Tom McShea reviews Bioshock Infinite. Gives it a 4/10.

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

We were just talking about his reviews in the Beyond thread and realized that it's not Gamespot mandating review scores that go against the metacritic average, it's probably just Tom who has an awful taste in video games.

So just to recap. No gameplay Beyond 9/10. TLOU, Zelda and Bioshock Infinite.... lots of (non-existant) issues with gameplay 8,7.5 and 4 respectively. Awesome!

BioShock Infinite / PC

THE GOOD
Gorgeous visual design
Amazing soundtrack
THE BAD
Tedious, never-ending combat
Story refuses to explore difficult situations the premise presents
Mechanics clash with the narrative
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/bioshock-infinite-a-fan-scorned/1900-6415464/
Bioshock Infinite is a poorly conceived adventure that struggles to form a cohesive whole. By borrowing the core elements of BioShock but never working them properly into the narrative, the action is constantly at odds with the story. Infinite stands as one of the greatest disappointments in my gaming life because I know what Irrational is capable of and could only see the squandered potential of its latest foray. Infinite has a fascinating world, in both visual design and story premise, so it's a shame that its vision falters, shying away from exploring any potentially unsettling plot thread in favor of focusing on choppy action sequences that endlessly drag on. BioShock Infinite is an incoherent mess that fails in both its shooting and its story.Credit Tom McShea
speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

That's a horrible review, I think Tom just wants to have some attention...

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

If I could go the rest of my life without ever reading that name again, I'd be a happier man for it.

Koffdrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Koffdrop
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I've not read the review in full yet. I tried to like this game. I admire its detail and setting but found the shooting mechanics not compelling enough for me to continue playing.

The story, however, I remained interested in. So I simply ended up watching a Lets Play edit of all the story elements and to see how it played out. I think it was pretty smart. Somewhat Shyamalan-esque (try saying that three times quickly!) but, for video-games, pretty smart.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19541 Posts

if he's mainly commenting on the weak gameplay and flimsy story, then a 4/10 doesn't seem terribly wrong - at least in the sense that Bioshock Infinite was arguably 'below average' for the type of game it wanted to be.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#6  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I want to see him review Dark Souls so it can get the 10 it rightfully deserves.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Randolph

@c_rake said:

I want to see him review Dark Souls so it can get the 10 it rightfully deserves.

Given how easily frustrated he gets with some other tougher games, it'd likely go well in the opposite direction.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
@Randolph said:

Given how easily frustrated he gets with some other tougher games, it'd likely go well in the opposite direction.

You'd think, but no. He's been extremely vocal about his adoration for Dark Souls. He brings it up every chance he gets.

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

Haha I saw it and I just lol'd, Tom is trying too hard. Looking forward to his next high profile game review :P

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Half of the criticisms in his review are legit. Half are just him being excessively anal.

I still think that even if the game is saddled in flaws, a 4 is generally reserved for the Duke Nukem Forevers and the like.

But I do like him setting the precedent of

A - vastly disagreeing with the main reviewer in a second take

B - making it okay for a critic to give a low score to a big budget game (which isnt okay today)

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

I'd say it's more like a 7.5 really.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45895 Posts

Please someone give Tom some attention :cry:

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

@drekula2 said:

B - making it okay for a critic to give a low score to a big budget game (which isnt okay today)

I agree.

Personally, this review / score sound about right to me. I haven't played Infinite (and I don't want to), but BioShock is one of the most disappointing games I've ever played.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Love how they posted an objective review about an average game only after they cashed in the advertising money. From now on I guess we'll have to wait 6 months for the actual reviews to come out for overhyped games ;)

The 4.0 score is bullcrap though.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

A 4/10 denotes to me a game that is barely playable. It could have bad camera work, voice acting, glitches, terrible controls, poor level design, bad mechanics, and a myriad of other problems- or perhaps all these problems, and it would qualify to be a game rated so low.

