THQ back from the dead?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Link

Back in late 2012/early 2013, THQ notably filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, leaving a liquidation of its assets to sell many of its remaining big franchises, like Darksiders and Homefront, to other studios and publishers for their use.

Though the publisher as it previously stood may no longer exist, there is still hope that we may see the THQ brand live on (in name only), as publisher Nordic Games has purchased the rights to use the company’s trademark. Nordic Games revealed in an interview that the company’s purchase of the brand will allow the studio to use THQ’s name on released titles, with the intention being that THQ has a much bigger profile and reputation than their own, much smaller studio.

Nordic Games lead Klemens Kruezer mentioned on the acquisition of the THQ name:

“The challenging fact is nobody has ever heard about Nordic Games before [the THQ auction]. There were so many articles with the headlines ‘Who the **** is Nordic Games?’ We said, okay they were right.”

“We are small team. The expectations from outside regarding the IPs of THQ are really high. We see it everyday on our Facebook sites. If we post something new to a project the first comments are, ‘Oh, nice. But what about Darksiders 3?’”

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Oh yeah I heard about that.... Thats nice but when are they gona get started on Darksiders ?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Last_Ride

Darksiders belongs to Crytek

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

Back in late 2012/early 2013, THQ notably filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, leaving a liquidation of its assets to sell many of its remaining big franchises, like Darksiders and Homefront, to other studios and publishers for their use.

Though the publisher as it previously stood may no longer exist, there is still hope that we may see the THQ brand live on (in name only), as publisher Nordic Games has purchased the rights to use the company’s trademark. Nordic Games revealed in an interview that the company’s purchase of the brand will allow the studio to use THQ’s name on released titles, with the intention being that THQ has a much bigger profile and reputation than their own, much smaller studio.

Nordic Games lead Klemens Kruezer mentioned on the acquisition of the THQ name:

“The challenging fact is nobody has ever heard about Nordic Games before [the THQ auction]. There were so many articles with the headlines ‘Who the **** is Nordic Games?’ We said, okay they were right.”

“We are small team. The expectations from outside regarding the IPs of THQ are really high. We see it everyday on our Facebook sites. If we post something new to a project the first comments are, ‘Oh, nice. But what about Darksiders 3?’”

Seems like a good call to get the THQ name, particular when Nordic games despite its name has nothing to do with the Nordic region and also noone know who they are despite their good games

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

This is actually a good strategy for getting their names and games out there but I can imagine confusion will erupt to the consumers if this goes through. Also, other than having a more recognizable name on their box (which is not even that known like EA ) it doesn't really give them anything else they might really need like macfuarting costs and shipping. Sorry if I'm all over the place as I am doing this over my phone the mobile version is quite good.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk: Yeah, the name is up for grabs

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Next gen MX Vs ATV is going to happen, but first we will get the SX game made of the levels that where meant for Alive.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Last_Ride

Didn't they also buy some ip's from THQ? I remember them buying some ip's from THQ

SaintsRowLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 SaintsRowLA
Member since 2013 • 331 Posts

@The_Last_Ride:

That's great. Everyone will know that's it's not THQ, but the popularity of the name and the associations that THQ carries with it will be there for.

The same happened for Crown books when it went out of business. Some small book chain in San Diego, CA, USA bought the name with the logo. It wasn't the same type of bookstore, but the name recognition is there. (I think the second iteration of Crown Books no longer exists.)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Last_Ride

@SaintsRowLA said:

@The_Last_Ride:

That's great. Everyone will know that's it's not THQ, but the popularity of the name and the associations that THQ carries with it will be there for.

The same happened for Crown books when it went out of business. Some small book chain in San Diego, CA, USA bought the name with the logo. It wasn't the same type of bookstore, but the name recognition is there. (I think the second iteration of Crown Books no longer exists.)

True, hardcore gamers will know it, but casuals might actually end up buying this stuff

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

@The_Last_Ride

Casuals buy DarkSiders and Mx vs ATV ? Its abit of a stretch don'tya think so ?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Last_Ride

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@The_Last_Ride

Casuals buy DarkSiders and Mx vs ATV ? Its abit of a stretch don'tya think so ?

No, i meant when they see the THQ name, they might buy it because of the name

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

oh yeah... Sure. But I can't think of any their games that casuals are familiar with.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

I don't like the idea of them trying to fool less informed gamers. It happens so much these days but it's still weird how they are so upfront about it.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

Its just a name. Lets see them put out some quality content first and then we will talk.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

@mattykovax said:

Its just a name. Lets see them put out some quality content first and then we will talk.

i was thinking the same, it's just a name