The XBOX : spiritual successor to the Dreamcast

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I took advantage of a sale at a local media store and bought a ton of XBOX games that I've been putting off buying for some time (they were $2 each, it doesn't get much cheaper then that). Among them were many games developed and published by Sega (Sega GT 2002, Jetset Radio Future, Crazy Taxi 3, Gunvalkyrie). While testing out the Sega GT/Jetset combo disc on my XBOX, there were also a ton of video previews for games published by Sega that were coming soon for the XBOX back then. While watching some of these previews I could help but think that in many ways, the XBOX carried the torch that would have otherwise been held by the Dreamcast had it not gone bellyup in 2001. What I mean by that is that many of the Sega games on the XBOX would have been released on the Dreamcast (and many were, like Jetset and Shenmue II in other regions). I just couldn't help but feel like the XBOX is in many way the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast given its saturation of games that would have otherwise been on the Dreamcast. I know that Sega released a lot of other exclusive and non-exclusive games on other systems throughout last gen, however the ones that were exclusive to the XBOX seem to carry that Dreamcast asthetic while others don't. What are your thoughts on this?

I've recently come to really appreciate the XBOX's library of games, especially the more obscure titles, and this realization has made me enjoy it even more.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
in some ways it was, in others it wasn't sega was really great at supporting the xbox and xbox live was an evolution of the dreamarena but the xbox was very shooter focused, something which the dreamcast was not
TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 TheSacredFlame
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

Didn't Sega have some hand in the development of the Xbox? Considering the controllers have similar looks to them?

Anyways, I love the Xbox and the Dreamcast. I only wish that I had more games for them both.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shenmue_Jehuty

in some ways it was, in others it wasn't sega was really great at supporting the xbox and xbox live was an evolution of the dreamarena but the xbox was very shooter focused, something which the dreamcast was notrilpas

I know it had a lot of shooters, and in no way do I believe Halo would have ever come out for the Dreamcast if it had survived longer, but I'm mostly saying that it became a surragate system for most of the games that would have otherwise been on the Dreamcast.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shenmue_Jehuty

Didn't Sega have some hand in the development of the Xbox? Considering the controllers have similar looks to them?

Anyways, I love the Xbox and the Dreamcast. I only wish that I had more games for them both.

TheSacredFlame

That's another thing, the controller. It is very similar to the Dreamcast's, it's almost like an evolved Dreamcast controller. I'm not sure of Sega did however have anything to do with the XBOX, would be interesting if someone could give us some info on that though.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="rilpas"]in some ways it was, in others it wasn't sega was really great at supporting the xbox and xbox live was an evolution of the dreamarena but the xbox was very shooter focused, something which the dreamcast was notShenmue_Jehuty

I know it had a lot of shooters, and in no way do I believe Halo would have ever come out for the Dreamcast if it had survived longer, but I'm mostly saying that it became a surragate system for most of the games that would have otherwise been on the Dreamcast.

I completely agree with what you're saying. A lot of great Sega games or series that started on Dreamcast that continued on the XBox. Panzer Dragoon: Orta, Shenmue II, Sega GT 2002, Project Gotham Racing, Jetset Radio Future, Unreal Championship 2, Crazy Taxi 3, House of the Dead III, Gunvalkyrie, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Mega Collection Plus. I'm sure they all would have been Dreamcast games if the plug had not been pulled on the console.

And the XBox controller really was an evolution of the Dreamcast pad. It's basically the same controller with the added extra black & white buttons and with the oh-so-needed 2nd thumbstick.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

It had strong support from Sega, but it didn't really have a Dreamcast-like feel overall.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Im almost positive that both the Dreamcast and Xbox share the same directors in the US.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shenmue_Jehuty

It had strong support from Sega, but it didn't really have a Dreamcast-like feel overall.

Bubble_Man

I would completely disagree, especially the games released by Sega. I could totally see Panzer Dragoon Orta being on the Dreamcast had it survived another year.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#10 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I've always thought this too, actually. I agree with pretty much everything you said and what was said about the controller. It's a pity both the Dreamcast and the XBOX didn't get as much support as they deserved like the PS2 did.
amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

[QUOTE="TheSacredFlame"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

That's another thing, the controller. It is very similar to the Dreamcast's, it's almost like an evolved Dreamcast controller. I'm not sure of Sega did however have anything to do with the XBOX, would be interesting if someone could give us some info on that though.

