Things gamers shouldn't complain about

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

What do you think gamers shouldn't complain about?

#2 Posted by my_name_is_ron (5549 posts) -
The real world
#3 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

Freedom of Choice in games and optional missions / stuff

Seriously, I've seen people on GS complaining that it would be BETTER without FULLY OPTIONAL Choices or extra side missions o_O

Also, they shouldn't always say "I think it's better when...." or "I would have done it so and so" when talking about game ideas / gameplay elements. Just because YOU would like it doesn't mean the broad mass would like it.

#4 Posted by Namgis (3572 posts) -

Games not being overly mainstream. You think things are 'casual' now, just imagine if video gaming was as big as any idevice. The hobby is still considered to be one for the 'lonely, introverted and kids'.

-
Yearly sequels. Someones buying a sh!t ton of them, so of course the powers that be are going to keep the conveyor moving.

-

Devs. Most people here blame the dev team for every little f'n thing. While they're at fault some of the time on a terrible game, who's telling them what to do? Take SP games that incorporate MP into them. Then said MP is 'awful' or 'boring', devs get the full brunt of criticism. Do you think they wanted to make a subpar quality experience? Or take more time to ensure it's working properly? Or maybe, the publishers said, "this online multi-player thing is really big huh? We should put that in our game too! It'll sell like mad. Get on that." They're also the ones rushing projects so as to meet some ridiculous made up deadline.

#5 Posted by skooks (1411 posts) -

Call of Duty.

#6 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

Not having a wide variety of genres to pick.

#7 Posted by planetjumper (638 posts) -

violence

fps genre

graphics

#8 Posted by Grieverr (2642 posts) -

Graphics.

I mean, come on, compare today's stuff to the games even as recent as the last gen. Let alone the "32-bit" era. There would be more time and money for a better game experience if devs didn't have to put so many resources on graphics.

#9 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25597 posts) -
The cost of games which are actually cheaper than 10-15 years ago while dev costs are much higher.
#10 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

"the game looks really good, but i don't think it's long enough to justify my purchase."

there was a surprisingly good article on IGN a little while back on why gamers evaluate video games like light bulbs. i was amused.

#11 Posted by Apocalypse324 (1486 posts) -

Trophies/achievements...seriously if you like them awesome...if you dont, STFU and ignore them...they dont hurt the game...just give others something else to do

#12 Posted by MadVybz (2797 posts) -

Opinions.

Or at least, well justified opinions.

#13 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6955 posts) -

Trophies/achievements...seriously if you like them awesome...if you dont, STFU and ignore them...they dont hurt the game...just give others something else to do

Apocalypse324
A billion times this.
#14 Posted by Canvas_Of_Flesh (4052 posts) -
Complaining about the length of a game. That's not to say they don't have a right to complain if a game was released unfinished (007 Legends) or if, maybe, the game is a little too long and it throws off the pacing (Resident Evil 4, in my opinion). Complaining about how expensive games are when absolutely no one is forcing you to purchase them on day one. I hardly ever purchase games on their release day anymore for numerous reasons and I end up saving a fair chunk of money.
#15 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -
Why in the world would anyone suggest that people should pay their hard-earned money for a product and then not express their honest opinion of it - positive or negative? That just boggles my mind.
#16 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6955 posts) -
Why in the world would anyone suggest that people should pay their hard-earned money for a product and then not express their honest opinion of it - positive or negative? That just boggles my mind. Jackc8
People are calling NFS Most Wanted trash because it doesn't have car customization or a cockpit view. That's not an "honest opinion". That's stupidity.
#17 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

Gamers shouldn't complain about stuff gamers complain about.

#18 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

The FPS genre just because there are a lot of them. You don't like FPS games? Don't play them.

#19 Posted by klusps (10381 posts) -

Texture quality is something I really don't understand why gamers complain about. As long as the overall graphics quality looks fine I'm usually satisfied but most of the time I don't realize bad texture quality until someone bring it up.

#20 Posted by applesxc47 (10761 posts) -

Small game delays, because at least the damn thing is getting finished to standard.

#21 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]Why in the world would anyone suggest that people should pay their hard-earned money for a product and then not express their honest opinion of it - positive or negative? That just boggles my mind. speedfreak48t5p
People are calling NFS Most Wanted trash because it doesn't have car customization or a cockpit view. That's not an "honest opinion". That's stupidity.

Well, stupidity or unability to express their opinion I'd say.

#22 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

Too many cut scenes- serious this is the most stupid complaint I've ever seen. CS are apart of the story in a video game, not only story but it is also a form of a "loading screen" on most games that are pretty big.

Too many FPS- FPS is still a "growing" genre compared to a lot others who've been around a lot longer. There has been only two genres that I can think of that are actually younger then the FPS genre and that is MOBA and dance/music genre. Outside of Doom,Wolfenstein,Duke Nukem and a few arena FPS the genre was pretty much none existent in the 90's compared to JRPG's and action games that just ran rampant in the 90's.

