Time Warner's Bandwith Cap, A Very Scary Yet Real Possibility

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Time Warner as we speak is exploring the possibility of implementing overage charges for its Roadrunner cable broadband service (and if I'm not mistaken they also own Comcast). What this means is that the users that use a lot of bandwith could see charges, and it also hints what could be implemented in the future. Time Warner is heading down a very slippery slope, where they could start charging all users to pay per bite of bandwith, this affects not only gamers but everyone. Anyway, they confirmed the following memo is real:

The introduction of Consumption Based Billing will enable TWC to charge customer based upon usage, impacting only 5% of subscribers who utilize over half of the total network bandwidth.

The trial in the Beaumont, TX division will apply to new HSD customer only, will provide a destination for customer to track usage for each month and will enable customers to upgrade from one tier to the next to avoid payment of overage charges. Existing and new subscribers will have tracking capability, however only new subscribers will be charged incrementally for bandwidth usage above the cap.

Following the trial, a determination will be made as to whether or not existing subscribers should be charged. Only residential subscribers will be impacted. Trial in Beaumont, TX will begin by Q1. We will be testing technical backend as well as Marketing and Messaging to customers. We will use the results of the trial to evaluate results for possible future nationwide rollouts

Linkage

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

I'm not completely against this idea. I'm on a cable connection and if a there's 10 particular people in my area eating up bandwidth and making me slower they should be paying a premium. Now I do think it needs to be noted exactly what qualifies to be a user "using a lot of bandwidth," but I'm for the idea in theory. Businesses should always be free to charge more for their services if they think it is justified.

It's actually being practiced in several other areas. Some airlines are charging fat people for 2 seats on their flights. And Sprint PCS has actually gone so far as to terminate service to customers who are deemed "problematic" and spend too much time with their help centers (something like 2% of their customers take up 20% of their callcenters time).

hempforvictory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 hempforvictory
Member since 2006 • 261 Posts
Wow how much more greedy can one company get. They are already charging me $47 for internet isn't that enough. I'm sure if they begin doing this rates won't decrease for people who use little bandwith. This is really going to negatively impact the spread of knowledge. I'm sure universities are probably the highest users of bandwith around.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

I'm not completely against this idea. I'm on a cable connection and if a there's 10 particular people in my area eating up bandwidth and making me slower they should be paying a premium. Now I do think it needs to be noted exactly what qualifies to be a user "using a lot of bandwidth," but I'm for the idea in theory. Businesses should always be free to charge more for their services if they think it is justified.

It's actually being practiced in several other areas. Some airlines are charging fat people for 2 seats on their flights. And Sprint PCS has actually gone so far as to terminate service to customers who are deemed "problematic" and spend too much time with their help centers (something like 2% of their customers take up 20% of their callcenters time).

Robio_basic

I don't know if I am completely against the idea in of itself, like if I didn't think it could lead to something that would affect all users.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I'm completely against this. This is just another way for them to reach their greedy corporate hands into our pockets.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

This doesn't belong here.