The use of the word "rape" pt.2

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

Worrying about if words are being misused is one of the quickest and surest ways of wasting your life.

It doesn't matter. Let people say what they want.

Anomaly1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Anomaly1989
Member since 2014 • 31 Posts

@BranKetra said:

@Jacanuk: Parents and guardians are a major factor, but to only speak of them might be considered as an ignoring of adult users who suffer from cyberbullying and mental conditions. The most terrible issue about bullying is that it is not prevented, but also ignoring the bullies is a lacking answer and the same can be said for removing victims from digital environments because they are not the same as tangible ones.

@HipHopBeats: The best thing that a person can do is report the issue that is a bother which is what this thread is about. People like @trollop_scat may be in a state of seemingly adamant denial currently, but there is a noticeable change going on in which people are speaking, writing articles about, and discussing the fact that enough is enough. Website administration and game companies have taken notice and are in favor of changes.

Telling someone to "get raped" after winning a round of online multiplayer, making a female uncomfortable simply because of her gender, and a variety of other comments are not stimulating in any way other than righteous indignation. To be proud to be on the wrong side in those situations is an interesting idea. Anger can be a strong motivator and to welcome that challenge is respectable. At the same time, excess shows a lack of self-control and typically the best players do not need to talk like that which is in part because they know other masters. Doing so can result in a sense of camaraderie. Otherwise, the very idea that it is stimulating in a likeable sense is sadistic of those who do it and masochistic of those who wish for a continuation of it.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am for competition. My favorite memories of video games regardless of how family friendly (Super Smash Bros.) or gory (Gears of War) are of events in which we had uplifting rather than denigrating experiences. I also know that uncouth talk is meant to disrupt a person or team's logical thinking and make it more emotional and thereby controllable. As I already said, though, that tactic is collectively used in excess and leads to people getting reported and banned which is why I will suggest now that @trollop_scat be more mindful of what he or she types in the future. With a broader scope, it is also why people become depressed and commit suicide because they believe their goals can be attained no longer. If the most uncouth of users could do everyone a favor and change their behavior, our social environments would be much better. In the event that request is not acknowledged, they can isolate themselves to private rooms.

I think trollop_scat is a perfect example of WHY something must be done. He makes jokes about getting raped and getting AIDS, not caring at all that some people really DO get raped and get HIV and then turn to video games for therapy.

I myself use video games for therapy. It works better than any shrink on the planet, if you don't have to deal with people who have evil hearts and seek to be predatory towards others. In fact, I don't even use shrinks to deal with the traumas I have experienced (I have never been raped, but have been shot at and lost friends while I was young, including my best friend growing up. I have also never seen a therapist for any of this, and video games were always my main way to escape thinking about things). What I find interesting is that people who have had to deal with real life situations dealing with the more extreme forms of violence and evil on a regular basis are actually less likely to act like him - on average.

Sometimes, what someone says online can be what sets someone who has experienced things like this over the edge. Sometimes it leads to suicide, or leads to the person using drugs to numb the pain. They are, after all, playing the games to escape the evil they have had to deal with. Not to be reminded of it every time someone scores a point or w/e in the game.

I think people who say things like that should be banned from "clean" servers after a warning. Many parents don't let their kids play video games online simply because of stuff like this, and all in all I believe if companies start banning people who are over the top with their trash talk (thoroughly disregarding the reality of being a human in a world like this one) - the gaming industry will make much more money. Simple put a warning box at the log in and put it in the EULA that you will be banned from both competitive and "clean" servers if you engage in the behavior.

Not only that, but it would generate jobs. There would be a need for people who can monitor the recordings and address reported issues. More profit + job creation + online video games being accessible to people who were raped for therapy = WIN for everyone except the most evil of people.

People talk about freedom - well these companies are free to generate jobs, make more money, and make their product a viable therapeutic tool. It is only logical. This would certainly guarantee, from what I have experienced, many shrinks would be willing to recommend online gaming to their patients if the environment that permeates them were "cleaner." Video games have been indispensable in my own healing, and certainly in that of many others who would prefer not to speak about it.