#23 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

First person shooters. I know there have been a lot lately, but there are still a million other great games that aren't FPSs. When people claim that FPSs and COD are cancers killing the industry, I giggle.

And if you're American, prices. Australia and Europe have it way worse, AND they get less games. In addition, if you wait a little bit, games can be pretty cheap after a while. Yesterday, I just picked up Borderlands GOTY edition, Demon's Souls, and Bayonetta, and the price totaled up to $64 (the cost of a new game plus tax). There is no need to throw down $60 right away for one game. Few hobbies are free and patience is a virtue.

And it just makes me angry when people start saying certain companies should go out of bussiness for trivial reasons.

#24 Posted by AzatiS (7280 posts) -

TransformerRobo
Hmm , nice question. I think they shoudlnt complain when they playing 100% free games like java/flash games , mmorpgs etc etc... Playing for free and whine for everything is ... funny! :)
#25 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

Ok but...

...the day we stop complaining is the day we give up our freedom :P

#26 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

Ok but...

...the day we stop complaining is the day we give up our freedom :P

Justforvisit

I don't mind people complaining if it actually has depth or meaning, needlessly complaining gets old fast lol.

#27 Posted by MadVybz (2797 posts) -

Too many cut scenes- serious this is the most stupid complaint I've ever seen. CS are apart of the story in a video game, not only story but it is also a form of a "loading screen" on most games that are pretty big.

Ballroompirate

That is a valid complaint, at least in my opinion. Long cutscenes and loading times bring game flow to a screeching halt. Considering that people like myself buy video games for interactivity first and story second, removing control from the player for extended periods of time just to give a few pointers or to fill me in on what's going on is a bad thing, and even more so if it's frequent.

In video games there is such thing as too much exposition because it sacrifices the whole game part of a video game if it's done strictly through cutscenes. Games like Metroid Prime and Dark Souls did it right: an interesting story with a good amount of lore to keep a player interested, but are not shoved down your throat by boring cinematics. Rather, the story unfolds by exploring the environment, and picking up bits and pieces of information during your adventure. It's also notable that Prime had no loading screens at all and Dark Souls had very little as well.

#28 Posted by 8-Bitterness (3707 posts) -
Misogyny in gaming, jesus christ I'm so sick of these loser women that haven't made a single contribution to gaming other than "HEYxD Im G3MER GURL" really, and I don't even wanna get started on the women devs that haven't ever made s*** yet still complain. Of course theyre a minority (thankfully) and most girls in games are cool and all, but the ones whining about all this stuff, well, f*** you. Also think people shouldn't complain about gaming going digital. Also goddamn storyline and graphics, they're GAMES, if you wanted movies well s***, you picked the wrong hobby.
#29 Posted by MarkAndExecute (105 posts) -
Gamers need to stop with the "game developers focus too much on graphics and not enough on gameplay" crap. Its complete nonsense not to mention a dumb generalization because I can name at least a dozen games off the top of my head that have both.
#30 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

TransformerRobo

Complaining gamers.

#31 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

Bad graphics. This is a BIG one. Gamers have become so over-demanding. They won't glance at old games. Some of the gamers I know will judge a game based on its graphics. They look at PS2 games and think the visuals are abysmal. Which is flat out not true. I'm still impressed by PS2 graphics today. It provided us with ENOUGH detail. Why do games have to be photo realistic? The way a game looks doesn't determine how much fun it is. Don't judge a book by its cover. I thought this was a lesson we all learned as kids.

Difficulty. Games should provide a challenge. If it doesn't, then what's the point? What fun is a game where it's like: "press A and you win."? Games are getting easier and easier. So when games provide more of a challenge, people sometimes complain about it because they're used to games holding their hand.

Bad endings. (I'm looking at you gamers butthurt over the Mass Effect 3 ending.) If the game as a whole is fun, why does the ending matter so much? It's one minor part of an overall good game. From what I've seen, the ending it good. But nooooo, it's not PERFECT. "There was no feeling of accomplishment" they say. You played a video games for hours on end...YOU ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! It's Bioware's game, NOT YOURS. They can end it however THEY want it to. You have every right to hate the ending, but don't act entitled to a different ending.

Girl gamers who "complain" about being treated as not a "real" gamer. When I say they "complain," I mean they make sh*t up for attention. They think they're entitled to special treatment because they're a girl and they play video games. They love to flaunt: "Yeah I'm a girl, and I indeed enjoy playing video games unlike most girls." Oh great, here's a fvcking trophy. *sarcasm*

#32 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

Things gamers shouldn't complain about:

• Bad/Dated graphics
  • Bad/Mediocre story
  • The FPS genre

Sort of off topic but things that gamers should be complaining about instead:

• Games valuing story over gameplay
  • Biased, bribed and inconistent reviews
  • Series/genre destroying games

#33 Posted by o0squishy0o (2754 posts) -

About other gamers complaining. How you can justify taking someones freedom of speech to say "I do not like such and such" is crazy. There is nothing that a gamer shouldn't complain about.