I recall reading a few years back that the guy who designed the Dreamcast controller also designed the XBox controller, hence the uncanny resemblance. I'm assuming he went over to Microsoft after the Dreamcast launched, and with permission from Sega, used the same layout. So yes, indirectly (and willingly), Sega did help Microsoft with the XBox. I agree with the connection too, OP. I always felt the XBox was essentially the Dreamcast reborn. Sega's good relationship with MS in that time span only solidified it.
Meeeper282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Meeeper282
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

Well they both did flop, so i know where your comming from

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shenmue_Jehuty

Meeeper282

I think an explaination is due if you actually think the XBOX flopped. Let's hear it.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]in some ways it was, in others it wasn't sega was really great at supporting the xbox and xbox live was an evolution of the dreamarena but the xbox was very shooter focused, something which the dreamcast was notShenmue_Jehuty

yep, it was a surrogate system, heck a lot of Sega's staff were eventually hired by microsoft including Bernie Stolar, then CEO of Sega of America

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rilpas

Meeeper282
this isn't system wars, take it somewhere else
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#16 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]in some ways it was, in others it wasn't sega was really great at supporting the xbox and xbox live was an evolution of the dreamarena but the xbox was very shooter focused, something which the dreamcast was notrilpas

yep, it was a surrogate system, heck a lot of Sega's staff were eventually hired by microsoft including Bernie Stolar, then CEO of Sega of America

Stolar left before the Dreamcast's US launch I think , I think the person your are refering to was Peter Moore , who later ended up working for EA after leaving Microsoft. just remember that the PS2 did get Virtua Fighter 4 , which was a huge game , especially in Japan , so the Xbox didn't get everything, the dilemma for Sega was that despite the Xbox being a very nice system (easy to work with too, or at least the architecture was not new) , the system itself didn't do well at all in Japan , a core market for Sega obviously.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Darkman2007

Stolar left before the Dreamcast's US launch I think , I think the person your are refering to was Peter Moore , who later ended up working for EA after leaving Microsoft. just remember that the PS2 did get Virtua Fighter 4 , which was a huge game , especially in Japan , so the Xbox didn't get everything, the dilemma for Sega was that despite the Xbox being a very nice system (easy to work with too, or at least the architecture was not new) , the system itself didn't do well at all in Japan , a core market for Sega obviously.

ah right, I was thinking of Peter Moore, my bad

what did happen to Stollar after he left Sega?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"] yep, it was a surrogate system, heck a lot of Sega's staff were eventually hired by microsoft including Bernie Stolar, then CEO of Sega of America

rilpas

to be honest, I have no idea. he did work at Sony prior to working at Sega , and was involved in one way or another with the early PS1 launch and such.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#19 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

There is something similar in feel to the DC and Xbox to me, might just be those big old controllers though. They were also both the most focussed on online play for their respective times. (They were both the same generation but the state of the internet was way different when Xbox was released than when DC came out.)

On a related note, Sega did some of its best work on other consoles after they dropped out of the console business themselves. Their Xbox lineup has been discussed but look at their lineup on GBA has tons of really great games as well.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Microsoft was a part of the Dreamcast. They provided the OS and helped with the On-line. The Dreamcast is kinda in a way the first trail run of the Xbox.

So yep the Original Xbox is the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I can see the connections here...

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts

Meeeper282
Sold more than the gamecube.
Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts
[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

Kaszilla
Sold more than the gamecube.

I agree, the Xbox is like the DC 1.5
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

It got quite some Sega games but in terms of hardware I don't really see the connection.

Plus Sega was not it's exclusive developer (they made PS2 and GC games too).

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shenmue_Jehuty

It got quite some Sega games but in terms of hardware I don't really see the connection.

nameless12345

yes, the hardware is very different, and yes both the PS2 and GC got their own Sega games too, but the ones released on the XBOX had that Dreamcast asthetic while many of the ones released on the other 2 systems did not. I can't imagine games like Yakuza being a Dreamcast game, however I could see Otogi being a Dreamcast game.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

yes, the hardware is very different, and yes both the PS2 and GC got their own Sega games too, but the ones released on the XBOX had that Dreamcast asthetic while many of the ones released on the other 2 systems did not. I can't imagine games like Yakuza being a Dreamcast game, however I could see Otogi being a Dreamcast game.

But GC got the most Sonic games and Virtua Fighter 4 (Evo) was exclusive to PS2.

I otherwise agree Sega was most creative on Xbox (Otogi, Panzer Dragoon Orta, OutRun 2, Sega GT 2002, ect.).

I've heard MS even wanted to buy Sega at the time (they buyed Rare instead which I regret *a lot*).

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

But GC got the most Sonic games and Virtua Fighter 4 (Evo) was exclusive to PS2.

I otherwise agree Sega was most creative on Xbox (Otogi, Panzer Dragoon Orta, OutRun 2, Sega GT 2002, ect.).

Well, there was only 2 Sonic games on Dreamcast. And XBox got plenty of Sonic games anyways: Sonic Heroes, Sonic Riders, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Mega Collection Plus.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Emerald_Warrior

Well, there was only 2 Sonic games on Dreamcast. And XBox got plenty of Sonic games anyways: Sonic Heroes, Sonic Riders, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Mega Collection Plus.

True, however Sonic Adventure DX and Adventure 2: Battle were GC exclusives (besides also having the games you mentioned).

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
Sega probably wanted to support the up and coming console so that it could fare against the PS2 and Gamecube, which come from companies that are already well renowned.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

The controller of the Xbox is another thing. It's a blatant rip off of the Dreamcast controller.

It's funny how all the Sony haters were up in arms over Sony somewhat copying the SNES controller design, but when Microsoft comes along and blatantly copies the Dreamcast controller, nobody says a thing.