Thank you for your input.

I was looking to address the issue of the word "rape" among many gamers and how it has affected the gaming industry. People tried to turn it into a thread about everything BUT that, but I think most of them are trying to justify their own evil actions in an attempt to avoid holding THEMSELVES accountable for what they have done and how it may have affected people.

Anomaly1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Anomaly1989

@garywood69 said:

Worrying about if words are being misused is one of the quickest and surest ways of wasting your life.

It doesn't matter. Let people say what they want.

I am not worried about people misusing words. Misusing a word is like saying "your" when you should have said "you're" instead. The things people say online are different from real life. In real life, there are repercussions. Being fired, arrested, beat up, or even potentially shot tends to deter people from saying things that are said online.

This is different because I view video games as one of the most valuable therapeutic tools, and I believe that this function of online gaming is more important than any other function it has. So yes, it does matter. I disagree.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#54 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@anomaly1989 said:

@BranKetra said:

@Jacanuk: Parents and guardians are a major factor, but to only speak of them might be considered as an ignoring of adult users who suffer from cyberbullying and mental conditions. The most terrible issue about bullying is that it is not prevented, but also ignoring the bullies is a lacking answer and the same can be said for removing victims from digital environments because they are not the same as tangible ones.

@HipHopBeats: The best thing that a person can do is report the issue that is a bother which is what this thread is about. People like @trollop_scat may be in a state of seemingly adamant denial currently, but there is a noticeable change going on in which people are speaking, writing articles about, and discussing the fact that enough is enough. Website administration and game companies have taken notice and are in favor of changes.

Telling someone to "get raped" after winning a round of online multiplayer, making a female uncomfortable simply because of her gender, and a variety of other comments are not stimulating in any way other than righteous indignation. To be proud to be on the wrong side in those situations is an interesting idea. Anger can be a strong motivator and to welcome that challenge is respectable. At the same time, excess shows a lack of self-control and typically the best players do not need to talk like that which is in part because they know other masters. Doing so can result in a sense of camaraderie. Otherwise, the very idea that it is stimulating in a likeable sense is sadistic of those who do it and masochistic of those who wish for a continuation of it.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am for competition. My favorite memories of video games regardless of how family friendly (Super Smash Bros.) or gory (Gears of War) are of events in which we had uplifting rather than denigrating experiences. I also know that uncouth talk is meant to disrupt a person or team's logical thinking and make it more emotional and thereby controllable. As I already said, though, that tactic is collectively used in excess and leads to people getting reported and banned which is why I will suggest now that @trollop_scat be more mindful of what he or she types in the future. With a broader scope, it is also why people become depressed and commit suicide because they believe their goals can be attained no longer. If the most uncouth of users could do everyone a favor and change their behavior, our social environments would be much better. In the event that request is not acknowledged, they can isolate themselves to private rooms.

I think trollop_scat is a perfect example of WHY something must be done. He makes jokes about getting raped and getting AIDS, not caring at all that some people really DO get raped and get HIV and then turn to video games for therapy.

I myself use video games for therapy. It works better than any shrink on the planet, if you don't have to deal with people who have evil hearts and seek to be predatory towards others. In fact, I don't even use shrinks to deal with the traumas I have experienced (I have never been raped, but have been shot at and lost friends while I was young, including my best friend growing up. I have also never seen a therapist for any of this, and video games were always my main way to escape thinking about things). What I find interesting is that people who have had to deal with real life situations dealing with the more extreme forms of violence and evil on a regular basis are actually less likely to act like him - on average.

Sometimes, what someone says online can be what sets someone who has experienced things like this over the edge. Sometimes it leads to suicide, or leads to the person using drugs to numb the pain. They are, after all, playing the games to escape the evil they have had to deal with. Not to be reminded of it every time someone scores a point or w/e in the game.

