub-bosses left more of an impression on me than that final battle. Perhpas I'm just weird, lol.

One of my favorite boss fights was the final battle in SNES's "Final Fantasy II" (really IV).....

I remember getting to that final Boss as a kid (*spoiler incoming) [as if you'd be kickin' around the legacy boards and didn't already know!!] but damn, he wipes you all out, and then your other discarded side characters heal everybody up, just so epic. And then the thing kicks you around like a ragdoll whilst performing what, 2-3 form changes or something? LOL, I actually gave up on that fight for about a month, until a buddy told me about the infamous item duplicating trick that allowed you to make extra copies of the swords for Edge to throw.

#15 Posted by Koi-Neon-X (2148 posts) -

KillingEdgar Ross in red dead redemption!!

bloom467

Wasn't that just absolutely satisfying?!:P good choice!

#16 Posted by Koi-Neon-X (2148 posts) -

I'm actually surprised to see so many people opted for MotherBrain from Super Metroid! I love me some Super Metroid, one of my all-time favorite games, but I honestly felt all four of the sub-bosses left more of an impression on me than that final battle. Perhpas I'm just weird, lol.

One of my favorite boss fights was the final battle in SNES's "Final Fantasy II" (really IV).....

I remember getting to that final Boss as a kid (*spoiler incoming) [as if you'd be kickin' around the legacy boards and didn't already know!!] but damn, he wipes you all out, and then your other discarded side characters heal everybody up, just so epic. And then the thing kicks you around like a ragdoll whilst performing what, 2-3 form changes or something? LOL, I actually gave up on that fight for about a month, until a buddy told me about the infamous item duplicating trick that allowed you to make extra copies of the swords for Edge to throw.

TheKungFool

I believe the reason I picked the Super Metroid Mother Brain fight was for the pure emotion that went into that fight and the things that happened in it-just really touching in my opinion(I won't give anything away here) and I do agree that the sub-bosses are outstanding (especially the one with Kraid-my goodness I get chills when I hear that music.....)

#17 Posted by rwallacefan (4886 posts) -
1. Psycho Mantis - MGS 1 2. Sergeant Hollister - GUN (I dare you all to play against this guy and survive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
#18 Posted by chocolate1325 (32500 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

Koi-Neon-X

I believe the reason I picked the Super Metroid Mother Brain fight was for the pure emotion that went into that fight and the things that happened in it-just really touching in my opinion(I won't give anything away here) and I do agree that the sub-bosses are outstanding (especially the one with Kraid-my goodness I get chills when I hear that music.....)

I chose it as number 1 because it hada great climax it had alot of different emotions uin it that made me love it so much.

#19 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

In no particular order (Except for number 1 being the absolute best):

10. Fullmetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel final boss. Why?: THE FREAKING MUSIC!!!:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deMptGaHFXMThat is the kind of music you need to have for an epic final boss fight.

9. Sonic Unleashed final boss: Another example of how epic music makes a boss fight even more fun than it already is:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7RFXLUQoLo

8. Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 final boss: What an masterfully scripted game. The visual were jaw dropping and the final boss fight was long, challenging and very cinematic.

7. Metal Gear Solid 4 final boss: Nostalgia ftw.

6. Metal Gear Solid 2 final boss: It wasn't very challenging, but it was fun. And it ended with some of the best video game cinematics of all time.

5. Kingdom Hearts 2 final boss: Cinematics made it epic.

4. Tales of the Abyss final boss: I think I like this boss fight more for the experience than the gameplay. If that makes sense. It's the final showdown between Luke and his party and Van, it's a battle that will determine the fate of the world. With all the drama leading up to this final battle, it felt sort of mystical to get to this point in the story. I felt attached to the game and the characters, and actually wanted to win the battle to save the world.

3. Sonic Adventure 1 + 2 final bosses: They both played out similarly. You'd have to beat the individual story modes, then you'd unlock the final chapter in which you'd fight against some ultimate evil as Super Sonic. (and Super Shadow in SA2.)

2. Admiral Ripsnarl from the Deadmines in World of Warcraft: I really like what Blizzard has done with WoW after Cataclysm. They've revamped all the dungeons, and made pivotal boss fights more fun. Ripsnarl is by far my favorite of the revamped dungeon bosses, I really like his mist technique he uses, it feels like I'm actually fighting a boss, not just some really overpowered NPC.

1. Any and every colossi from Shadow of the Colossus: I've never played a game like Shadow of the Colossus. I love Sotc so much, it's a masterpiece that needs to be experienced by everyone. Fighting each colossi was an unforgettable experience, and after killing each one, I felt like I was really progressing. I was one step closing to bring back Wander's loved one.

#20 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

Creating a top 10 for boss fights would take a lot more energy then I have now, but here are the top bos fights off the top of my head:

-Ganon- Zelda OoT

-Every Colossus in Shadow of the Colossus

-Darth Malak- KOTOR

-RED- Pokemon Soul Silver/Heart Gold

-Star Wolf- Star Fox 64

#21 Posted by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -
My personal Top 10 Boss Fights are: 10. Kaptain K. Rool (Final boss/Donkey Kong Country 2) 9. Baron K. Roolenstein (Final boss/Donkey Kong Country 3) 8. Boolussus (Third boss/Luigi's Mansion) 7. Life Virus (Final boss/Mega Man Battle Network) 6. Dark Gaia (Final boss/Sonic Unleashed) 5. Hadron (Final boss/Custom Robo Arena) 4. Bowser (Final boss/Super Mario World) 3. The MC (Final boss/Smash TV) 2. Belger (Final boss/Final Fight) 1. Andross (Final boss/Star Fox 64)
#22 Posted by cronomagus36 (12663 posts) -
Not in order: - Giygas, from EarthBound - [spoiler] Sin/Jecht [/spoiler] ,from Final Fantasy X - Lavos, from Chrono Trigger - GlaDOS, from Portal (if that counts as a boss battle) - Ganondorf, from Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Orochi, from Okami - Smithy from Super Mario RPG - Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid - Xemnas from Kingdom Hearts II - Vaati from Zelda: Minish Cap
#23 Posted by Allicrombie (25197 posts) -
If you mean most memorable, I remember playing Simon's Quest for days and finally beating Drac at the end. Parents gave me a dollar after the credits rolled.
#24 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -

Fighting the SEGA consoles in SEGAGAGA was freaking epic.

Seven Force from Gunstar heroes is another of my fave boss battles. And oh, fighting the Vic Viper in Anubis : Zone of the Enders was awesome.