Bioshock Infinite has none of these problems. While I found it certainly didn't live up to the first two (imo) it is in no universe (even infinite ones) that poor of a game.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@GodModeEnabled:

I thought one of the goals of "the new gamespot" was to start using all the numbers on the scale. Under the old rubric, a 4 would be overly harsh, but maybe it means something different here.

In any case, I didn't find myself disagreeing with anything he wrote in the review. The Bioshock games have lacked in character development, their narratives have been overrated, and their themes are presented but rarely explored. On a gameplay front, this series still isn't as fun as Psi-Ops, which offered a similar combination of psionic powers and gunplay near a decade ago. This franchise is all about undelivered potential. I agree with McShea on that.

Avatar image for experience_fade
experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 experience_fade
Member since 2012 • 347 Posts

I don't think I've ever laughed more at a review. Wow.

Just wow.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#19 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

So they're going to start having second opinion reviews? I like the sound of that.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#20 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i can't take this troll serious anymore

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

@GodModeEnabled said:

A 4/10 denotes to me a game that is barely playable. It could have bad camera work, voice acting, glitches, terrible controls, poor level design, bad mechanics, and a myriad of other problems- or perhaps all these problems, and it would qualify to be a game rated so low.

Bioshock Infinite has none of these problems. While I found it certainly didn't live up to the first two (imo) it is in no universe (even infinite ones) that poor of a game.

@drekula2 said:

Half of the criticisms in his review are legit. Half are just him being excessively anal.

I still think that even if the game is saddled in flaws, a 4 is generally reserved for the Duke Nukem Forevers and the like.

@Ish_basic said:

@GodModeEnabled:

I thought one of the goals of "the new gamespot" was to start using all the numbers on the scale. Under the old rubric, a 4 would be overly harsh, but maybe it means something different here.

In any case, I didn't find myself disagreeing with anything he wrote in the review. The Bioshock games have lacked in character development, their narratives have been overrated, and their themes are presented but rarely explored. On a gameplay front, this series still isn't as fun as Psi-Ops, which offered a similar combination of psionic powers and gunplay near a decade ago. This franchise is all about undelivered potential. I agree with McShea on that.

All these comments make me think that dropping scores alltogether is the best way to go. They either show that the score isn't particularly relevant when agreeing or disagreeing with a review, or they point out that what constitutes a fair score is mostly a subjective judgment. Somehow a lot of people can't help but connect numbers to some (in my opinion largely imaginary) objective consensus about what aspects/arguments have more or less weight when scoring a game. People read other people's opinions (at least, that's what I naively assume), some agreeing and some disagreeing and a lot also give their view on what the score should have been (which range from 1 to 10). Shouldn't that alone make every individual aware of the illusion of objective scoring and the utter uselessness (in my opinion) of scores? Tom didn't like the story and some vital gameplay elements. For him that defines a poor game, and he was backed up by (let's just cautiously say) a significant amount of people. Whether his arguments were good or bad is up for debate. Whether his score was correct or not is an absolutely meaningless discussion in my view.

Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts

@c_rake: Ya brotato, dark souls II really needs a 10 over overhyped skyrim trash.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17633 Posts

Haven't played it yet so I can't say much, but as another mentioned, a 4 pretty much signifies problems with a game that renders it nigh unplayable. Haven't heard of any of that from any other reviews.

But... I am enjoying Beyond Two Souls so far!

Either way, you have my attention, Tom! Tom. Tom?

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

While I actually liked Infinite a lot, I actually had a similar feeling he had when playing it. There is way, way too much combat in this game, and it does feel like filler. The game is story-based and tries really really hard to tell a compelling story, but it treats combat like necessary filler. It gives you bits of narrative, then says "here, kill all of these people FOR NO REASON, other than the fact that this is a video game and you need to commit a genocide". Fighting the police and Comstock's army made sense. Every other confrontations were forced and were not convincing at all from a story standpoint. And they weren't even fun.