I think people who say things like that should be banned from "clean" servers after a warning. Many parents don't let their kids play video games online simply because of stuff like this, and all in all I believe if companies start banning people who are over the top with their trash talk (thoroughly disregarding the reality of being a human in a world like this one) - the gaming industry will make much more money. Simple put a warning box at the log in and put it in the EULA that you will be banned from both competitive and "clean" servers if you engage in the behavior.

Not only that, but it would generate jobs. There would be a need for people who can monitor the recordings and address reported issues. More profit + job creation + online video games being accessible to people who were raped for therapy = WIN for everyone except the most evil of people.

People talk about freedom - well these companies are free to generate jobs, make more money, and make their product a viable therapeutic tool. It is only logical. This would certainly guarantee, from what I have experienced, many shrinks would be willing to recommend online gaming to their patients if the environment that permeates them were "cleaner." Video games have been indispensable in my own healing, and certainly in that of many others who would prefer not to speak about it.

I was looking to address the issue of the word "rape" among many gamers and how it has affected the gaming industry. People tried to turn it into a thread about everything BUT that, but I think most of them are trying to justify their own evil actions in an attempt to avoid holding THEMSELVES accountable for what they have done and how it may have affected people.

I think your post is a perfect example of when someone is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, and no we dont need to do something about a Troll, the moderators on gamespot is perfectly able to deal with this kid who thinks its fun to troll, exactly like you can when most games have Mute, team chat, team servers and people can find like minded people and play with them and go on teamspeak with them, then all you suggest is like trying to kill flies with nuclear bombs.

Anomaly1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Anomaly1989

@Jacanuk said:

@anomaly1989 said:

@BranKetra said:

I think your post is a perfect example of when someone is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, and no we dont need to do something about a Troll, the moderators on gamespot is perfectly able to deal with this kid who thinks its fun to troll, exactly like you can when most games have Mute, team chat, team servers and people can find like minded people and play with them and go on teamspeak with them, then all you suggest is like trying to kill flies with nuclear bombs.

Regardless of your inability to follow the logic behind my comment (being that people like him are in online video games), you proved my point. The moderators were there to deal with him and the problem was resolved. His second post just showed what narcissism and psychopathy look like (literal psychopathy - being unable to understand what it is like to be in the next person's shoes). More validation added to my point.

So it is your opinion that rape victims should just mute everyone in every lobby they join? In reality, many of them just stop playing games online. Or kills themselves. Or go find drugs. Before the industrial age and the controlled substances act - people just smoked opium (which as we know, is a bad plan).

I could imagine, it would have been very difficult for me if I had no way to escape what I had been through. In fact, I would argue that it would have been worse for society than it would have been for me. Of course, this was all before I read a Gospel for myself.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#56  Edited By trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

@anomaly1989 said:

I myself use video games for therapy. Video games have been indispensable in my own healing.

Video games are your only tool to heal your broken feelings from tragic events that happened to you in the real world?

HAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

Oh man, that was h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s! The entire gaming industry should make extremely strict rules prohibiting their customers from making their games more fun by talking shit to strangers while playing the game because you and a very small tribe of emo doormats refuse to get professional therapeutic help for all your problems? Gotcha.

I love how you think the entire world should bend over backwards to be extra nice to you since you've had some hard times in the past. So has everyone else, you selfish little crybaby. You just admitted you won't even pay professionals to help you, but you insist everyone does their best to make you happy for free, and that corporations make extra-strict rules to accommodate your laughably delicate sensitivity.

Hey, instead of paying money to play games you're just gonna lose at while getting insulted and laughed at, your best bet is to choose a dark, quiet corner to curl up into a ball and rock yourself into a calm state of serenity in. See there? I just helped you for free, like a champ. You're welcome...

Anomaly1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Anomaly1989

@trollop_scat said:

@anomaly1989 said:

I myself use video games for therapy. Video games have been indispensable in my own healing.