Its the only way the industry can grow if you have people who say "i dont like this so lets do this". Saying "oh you shouldn't complain about graphics, is like saying to hollywood, dont invest in special effects and lets go back to 1980s effects", graphics are so vastly important to games that of course people should complain or else they wont advance. Its not the gamers fault if the developer can not make a game good enough to distract the gamer away from purely focusing on the graphics.

People will moan about any and everything. You can choose to ignore, but to take it away is just silly.

#34 Posted by MrGeezer (56128 posts) -
Bad graphics. This is a BIG one. Gamers have become so over-demanding. They won't glance at old games. Some of the gamers I know will judge a game based on its graphics. They look at PS2 games and think the visuals are abysmal. Which is flat out not true. I'm still impressed by PS2 graphics today. It provided us with ENOUGH detail. Why do games have to be photo realistic? The way a game looks doesn't determine how much fun it is. Don't judge a book by its cover. I thought this was a lesson we all learned as kids.GeoffZak
In all fairness, videogames sort of fit the category of "visual arts", and presentation matters. That's not to say that graphics are everything, but if a game's graphics are well below the accepted standard then it's a valid complaint. Hell...should we stop complaining about horrible CGI in movies too?
#36 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Oh,this is gonna be good....

1.Whinning like little b*tches cause Capcom,or any company,changed this or that franchise(DmC is NOT the original DMC,we are NOT in 2001 anymore,get over it,you're the most annoying fanbase i've ever seen in recent years,or atleast one of them).

2,B!tching after they got what they want,or after a game that proves to be what the makers wanted it to be(I.e. complaining that SotC or TLoZ SS have empty worlds - they are SUPPOSED to be like that!!!).

3.The difficulty of modern games being greatly reduced.(there are exceptions)

4.Graphics,really? why complain about THAT? :S

5.That the girl star/stars don't have big t!ts.Lolwut? are you serious dude?

#37 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -
They shouldn't complain about other gamers complaining about games. That's about as stupid as complaining about gamers praising a game/company.
#38 Posted by mariomaster16 (762 posts) -

[QUOTE="TransformerRobo"]

capaho

Complaining gamers.

Gamers complaining about complaining gamers.

#39 Posted by Magnol49 (458 posts) -

I've always enjoyed the complaint, "Upcoming Game X (usually an FPS) doesn't have multi-player!" Usually accompanied by a vehement "WILL NOT BUY!"

Because there aren't a billion multi-player FPS games out there or anything.

#40 Posted by Zassimick (6343 posts) -

I've gotta go with the complaint, or more the statement, that games should not focus on story and it is stupid that they do. I hear it often. Although games may not have as strong of stories as a book does it doesn't mean that there just shouldn't be a story. The industry is still very young and developers are still trying to figure out the best way to tell a story within a game as well as have a story strong enough to support the gameplay that a game requires. The industry is growing but when there are those people who say games shouldn't focus on story and storytelling I hope they realize how much those thoughts hold the industry back.

Bad graphics. This is a BIG one. Gamers have become so over-demanding. They won't glance at old games. Some of the gamers I know will judge a game based on its graphics. They look at PS2 games and think the visuals are abysmal. Which is flat out not true. I'm still impressed by PS2 graphics today. It provided us with ENOUGH detail. Why do games have to be photo realistic? The way a game looks doesn't determine how much fun it is. Don't judge a book by its cover. I thought this was a lesson we all learned as kids.

Bad endings. (I'm looking at you gamers butthurt over the Mass Effect 3 ending.) If the game as a whole is fun, why does the ending matter so much? It's one minor part of an overall good game. From what I've seen, the ending it good. But nooooo, it's not PERFECT. "There was no feeling of accomplishment" they say. You played a video games for hours on end...YOU ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! It's Bioware's game, NOT YOURS. They can end it however THEY want it to. You have every right to hate the ending, but don't act entitled to a different ending.

Girl gamers who "complain" about being treated as not a "real" gamer. When I say they "complain," I mean they make sh*t up for attention. They think they're entitled to special treatment because they're a girl and they play video games. They love to flaunt: "Yeah I'm a girl, and I indeed enjoy playing video games unlike most girls." Oh great, here's a fvcking trophy. *sarcasm*

GeoffZak

All of these, especially the last one.:lol: I have a few female friends who are like that and it doesn't help when there are a couple male friends who then promote them as "girl gamers" and then they think they are of a higher class because they are friends with a "girl gamer." One of my biggest pet peeves. :lol:

#41 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -
Playing as a girl, opposed to a man. Their pixels, who gives a shi-
#42 Posted by wiouds (5065 posts) -

That something will hurt a game developers artist integrity. They use artist integrity as a get out of jail free card not matter how bad the developer screw up.

