Timeless Games you should STILL play.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mstc_Q
Member since 2007 • 1901 Posts

I like Gamespot's reviews. I think the article writers here have a lot of experience and although I don't always agree with them, they save me a lot of money from buying crap.

Rating games is a matter of comparison. Good games and bad games are really relative to eachother. A lot ofreview scorestend to be based on what's come out that year though. It sort of gives the feeling of novelty to games, which is understandable. But I think that there are games that if you haven't played them, you should. This includes games as old as the SNES.

I'd like to see Gamespot do an article on that. "Timeless Games" they could call it, or games "You should still play if you haven't." This should include games that you could play again and still have fun with it even with all the progress gaming has made.

They've probably done it before,and you probably you could link it to me.

That aside though, what do you consider the most timeless games?

Mine are the ones I still keep on my shelf, the rest I've sold to used gamestores.I would note my favorite five:to Metal Gear Solid 1-3, Final Fantasy 6, and Xenogears.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#2 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

I still have a working copy of Chrono Trigger, Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy 7 and 8, Metal Gear 1,2, and Metal Gear Solid 1 2 and 3 and Portable ops. Also Mario 64 and my newest addition to the Classic I'll never sell it series is Mass Effect.

Yes, I'm going to be playing this for a good while now.

Avatar image for Earth_Rave-XIII
Earth_Rave-XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Earth_Rave-XIII
Member since 2004 • 2946 Posts
My top two still stand with Secret of Mana & Super Metroid. I never get sick of those games.
kapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kapp1
Member since 2004 • 1138 Posts
A few of my Classic Games that everyone should still play: -Chrono Trigger -Super Mario RPG -Starcraft -Diablo 2 /LOD -Banjo Kazooie -Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time -Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (highly underrated....as good as if not better than OOT) -Super Mario 64 -Doom -Super Metroid If you haven't had the chance, get out there and find a copy of one of these now.
mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mstc_Q

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (highly underrated....as good as if not better than OOT) kapp1

I agree. I took a two year break from Video games once, came back and tried playing Ocarina of Time for the nostalgia's sake. It turned out that most of my fondest memories from N64 Zelda games actually came from Majora's Mask.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
All timeless games should still be played. That's why they're timeless.
mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mstc_Q

All timeless games should still be played. That's why they're timeless.LordAndrew

Right you are, but I've learned that some people on the internet don't understand english too well.

kdt55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 kdt55
Member since 2004 • 2525 Posts
Street Fighter 2, FF7, Mario Brothers (NES, SNES, N64), Metal Gear Solid, Gears of War, Lode Runner, Lunar The Silver Star, Sewar Shark, Night Trap, Mortal Kombat 2, Secret of Mana, and Earthworm Jim.
NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts

1: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars

Chances are you've never played this game, and chances are you never will. I still consider this the best point-and-click adventure game ever. It has intriguing characters, an interesting plot, the best atmosphere I've ever witnessed in a game and very good game progression. As well as timeless cartoonish graphics.

2. Final Fantasy VII

The gateway drug to jrpgs.

3. Resident Evil: Code Veronica

The best resident evil game in my mind. And I wish more people would understand how awesome it is :cry:

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

There's a lot I can think of but these are probably at the top for me:

--Arcade Classics like Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Dig Dug, Galaga... imo many of them are still fun and always will be
--Super Mario Brothers - Playing it is like a rite of passage
--Mike Tyson's Punch Out - Not only is this game still fun, it's still a complete blast
--Doom - I hadn't played it in over 10 years until playing it again when Doom 3 came out, I was surprised at how fun it still is
--Starcraft - Not sure any game ages as well as this one, although it will be interesting to see the impact on it that SCII has
--Zelda OoT - To me no other game in history got as many things so right as this game did, and it still hits a home run
--Tetris, of course
--Final Fantasy VI would be my pick for old-school RPG everyone should play, I've always felt it was ahead of its time and is still fresh today

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

Just this year I finally completed Planescape Torment, a game from 1999 that even at the time had dated graphics......and it is now my favorite RPG of all time and one of my favorite games of all time.

Graphics get old and outdated, "hip" game features get replaced by newer and better ones every year....but an amazing story never gets old, and Planescape Torment had that in spades.

The Longest Journey is another game that I decided to replay again after all these years, and it's just as enjoyable as the first time I played it back in 2000.

As for releases this year....I can certainly see The Witcher being looked back on years from now as one of those timeless gems in the RPG genre.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time -Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (highly underrated....as good as if not better than OOT) kapp1

I would agree, I enjoyed Majora's Mask just as much as Ocarina of Time.

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
I have a couple of games like that..