Video games are your only tool to heal your broken feelings from tragic events that happened to you in the real world?

HAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

Oh man, that was h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s! The entire gaming industry should make extremely strict rules prohibiting their customers from making their games more fun by talking shit to strangers while playing the game because you and a very small tribe of emo doormats refuse to get professional therapeutic help for all your problems? Gotcha.

I love how you think the entire world should bend over backwards to be extra nice to you since you've had some hard times in the past. So has everyone else, you selfish little crybaby. You just admitted you won't even pay professionals to help you, but you insist everyone does their best to make you happy for free, and that corporations make extra-strict rules to accommodate your laughably delicate sensitivity.

Hey, instead of paying money to play games you're just gonna lose at while getting insulted and laughed at, your best bet is to choose a dark, quiet corner to curl up into a ball and rock yourself into a calm state of serenity in. See there? I just helped you for free, like a champ. You're welcome...

Yes instead of using a shrink to deal with my experiences with gun violence (among other things you probably never had to deal with) I used video games. But in the context I am using this, I am saying that someone else who chooses to use video games as a theraputic tool who had been literally raped and possibly infected with HIV would be unable to thanks to people like you.

What is truly hilarious is that you would never talk to me like that in real life. I didn't spend my youth preparing myself to work for a corporation. I spent most of it avoiding getting shot or caged. But thanks for your input, you have been truly *indispensable* in proving my points, and I didn't even have to hire a professional in Perception Management, drone.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

Yes instead of using a shrink to deal with my experiences with gun violence I used video games.

*Guffaw*

Counterstrike? Halo? Which shooter?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#59  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@anomaly1989 said:

Regardless of your inability to follow the logic behind my comment (being that people like him are in online video games), you proved my point. The moderators were there to deal with him and the problem was resolved. His second post just showed what narcissism and psychopathy look like (literal psychopathy - being unable to understand what it is like to be in the next person's shoes). More validation added to my point.

So it is your opinion that rape victims should just mute everyone in every lobby they join? In reality, many of them just stop playing games online. Or kills themselves. Or go find drugs. Before the industrial age and the controlled substances act - people just smoked opium (which as we know, is a bad plan).

I could imagine, it would have been very difficult for me if I had no way to escape what I had been through. In fact, I would argue that it would have been worse for society than it would have been for me. Of course, this was all before I read a Gospel for myself.

Oh, i get your logic. You are wanting everyone else to pay in a sense for someone else's troubled life. And yes i am aware that we are just talking about a word, but thats exactly the problem, right now you are just talking about one word Rape, and because most intelligent empathic people can see that Rape is a terrible word you won't find anyone who won't agree that its bad and people using it should potentially be banned, except if they start to think about what you're actually suggesting.

You are suggesting censoring people for a word that for a huge majority of gamers have absolute no deeper meaning whatsoever, and also when there are numerous ways of dealing with those few people who use it, in most games you can today mute that person without muting anyone else, you can play with friends or people you know won't use such words or simply play on your own server and ban anyone you like.

So no my opinion is not what you said, its that you should stop trying to make something out of nothing and stop trying to make others pay for one persons difficult life particular when games are not made for people to be used as a therapeutic tool, those people should look for professional help as that is a lot better. And also a lot safer for the general public.

But i am sorry to hear you had a hard time but i think perhaps this is way to close to allow you to look at this from a objective stance and really see that you are suggesting to censor people and that any censorship even that on private owned servers, forums and sites are a slippery slope that no one should go down. When we talk about such a small thing as a rape or other curse words.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@trollop_scat said:

@MirkoS77: You just echoed what I said earlier, so I'll elaborate a little as nicely as possible so BranKetra doesn't once again use his trembling hand to delete my informative post that doesn't support the cowardly gist of this thread...