I felt like I was playing something that was much less interesting than what the developers had in mind. They had a great story in mind, but were limited by their conception of the FPS genre. It's hard to tell a story that makes any sense while your main character is forced to commit a genocide.

And it really doesn't help that the enemies have no AI and that the combat is about on par with FPS from the early 2000s. So what we've left with is a game that has too much combat, and the combat sucks. I ended up looking past these flaws and still enjoying the game, but honestly, about halfway through the game I was already going through every fight thinking "let's get this over with so we can get to the fun parts: the narrative, and exploring the game world looking for clues".

Btw, scores are useless, stop crying about it. Let's make this thread about the text, not the number. Instead of seeing 4/10, you should be seeing "Wasted Potential/10"

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41479 Posts

With this, I wonder what other games are going to get second opinions on. I wouldn't be surprised of SMG2, a 10/10 by Tom McShea, got a lower score by another reviewer (which to be honest, I didn't feel that game was worth a 10/10)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

We were just talking about his reviews in the Beyond thread and realized that it's not Gamespot mandating review scores that go against the metacritic average, it's probably just Tom who has an awful taste in video games.

So just to recap. No gameplay Beyond 9/10. TLOU, Zelda and Bioshock Infinite.... lots of (non-existant) issues with gameplay 8,7.5 and 4 respectively. Awesome!

BioShock Infinite / PC

THE GOOD
Gorgeous visual design
Amazing soundtrack
THE BAD
Tedious, never-ending combat
Story refuses to explore difficult situations the premise presents
Mechanics clash with the narrative
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/bioshock-infinite-a-fan-scorned/1900-6415464/
Bioshock Infinite is a poorly conceived adventure that struggles to form a cohesive whole. By borrowing the core elements of BioShock but never working them properly into the narrative, the action is constantly at odds with the story. Infinite stands as one of the greatest disappointments in my gaming life because I know what Irrational is capable of and could only see the squandered potential of its latest foray. Infinite has a fascinating world, in both visual design and story premise, so it's a shame that its vision falters, shying away from exploring any potentially unsettling plot thread in favor of focusing on choppy action sequences that endlessly drag on. BioShock Infinite is an incoherent mess that fails in both its shooting and its story.Credit Tom McShea

Not sure if thats a joke but a 4 might be a bit too harsh, i would 100% agree with a 6 or 7. But great review and he is right in his "The Bad" conclusions.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jacanuk
@c_rake said:

You should be banned by yourself from this forum for even mentioning Dark Souls and 10 in the same sentence, talk about a more overrated game is not possible :D

adrianjarca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 adrianjarca
Member since 2005 • 63 Posts

I find that Tom is the the most level-headed of all GS's reviewers solely because he seems to be unaffected by hype.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I just want to know when did we start redoing reviews...... Either way I think this was done for attention. A very hyped game, by one of the most controvesial reviewers on the site.....

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#31  Edited By so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

If I was the chief editor at gamespot, I would wonder why he is consistently running against the consensus. Once or twice on major releases is fine, but when the disparity is this chronic, there may be deeper reasons that need to be looked at.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@so_hai said:

If I was the chief editor at gamespot, I would wonder why he is consistently running against the consensus. Once or twice on major releases is fine, but when the disparity is this chronic, there may be deeper reasons that need to be looked at.

He just goes against everyone else when it comes to reviews, i find him to be hipster and sloppy in most of his reviews. That's why i don't read them or take them seriously

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

@speedfog said:

Yep. Pretty much.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jacanuk

@so_hai said:

Yep, because every person is the same and think the same right? Also this is just a 2/3rd opinion of Bioshock, Kevins 9 is still there and stands.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@GiantAssPanda said:

@speedfog said:

Yep. Pretty much.

Been saying that for two years since his Zelda SS review. He dropped the bomb for TLOU review when he stated in the spoiler cast that he though Joel was the worst character ever in a video game AND movie....the look on those other two editors was priceless and to see Tom derp so low.

