Those of you who are used to playing jrpgs only, if you were told to play a wrpg which would you play?

completeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By completeboy
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts

right now playing skyrim, i am overwhelmed, got bored in oblivion but skyrim is better, 3rd person view is playable and game feels better even just exploring around and combat is good enough.

but i still am just not getting used to play a wrpg

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hmm, WRPG , never heard that used before.

But there are tons of good RPG games out there and also many that has kinda the same feel to it as J-RPG´s

Fallout, Mass Effect, Metal Gear, "GTA" "Sleeping Dogs" , Final Fantasy etc. etc..

So i guess i would try those

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@completeboy:

I play both either way so it wouldn't really be much of a difference. Maybe some Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Witcher or even Mass Effect. It's all good!

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

One of my first was the first Baldur's Gate. It is very different from the SKyrim games but it is fun to play and the Enhanced Edition are out there.

MAss Effect 1 is a good RPG but the 2nd and 3rd are noit really RPG.

completeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 completeboy

i forgot to mention that i did tried original witcher, dragon age origins and dragon age 2

finished dragon age 2 as the other two were not played much further, witcher's combat is bad, but i am so interested in playing part 2 and 3 once i get an xboxone or ps4, i was very far into dragon age origins but due to lack of directions after ozarmmar quest i gave up.

wrpgs seem to have better story and world but lacks quality battlesystem and at times characters.

Avatar image for jaysummonsdemons
Jaysummonsdemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Jaysummonsdemons
Member since 2016 • 82 Posts

I play mostly JRPG's but some WRPG's too lol. I prefer jrpg but for west I'd play fallout 4 only because I finished skyrim.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#7 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I played Fallout 3 ( which is theo nly one that I finished ), then tried Skyrim and The Witcher 3 ... and they bored me to death. The open world nature of those game killed any possibilites of an epic main story. Too many useless side quest.

Final Fantasy XV while it appears to be open world it isn't. There is a lot of hidden wall or very high montain so you can't go everywhere on the map and the story line, well near the end it is really good, many part are very linear like all other FF. But it suffer from stupid side quest.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

these terms are killing me.

I think JRPGs, I think Final Fantasy. But the other day someone was like "Dark Souls is a JRPG!" and I'm like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!?!?!"

Then I hear WRPG and I think well that's a new term but I guess they mean dungeons and dragons type stuff (Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, etc), but then people mention Fallout 3 and Skyrim and I'm like "No no no those are action RPGs, you might as well call them FPS-RPGs!"

How about going forward we just call them turn-based RPGs (formerly JRPGs), and action-RPGs? Why do we have to get all region-specific, that's kind of bogus.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I'm with you - there aren't enough clear lines between those terms for them to be useful. I've always used cRPG to refer to infinity-engine style games and games like grimrock, but the other day I brought it up in a conversation and someone yelled at me that Souls are cRPGs because they are on PCs and the 'c' stands for computer. Based on your anecdote, the Souls games are also JRPGs. So depending on who is yelling at us on here, Souls games are aRPGs, wRPGs, JRPGs, cRPGs.

You know what? It's all bullshit. Plain and simple. The games should be referred to by the style of gameplay, not whether the developer is from one country or another or whether it has a port on PC or not.

Lets start a movement towards better, more precise RPG subgenre labels!

completeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 completeboy

it is due to open world and tons of side quest that the western rpgs loses main focus, that being said it can be fun exploring on and on.

i have not played a game where i have reached 100 hours let alone cross it and i am playing video games since i was like 6-7.

regarding witcher 3 in particular and the series, i am highly impressed by its varied weather, i think it presents european weather precisely, also i love forest / jungle settings

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

these terms are killing me.

I think JRPGs, I think Final Fantasy. But the other day someone was like "Dark Souls is a JRPG!" and I'm like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!?!?!"

Then I hear WRPG and I think well that's a new term but I guess they mean dungeons and dragons type stuff (Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, etc), but then people mention Fallout 3 and Skyrim and I'm like "No no no those are action RPGs, you might as well call them FPS-RPGs!"

How about going forward we just call them turn-based RPGs (formerly JRPGs), and action-RPGs? Why do we have to get all region-specific, that's kind of bogus.

Well JRPG and WRPG are just the common terms used here and other places. It does not matter if you would like them to be changed.

I like to break RPG into three type: combat focus, quest focus and action RPG. Combat focus is the game that focus on combat like the turn base games and also many of the final fantasy like FF9. Quest focus RPG are rpg that focus on completing quest and the like they have skill and talent outside of combat and can have quest where combat does not happen. Action RPG are the meh that focus on action.