I've been on the internet since 1999 - a time when it was full of adult white males who enjoyed talking smack and posting pictures of naked women. Thanks to the big web sites that emerged from the muck, and all the women, children, and minorities who joined on-line communities, the 'net is nowhere nearly as impressive as it was because there are rules on top of rules attempting to soften and dumb down everything so everyone can participate. What used to be an unruly college classroom is now like a southern suburban schoolhouse that puts everything from first graders to twelfth graders in the same big room.

I was an undergraduate in those days and entered flame competitions against very bright men who wove between logic/humor/and viciousness like true masters of the Word, proving sharp minds stay sharp by jousting against other sharp minds. It took days to compose proper retorts, full of photoshops, jokes, and culminating with a final crushing point. Winning those huge flame wars was glorious, but even losing them against the baddest guys wasn't shameful because you could say "Good match" afterwards and get complemented on your work that came up just a bit short of victory. I would pump out papers for English and History in a matter of hours, but painstakingly pour every ounce of my ability in the posts I submitted in proper flame wars on sites that have become all but extinct by now.

And now thanks to time and on-line culture change I see how spineless and helpless its denizens have become, starting threads like this one. Spelling and grammar are gone, fighting spirit is nowhere to be seen, mods walk the halls with their mops and brooms like good little janitors working for pats on their heads. It's disgusting. I've seen threads full of the most brutal text, horrible pictures, personal information used against people, etc but I prefer that to sites full of annoying rules and censorship.

I'm a borderline great guy in real life, I never publicly curse or use any racist terms and am always a gentleman to ladies, regardless of their looks and girth. Little things go wrong sometimes and I just smile about it in the real world. But when I sit down in front of my 30" monitor at home I'm ready to let loose and play the game of verbal war against any and all for fun, or play a game with strangers and burn doughnut holes through them by the time our game is over, regardless the digital victor.

Anyway, feel free to talk bad about me or to me whenever you want - you'll be surprised how intense and fun it can be. To give you creeps a healthy head start, here's my pic (it's four days old):

Save that pic because this post will probably be deleted by a noodle-armed muderator who drops to his or her knees to scrub real hard like one did my previous honest post. Hit me as hard as you can whenever you want - I'll be waiting for you...

Giving me some ammunition, eh? You sure that's wise? ;)

I joined the net at around the same time you did and am familiar with what you're referring to. Some who've claimed that the net today is currently a festering cesspool I have to question at what point they discovered it as it's far more Disneyland than it's ever been before. Today's online is nothing comparatively viewed to 15 years ago. Mods are rampant everywhere, rules and restrictions pervade. The slightest insinuations or implications merit reportings.

But, even back then I think your examples bring to light a distinction that's yet to be made, really, and is important to continuing the discussion.

Things were done (often very) harshly, but usually always in good spirits and with the understanding of a strange sort of "disrespect" but also an underlying, feel of admiration for one's foe and ability, and as you said great effort was always put in in the attempt to bust balls as efficiently and sharply as possible. This is what I think many here don't quite understand (or at least I'm not getting), so I think you and I are on the same wavelength debating against those that here seem to be taking more issue to the 12 year old screaming CoD brats that (I'll admit) really do not add anything of value to an online match aside from incoherent screaming, raging nonsense. The reason for the mute button. However, they still do give immense humor value for what they're worth. So I can understand their desire to tone these tools down.

But there is still those out there who understand the art of slinging dirt with a witty tongue backed by a keen mind, and it's with this I don't want that particular freedom removed on the account of the antics of those CoD kids or due to the over-sensitivity of someone's past history that don't understand that within a visceral online MP exchange, there's a method to the madness. It's good to see you do.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@BranKetra said:

What is freedom without oversight?

It is anarchy.

In an earlier post, I mentioned the very same thing you mentioned as the reasoning why players talk foul to their opponents or even their teammates (if applicable). I am surprised it was ignored. I believe a large portion of what is said can be instead utilized differently for more actual competitive play rather than talking. My experiences with video games and sports have affirmed that belief in the form of my skills as a player. Rather than using a portion of my energies to return foul-language, I focus on the gameplay. Being bombarded with foul communication actually is something I am unwilling to pay for and money talks, so-to-speak. Why anyone would pay for that is a curious thing.

