There is no more polish in video games anymore

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

Ill keep this short. The last polished game i played was Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It had almost zero bugs, and did not require a patch to fix anything. There were no graphical or AI bugs and it pretty much was perfect out of the box. I havent played a truly polished game before that in years. All game companies now treat patches as if they can extend dev time after release. That is not how it should work. I dont even have to list the amount of games that had issues out of the box and required a patch (you know what they all are). Why am i waiting for DICE 2 months after the release of BF3 to fix mic issues, and graphical hiccups? Why does Skyrim run like ass on my ps3 after months? Why does Red Dead Redemption have a sh!tload of bugs on releas that lasted for more than a month? Last gen we never had these issues. All games worked 99% perfectly out of the box because devs knew that they couldnt just patch those issues. As a result of the ability to patch games, devs are not pyaing attention to polish. What do you think?

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

Yes, I know someone from Poland and he is greatly offended by the lack of his ethnicity being represented in games.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#3 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I don't remember RDR having bugs..

But play Arkham City, no bugs at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Portal 2 and SWTOR are both very polished. It seems there's more of a reliance on patches, but there's way more games coming out too so it may just make it seem worse proportionally.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

You have to know where to look. Generally speaking though, the more a game tries to do the more likely bugs will surface. That's why glitches are more common in open world games. Everything Nintendo makes and Rcksteady's games are good examples of polished products

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Deus Ex polished? I remember hearing about problems that needed the patch to fix with that game.

In general, the more complex games are getting, the more bugs they're going to have. Granted, some developers are better than others at doing the most polish before shipping the game, but it's absurd to think that any developer out there can find each and every bug in their coding.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Nintendo.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44107 Posts
I really haven't come across any bugs or glitches that have ruined a game's overall appeal to me so it's not something that has bothered me too much. Games have become more complex so I'm pretty understanding and tolerant as far as patches are concerned.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#10 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Yes, I know someone from Poland and he is greatly offended by the lack of his ethnicity being represented in games.

TheFallenDemon

Hahaha, oh my.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Last gen almost nobody had their consoles hooked up to the internet, so post-release patches weren't an option. Those games had bugs though.

But yeah, it is getting ridiculous now. I don't see it getting any better - Skyrim sold what, 10 million copies? I wouldn't look for Bethesda to give a damn about game testing any time soon. I just buy my games a year or so after launch when they're nice and cheap and fully patched.

Krayzie_3334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Krayzie_3334
Member since 2006 • 1303 Posts

:P

-

Deus Ex: HR didn't have alot of bugs but It did have a few, the one that locked your camera too floor level and having to reload a save is quite annoying.

Mortos13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 Mortos13
Member since 2010 • 304 Posts

Dude, games will always have bugs in it. Personally, i hated Deus Ex HR but it had little bugs and glitches in it. Now, Vanquish, imo, was a prefect game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Go play some SNES games and try saying that again. Even some of the most highly regarded games from that era are packed full of bugs and glitches. Hell, some like Super Metroid are actually better because of them (they allow for greater sequence breaking, which is highly valuable to speed runners). Games of today are extremely well-polished. You are looking at them through pink-goggles. Or just playing all the really bad ones.
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Gears of War 3 and Portal 2 beg to differ.

alexLmx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 alexLmx6
Member since 2008 • 736 Posts

I think the only people who have a right to complain are people who have made a AAA game that works 100% how they want it to 100% of the time. Find me some of these people and I'll mow your lawn for a year, or vaccuum your rugs if you live in an apartment, or mop your floors if you don't have rugs. However, if you are unable to locate this race of uber developers, you must wear comically large dentures and nerd glasses for a year. Wanna take the deal?

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

Ill keep this short. The last polished game i played was Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It had almost zero bugs, and did not require a patch to fix anything. There were no graphical or AI bugs and it pretty much was perfect out of the box. I havent played a truly polished game before that in years. All game companies now treat patches as if they can extend dev time after release. That is not how it should work. I dont even have to list the amount of games that had issues out of the box and required a patch (you know what they all are). Why am i waiting for DICE 2 months after the release of BF3 to fix mic issues, and graphical hiccups? Why does Skyrim run like ass on my ps3 after months? Why does Red Dead Redemption have a sh!tload of bugs on releas that lasted for more than a month? Last gen we never had these issues. All games worked 99% perfectly out of the box because devs knew that they couldnt just patch those issues. As a result of the ability to patch games, devs are not pyaing attention to polish. What do you think?

BossPerson

Deus ex: Human Revolution was also a very boring and meh game.

WeempWomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WeempWomp
Member since 2011 • 59 Posts

TheFallenDemon

Dohoho, looks like we got a funny guy. ^_^

evilgamer22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 evilgamer22
Member since 2009 • 2408 Posts

I think its a combination of things. Games are becoming larger and more complex (like Skyrim) which increases the odds of glitches and this is understandable. No developer can catch every single glitch before release, especially in games as large as RDR or Skryim. At the same time I do feel that some developers are relying too heavily on post release patches and maybe aren't putting enough work into weeding out problems before the game hits shelves. Either way glitches are just a part of gaming and is something everyone has to put up with. To be honest some of my most memorable gaming moments were glitches so personally I don't want any game to be completely 100% polished.:P

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

I don't remember RDR having bugs..

ristactionjakso
I do. One cutscene glitched up and made a bridge that was supposed to blow up disappear entirely, leaving the undetonated explosives in mid-air. During the course of the cutscene, it glitched from "No bridge" to "Fully intact bridge" to "Destroyed bridge". Also had a weird post-game bug where the HUD disappeared and button prompts wouldn't work or come up, effectively trapping me inside a taxi coach.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

TheFallenDemon
Someone had to make this joke. It had to be done *nod*
Avatar image for juliankennedy23
juliankennedy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#22 juliankennedy23
Member since 2005 • 894 Posts

TheFallenDemon

My thought exactly why do the Italians get all the main characters.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

juliankennedy23

My thought exactly why do the Italians get all the main characters.

Because we're prettier.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

TheFallenDemon

Came here to say that, god damn you :(

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Play The Witcher 2. Everyone in that game is Polish.

(Also it's a fairly polished game)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
Deus Ex polished? Are you joking? It's got to be one of the more unpolished games I've seen. You want to see polished, look at Batman AC or AA.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#27 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i honestly think its funny that pretty much any valve game has a full coat of polish on it and valve themselves have the ability to issue an automatic update at their own discretion through steam. its odd how that works. anyways, i agree. i hate playing a game on day 1 (whether its single or multiplayer) and on occasion have to wait for a patch of some sort due to a gamebreaking bug or flurry of smaller bugs that just make the game completely unenjoyable. the developers think there's no need for a game to be bug-free and completely functional due to this new patching craze, but they are sadly mistaken.
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts
Deus Ex polished? Are you joking? It's got to be one of the more unpolished games I've seen. You want to see polished, look at Batman AC or AA. MirkoS77
How is DX:HR unpolished?
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

TheFallenDemon
This is pretty much what I thought upon reading the title.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
There are dozens upon dozens of games being released without much in the way of bugs.
ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ReviewerDrake
Member since 2011 • 805 Posts

Day 1 patches do kind of bother me but if its going to make my gaming experience better I can wait the extra 2-5 minutes for the patch to download.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]Deus Ex polished? Are you joking? It's got to be one of the more unpolished games I've seen. You want to see polished, look at Batman AC or AA. Am_Confucius

I don't know if you're playing on the PC or not, but when I played it on the 360 it suffered from FR drops, blurry textures and break-up.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

[QUOTE="Am_Confucius"][QUOTE="MirkoS77"]Deus Ex polished? Are you joking? It's got to be one of the more unpolished games I've seen. You want to see polished, look at Batman AC or AA. MirkoS77

I don't know if you're playing on the PC or not, but when I played it on the 360 it suffered from FR drops, blurry textures and break-up.

That's not the game being unpolished, those are just typical console-problems. And the developers made it clear that it was developed for the PC in first hand.
Priapus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Priapus101
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

Any title from Nintendo, Valve or Blizzard has unbelievable polish but in exchange longer time spans between releases. Bioware and Epic titles are not too shabby either from my experiences.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

That's completely bulls***. There is polish in videogames. Ever play Rayman Origins? You should. I constantly hear nothing but positive, great things about that platformer. If that isn't polish, I don't know what is! Also, the 80s and 90s had a ton of videogames that offered PLENTY of polish. And there was a lot of polished games within the last ten years, like Metroid Prime, for instance. As far as Deus Ex HR goes, I can't say for certain if there is or not. I need to get around to playing that...

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

[QUOTE="Am_Confucius"][QUOTE="MirkoS77"]Deus Ex polished? Are you joking? It's got to be one of the more unpolished games I've seen. You want to see polished, look at Batman AC or AA. MirkoS77

It's fine on the PS3, one of the more polished games i've played this year.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts

Its not true that games generally lack pollish , just that some do.

If I play a game like this years Space Marine, I can tell you that it lacks pollish. If I play a game like Uncharted 3, I can tell you that it does not.

Updates and patches are a curse on the gaming industry, I very much agree with this. Day one updates are not needed and are the result of missed deadlines or pushed out games. Ive played many games this year with day one patches, and its a sorry state of affairs.

That being said, I think perhaps if a public beta trial for the game is still running after the discs have been printed then its just about excusable. Just.

Ill also way in on the DE:HR bits. Im playing this on the PS3 now, and it is impecable. No frame rate staggers at all, the game is highly pollished and admitedly far, far better than I was expecting it to be.

p.s - I actually had do google the spelling to be sure I wasnt talking about polish people :P