Final Fantasy VII
The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy I
Wetall_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wetall_basic
Member since 2003 • 4086 Posts
Fallouts one and two come to mind first and formost,as their graphical style has aged quite well. Then there is Deus Ex,whos story and gameplay,while not very old or anything,will probably be enjoyed for quite some time. Then there is the Lucas Arts adventure games,each one just as enjoyable today,as I assume they where upon release(What? Its a bit before my time as a gamer). Of course you have to throw in the RPG's,and to this day I like to play back through the orginal Bauldur's Gate and its second game.

This is my list,anyway, of games that I'd never get rid of or get tired of for any reason. The list could go on forever though,so I'll leave it at these.
rsiedelmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 rsiedelmann
Member since 2004 • 381 Posts

I recommend X-COM: UFO Defense, Master of Orion, Heroes of Might and Magic II or III, and any game in the Civilization series.

Edit: Add Baldur's Gate II to that list.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
A lot of games on the SNES are pretty damn timeless. Hell, I still play Super Mario All Stars occasionally. Early Playstation games, they haven't aged well due to Sony forcing developers to tread into uncharted waters and invariably screw up.
tequilero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#16 tequilero
Member since 2005 • 9333 Posts
Yes,the SNES is great,I still play games like Actraiser 2 and Demon Crest once in a while.
bacchus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 1

#17 bacchus2
Member since 2006 • 768 Posts

Nostalgia can still be a powerful thing. For someone new to gaming, will these games really impress? It's really hard to say. Pac-man is a really influential game in the history of video games, but I'm not interested in playing it today. I had fun playing the Championship demo from Xbox Live Arcade, but not enough to buy it and play it for more than one session.

I don't know that anyone is really going to want to play Doom after playing the current crop of console or high end PC shooters. Don't get me wrong, it was great, I probably sunk acouple hundred hours into that game and various mods a decade or more ago. But when I played the Xbox Live Arcade demo, something was missing. Maybe using the controller instead of the keyboard was part of it, but it just didn't feel as compelling.

All that said, I've downloaded a few games from the VC or XBLA; Super Mario World and Castlevania : Symphony of the Night being the standouts, and I would recommend them. I think it might be relative to when you started gaming. If you started gaming with the NES, some of the games on the VC might still appeal to you. If you started being a serious gamer this generation, some of those games may look positively ancient to you.

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mstc_Q

Nostalgia can still be a powerful thing. For someone new to gaming, will these games really impress? It's really hard to say. Pac-man is a really influential game in the history of video games, but I'm not interested in playing it today. I had fun playing the Championship demo from Xbox Live Arcade, but not enough to buy it and play it for more than one session.bacchus2

That's the most difficult factor in deciding what is truly "Timeless".

A lot of gamers popped up when the X-Box came out - I don't know if it was the X-Box specifically that did it, but I remember it was around that time that Games started becoming more socially acceptable where I lived. I guess you could say that for some people, Graphics is what got finally got them into gaming; the Cartoonish or 16 bit style just never appealed to them before.

But then again, after they've gotten past the gate,I still think there are probably some old games they'd still enjoy.

I guess a better question is; Are there games that you didn't play when they were in the sunlight, and you fell in love with them now?

MGS2 was like that for me, in spite of all the bad that was said about it, I played it almost five years after it came out and it got me to buy the whole series and even try out the NES versions. (In speaking of the NES versions of that game however, because of the ambiguity of what you need to do next, or even what you can do in some places, I really couldn't reccommend playing them for anything but to see the roots of the game.)

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was another one. It was a long while after that came out that a friend of mine reccomended it to me. Now I have several other Castlevania games as a result. I still wouldn't put it on my list of "Timeless" though because in my opinion, to the denial of all the fans out there, there are many Castlevania games and they are all similar enough that one could easilly replace the other.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts

Here's just a few games I think are timeless:

- Final Fantasy VII

- Xenogears

- Chrono Cross

- Chrono Trigger

- Tetris

- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

- Metal Gear Solid

- Twisted Metal 2

- Parasite Eve

- Resident Evil 2

- Doom

- Quake 2

- System Shock 2

- Half-Life

- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

- Pokemon Red/Blue

- Aliens vs. Predator

- Aliens vs. Predator 2

- Super Mario Brothers 3

- Super Metroid

- Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

- Secret of Mana

- Secret of Evermore

- Sonic 1/2/3

- Final Fantasy I

- Super Mario 64

- Goldeneye

- Perfect Dark

...there are others (believe it or not), but I cannot think of them.

Patrick-Uchiha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Patrick-Uchiha
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
My timeless classics have always been "Secret of mana" and "Super Smash Bros." - i've spent 360 hours on that one :?