Loved the video.

Well, I myself don't mind it because.......

Loading Video...

Anomaly1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Anomaly1989

@trollop_scat said:

Yes instead of using a shrink to deal with my experiences with gun violence I used video games.

*Guffaw*

Counterstrike? Halo? Which shooter?

Shooters work well for this purpose. The gun range is better tho, when I can afford to go (which is rare). A lot of combat vets use the gun range for PTSD from war.

Labyrias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Labyrias
Member since 2014 • 27 Posts

Im sorry but could someone explain the "my feelings over your rights" notion in a rational manner?
Because this is all the entire thing tumbles down to.
Some people are offended/reminded on a traumatic experience by this word. None of these things mean a damn thing. The question is: Why does being offended give you additional rights?
Other people should be banned because you are offended or hurt. What the hell is up with that notion?

At the same time: Im very sorry you had a traumatic experience and i hope that whoever committed that hideous act on you is put behind bars, but excuse me. What the hell does that have to do with me? I should be potentially banned from games because YOU do not have your emotions under control and claim that i should do it for you by selecting the words i use as if i was on some sort of mine field?

The fact of the matter is that "rape" and all kinds of offensive words are not up to any arguments, they are merely irrational demands of a hurt ego, and while im really sorry for that and i hope it gets better, you should not enforce your own mental issues on other people. Because thats all what this really is.

Your problems in my neck.
A lot of people lose their lives in car accidents and tornadoes too.
Should we ban people for talking about cars and the weather too? I mean, they are touchy subjects for SOME people too.
In fact, we should take out the chat entirely from games. Thats probably for the best, and let the only means of communication be the emote :)

Get a grip on reality please.

mario-galaxys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 mario-galaxys
Member since 2011 • 574 Posts

Why is this old thread bumped?

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

lol @ "let's not use emotionally damaging words in video games" while cutting people in half with the chainsaw.

What if someone had a traumatic experience with a chainsaw, and you're sitting there chainsawing people in half.

What if someone's parent or sibling or loved one got SHOT or MURDERED and you're sitting there SHOOTING people in a video game, have you no respect for kids in that elementary school that got shot up?

Is getting raped worse than getting killed?

I laugh at the dumbass "morality" of some people, like "yeah I just mowed thru 8 guys with a machine gun but don't say rape."

Morality starts at the top.

When you have leaders who kill people for oil profits, who say, "screw kids with cancer, we need %2 more profits on the stock exchange" how do you expect the rest of us to think? That killing people is wrong? That rape is wrong? That hatred and xenophobia are wrong? That theft is wrong?

Oh but we have no problem throwing millions of grown men in prison where rape is RAMPANT for things like tax evasion, not paying your child support, or smoking a plant that grew out of the ground.

Real talk.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@anomaly1989: OK well lets see troll thread yall know it folks so yeah why not trololol plus it is 2am:

Was my response arrogant, am I part of the problem? **** yeah. See my response is the avg. and many gamers don't care. Sure you'll see some smart ass posts or "backsliders" acting like they never joined in on the fun. Fact is I'll never play COD without being called a ******, bitch, ****, all of the above. Enough said you still don't get it? Lets look at MMOs or most competitive online games. What do they all have in common? Most are known to have a shitty community including titans like WOW and LOL. Why this thread troll hard, you make a thread about this and ask why when you know the answer puhlease. No I'm not going to be cordial about it and blah blah blah. Its about time I guess casuals realize this has ALWAYS been an inherent problem within the gaming community and especially in the competitive scene. Anyone who acts ignorant to this fact I call BS especially you since most likely you joined game spots email list. Well it all goes to Promotional lulz. I mean seriously, some major tournaments do not allow males and females to compete with each other. You seriously asked this question when the gaming community is that fucked up? Moreover, If a therapist told you to play COD you should get a new one lulz common sense should tell you that. Lastly, I'm pretty sure most therapeutic games are NOT the overtly aggressive competitive games where this behavior is common.

