This topic is locked from further discussion.

derrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

Edited By derrange
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts

I have almost finished Black Mesa, which i did download maybe 2 months ago, but have started maybe a week ago, ye, seriously. An exchange is no more needed, i have played hardcore last 2 months due to my felicity of that. Playing FIFA 14 a lot and The Last Of Us multiplayer.

Black Mesa is a very good remake of an original classic game which gave me a lot of positive impressions already. But that's not a game i want to talk about now.. It's a different game called To the Moon.

This small Indie game touched my feelings so hard, i decided to check it out before going to bed, but I PLAYED ALL NIGHT AND FINISHED IT STRAIGHT. This happened to me for the first time for a very loooong time! This game has no solid graphics, animations, gameplay twicks or something like that. It has an unforgettable story and masterpiece story-telling, awesome dialogs, characters and the best parts of any masterpiece drama ever created.

I highly recommend To the Moon if you want to get lost for ~6 hours and test your feelings and your soul.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

I bought that game this summer in a bundle sale and haven't gotten around to play it. I think you've convinced me to launch it to the top of my to-play list (especially since it only lasts 6 hours, no excuses!)

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I one play session beat it like you a few weeks ago. What a masterpiece. I hope others get to play it...it's cheap, and short. Do it. Unless you are 12...then grow up first. You won't get it.

The ending where they clasped hands broke me down. I couldn't handle it.

I went to youtube rightaway and favorited "For River."

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

It is a unique story that's truly touching and makes you reflect a bit at times, but it also has serious problems. The game design is subpar, the gameplay is extremely simplistic and repetitive, but the worst part is that the writing is very inconsistent. I felt that the "humorous" parts were atrocious and Neil just comes off as a complete douchebag. Even some of the dramatic dialogue is completely unconvincing at times.

Here's my full review for anyone interested.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

I really don't like stories where a weakling is salvaged by means of delusion. The story thus didn't touch me. It just made me sad 'cause many people are like that. They live a worthless life and then start blaming other things like freewill. That the universe would be against me no matter what. Of course it is but a brave man is one that roars even when he's dying.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Thread starter, i recommend The Longest Journey. It's an adventure game just like To The Moon, but with much better gamplay. As for the plot, writting, characters, etc., if To The Moon impressed you, you will be blown away by TLJ, and it will stay in your mind for a long time.

@ReddestSkies said:

I bought that game this summer in a bundle sale and haven't gotten around to play it. I think you've convinced me to launch it to the top of my to-play list (especially since it only lasts 6 hours, no excuses!)

More like 4 hours, that's how long it took me to go through the game in one sitting. It doesn't overstay its welcome, that's a cool thing about the game - the pace is perfect.

I agree that the story is great, but as others have mentioned, the writting is simply sub-mediocre and it doesn't have good gameplay compared to other adventure games. It's definitely worth a playthrough though, i enjoyed To The Moon, and it really did touch some emotional cords.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@Lucianu said:

Thread starter, i recommend The Longest Journey. It's an adventure game just like To The Moon, but with much better gamplay. As for the plot, writting, characters, etc., if To The Moon impressed you, you will be blown away by TLJ, and it will stay in your mind for a long time.

What is longest Journey exactly? I never got to play it. Is it like Grim fandango or something?

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@alim298 said:

@Lucianu said:

What is longest Journey exactly? I never got to play it. Is it like Grim fandango or something?

Yes, it's an adventure game. It's easy to recommend because most of the puzzle solving is logical to figure out and the gameplay is typical point 'n click, it's mostly voice acted aswell (iirc). The writting is good, and the story is great.

Grim Fandango has a much stronger story and script, but it's much harder to recommend because most of the puzzles were practically impossible to solve without the use of a guide and extremely careful pixel hunting.

derrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 derrange
@Lucianu said:

Thanks for the recommendation, i knew about the game, but did not play it yet, even don't know why.

@UpInFlames said:

It is a unique story that's truly touching and makes you reflect a bit at times, but it also has serious problems. The game design is subpar, the gameplay is extremely simplistic and repetitive, but the worst part is that the writing is very inconsistent. I felt that the "humorous" parts were atrocious and Neil just comes off as a complete douchebag. Even some of the dramatic dialogue is completely unconvincing at times.

Here's my full review for anyone interested.

I can agree at some point, but i think you are giving to much shit to an indie game. I really want to see what Freebird games could do with solid budget at their hands.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

@derrange said:

I can agree at some point, but i think you are giving to much shit to an indie game. I really want to see what Freebird games could do with solid budget at their hands.

Well, cutting it some slack wouldn't be fair to other indie games that managed to be absolutely fantastic with a very small budget as well. And I am definitely interested to see what Freebird can accomplish next. To The Moon is a good game, but they really need to up the ante.

I will also join Lucianu and wholeheartedly recommend The Longest Journey. Absolutely fantastic writing, stellar voice acting, believable characters and great point 'n click gameplay to boot. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

derrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 derrange

@UpInFlames:

Thx for recommendation, i will def try The Longest Journey.