(Yeah, some people actually think the PS1 controller is a rip off of the SNES controller. It SOMEWHAT resembles the SNES controller, but I think those people were reading too much into it.)

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

True, however Sonic Adventure DX and Adventure 2: Battle were GC exclusives (besides also having the games you mentioned).

Yeah, but they were already on the Dreamcast. Which wouldn't make them games that would have been on the Dreamcast had it survived, because they're already there.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shenmue_Jehuty

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Emerald_Warrior

Yeah, but they were already on the Dreamcast. Which wouldn't make them games that would have been on the Dreamcast had it survived, because they're already there.

Yes, exactly! There are so many XBOX games that I could have totally seen a release for had it survived longer. All the Sonic games that came out for the XBOX and other consoles are a given obviously.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
That's the impression the Xbox had on me when I first laid eyes on it. The console for example looked like a big black dreamcast and it's controller was almost identical to that console. And all of those Sega titles that were released for the first few years.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Emerald_Warrior

There was a very mysterious absence of a lot of Sega's big franchises on the Dreamcast. If some of those were paid attention to, I think the system might have lasted a little longer. Popular franchises like Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Virtua Cop, and Golden Axe.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#35 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Adventure DX is on PC.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Darkman2007

There was a very mysterious absence of a lot of Sega's big franchises on the Dreamcast. If some of those were paid attention to, I think the system might have lasted a little longer. Popular franchises like Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Virtua Cop, and Golden Axe.

Emerald_Warrior
I think Sega tried to reinvent itself somewhat with the Dreamcast (it does have a "out with the old, in with the new" vibe to it) , going away from the supposidly bad and unpopular Sega to a more likeable new Sega. maybe thats why they didn't give their old franchises too much time. although Virtua Cop 2 did come out on the Dreamcast, though its a port of the PC version (wheres the Saturn version was a port of the original arcade)
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nintendoboy16

Adventure DX is on PC.

PC doesn't count when we talk about consoles.

For example FFVII and MGS were still PS1 exclusives at the time despite getting ported over to the PC too.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rilpas

The controller of the Xbox is another thing. It's a blatant rip off of the Dreamcast controller.

It's funny how all the Sony haters were up in arms over Sony somewhat copying the SNES controller design, but when Microsoft comes along and blatantly copies the Dreamcast controller, nobody says a thing.

(Yeah, some people actually think the PS1 controller is a rip off of the SNES controller. It SOMEWHAT resembles the SNES controller, but I think those people were reading too much into it.)GeoffZak

take it to system wars

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

I feel like I'm in a minority group of people when I say that the Xbox is one of the greatest consoles ever, and a powerful one too.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rilpas

I feel like I'm in a minority group of people when I say that the Xbox is one of the greatest consoles ever, and a powerful one too.

NirdBerd
I think it depends on whether or not you have a gaming PC if you don't have one, then yes, I agree, it's one of the best
Avatar image for DreamStation360
DreamStation360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DreamStation360
Member since 2012 • 33 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"] yep, it was a surrogate system, heck a lot of Sega's staff were eventually hired by microsoft including Bernie Stolar, then CEO of Sega of America

rilpas

Hopefully he died. His poor decisions were a major part of the reason the Saturn failed so miserable in the US. He felt that Japanese role playing games would not do well in America so the majority of them were never released here.

On topic though to me, Xbox and 360 are the successors to the Dreamcast. That's why I went from the dc to the Xbox.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] Stolar left before the Dreamcast's US launch I think , I think the person your are refering to was Peter Moore , who later ended up working for EA after leaving Microsoft. just remember that the PS2 did get Virtua Fighter 4 , which was a huge game , especially in Japan , so the Xbox didn't get everything, the dilemma for Sega was that despite the Xbox being a very nice system (easy to work with too, or at least the architecture was not new) , the system itself didn't do well at all in Japan , a core market for Sega obviously.DreamStation360

Hopefully he died. His poor decisions were a major part of the reason the Saturn failed so miserable in the US. He felt that Japanese role playing games would not do well in America so the majority of them were never released here.

On topic though to me, Xbox and 360 are the successors to the Dreamcast. That's why I went from the dc to the Xbox.

thats.....pretty harsh......
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] Stolar left before the Dreamcast's US launch I think , I think the person your are refering to was Peter Moore , who later ended up working for EA after leaving Microsoft. just remember that the PS2 did get Virtua Fighter 4 , which was a huge game , especially in Japan , so the Xbox didn't get everything, the dilemma for Sega was that despite the Xbox being a very nice system (easy to work with too, or at least the architecture was not new) , the system itself didn't do well at all in Japan , a core market for Sega obviously.DreamStation360

I'm pretty sure that's moddable offense

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
Honestly, The Xbox was more like a spiritual successor to the Apple/Bandi Pippin. I know that sounds odd, but that's what the xbox ended up doing was definitely the direction that the Pippin was attempting to head. Unfortunately a combination of bad marketing, overpricing and general lack of games pushed the pippin into obscurity early on, but I would say the original xbox really built off a ton of it's features.