The Stanley Parable sold over 100,000 copies in 3 days

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

The Stanley Parable is coming out today on Steam and I just played the demo. It's quite possibly the greatest demo I ever played, but the problem is that if I would explain why, I would completely ruin it. I went in without knowing anything about it and that's really the only way to do it.

I will just say that it is completely unique and witty and a definite must-play.

Check it out on Steam now.

Alright, so the reviews are starting to come in so I'll edit the thread title and first post.

I'm not going to read any reviews because I want to play the game completely fresh, but I'll list some notable scores for anyone interested:

• Eurogamer: 9/10
  • GameSpot 9/10

UPDATE: According to Eurogamer, The Stanley Parable has sold over 100,000 copies in just 3 days.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#2 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I've got it downloaded. Been meaning to get around to playing it. Maybe I'll finally do so today. Loved the original mod, so I've got high hopes for it.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I'll get on it when I get home.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Is it like FTL?

Will download when i get home. Your last recommendation turned me into an addict so this is a must play.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

Is it like FTL?

Will download when i get home. Your last recommendation turned me into an addict so this is a must play.

No its not like FTL , The Stanley Parable is a game but its not a game, its a demo but its not a demo, you will play as stanley, you will not play as stanley.

Its short a satirical look on games and the gaming industry :D

And yes its great experience.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I might get it... maybe.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jacanuk

@gameofthering said:

I might get it... maybe.

You might get it, you might not get it, you might play it, you might not play it, you might like it, you might not like it :D

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UpInFlames

@S0lidSnake said:

Is it like FTL?

Nothing like FTL. It reminded me of Portal in a way, but it's not like Portal either.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UpInFlames

@Jacanuk said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Is it like FTL?

No its not like FTL , The Stanley Parable is a game but its not a game, its a demo but its not a demo, you will play as stanley, you will not play as stanley.

Its short a satirical look on games and the gaming industry :D

And yes its great experience.

Pretty much, yeah. And what's thoroughly amazing is that the demo is worth playing in and of itself even if you're already dead-set on buying the game.

Anyone who doesn't know anything about it, this is the official description of The Stanley Parable:

The Stanley Parable is a first person exploration game. You will play as Stanley, and you will not play as Stanley. You will follow a story, you will not follow a story. You will have a choice, you will have no choice. The game will end, the game will never end. Contradiction follows contradiction, the rules of how games should work are broken, then broken again. This world was not made for you to understand.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

#intrigued

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69439 Posts

I played the demo and well, I just don't get it. Its interesting but it felt meaningless. Probably I just too dense.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jacanuk

@Pedro said:

I played the demo and well, I just don't get it. Its interesting but it felt meaningless. Probably I just too dense.

Thats the whole point, there is absolutely no meaning to the demo :) So nah you're not too dense

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By UpInFlames

@dvader654 said:

I'm intrigued and I don't want to know anything about it. Except will it run on my crappy PC

It uses the Half-Life 2 engine.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jacanuk

@dvader654 said:

I'm intrigued and I don't want to know anything about it. Except will it run on my crappy PC

If you can run Portal 2 you can run this, because its base on the same engine.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I had a good laugh with the demo

SuperMassive20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 SuperMassive20
Member since 2006 • 176 Posts

Getting this as soon as I get home, a truly unique experience loved the demo so much

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

This game looks really really fun. And fun in the sense of having some laughs throughout the game.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

it looks good but my laptop can't run it. there will presumably be a console version at some point and i'll check that out.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I played it for about 3 hours so far and I think I've unlocked 10 different endings so far. Looks like there's easily 30 or 40 more.

Definitely a 9 out of 10. Stands right up there with AAA games like Rayman Legends and Bioshock Infinite for sure.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 UpInFlames

The Stanley Parable is topping the Steam charts right now and is selling better than Arkham City (which is half the price of The Stanley Parable right now), F1 2014, The Wolf Among Us, Arkham Origins, Call of Duty: Ghosts and Rome II. Pretty impressive.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

Enjoyed the demo, but I feel it is too much money for what it is so I will pick it up probably on the holiday sales. If it was $5.00 I would be all over it, but for such a short game it doesn't seem worth what they want for it.

This goes right beside Gone Home which I feel the same about. Will hopefully get them both for a good price on the next steam sale.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

What the **** did I play?

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UpInFlames

According to Eurogamer, The Stanley Parable has sold 100,000 copies in just three days. Developer Davey Wreden attributes the success to the bizarre marketing campaign which didn't show anything of the final game. All of the trailers where wholly unique and even the demo was a completely separate standalone release.

"We spent two years making The Stanley Parable. For an extra two months work, we get an entire second game's worth of press. That seems like too good a deal to risk going without."

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

It's definitely amusing. There are poems about writing poems, songs about writing songs, movies that explore the concept of "being a movie," and now a game exploring what it means to be a game and the relationship between the designer and the player and maybe even the player's avatar. I would put it on the required playing list, but I'd also say 11.99 is a little steep for most people for what this game is. Wait a few months and the game will be just as relevant but may cost a little less.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

That's a lot for a piece of garbage.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

@dvader654 said:

I just tried the demo and I really enjoyed it. I still have no clue what the game is about but I think that was the point. It was great cause it had a funny british narrator and every game with a funny british narrator is fantastic (seriously look it up). But I dont think the actual game has a funny british narrator so I will pass on it for now.

The actual game has the funny British narrator. He has a ton of lines.