Complaining about the reasonable dislike of the ending of Mass Effect 3. When one of the worse written, lazy ending hurts three games as a whole then it should be called out.

#43 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -
Playing as a girl, opposed to a man. Their pixels, who gives a shi-TrainerCeleste
That's what I think but go and tell that to the shopkeeper who gave me a dirty look when I got the Tomb Raider Trilogy
#44 Posted by chilly-chill (8902 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jackc8"]Why in the world would anyone suggest that people should pay their hard-earned money for a product and then not express their honest opinion of it - positive or negative? That just boggles my mind. speedfreak48t5p

Game is still a massive disappointment.
#45 Posted by DarkGamer007 (6024 posts) -

Misogyny in gaming, jesus christ I'm so sick of these loser women that haven't made a single contribution to gaming other than "HEYxD Im G3MER GURL" really, and I don't even wanna get started on the women devs that haven't ever made s*** yet still complain. Of course theyre a minority (thankfully) and most girls in games are cool and all, but the ones whining about all this stuff, well, f*** you. Also think people shouldn't complain about gaming going digital. Also goddamn storyline and graphics, they're GAMES, if you wanted movies well s***, you picked the wrong hobby.8-Bitterness

Could you please define what you mean by "loser women" who go "HEYxD Im G3MER GURL"? I've never ran into one of these types of women, and even if they did exist what difference does it make? I don't see you making a counter point against men who go "HEYxD Im G3MER GUY!". As for your point, or lack there of, is completely unfounded because women developers have helped to create numerous games. Why is it a good think that women are a minority in the video game industry? I don't think that is a good thing at all, and Misogyny is a problem in the video game industry when it quite frankly shouldn't be. It is twenty goddam twelve. Women exist. Women play video games. Women deserve the same recognition and respect that men get. Get over your misogyinistic view point, it does nothing by stereotype people who play video games as immature children that cannot be taken seriously.Also this.

#46 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -
Complaining that completely optional things, like other difficulty modes are added in. "Then other people can just play the game on easy and not have to play it the 'real' way." Why should you care?
#47 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -

[QUOTE="8-Bitterness"]Misogyny in gaming, jesus christ I'm so sick of these loser women that haven't made a single contribution to gaming other than "HEYxD Im G3MER GURL" really, and I don't even wanna get started on the women devs that haven't ever made s*** yet still complain. Of course theyre a minority (thankfully) and most girls in games are cool and all, but the ones whining about all this stuff, well, f*** you. Also think people shouldn't complain about gaming going digital. Also goddamn storyline and graphics, they're GAMES, if you wanted movies well s***, you picked the wrong hobby.DarkGamer007

Could you please define what you mean by "loser women" who go "HEYxD Im G3MER GURL"? I've never ran into one of these types of women, and even if they did exist what difference does it make? I don't see you making a counter point against men who go "HEYxD Im G3MER GUY!". As for your point, or lack there of, is completely unfounded because women developers have helped to create numerous games. Why is it a good think that women are a minority in the video game industry? I don't think that is a good thing at all, and Misogyny is a problem in the video game industry when it quite frankly shouldn't be. It is twenty goddam twelve. Women exist. Women play video games. Women deserve the same recognition and respect that men get. Get over your misogyinistic view point, it does nothing by stereotype people who play video games as immature children that cannot be taken seriously.Also this.

First, there are no guys who say "HeyxD" whatever, because a guy pointing out that he is male to other gamers is unnecessary, since the majority of them are going to be males (though that varies typically genre by genre). I may be incorrect, but I think Bitterness is referring to those "fake nerd girls" you linked to with his comment. Secondly, can you actually cite anything suggesting that "misogyny" is a common problem in the game development industry? Because just saying "Well only XX% of all developers are females" doesn't mean that there's misogyny, it could mean that there aren't as many women who go into game design as men (which is the case). If you're not talking about the development aspect and just online gamer guys dismissing any female player that joins a match or something, then yeah, I'd agree it would be best if they didn't dismiss her just because she is a woman. But if she doesn't actually play well, it's not sexist for them to not want to play with her.

While I feel it's obvious that Bitterness has issues and said a lot of incorrect things, your points weren't significantly better than his.

#48 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

As long as they're paying customers they have a right to complain about whatever they want, however small and stupid it might be.

#49 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70684 posts) -
i don't think people really shouldn't really complain about graphics
#50 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73596 posts) -
"X system has no games!" The only time someone should be complaining about not having anything to play is if they're constantly playing games 24/7. At that point, they need to go outside.