Anomaly1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Anomaly1989

For clarity:

This thread is not about whether or not you think people should play shooters if they have been traumatized by violence. If you manage to read the thread before posting an essay on why you want to be able to say whatever you want, you will realize that your arguments don't even make sense given the context it was brought up in. Even if they did, your arguments are still invalid. To avoid debating this tangent, I won't explain how.

This thread is not about your opinion of our government. Our government does not have anything to do with people who have been raped not being able to play online games competitively (or at all, for that matter) due to the constant use of the word "rape" in gaming culture. If you think having a corrupt government is an excuse to be immoral, you will find that every nation in the history of the world might as well have embraced lawlessness. Thank God they did not.

This thread does not pertain to your rights. The 1st amendment has nothing to do with unrestricted hate speech in online gaming. Saying "you just got raped" is hate speech. It degrades people who have really been raped. It's akin to saying "you just got gassed and thrown in the oven" every time you beat someone in a video game. Countless women and children have been victimized by rape. Some will be today. Many of them commit suicide as a result, and have throughout all of history. This is a serious issue whether or not your desensitized ego believes it.

This thread is not about whether or not your exceptional minds believe those women and children should be playing video games as therapy.

This thread IS about the right of those people who were raped to play video games without being mentally assaulted. The fact that video games ARE very therapeutic is more important than any other function video games serve.

Your 1st amendment rights do not prevent gaming companies from limiting your hate speech. There is not a lawyer in the world who would argue otherwise and expect to win a lawsuit.

It is my very strong opinion that they should indeed restrict your hate speech. It is also my opinion that it is in the interest of their own profits to do so. I have already made a strong case for this, and no clear and concise response has been made to the contrary.

It is amazing that I still generally find my work at temp services that are hiring people to do mindless labor jobs. Talk about marketing. Mixing advertising with clinical evaluation is the single best marketing strategy since chemical enhancement. How no one has implemented this strategy, not even once, I have absolutely no idea. If it worked for artery clogging bacon and eggs, it can surely work for video games - even (and in some cases especially) violent ones. Even better: there would be no need to put a spin on it. Video games truly are extremely therapeutic for people who have been traumatized.

Do any of you have any *logical* arguments against this? Of course not. There are none.

Anomaly1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Anomaly1989

@notorious1234na:

I agree that lulz are in order for any COD recommending therapist. Therapeutic games require thought, concentration, strategy, fun, and skill. Especially in FPS games.

Other than that: my dog is more thought-provoking than your post.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@mario-galaxys: hmm so necro post figures

uh no OP u asked and I'll quote you:

@anomaly1989"Why is it so popular to use this word in video game culture? " word in question rape or ***

You thought my post was trash great that is your answer and my point glad to see we understand lol

Anomaly1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Anomaly1989

@anomaly1989"Why is it so popular to use this word in video game culture? " word in question rape or ***

Both are forms of hate speech and should be disallowed. As a Christian, there are few things more annoying than another Christian running around calling homosexuals "fags" and calling promiscuous women "whores" while pretending to evangelize. God was quite specific about not judging outside the church, and was also very specific about foul language that does not serve the betterment of others souls. However, wide-spread use of the word "rape" in this context originated in the real gaming culture of America and not the erred religious culture of America. Hence the gamespot post.

Yes all hate speech should be disallowed, however the use of the word "rape" is especially damaging to the gaming community and is specifically relevant to the gaming community. That is why this post is about that specific word. Why has every other poster tried to work the angle of "what about this or that?" Well, I am not discussing "this or that" right now and the reason for this specific discussion is obvious to anyone who has ever played a video game. The profits being lost already are also relevant to gaming companies, as are the potential profits to be gained.

You did not actually answer the question, btw.