Thief PS4: Have you played it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Thief for the PlayStation 4 is much different than the original PC games. In Thief and Thief 2, the perspective is third person. In the newest Thief, players control Garret from his point of view.

It is not bad. It reminds me of Dishonored quite a bit because of the point of view, stealth, and the ability to acquire many things in the game world. Thief is more to my liking because Garret is not an assassin. Instead, he prefers to avoid battles which is a worthwhile philosophy to act out.

It did not get very high scores, but there is value in keeping this game.

What are your thoughts?

Edit: I mean Thief: Deadly Shadows NOT Thief 1 and 2

Years have passed since I played Thief: Deadly Shadows. My mistake.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@BranKetra said:

Thief for the PlayStation 4 is much different than the original PC games. In Thief and Thief 2, the perspective is third-person. In the newest Thief, players control Garret from his point of view.

The Thief series has always been in First person. It is one of the reasons why it is so praise.

Thief: The Dark Project (Thief 1)

Loading Video...

Thief 2: The Metal Ages

Loading Video...

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

To answer the Original question, I haven't played the new Thief game yet. I probably won't ever play in the near future as I already have too many games on my plate.

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

Thief series always was first person so i don't know where did you get that info
I have played the newest Thief on PC and i don't know why the hate because the game is very enjoyable (gameplay is great)

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By branketra

That is simply incorrect. I am thinking about Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19566 Posts

The only Thief game with a third person view was Thief 3: Deadly Shadows. It was optional, and annoying.

Anyway, Thief 2014 is merely okay. It's completely mediocre compared to the rest of the series.

The developers of the new one didn't have a clue about how to make a great stealth game. Why were there so many obligatory "You got caught! Run!" set pieces, mission after mission?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By branketra

@Planeforger said:

The only Thief game with a third person view was Thief 3: Deadly Shadows. It was optional, and annoying.

Anyway, Thief 2014 is merely okay. It's completely mediocre compared to the rest of the series.

The developers of the new one didn't have a clue about how to make a great stealth game. Why were there so many obligatory "You got caught! Run!" set pieces, mission after mission?

Right. Considering the graphics of that game, it was more presentable than in first person. That said, Thief PS4 is not bad, but optional third person is something Thief is better with. I started a couple nights ago, so please do not spoil it.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Its not a horrible game. Just average.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

It didn't quite hit the mark. Some cool moments in the asylum, but beyond that, it was eh. A shame.

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

@BranKetra said:

well i never played Deadly Shadows so i don't know

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Thief 4 had its strong points (I loved the swoop mechanic and the full body immersion), but it really stripped the game clean of what it made so great. In the early Thiefs, the player had tools and the ability to decide where and how to use them. You could shoot a rope arrow into any wooden beam, for example. People would find ingenious ways of using the environment and tools to meet objectives. In the new thief, this is all decided upon by the developer.

"Look here! We placed a glowing piece of wood at this spot, you're now able to use a rope arrow! Thank us later."

Freedom was gone, a complete regression. The player had to play the game the way the designer intended and that's %100 not what Thief ever was about. While playing, I had to wonder if the devs had even played the originals, much less held clues as to what made them so great. Placing pre-scripted markers in the environment (telling you when you could climb or use certain items) was a HORRIBLE design decision. It turned a series that was once about freedom into one of restriction.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#12 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I played the new Thief. It was a bad experience. Being directed to your objective is not how a Thief game is usually played, which is to travel to your current objective by utilizing your environments in creative ways. It took too many unnecessary cues from Dishonored, which last time I checked was inspired by Thief. Also, I didn't like Garrett's new personality, the AI was amazingly stupid half the time, and the sound design was HORRID!

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By branketra

@rekthard said:

@BranKetra said:

well i never played Deadly Shadows so i don't know

There are YouTube videos about it.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19566 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

I played the new Thief. It was a bad experience. Being directed to your objective is not how a Thief game is usually played, which is to travel to your current objective by utilizing your environments in creative ways. It took too many unnecessary cues from Dishonored, which last time I checked was inspired by Thief. Also, I didn't like Garrett's new personality, the AI was amazingly stupid half the time, and the sound design was HORRID!

Actually, scrap everything else I said about the game. This^ is by far the worst thing about Thief 2014.

Sound is all important to the Thief series. It has always featured incredible sound design. There's never any music - just vibrantly atmospheric ambient noise. Just about everything in the games had a distinct sound, which was important since you largely relied on sound rather than sight. At any given moment, you could work out where all of the nearby guards were, purely from the sound of their mutterings, their footsteps on different surfaces, whether their voices are muffled or clear, etc. Not to mention the heart-stopping clanging your own footsteps made on tiled surfaces.

Cut ahead to Thief 2014. Music blares over everything during scripted sequences. The directional sound is completely broken (distant characters sound like they're yelling in your ear). Guards interrupt their own monologues to repeat their monologues, sometimes having the same conversation multiple times simultaneously. Most of the atmosphere is gone. Footsteps...aren't noticeably different depending on the surfaces?

Ugh.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10434 Posts

@Planeforger said:

@mastermetal777 said:

Actually, scrap everything else I said about the game. This^ is by far the worst thing about Thief 2014.

Sound is all important to the Thief series. It has always featured incredible sound design. There's never any music - just vibrantly atmospheric ambient noise. Just about everything in the games had a distinct sound, which was important since you largely relied on sound rather than sight. At any given moment, you could work out where all of the nearby guards were, purely from the sound of their mutterings, their footsteps on different surfaces, whether their voices are muffled or clear, etc. Not to mention the heart-stopping clanging your own footsteps made on tiled surfaces.

Cut ahead to Thief 2014. Music blares over everything during scripted sequences. The directional sound is completely broken (distant characters sound like they're yelling in your ear). Guards interrupt their own monologues to repeat their monologues, sometimes having the same conversation multiple times simultaneously. Most of the atmosphere is gone. Footsteps...aren't noticeably different depending on the surfaces?

Ugh.

overhearing conversation clearly one minute, then taking a single step backwards and have it completely disappear was crazy. complete atmosphere killer. can't believe it wasn't picked up on during testing. just one of the many, many things wrong with that game