Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 Looks... horrible

This topic is locked from further discussion.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By amyh7292
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

I get nostalgia- I played all the originals. But DAMN the gameplay looks like late PS2 shit (maybe early PS3 if you're really stretching it). The skating looks unrealistic and cheesy as hell- even for a Tony Hawk game (and that's saying a LOT). Again, I know it's an arcade game and the point in the older games was to get combos by grinding telephone wires across the city and doing absurd shit because you can, not to follow physics and gravity and be hyper realistic. And I loved those games. But I mean, there's a next-gen way to do that and this doesn't look like it. I enjoy skating over a pit of fire and combo-ing around the city with my deck on fire, that being said getting 40 feet off the ground on a quarter pipe in 2015 just isn't sitting right with me. And the create-a-park segment looks laughable. I could have made that in 2002 on my PS2. This looks plain bad. Anyone else disappointed by the trailer?

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I don't really dislike it for the reasons you mentioned, but the level designs shown in that trailer look extremely bland to me. It looks like a more cartoony version of Project 8 or Proving Ground I guess. Hopefully there's a lot more to the game than what that trailer showed. I've been waiting for a new Tony Hawk game for a long time, so I'll probably end up getting it regardless.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By amyh7292

@lensflare15 yeah by no means was my point that the graphics alone are a dealbreaker. Hell an 8-bit game could look more natural than some of the animations though. I more just don't understand how nothing new is being done (seemingly) in terms of story or gameplay to the point where it just sounds like it's going to be all the PS2 versions of Tony Hawk with online co-op features. The maps look PS1 simplistic is likewise my main issue with it. LIke I said, it can be exaggerated and cartoony, but SOMETHING has to be new and cool and a little nicer looking. If not in the graphics, than in the mechanics of the movement. It looks rushed, low budget, and cheesy (and not in the good, old Tony Hawk way)

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts
@amyh7292 said:

@lensflare15 yeah by no means was my point that the graphics alone are a dealbreaker. Hell an 8-bit game could look more natural than some of the animations though. I more just don't understand how nothing new is being done (seemingly) in terms of story or gameplay to the point where it just sounds like it's going to be all the PS2 versions of Tony Hawk with online co-op features. The maps look PS1 simplistic is likewise my main issue with it. LIke I said, it can be exaggerated and cartoony, but SOMETHING has to be new and cool and a little nicer looking. If not in the graphics, than in the mechanics of the movement. It looks rushed, low budget, and cheesy (and not in the good, old Tony Hawk way)

You're right, It looks clunky and awkward and kind of like a rehash of some of the last gen Tony Hawk games. Hell, it kind of reminds me of the Ride/Shred games. I guess that's to be expected with Robomodo making it again instead of Neversoft. Activision hasn't really known what to do with this series now for awhile, which is why they haven't tried anything really new other than the gimmick with the skateboard peripheral. Hopefully there's something more to this game though than what the trailer shows. I'm not holding my breath.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 amyh7292

@lensflare15 Yeah the gameplay video I watched almost made it look worse though. Don't get me wrong, I'll play this at some point. But it's definitely going to be a game I buy on sale, months later after I hear a little more feedback from gamers

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

After the Skate series came out and revolutionized console skateboarding games, I couldn't care less about THPS.

I play skateboarding games to skateboard, not to do 2160 degree flips on the Moon.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Yeah I agree... It looks crap. From the moment I saw details of this, I was sceptical. And this trailer confirms my worries I think... I highly doubt this is going to be anywhere near as good as past games. I'd say Activision probably made it on the cheap, and want to suck in all the old hardcore fans of past games to get some quick sales.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 amyh7292

@foxhound_fox can't agree more. While I love Tony Hawk as a game to play with a friend over a beer, it's just not a great skating game. It's more a party game for friends to play together and kill some time when you're bored and laugh at the ridiculous shit you can do. To be honest, they've always been fun but never exactly been "great" games so I can't say I'm surprised this looks shitty

elax92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By elax92
Member since 2009 • 48 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

After the Skate series came out and revolutionized console skateboarding games, I couldn't care less about THPS.

I play skateboarding games to skateboard, not to do 2160 degree flips on the Moon.

Doing 2160 degree flips on the moon is the ONLY reason I play skating games.

But ya, this is disappointing, I loved the originals, and American Wasteland was my all time favorite. Graphic wise they might just be going for a cartoonish style(although they could still make it look stylish while still looking better then this). Although if the park editor lets me make a deathtrap of a skate park I might pick it up. rent it at least.