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts

You do realize he's allowed to have a differing opinion than you, right?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jacanuk

@LordOfPoms said:

You are wrong , people are only allowed to have one opinion and thats what the most vocal majority has.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

@LordOfPoms said:

Yes. But I still think he's craving for attention.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Why do people pay any attention to McShea's reviews? If people stopped drawing attention to them, and thus stop generating hits to his pages, he'll probably stop been an ass. Because that's the thing, a lot of reviews are paid "per view", so every time someone clicks on a review they earn the site and themselves some money, so McShea constantly writes controversial reviews knowing they annoy people and generate more hits and earn him more money. In the words of Admiral Ackbar, "It's a Trap".

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Haven't played it yet so I can't say much, but as another mentioned, a 4 pretty much signifies problems with a game that renders it nigh unplayable. Haven't heard of any of that from any other reviews.

But... I am enjoying Beyond Two Souls so far!

Either way, you have my attention, Tom! Tom. Tom?

I wouldn't say unplayable, more like un-enjoyable, something like Resi 6 which got a 4.5, the game is playable but for me at least, for the few hours I played, it was a frustrating mess of horrible design choices.

As for this review certain points I agree with certain points I don't, I personally found the game enjoyable from start to finish, the gameplay certainly isn't fantastic but it's not bad either, it's in line with something like Spec Ops I'd say. It was only after finishing the game and thinking about it so much that the issues start to arise, whilst the crazy ending is very well done in my opinion (it actually isn't as full of plot holes as most movies that do similar things) the racism aspect and the revolution stuff with Daisy Fitzroy is very badly explored, and the way stuff happens as you move through the city feels so robotic, it doesn't feel alive. Even then it's still a great game just not the super amazing one I felt it was after just finishing it.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Randolph

@drekula2 said:

You didn't read the RE6 review, I take it?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 c_rakestraw  Moderator
@Jacanuk said:

You should be banned by yourself from this forum for even mentioning Dark Souls and 10 in the same sentence, talk about a more overrated game is not possible :D

I should ban you instead for speaking such sacrilege.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Randolph

Dark Souls gives me so many conflicted feels. It's really hard to describe the intense love and the passionate hate I have for that game. I can argue with crake and rag for hours about horrible design decisions in the game, then if someone put it in front of me, I'd play it for hours, raging the whole time AVGN style.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jacanuk

@Randolph said:

Dark Souls gives me so many conflicted feels. It's really hard to describe the intense love and the passionate hate I have for that game. I can argue with crake and rag for hours about horrible design decisions in the game, then if someone put it in front of me, I'd play it for hours, raging the whole time AVGN style.

And you would be right in every single critic of the design in Dark Souls.

But the problem with Dark Souls is that its a ok game for what it is but not more than that.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

haha that puts the GS average for this game @ 6.5 out of 10. :o

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jacanuk

@dvader654 said:

@adrianjarca said:

I find that Tom is the the most level-headed of all GS's reviewers solely because he seems to be unaffected by hype.

So unaffected by hype means your taste in games is complete shit.

Then you are lucky you´re not him and have to play the same games.

And Tom is right in his view on Bioshock Infinite

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

I want Tom Mcshea to review BF4 because I believe he would give that a 4. He seems to appreciate games that are innovative and different, and I think he feels it is wrong that games that are not get all the fame. I think he feels special by hating on these successful and well-known games, and giving some innovative or different titles the high scores even if they are flawed. Just my analysis based on that video, and I am probably wrong

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Lucky_Krystal said:

So they're going to start having second opinion reviews? I like the sound of that.

Me too. Maybe now people will realize that these review scores are nothing more than personal opinion, and they can no longer hold any single person's opinion as some sort of truth.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#50 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

I haven't played Bioshock Infinite, so I can't comment on his review one way or the other. However, it's worth mentioning that Tom McShea doesn't assign the scores to his reviews. He's stated a few times that the other reviewers read his review and then determine the score from that. Make of this what you will.