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

What I hope is that this game is basically identical to Tony Hawk 3, by far the best in the series (except for 2, that one was about as good as 3). I hope they completely ignore every change the franchise made after that point, or at least after 4. The subsequent titles were all hugely inferior to the classic THPS series.

Graphics don't matter at all. Not playing a Tony Hawk game for graphics. I play them for absurdly unrealistic gameplay based around stupidly high scores.

I wouldn't put any Skate game down as even 1/10th as good as a classic THPS game. Skate didn't redefine anything for me, it just made me want the more unrealistic stuff back. Realism is almost always a huge, huge negative when it comes to games. The less realistic, the better.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@amyh7292: Hmm, i have to agree here

From the trailer it looks like early last gen graphics and it´s definitely not something i would even consider buying.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Yea, doesn't really look all that great.

A bit OT, but I wish they'd make a realistic surfing game.

Avatar image for lucianocasanova
lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lucianocasanova
Member since 2014 • 813 Posts

@MirkoS77: But I thought you hated realism.

On-topic: untill the game comes out, then I am not give any thoughts on it right now. LOL at the haters though.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MirkoS77

@lucianocasanova said:

@MirkoS77: But I thought you hated realism.

On-topic: untill the game comes out, then I am not give any thoughts on it right now. LOL at the haters though.

I don't mind realism when it comes to physics, as water physics would benefit the overall gameplay of a surfing game.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

While I wouldn't say that it looks great I wouldn't really say that it looks horrible either. Kind of irrelevant to me either way though as I never had any interest in playing any skateboarding game and likely never will.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox

@MirkoS77 said:

I concur with this and I have never even surfed.

Thatgamecompany would make an excellent one I think.

SakuraBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SakuraBomb
Member since 2015 • 232 Posts

It has never been the same without Neversoft :( R.I.P.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MirkoS77

@foxhound_fox said:
@MirkoS77 said:

I concur with this and I have never even surfed.

Thatgamecompany would make an excellent one I think.

We can dream.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox

@MirkoS77 said:

We can dream.

Man... that would be outstanding.

Throw in some realistic snorkeling and maybe fishing minigames and you'd have the most relaxing game ever made.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MirkoS77

@foxhound_fox said:
@MirkoS77 said:

We can dream.

Man... that would be outstanding.

Throw in some realistic snorkeling and maybe fishing minigames and you'd have the most relaxing game ever made.

And bikini babes too.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@elax92 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

But ya, this is disappointing, I loved the originals, and American Wasteland was my all time favorite. Graphic wise they might just be going for a cartoonish style(although they could still make it look stylish while still looking better then this). Although if the park editor lets me make a deathtrap of a skate park I might pick it up. rent it at least.

Lol exactly. The craziness was part of the fun of the THPS games. Still makes me laugh thinking about holding onto an elephants' tail and being pulled around (think it was THPS 4)... The Skate games were boring to me.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 foxhound_fox

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@elax92 said:

Lol exactly. The craziness was part of the fun of the THPS games. Still makes me laugh thinking about holding onto an elephants' tail and being pulled around (think it was THPS 4)... The Skate games were boring to me.

Now my question is to you both, have either of you actually skateboarded in real life?

Because I think that's the deciding factor to enjoying the Skate games.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hrt_rulz01

@foxhound_fox said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@elax92 said:

Now my question is to you both, have either of you actually skateboarded in real life?

No, definitely not.

I'm not saying the actual skating is better in the TH games, but the games themselves are just more enjoyable overall. To me anyway. If you want more of a realistic skating game, then yes, Skate is better.

elax92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By elax92
Member since 2009 • 48 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@elax92 said:

No, definitely not.

I'm not saying the actual skating is better in the TH games, but the games themselves are just more enjoyable overall. To me anyway. If you want more of a realistic skating game, then yes, Skate is better.

I haven't skateboarded either, mainly because I have the balance of a drunk one legged elephant. but I have tried the skate games(back round when the ps3 first came out I believe) and I do think they are more realistic too. but I like the THPS more, mainly because of the crazy fun.Plus the park editor was a big selling point to me. I don't remember if skate had one, but making lava spiky acid land and then sending each skater to their doom was a big part of my childhood.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#25 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

It needs more... gnarly or something.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

I only know how to ollie and boneless xD. Do I count as a skater? Back on topic though... this looks bad. Really bad. I know they're going for the arcade type of skating game but it doesn't seem to have the flare or craziness that it should have. It's like they're trying to be semi realistic.